Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Beats by dre solo problems
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Beats by dre solo problems

post #1 of 36
Thread Starter 

I just bought a used pair of beats by dre solo. Got them from kijiji (like craigslist)

 

The person wanted to get rid of them because of the well known headband breaking problem, apparently they happen to most beats

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VrUlRbZ71w

 

 

But it's a pretty easy fix (super glue, tape-clip)so I bought them from him. He went and bought another pair. I'm pretty sure that they are real, but you can never be sure so if anybody has any clues or tips please share 

 

But when I used this pair, they don't sound amazing

 

I mean compared to regular headphones they are good and have good isolation, but the noise of the music is too high and it's hard to hear the noise of the vocalist

 

I would say that they are not as good as my sennheiser HD238's

 

Also the control talk (volume up, down) does not work - is this just a cable problem?

 

Does anyone know how to fix these problems

 

Thank you,photo (12).JPGphoto (11).JPG

 

photo (10).JPG

post #2 of 36

Well, I hate to break it to you, but there is a reason for them not sounding that much better.

 

It's because they aren't.

 

The control depends largely on what player you're using. Are you using it out of something other than an iPod?

post #3 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by revolink24 View Post

Well, I hate to break it to you, but there is a reason for them not sounding that much better.

 

It's because they aren't.

 

The control depends largely on what player you're using. Are you using it out of something other than an iPod?

 

Well I hope that that's what it is 

 

I know that there overpriced and bought them to resell

 

Sennheiser> Beats     any day

 

I am using my iphone and the computer and it doesn't work for either

 

 

post #4 of 36

I have listened to both the Solos and the HD238... the Solo is muddy and very 'muffled' sounding, the HD238 is steely and bright, with a good bit more bass, very clean and clear though. I would daresay spending half the amount on a Sennheiser 'phone is like spending twice that on most mainstream brands... and in this case, the cheaper one sounds much better. It may be worth noting that Consumer Reports Magazine gave the Solo a lower score in the sound department than the $30 earbuds that ship with iPods... They really are that bad.

post #5 of 36
Thread Starter 

 

 

And now my solo's just randomly break (one side stops working alltogether)

 

I was just listening to music, nothing at all happened and one stopped

 

I really hope that this is a problem with the headphone wire!!!

 

'I would daresay spending half the amount on a Sennheiser 'phone is like spending twice that on most mainstream brands... and in this case, the cheaper one sounds much better.'

 

Got sennheisers (brand new) for 20$ and beats for 40$ so I guess that's a good comparison lol

 

Still cheaper than most though

 

I planned to resell the beats to somebody for 150+ and make some quick cash 

 

post #6 of 36
Thread Starter 

Does anyone know if it could be the wire?

post #7 of 36

Check your cable to see if it's frayed or any contacts are loose, and try moving it around a bit to see if you can get sound on the broken side.  I've read about some beats cables breaking pretty easily in certain reviews.  I'm not familiar with all of the beats versions, but I do believe some have very easily replaceable cables, maybe try out another cable.  If you contact Monster they might be able to help you too, since I'm sure they get these complaints all the time.

Unfortunately beats aren't really known to sound very good and their durability is often a big issue.

post #8 of 36

It could be a fake solo, did the seller had a receipt for the headphones?

post #9 of 36
Thread Starter 

ok

 

I`ll try thanks

post #10 of 36
Thread Starter 

I wiggled it in every way possible it still didn`t work 

 

interestingly the one ear phone now sounds better 

 

I don`t think that they are fake but it`s possible.

 

Do you know the signs of a fake, cause I googled it and there are no signs given for the solos, only for the studios and the tours

post #11 of 36
Thread Starter 

Even if it is fake

 

I don`t understand how one of the the ears could just spontenously stop working,

 

I tested it out when the guy had it and also by myself and it worked fine

 

and now it just breaks down in the middle of a song.

 

If (hopefully not) this is a problem with the phones themselves how much would it cost to repair (question mark key isn`t working...)

 

Thanks for the answer guys

post #12 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy21 View Post

Even if it is fake

 

I don`t understand how one of the the ears could just spontenously stop working,

 

I tested it out when the guy had it and also by myself and it worked fine

 

and now it just breaks down in the middle of a song.

 

If (hopefully not) this is a problem with the phones themselves how much would it cost to repair (question mark key isn`t working...)

 

Thanks for the answer guys


IF a wire doesn't make good enough connectivity( which happens when they are as bad of a build quality as even REAL beats then the side will stopp working.

post #13 of 36

I wear a demo pair of these at work (lol advertising frown.gif) and the volume control on our demo pair randomly died within a week of opening the box. I was wearing them and using them with on a lunch break because I'd forgotten my buds at home, and the volume control simply died while I was using it. 

 

Build quality on these are simply awful. Our pair of Beats Studio developed an issue in the right ear about 3 weeks after opening the box. So we have 2 demo pairs that are both malfunctioning ... what are the odds lol?

post #14 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirbel View Post

I wear a demo pair of these at work (lol advertising frown.gif) and the volume control on our demo pair randomly died within a week of opening the box. I was wearing them and using them with on a lunch break because I'd forgotten my buds at home, and the volume control simply died while I was using it. 

 

Build quality on these are simply awful. Our pair of Beats Studio developed an issue in the right ear about 3 weeks after opening the box. So we have 2 demo pairs that are both malfunctioning ... what are the odds lol?

 

Probably pretty good odds considering the build quality
 

post #15 of 36
Thread Starter 

what that sucks

 

is the wire fixable?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Beats by dre solo problems