Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Earsonics SM3 Appreciation Thread - Third Time is a Charm?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Earsonics SM3 Appreciation Thread - Third Time is a Charm? - Page 105

post #1561 of 1669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post

I believe they are Knoweles Acoustic Dampers but have yet to get confirmation on this.

Thanks guys. If someone does find out, posting in this thread would be most welcomed  :)

 

Just have some slight perforations on the green section and was hoping I could hunt down a replacement part without having to go back to France to get it.

post #1562 of 1669
Finally got a response from ES and they have upgraded my SM3 V1s to V2s. It is in transit. When it arrives, I will have 2 pairs of SM3s and of course I am planning on de-filtering my old pair (Or newly upgraded pair)

As soon as I get them, I will do a comparison of my regular SM3 and the de-filtered SM3.
This should be an interesting comparison because for me, the only Universal IEM that can "really" go head-to-head with an SM3 is....another SM3 smily_headphones1.gif
post #1563 of 1669
"If your shells ever come open, you will see exactly how thin and flimsy the plastic they use really is. 2 other people I know here on head-fi (not just 2 posts I've read, but 2 users I've done business with or spoken to somewhat regularly) have had the shells come open for no reason at all. And just a few posts up you can read about TheMarkRemains having problems with the nozzle."
Gilly87
 
 
 
This happened to me with the left side of the v2's after owning them since July. After it happened I tried to remove the headphone cable and one of the output wires leading to the headphone connector severed in half. I sent the phones to EarSonics in France to be fixed and I was still charged $48 for maintenance and the only choice for shipping was Express mail which was another $45. I emailed customer service back and forth explaining that I shouldn't have to pay anything because the phones were defective and still under warranty and here's the response I got.
 
 
 
 
Hi
 
We are sorry, but the problem is not a manufacturing default, the hull was forced and the cable pulled.
 
Point of attachment were cut, not detached , filters were damaged.
 
Sincerely 
 
Service Technique EARSONICS
 
Cap Alpha - 9 avenue de l'europe
34830 Clapiers - France
sav@earsonics.com
 
 
 
 
 
So basically they claim I forced the shell open and pulled the wire apart. The filters were actually brand new as I put them in right before I sent the phones to France. I get the SM3's back on Monday, but there's no way I'll ever buy another pair of their headphones again. I did respond to that email and tried to reason with them, but never received a response. I would be very wary in the future about them honoring their warranty.

Edited by Pete7 - 2/15/13 at 3:57pm
post #1564 of 1669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
 
So basically I forced the shell open and cut the wire. The filters were actually brand new as I put them in right before I sent the phones to France. I get the SM3's back on Monday, but there's no way I'll ever buy another pair of headphones from them again. I did respond to that email and tried to reason with them, but never received a response. I would be very wary in the future about them honoring their warranty.

 

That is unfortunately the main reason I decided not to keep the SM3, despite loving their sound so much.

post #1565 of 1669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

Gilly87
 
 
 
This happened to me with the left side of the v2's after owning them since July. After it happened I tried to remove the headphone cable and one of the output wires leading to the headphone connector severed in half. I sent the phones to EarSonics in France to be fixed and I was still charged $48 for maintenance and the only choice for shipping was Express mail which was another $45. I emailed customer service back and forth explaining that I shouldn't have to pay anything because the phones were defective and still under warranty and here's the response I got.
 
 
 
 
Hi
 
We are sorry, but the problem is not a manufacturing default, the hull was forced and the cable pulled.
 
Point of attachment were cut, not detached , filters were damaged.
 
Sincerely 
 
Service Technique EARSONICS
 
Cap Alpha - 9 avenue de l'europe
34830 Clapiers - France
sav@earsonics.com
 
 
 
 
 
So basically they claim I forced the shell open and pulled the wire apart. The filters were actually brand new as I put them in right before I sent the phones to France. I get the SM3's back on Monday, but there's no way I'll ever buy another pair of their headphones again. I did respond to that email and tried to reason with them, but never received a response. I would be very wary in the future about them honoring their warranty.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalithian View Post

 

That is unfortunately the main reason I decided not to keep the SM3, despite loving their sound so much.

 

Yeah, if only the SM3 v2 had the same rugged build quality on the outside that the Westone UM3x has I wouldn't even think about buying another universal. 


Edited by outmywindow - 3/4/13 at 7:06am
post #1566 of 1669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shevanel View Post

Does anyone have recommendations for some different tips for the sm3v2? 

The stock bi-flange work well, but They are just a TAD too small for my ears, and getting a good seal is rather difficult. I think the sound is great with the stock bi-flanges but I need something with a little bit of a tighter fit, any ideas that won't sacrifice sound quality? I'm not too into foam tips, I messed around with them for awhile but kept coming back to silicon.

Regards

I experimented with quite a few and landed on good ol' Shure olives (black foams). They're amazingly comfortable, provide a great seal, and really bring out the bass, in my experience.
post #1567 of 1669
My upgraded SM3 V2 just arrived. Hot from France, they sound exactly like my 2 week old SM3 V2. Does anyone think they put my old drivers into this new body? I think they just replaced the entire thing. Anyway, the only difference between my two SM3s are the memory wire on the "upgraded" pair is about 1/2 inch shorter. Trying them on, the memory wire just curves enough to act like a hook at the top of my ears while my other pair reaches out to the back of my ears.

And then it struck me....I have 2 SM3 V2's! Should I sell the other pair or keep it as backup? I know they are known to be very fragile...Made me re-think about taking the filters out...


Edit:

Posted the new one up for sale. Will put it back in the box and will not touch it again smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by Annafrancesca - 2/16/13 at 2:08am
post #1568 of 1669

I Still have my SM3, and love it....no need for any new purchase.

 

beerchug.gif

post #1569 of 1669

Yeah this isn't the first time I've seen it happened. I sold a BNIB pair to a fellow Head-Fier, still in shrink wrap, and he had the same problem within weeks. They tried to deny him warranty! I went to bat for him since I sold him the damn things, and had to climb their CS chain all the way up to the head of the department before someone would help the guy out.

 

My advice to you: tell them you are from Head-Fi, and that you know that this is a known and recurring issue with their products, and that you will denounce their trustworthiness as a company as well as the quality of their products openly if they do not fulfill their stated warranty.

 

Oh, and remind them that the cable is DETACHABLE AND SHOULD BY DEFINITION BE DESIGNED TO WITHSTAND PULLING deadhorse.gif 

 

If they don't give you anything, let me know and I will go to bat for you. I have enjoyed ripping a new one in people who know they aren't honoring their guarantee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

Gilly87
 
 
 
This happened to me with the left side of the v2's after owning them since July. After it happened I tried to remove the headphone cable and one of the output wires leading to the headphone connector severed in half. I sent the phones to EarSonics in France to be fixed and I was still charged $48 for maintenance and the only choice for shipping was Express mail which was another $45. I emailed customer service back and forth explaining that I shouldn't have to pay anything because the phones were defective and still under warranty and here's the response I got.
 
 
 
 
Hi
 
We are sorry, but the problem is not a manufacturing default, the hull was forced and the cable pulled.
 
Point of attachment were cut, not detached , filters were damaged.
 
Sincerely 
 
Service Technique EARSONICS
 
Cap Alpha - 9 avenue de l'europe
34830 Clapiers - France
sav@earsonics.com
 
 
 
 
 
So basically they claim I forced the shell open and pulled the wire apart. The filters were actually brand new as I put them in right before I sent the phones to France. I get the SM3's back on Monday, but there's no way I'll ever buy another pair of their headphones again. I did respond to that email and tried to reason with them, but never received a response. I would be very wary in the future about them honoring their warranty.

Edited by Gilly87 - 2/16/13 at 8:35am
post #1570 of 1669

beerchug.gif Glad your search is over, pack. I'm still looking for a full-size can that can best compliment my SM3 deadhorse.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by pack21 View Post

I Still have my SM3, and love it....no need for any new purchase.

 

beerchug.gif

post #1571 of 1669

I'm just waiting FiiO E12 start commercialized in Europe to powered my SM3's. L3000.gif

post #1572 of 1669
Quote:
Originally Posted by pack21 View Post

I Still have my SM3, and love it....no need for any new purchase.

beerchug.gif

As they say with SM3s...love it now while it still works! smily_headphones1.gif
post #1573 of 1669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post

Yeah this isn't the first time I've seen it happened. I sold a BNIB pair to a fellow Head-Fier, still in shrink wrap, and he had the same problem within weeks. They tried to deny him warranty! I went to bat for him since I sold him the damn things, and had to climb their CS chain all the way up to the head of the department before someone would help the guy out.

 

My advice to you: tell them you are from Head-Fi, and that you know that this is a known and recurring issue with their products, and that you will denounce their trustworthiness as a company as well as the quality of their products openly if they do not fulfill their stated warranty.

 

Oh, and remind them that the cable is DETACHABLE AND SHOULD BY DEFINITION BE DESIGNED TO WITHSTAND PULLING deadhorse.gif

 

If they don't give you anything, let me know and I will go to bat for you. I have enjoyed ripping a new one in people who know they aren't honoring their guarantee.

Believe me, I used the Head-fi name and that the problems with the casing were well documented on this site and still nothing. This is the first email I sent them after being notified they were charging me.

 

 

 

Date: February 13, 2013, 12:43:05 PM EST
To: contact earsonics <contact@earsonics.com>
Subject: Re: for repair
I'll pay the money for something that should have been covered by your warranty, although clearly I shouldn't have to. I did notice the severed wire, but that happened as a result of the faulty craftsmanship of the earphone case, and it came apart through no fault of my own. I'm also a member of good standing on Headfi.com, and I'm acutely aware that the earphone cases coming apart on the SM3 v2 is a common defect, and I haven't heard of anyone else having to pay for this either. I've owned a variety of IEM's and posted impressions on Head- Fi. Rest assured, I will post about your customer service regarding this matter.
 
This is the email I sent them after paying the $93 tab (including express shipping) that they wouldn't even dignify with a response:
 
 
"The hull was forced"  Are you trying to say that I forcibly broke the casing open? Wrong. It came apart in two as I was inserting it in my ear: defect, others have had this problem with the casing before.What would my purpose have been for forcibly opening up the case?
The cable severed when I tried to remove the headphone cable from the socket after the casing had come apart; probably ill-advised, but still would not have happened had it not been for the case coming apart as a result of a defect. The filters damaged? The filters looked unaffected. Cost: $2.50 each at Westone.com (professional equipment). Even cheaper bought in bulk, I'm sure.
I understand your company has a bottom line, but I paid $365 for a set of headphones and shouldn't have to pay for something that was caused by a known defect and still under warranty. I appreciate you repairing them, and I already paid your "fee," I just free you should honor the warranty. With the SM64 out, I would think you wouldn't want there to be any questions about your customer service.
Thanks
 
 
And yes, the filters are the Knowles Acoustic Filters. I've used the white colored ones as they keep a little more of the high end, while offering the protection that I believe filters can  serve from moisture. Moisture is a driver-killer, after all.

Edited by Pete7 - 2/16/13 at 11:00am
post #1574 of 1669

If it were me, I denounced this matter on ES facebook, from Friday night to be there all weekend.

 

Although I like SM3's not like  ES services, when I bought mines paid $45 express mail and ES sent me for a 10$ standard mail. Last week from another online French store they did the same thing. Only in French stores make this to my tons of web purchases.

 

 

Did Weston filters fits on SM3 V2 tube?

 

 

Thx.


Edited by pack21 - 2/16/13 at 11:17am
post #1575 of 1669

Sounds like the best step forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pack21 View Post

If it were me, I denounced this matter on ES facebook, from Friday night to be there all weekend.

 

Although I like SM3's not like  ES services, when I bought mines paid $45 express mail and ES sent me for a 10$ standard mail. Last week from another online French store they did the same thing. Only in French stores make this to my tons of web purchases.

 

 

Did Weston filters fits on SM3 V2 tube?

 

 

Thx.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Earsonics SM3 Appreciation Thread - Third Time is a Charm?