Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone edition 10 "THE BUTTERFLY" initial impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultrasone edition 10 "THE BUTTERFLY" initial impressions - Page 9

post #121 of 2067

Thanks again for your detailed and continuing impressions.  With the custom HP stand included in the package as part of the overall presentation my anticipation is certainly growing.  I'm having the cable reterminated, however, before I even receive it from my dealer.

 

I have never experienced the Edition 9s but I did audition the stock 8s as well as TWag recabled 8s.  I'm hoping that the 10s cable is of higher quality than the 8s, because recabling it would help the SQ, but possibly negatively affect resale value...although this may very well turn out to be a keeper on my part.

post #122 of 2067

 

I must admit, the whole idea of "getting worse before they get better" seems very off-putting to me. I'm not in any way denying or affirming the phenomena (how can I when I don't even have my Ed. 10 yet?) but rather speaking from the standpoint of my past experience with headphones and what I view to be reasonable expectations.

 

Yesterday I came across another post here on head-fi were someone mentioned that their Ultrasone Proline (not Edition) was sounding worse after many, many hours of burning-in. It seems a few people at least have experienced burn-in making their Ultrasones worse. I haven't encountered these sorts of comments before now, but I'm sure they've come up with at least a few other manufacturers and aren't exclusive to Ultrasone.

 

That being said, I'm still VERY excited (if a bit nervous now) to get my pair of Ed. 10. Last I heard Ultrasone USA still hadn't gotten any in. That was about a week ago, so hopefully it wont be long now.

 

In the meantime, I can enjoy the Edition 9 that I purchased from a fellow head-fier. Running those off of my brother's Beta 22 and my own forth-coming WA22 and Leben CS300xs should be really nice!


Edited by MuppetFace - 10/27/10 at 7:28am
post #123 of 2067



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

 

I must admit, the whole idea of "getting worse before they get better" seems very off-putting to me. I'm not in any way denying or affirming the phenomena (how can I when I don't even have my Ed. 10 yet?) but rather speaking from the standpoint of my past experience with headphones and what I view to be reasonable expectations.

 

Yesterday I came across another post here on head-fi were someone mentioned that their Ultrasone Proline (not Edition) was sounding worse after many, many hours of burning-in. It seems a few people at least have experienced burn-in making their Ultrasones worse. I haven't encountered these sorts of comments before now, but I'm sure they've come up with at least a few other manufacturers and aren't exclusive to Ultrasone.

 

That being said, I'm still VERY excited (if a bit nervous now) to get my pair of Ed. 10. Last I heard Ultrasone USA still hadn't gotten any in. That was about a week ago, so hopefully it wont be long now.

 

In the meantime, I can enjoy the Edition 9 that I purchased from a fellow head-fier. Running those off of my brother's Beta 22 and my own forth-coming WA22 and Leben CS300xs should be really nice!



I can speak by my experience with my Edition 9. I remember out of the box they sounded very good then I start burning them from about 10 hours to about 80 hours they did not sound as good and then after that they start improving every hour. I burned them in for 400 hours and they have not changed since. I am like you, waiting for my Edition 10.

 

Last week I tried for the second time a friend's pair of LCD-2 but this time with the Zeus aftermarket cable. They improved a lot with h=this cableinstead of the stock cable but there is still something that don't sell me 100% on them. I think it is osmehting on the soundstage presentation but I have't been able to pin point it.

post #124 of 2067

When I got my Ed8's, at first I was very impressed with them.  Once I had gotten over their speed and other aspects to wow about, I began to notice a bass that was a tad too much especially for some recordings and a midrange that was a tad forward.  I wasn't as happy as when I started.  With time, I grew accustomed to the sound and really enjoyed them.

 

Seems like the experience with Ultrasones are similar.  

post #125 of 2067
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman59 View Post

 

Last week I tried for the second time a friend's pair of LCD-2 but this time with the Zeus aftermarket cable. They improved a lot with h=this cableinstead of the stock cable but there is still something that don't sell me 100% on them. I think it is osmehting on the soundstage presentation but I have't been able to pin point it.


 

This is exactly my experience.  My friend has the Zeus cables too and i liked them a lot better with them.  I even preordered them.  I then auditioned them again and liked them but there was still something about the presentation that was off to me.  In the end I didn't get them.  I am having difficulties at home with open headphones and noise, the presentation was off for me, and I was low on funds at that point.  

 

When i got the funds together+ and realized that i needed closed and the presentation problem, I ended up getting the Ed8 limited and i am very happy that i listened to my own voice instead of the hype of the LCD2's.

post #126 of 2067
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallan View Post




instead of the hype of the LCD2's.


I thought it was hype too...then I bought a pair...there is no hype...the best headphones (especially paired with a good silver aftermarket headphone cable) I've ever heard. I have the Ed. 8 limitied editions dropping in tomorrow hopefully (looking at you FedEx) and I've heard the standard Ed. 8s a few times and can say NOTHING has astounded me like the LCD-2s.

 

But if you need a closed headphone for great sound and isolation...I have yet to find any better than the Edition 8s.

post #127 of 2067



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post




I thought it was hype too...then I bought a pair...there is no hype...the best headphones (especially paired with a good silver aftermarket headphone cable) I've ever heard. I have the Ed. 8 limitied editions dropping in tomorrow hopefully (looking at you FedEx) and I've heard the standard Ed. 8s a few times and can say NOTHING has astounded me like the LCD-2s.

 

But if you need a closed headphone for great sound and isolation...I have yet to find any better than the Edition 8s.

 

I am glad you like them especially if you bought a pair without listening to them first. I personally like the sound of my T1/Zeus cable out if my WA5-LE better than the LCD-2 out of the same amplifier or my Rudistor RP010B. I have to admit that out of the Rudi they sound better (my guess is that since they are planar they require quite a bit of current) but still prefer the T1/Zeus or the HD800/Complement combination out of the Woo.

 

I placed a pre-order for the LCD-2 and really try to like them and as I said I gave them a try twice. Once with the stock cable and the second with the Zeus cable but there was still something that I can not clearly identify that is holding me back. By the way the original second audition was with the intention to compare the Zeus cable to another well known aftermarket cable made of Copper and Silver. When I installed this other cable I the LCD-2 they sounded horrible. All the bass was basically gone and the soundstage was very diffused to the point that the stock cable was sounding a lot better. Well after checking the cable with a voltimeter I realized it was built with the right channel out of phase so the comparison with the Zeus could not be done. i ws surprise that a well know aftermarket maker sends out a cable without checking it. This is the seconf time it happened to me the first one was with a RAL balanced cable. That one I bought it used and almost new. The original owner did not like it, well I found out why... The pin configuration was a total mess so I fix it myself and probelm resolved.

 

Anyway, since i was not 100% sold on the CLD-2 I pre-ordere the Edition 10. based on the two short reviews I have read I think I will like them.
 

post #128 of 2067
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman59 View Post



 

 

I am glad you like them especially if you bought a pair without listening to them first. I personally like the sound of my T1/Zeus cable out if my WA5-LE better than the LCD-2 out of the same amplifier or my Rudistor RP010B. I have to admit that out of the Rudi they sound better (my guess is that since they are planar they require quite a bit of current) but still prefer the T1/Zeus or the HD800/Complement combination out of the Woo.

 

I placed a pre-order for the LCD-2 and really try to like them and as I said I gave them a try twice. Once with the stock cable and the second with the Zeus cable but there was still something that I can not clearly identify that is holding me back. By the way the original second audition was with the intention to compare the Zeus cable to another well known aftermarket cable made of Copper and Silver. When I installed this other cable I the LCD-2 they sounded horrible. All the bass was basically gone and the soundstage was very diffused to the point that the stock cable was sounding a lot better. Well after checking the cable with a voltimeter I realized it was built with the right channel out of phase so the comparison with the Zeus could not be done. i ws surprise that a well know aftermarket maker sends out a cable without checking it. This is the seconf time it happened to me the first one was with a RAL balanced cable. That one I bought it used and almost new. The original owner did not like it, well I found out why... The pin configuration was a total mess so I fix it myself and probelm resolved.

 

Anyway, since i was not 100% sold on the CLD-2 I pre-ordere the Edition 10. based on the two short reviews I have read I think I will like them.
 


Hopefully the Ed. 10s will be more to your liking.

 

I find that with a very good pure silver interconnect (like the Moon Audio Silver Dragon), the LCD-2s are absolutely the best representation of real life I've heard through headphones...but I can understand why you prefer the T1s. I do to when compared to the LCD-2s with the stock cable. I want to clarify that by "hype" being true, I meant to say, that the LCD-2s are truly one of the very best headphones one can own. Not a small measure for sure, especially for a small company like Audeze to release a product that competes with beyerdynamics and Sennheiser (both around for more than 60 years).

 

The Ed. 10s (like the Ed.8 Limited Edition) certainly look like the Bugati's of headphones.

post #129 of 2067

Still patiently awaiting my Edition 10. 

 

On a somewhat related note, I just listened to the Edition 9 for the first time. I am quite impressed. I'll get into more detail when I post my Edition 10 impressions. Suffice to say, running from the Concerto and Beta 22 the bass seemed a bit sloppy compared to the Edition 8 but overall the 9 seemed more detailed.

post #130 of 2067

^ As I am patiently awaiting your reply to my PM. ;-)

post #131 of 2067
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

Still patiently awaiting my Edition 10. 

 

On a somewhat related note, I just listened to the Edition 9 for the first time. I am quite impressed. I'll get into more detail when I post my Edition 10 impressions. Suffice to say, running from the Concerto and Beta 22 the bass seemed a bit sloppy compared to the Edition 8 but overall the 9 seemed more detailed.



My Edition 9 are re-cabled balanced with APS V3 but I made an A/B comparison using a XLR to TRS adapter against a stock Edition 8 using both driven by a Rudistor RPX-33 MkII. Comfort wise the Edition 8 wins but the over all music tone and presentation I personally prefer my Edition 9 over the stock Edition 8.

 

I did not notice the bass issue you mention but again it could be becuase of the APS cable.

post #132 of 2067

Two sets of Edition 10 just arrived in Bangkok. I was lucky enough to test one of them out of the box. Admittedly, I have to swallow my previous comments that Edition 10 is a marketing gimmick...because its sound quality is SO IMPRESSIVE in every aspect. I can't wait until it is burned in properly. 

 

IMG00336-20101029-1626.jpg

ED10 truly killer headphone..jpg

post #133 of 2067

Oh no...must...resist...

post #134 of 2067

"Resistance is futile"

post #135 of 2067
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyOne View Post


"Resistance is futile"



No.

Resistance is E/I.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone edition 10 "THE BUTTERFLY" initial impressions