Dosent even have to be high quality. Only the most average, run of the mill headphone out there applies. The two I see most is 1. Apple earbuds and 2. Sony MDR-V150. It seems like Koss was extremely common back in the day, not sure which models though. In studios, you always see MDR-V6 and MDR 7509. Can anyone else add? What is the most successful headphone, in terms of sales? Not including pre packaged phones?
Related Forum Threads
- Closed Headphone Recommedation(s) Desired Last post on 9/19/11 at 9:50am in Headphones (full-size)
- What headphones are these ? Last post on 4/18/12 at 9:00pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ...in which clarity, isolation (read: closed), durability and comfort are all very important. Last post on 9/5/11 at 10:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Current options for a new headset (gaming). Last post on 9/6/11 at 4:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- differences between sony hp? Last post on 8/19/11 at 4:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)
Edited on 5/13/13
- Grado Modification OverviewEdited on 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeEdited on 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaEdited on 1/6/13
Disclaimer- This review has been written based on past 2 year’s observations. I am not a part of the audio industry or trade and I represent no one but myself, and this review is written...
Introduction The easiest way to explain the Sennheiser CX-150's is that they do what you can reasonably expect. You can't really expect much from a pair of sub-50 dollar IEM's, and frankly, I...
Who/what? I'd like to thank Rhapsodio for sending the 2v1 our way for a tour, along with the Shozy amp. Australia isn't exactly a hot electronics place First off - Rhapsodio is a young IEM...
The below review is a summary of a full comparison of the AD1000X to the AD900X and Sony MA900 found...
I used this amp mainly with a pair of HD 650 and it does what it is supposed to do: it has way more power than I need, it's quiet and it makes everything sound in its place. I have never heard...
What is the average, "standard" headphone?post #1 of 1010/12/10 at 6:41pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1010/12/10 at 7:08pmpost #3 of 1010/12/10 at 7:12pmThread Starter
Exactly, something approved by millions.
post #4 of 1010/12/10 at 7:51pmpost #5 of 1010/12/10 at 8:04pm
Whatever was available as a Walmart special.
Before I had the cash for nice headphones, that's basically what I got, and I'm sure that the same is true for millions of others. Sony, Koss, Philips, and a bunch of other brands had products that fit into this category.post #6 of 1010/12/10 at 11:53pmpost #7 of 1010/14/10 at 9:13amThread Starter
Koss SP/3 also caused a stir in the 1950's. It was the very first Koss "stereophone."
Love this picture of the 414. No doubt this headphone has been extremely succesful and has been produced for many years.
Edited by EYEdROP - 10/14/10 at 9:14ampost #8 of 1010/14/10 at 9:29am
Run of the mill headphones, I would say anything that happens to be in a nearby store at a decent price. My old Sony MDR-XD200's are about as average in every way as you can get.
In terms of most successful. iBuds by a mile. Purely because they come included with the highest selling MP3 player.
Edited by gngf123 - 10/14/10 at 9:30ampost #9 of 1010/14/10 at 9:59am
Do you mean most common, or most typical? I'm going to bet that, for a couple decades now, people use whatever headphones come with the device they bought to use with headphones, and not many headphone users buy headphones specifically any more.
I remember when the small foam-cushioned headphones that came with the original Sony Walkman ended up being a ubiquitous design. Millions of those were sold, either because Walkman-style cassette players became ubiquitous and each had a pair of headphones packed in, or because the fact that they were lightweight, cheap, and many of them sounded okay made them popular in the aftermarket.
If you mean the most common single item sold now, it's easily whichever version of earbuds are packaged with Apple's portables this year. Note that Apple's earbuds have been redesigned a few times since the first iPod.
These days, first place for aftermarket phones are probably low-end IEMs (little better than earbuds with nozzles to fit in the canal, really), since those can be had for cheap in every department store, grocery and convenience store.
- What is the average, "standard" headphone?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Grado Modification Overview
- › Who fixes vintage amps? 38 seconds ago
- › Battle Of The Flagships (57 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: Ultimate... 40 seconds ago
- › What media player do you use ? 59 seconds ago
- › V4.5 Magnums (Must-see super-rare cups!) 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › The diary entries of a little girl who is now 30! ~ Part 2 2 minutes ago
- › Final Audio Design Appreciation/Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Yamaha EPH-100 4 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Jant71's take on the new ATH-CLR100 Pg... 4 minutes ago
- › Looking to upgrade from AKG K702 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 250 Linear II by xEcuToR
- › Sennheiser CX150 Ear-Canal Phones by BadMoose
- › Rhapsodio RDB+ 2v1 by svyr
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad1000x by a_recording
- › Schiit Valhalla by Rem0o
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by derbigpr
- › Colorfly Pocket Hi-fi C4 by yxmees
- › audio-technica Premium Compact Inner Ear Headphones ATH-CKN70 Black... by a_recording
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by TheGame21x
- › Monoprice 8320 IEM by Taharqa
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe