sm, weston, ultimate ears make stuff that breaks. I have had two pairs of utlimate ears that developed a crack in the housing and broke. My er4s and er6 etymotic research products have lasted me for 7 years so far and they are still going strong.
- productEarSonics SM2tagged by System, 2/25/11
- productEarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEMtagged by System, 10/14/10
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 10/14/10
- productJVC/Victor FX700tagged by System, 3/10/11
- productPanasonic RP-HJE900tagged by System, 3/10/11
- productSennheiser IE 8 In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 2/25/11
- productSpider "realvoice" Vertical in the Ear Headphonetagged by System, 6/23/11
Related Forum Threads
- If you could keep only one IEM, which one would it be? Last post on 3/21/11 at 10:22pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEM's with BEST bass response £100-£250 Last post on 7/29/12 at 5:12am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Vsonic GR-07 = WOW Last post on 12/11/12 at 9:37pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Bass-heavy multi-driver IEM? Last post on 1/11/12 at 5:22pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Thanks to Luke (H20Fidelity) for letting me a part of the Australian leg of the COZOY DAC/Amp tour and for Igor (DJScope) for the personal delivery, no doubt due to him enjoying the unit so much...
This review is for the Linum Bax 2-Pin, Bax IEM and headphone cables. Let me introduce myself my name is Adam, I live in the states between Philadelphia and New York City. I have been into audio...
Havi B3 Pro 1 - Pictorial Review Let me start by saying that ......the purchase of B3Pro1 has been long time coming ever since introduced by bhazard in the Chinese thread early last year...
I have posted a more detailed review on my blog with hi resolution pictures. http://blog.hyperexpert.com/audio-technica-at-pha50bt-first-impressions-and-review/ I stumbled upon Audio Technica’s...
My impressions is that these don’t sound significantly different than the cheaper SP version in terms of sound signature. The biggest difference is detail, more extended highs and smoother mid. If...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
Earsonics SM3 fall apart - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
My left side (blue) fell apart today. I press this side often (very) hard to get a better sound. Yeah, unfortunately I got unlucky with the custom earmold for my left ear. My left ear always was more problematic than the right one.
I just let my dad glue it together with superglue. Didn't try them yet since. Either way, I find it very poor that iem's in this price range fall apart so easily. I have treated my <100 EUR Sony's way worse, and yes, they also fell apart, but it took a lot more time to do so, and it didn't reveal the driver as it does with the SM3.
Edit: And yes I have to treat them in this way because fitting issues simply suck with the SM3 (for me), so I also can not blame myself. I'm not to keen on having to order another custom earmold for my left ear. I felt a lot more horrible initially, within the first few weeks I couldn't even get them in my ears. Then the tip search began, and still disappointed until now.
Edit #2: And to make it worse, they do sound great if you do have a good fit.
Nah, glue failure isn't terribly uncommon. One unfortunate issue of glue is that it is prone to environmental effects like UV rays that break down the chemicals, temp swings that introduce stresses, physical fatigue, and even chemical breakdown (for example if you are a smoker). This doesn't even include manufacturing variation nor the variation of the actual glue from the supplier. Plain and simple, a glued part will eventually fail over time. It many be 6 months. It may be 10 years. It all varies. That's why these threads don't surprise me at all. It's also why I like to see manufacturers actually screw together their products or at least use clipping mechanisms around the edges, so the system really doesn't rely on the glue. There are also manufacturing processes that will melt the parts together rather than glue them (ultrasonic welding) which then gets rid of the reliance on a glue adhesive completely.
As for fixing that earphone. If Earsonic will do it for free (even pay shipping), send it off to them. If you would prefer not to be without, a little CA glue (super glue) will go a long way. Just scrap off the existing stuff, apply a very light amount of CA glue, and stick it together. If you want a more flexible bond, you might look at silicon instead which still offers high bonding strength but is a flexible adhesive. Other options would be an epoxy resin, heck, even JB Weld. Anything will work really. It just needs to be something that bonds with plastic.
Inks a little off topic but could you tell me how the SM3 compares with the MD's? I'm considering returning my MD's for SM3's and would like to know how they fair interms of mids/bass impact etc etc. Cheers.
- Earsonics SM3 fall apart
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Double Helix Cables Appreciation Thread 28 seconds ago
- › GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone... 1 minute ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 2 minutes ago
- › Dunu TITAN 1 -- Titanium-Coated Diaphragm "Half In-Ear" Earphones 4 minutes ago
- › T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid Discussion Thread. 6 minutes ago
- › What speaker/monitors could give me sound comparable or better than... 7 minutes ago
- › O2 AMP + ODAC 7 minutes ago
- › [Review] WA7 & LCD-2F: DAC shoot-out & tube guide. 10 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 10 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions 11 minutes ago
- › Cozoy Astrapi by Xtralglactic
- › Linum 2Pin Detachable Connector - BaX Dual Twist Model by acain
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by Wokei
- › Audio Technica AT-PHA50BT by unknownsolo
- › Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphone by kite7
- › Sennheiser IE80 by ahnvx
- › AKG K 702 Headphones by ExCelciuS
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by vaziyetu
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by xsk3l3t0rx
- › Audio Technica ATH-IM02 balanced amature inner earphone by ahnvx
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2