Anyone else have their pair handy to where they could measure it for me?
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 10/15/10
- productShure SRH750 DJ Headphones (Black)tagged by System, 10/15/10
- productSony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 10/15/10
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 10/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- Are the VMODA M-100 Bassy? Plus other headphones Last post on 12/13/12 at 10:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Dubstep Headphones Last post on 11/20/12 at 7:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me choose :) Last post on 12/11/12 at 9:16am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones With Bass and Clarity- M-Audio Studiophile Q40? Last post on 9/4/12 at 5:02am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone HFI-680 any good? Last post on 9/24/11 at 10:34am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
This Headphone have Very Good and Smooth Mid / High, Good Bass response. Cold-side, Analytical, Overall Clarity made this Headphone Shine, Bass may lack on some track or Not enough for some...
I recently traded my ATM-50's since they unfortunately lost lower frequencies and started crackling in the left ear. So I thought "Why not try something different". I was looking for something to...
Intro This was my first real pair of headphones, and they satisfied me for two years. So it is only fitting that my first headphone review be on these awesome headphones. The HD598s are a great...
Introduction First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very...
Sony XB500 Question - Page 2post #16 of 2810/18/10 at 6:23pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 2810/18/10 at 6:28pm
Wearing them right now but I don't have a ruler. Let me find something to compare it too. I know for a fact my ears are well inside, infact it's almost a perfect fit, not to snug around but it's not like I'm lost in them.
BACK with a good idea of the size, the seem on the insides of the ear cup is about the size of a lip on a soda can, which doesn't seem like a lot but its plenty of room and they are easily around my ears.
Edited by SoSpecial - 10/18/10 at 6:32pmpost #18 of 2810/18/10 at 8:32pmThread Starter
Thanks for the info. I measured a can and it's right at 2". Then I measured my ear, which is about 2.5". I guess they'll be oversized on-ear 'phones for me. Hopefully the acclaimed comfort of them makes that problem minor.post #19 of 2810/18/10 at 9:19pmQuote:
i have them and i'm very pleased with overall performance. unless im playing 128 kbps mp3's ... but thats the format not the phones.
i think the inside is the same of the XB500 i think, unless my can of soda is bigger, it fits loose tho.hoe did you measure your ears? mine are larger from tip to end but fits well inside. (because is like bend over, am i a freak)
If you need to, i can get a measure tape somewhere and post a photo with it.post #20 of 2810/18/10 at 10:05pmpost #21 of 2810/19/10 at 5:57ampost #22 of 2810/19/10 at 6:03am
Wther your ears touch the pads or not, it really doesn't mater. The pads are frigging amazingly soft on any of the XB's. They are like pillows. They are easily the best pads I have ever had on my ears, with the exception of the seams that iritated my ears to no end, though I'm in the extreme minority. The XB300 doesn't have the seams the XB500/XB700 both have which is the one thing it has over the other two, though it is on ear completely.post #23 of 2810/19/10 at 8:31pm
i just picked up a pair of these tonight from my local Best Buy. from reading around, it seemed like they may be a fun headphone to mess around with. and boy was i right. on a PA2V2 these things are ridiculous. right out of my HTC Incredible they were so-so, on the amp they are insane! i've never felt bass from headphones before. these things can seriously cause hearing damage if you're not careful. they are of course very bass heavy, but they don't sad bad though. nowhere near balanced or neutral but i wouldn't say it's all bass. the midrange and treble are still there, but it's obvious that the bass is running the show. sure it's not the tightest bass i have ever heard, but i wouldn't call it sloppy either. they are definitely a kick ass headphone for 75 bucks.
they are also really really comfy. the huge pads are super thick and so soft.post #24 of 2810/20/10 at 2:00ampost #25 of 2811/8/10 at 2:49pmThread Starter
Finally ordered the XB500's. They were out of stock at Sony Rewards for awhile. I hear they require some EQ'ing to sound really good. Any tips on the settings to use? My Sony X has the following EQ setup:
5-band: 0.4, 1.0, 2.5, 6.3, 16 kHz
each band: -3, -2 -1, 0, 1, 2, 3
clear bass: 0, 1, 2, 3
I guess the bass will be simple enough to tweak myself. What about the mids and highs? Any suggestions?post #26 of 282/21/11 at 8:27amhey i noticed you have the xb500 and the denon 1100, which apparently are two of the top headphones for rap music unamped. Which one would be better fitted to use with rap music unamped from an ipod touch 3rd gen?post #27 of 282/21/11 at 8:30ampost #28 of 282/21/11 at 9:14am
For XB500 vs D1100 review check my signature. XB500 in my opinion is a better rap headphone, it's got such a frequency response curve and sound signature I had associated with rap, ie big bass with both punch (mid/upper bass) and boom (deep rumbling bass), suprisingly forward/up-front mids/vocals (a must for this genre) and a bit smoother highs and it also sounds better ampless than D1100 does, D1100 improves quite a lot by amping while amping XB500 doesn't improve sound quality barely anything (depends on amp obviously). D1100 has quite annoyingly in my ears laid-back/distant/recessed mids/vocals and the bass is very unbalanced, very strong mid/upper bass but the deep bass is quite a lot weaker in comparision.
For rap and for unamped use, XB500 sounds like a perfect candidate IMO. It does benefit a lot by a bit EQing though, that I can't deny, the excessive upper bass and slightly too much veiled highs doesn't provide the best possible clarity. If you take care of that it can sound suprisingly good with any genre for this price. No other headphone have improved this much for me by EQing but I doubt the EQ of iPod would reveal that really (I'd personally never get an Apple product cuz of the lack of custom EQ).
- Sony XB500 Question
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Unique Melody double/triple hybrid universals announced: UM 2X & 3X... 41 seconds ago
- › Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors) 1 minute ago
- › Looking for all around iems 1 minute ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Dec 20th 2013 1 minute ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 1 minute ago
- › Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp 1 minute ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 2 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Gallery!! 3 minutes ago
- › THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers) 3 minutes ago
- › Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 IEM Appreciation/Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › TDK BA200 by kimvictor
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by Misterbushido-
- › Ultrasone DJ1 by HybridBlinds
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by davisman
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by SocialCapital