Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › "Nokia N8" and "feeding a (portable) DAC with USB on-the-go"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Nokia N8" and "feeding a (portable) DAC with USB on-the-go" - Page 12

post #166 of 206
removed
Edited by Cristello - 9/5/13 at 9:01am
post #167 of 206

Hi guys.... i'm new to this forum ( what a fantastic community). I own a Nokia 808, and was planning to buy an ibasso d7, and was wondering if it works with my phone....

 

Thank you in advance! 

post #168 of 206

removed


Edited by Cristello - 9/5/13 at 9:40am
post #169 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsajuve View Post

Hi guys.... i'm new to this forum ( what a fantastic community). I own a Nokia 808, and was planning to buy an ibasso d7, and was wondering if it works with my phone....

 

Thank you in advance! 

 

Hard to know without having actually tried it.

 

For reference my 808 works with my RSA Intruder, and also my Leckterton UHA-6S.MKII, but doesn't work with my HeadAmp Pico or my Apex Glacier (all of which work without driver installation and on some phones like the S3/Note 2). So the USB audio implementation is a bit more hit and miss on the Nokia's than the Samsungs.

post #170 of 206
Thank you for the quick reply... I'm trying to change my phone....passing to gs3. I was considering the ibasso d7...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
post #171 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsajuve View Post

Thank you for the quick reply... I'm trying to change my phone....passing to gs3. I was considering the ibasso d7...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

 

It will probably work with the S3 - most of their others are confirmed to (see here:http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/1320#post_9038046). As above try contacting them, they are actively testing with the S3 and should be able to let you know.

post #172 of 206

Hi guys a Nokia N8 owner here. I just updated the N8 with the Belle, an OS heavily based on the Android and the N8 just came to life. I am now wondering about 2 things:

 

1. Can I use an external DAC with the N8 reasonably? - meaning: Can one make a nice compact rig with the N8 and another dac and should I expect a big improvement over the DAC of the N8 with a FiiO Alpen (E17) for example?

 

2. Can you find an APP for the N8 (now that I have the Belle) that plays FLAC (or something lossless)?

 

thanks

post #173 of 206

1. Yes, you can... but not the E17, it doesn't work with the N8. I don't think the E17 sounds particularly better than the N8 in any case, only exception would be if the cans you were using were a bit more difficult to drive.

2. I think the only FLAC capable player would be Folder Player, which requires you to hack your phone to allow installation of unsigned apps. LCG Jukebox also has FLAC play but last I saw it hadn't been updated for Belle, may be worth installing their trial version to see whether it does work.

post #174 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikiphile View Post

 

2. Can you find an APP for the N8 (now that I have the Belle) that plays FLAC (or something lossless)?

 

thanks

 

Thought I would check and see whether any apps are now available that can play FLAC without requiring the phone to be hacked - found this one today on the Nokia Store:

 

 

QuasarMX

post #175 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post

 

Thought I would check and see whether any apps are now available that can play FLAC without requiring the phone to be hacked - found this one today on the Nokia Store:

 

 

QuasarMX


You actually got me hyped up for a new prospective in my life.. mobile audio... lets see how that works out biggrin.gif

post #176 of 206

I installed the Quasar Mx and all I can say: WOW!!

Gonna add my MicroSD card which has 8 Gb of free space, and start putting FLAC on it. It actually sounds amazing; it surpassed my expectations.

It will drive my 55 ohm AKG K242s, and I get a pretty balanced sound with a great amount of detail. Bass is pretty sharp, mids are okay and treble is also good. I am very fond of the soundstage.

 

Im thinking now of getting some decent portable headphones.. any ideas? smily_headphones1.gif

post #177 of 206

I have used folder play for FLAC for about a year, perfect.

post #178 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikiphile View Post

I installed the Quasar Mx and all I can say: WOW!!

Gonna add my MicroSD card which has 8 Gb of free space, and start putting FLAC on it. It actually sounds amazing; it surpassed my expectations.

It will drive my 55 ohm AKG K242s, and I get a pretty balanced sound with a great amount of detail. Bass is pretty sharp, mids are okay and treble is also good. I am very fond of the soundstage.

 

Im thinking now of getting some decent portable headphones.. any ideas? smily_headphones1.gif


ATH-ES55

 

or if you want to spend more

DT1350

 

but the 55s worked great for me, superb sound and VFM

post #179 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT66 View Post

I have used folder play for FLAC for about a year, perfect.

 

Folder Play requires your device be hacked to allow installation of non-signed packages though right? I mentioned it above, but the restriction makes it less useful to those who don't want to hack their phone. Quasar MX is really pretty decent, I installed it yesterday also.

post #180 of 206

not at all, I don't even know how to hack

as before, used it for a year with no problems,

now have 50gb+ of FLAC, a great back up to my DAPs

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › "Nokia N8" and "feeding a (portable) DAC with USB on-the-go"