sm, weston, ultimate ears make stuff that breaks. I have had two pairs of utlimate ears that developed a crack in the housing and broke. My er4s and er6 etymotic research products have lasted me for 7 years so far and they are still going strong.
- productEarSonics SM2tagged by System, 2/25/11
- productEarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEMtagged by System, 10/14/10
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 10/14/10
- productJVC/Victor FX700tagged by System, 3/10/11
- productPanasonic RP-HJE900tagged by System, 3/10/11
- productSennheiser IE 8 In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 2/25/11
- productSpider "realvoice" Vertical in the Ear Headphonetagged by System, 6/23/11
Related Forum Threads
- If you could keep only one IEM, which one would it be? Last post on 3/21/11 at 10:22pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEM's with BEST bass response £100-£250 Last post on 7/29/12 at 5:12am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Vsonic GR-07 = WOW Last post on 12/11/12 at 9:37pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Bass-heavy multi-driver IEM? Last post on 1/11/12 at 5:22pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 7/3/14
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Overall Impressions This is a amazingly looking device, it does not matter how you look at it, it is simply a pleasure to look at. That is the first impact that one have once you look at it,...
The Pendulumic Stance S1 is an excellent "bluetooth" headphone. I'm sure there are better sounding "wireless" headphones and at some level believe the category should be divided into wireless and...
First of all, I'd like to thank Cayin for opportunity to review C5. As usual, main review is in Russian, here I'll share mt impressions in brief. There is not so many good portable amps in sub...
Ah, yes. The SE215, quite possibly the most popular entry-level IEM on the market at the moment, and for good reason. These headphones are perfect for any budding audio enthusiast thanks to its...
Shure has definitely outdone themselves with this wonderful product. Never have I experienced more clarity in a pair of IEMs. For someone who listens to alternative rock, pop, and an assorted array...
Earsonics SM3 fall apart - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 3510/15/10 at 5:51pmpost #18 of 3510/18/10 at 12:59pmpost #19 of 3510/20/10 at 6:41ampost #20 of 3510/21/10 at 11:36amThread Starterpost #21 of 3510/21/10 at 1:14pmpost #22 of 3510/22/10 at 2:27ampost #23 of 351/20/11 at 11:34ampost #24 of 352/24/11 at 12:08pm
My left side (blue) fell apart today. I press this side often (very) hard to get a better sound. Yeah, unfortunately I got unlucky with the custom earmold for my left ear. My left ear always was more problematic than the right one.
I just let my dad glue it together with superglue. Didn't try them yet since. Either way, I find it very poor that iem's in this price range fall apart so easily. I have treated my <100 EUR Sony's way worse, and yes, they also fell apart, but it took a lot more time to do so, and it didn't reveal the driver as it does with the SM3.
Edit: And yes I have to treat them in this way because fitting issues simply suck with the SM3 (for me), so I also can not blame myself. I'm not to keen on having to order another custom earmold for my left ear. I felt a lot more horrible initially, within the first few weeks I couldn't even get them in my ears. Then the tip search began, and still disappointed until now.
Edit #2: And to make it worse, they do sound great if you do have a good fit.post #25 of 352/24/11 at 12:21pmpost #26 of 352/24/11 at 12:31pmpost #27 of 352/24/11 at 12:36pm
Nah, glue failure isn't terribly uncommon. One unfortunate issue of glue is that it is prone to environmental effects like UV rays that break down the chemicals, temp swings that introduce stresses, physical fatigue, and even chemical breakdown (for example if you are a smoker). This doesn't even include manufacturing variation nor the variation of the actual glue from the supplier. Plain and simple, a glued part will eventually fail over time. It many be 6 months. It may be 10 years. It all varies. That's why these threads don't surprise me at all. It's also why I like to see manufacturers actually screw together their products or at least use clipping mechanisms around the edges, so the system really doesn't rely on the glue. There are also manufacturing processes that will melt the parts together rather than glue them (ultrasonic welding) which then gets rid of the reliance on a glue adhesive completely.
As for fixing that earphone. If Earsonic will do it for free (even pay shipping), send it off to them. If you would prefer not to be without, a little CA glue (super glue) will go a long way. Just scrap off the existing stuff, apply a very light amount of CA glue, and stick it together. If you want a more flexible bond, you might look at silicon instead which still offers high bonding strength but is a flexible adhesive. Other options would be an epoxy resin, heck, even JB Weld. Anything will work really. It just needs to be something that bonds with plastic.post #28 of 352/24/11 at 6:05pmpost #29 of 352/26/11 at 7:01am
Inks a little off topic but could you tell me how the SM3 compares with the MD's? I'm considering returning my MD's for SM3's and would like to know how they fair interms of mids/bass impact etc etc. Cheers.post #30 of 353/9/11 at 12:14amQuote:Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Earsonics SM3 fall apart
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › Android phones and USB DACs 29 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 31 seconds ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 31 seconds ago
- › FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › sub $150~ over the ear for someone with a large head and ears? 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI - 2 weeks old - Mint, As new 2 minutes ago
- › Whiplash TWau V3 8 strand 2 minutes ago
- › Need recommendations for computer speakers under $120 3 minutes ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 3 minutes ago
- › Sony PHA-1 Headphone Amp by LeoTheAwesome
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1 Wireless Headphones by mpm2433
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by cleg
- › Shure SE215 by Dinerenblanc
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by Dinerenblanc
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)