Dosent even have to be high quality. Only the most average, run of the mill headphone out there applies. The two I see most is 1. Apple earbuds and 2. Sony MDR-V150. It seems like Koss was extremely common back in the day, not sure which models though. In studios, you always see MDR-V6 and MDR 7509. Can anyone else add? What is the most successful headphone, in terms of sales? Not including pre packaged phones?
- categoryEarbudstagged by System, 10/13/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 10/13/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 10/13/10
- productSony DRV150iP Headphonestagged by System, 10/13/10
- productSony MDR7509HD Professional Headphonetagged by System, 10/13/10
- productSony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphonestagged by System, 10/13/10
Related Forum Threads
- Closed Headphone Recommedation(s) Desired Last post on 9/19/11 at 9:50am in Headphones (full-size)
- What headphones are these ? Last post on 4/18/12 at 9:00pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ...in which clarity, isolation (read: closed), durability and comfort are all very important. Last post on 9/5/11 at 10:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Current options for a new headset (gaming). Last post on 9/6/11 at 4:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- differences between sony hp? Last post on 8/19/11 at 4:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I spent a week with the OPPO PM-3 through the head-fi loaner program, and got the chance to try them out on a variety of pieces. 99% of my headphone listening is classical music of one type or...
For larger views of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTION Following the successful launch of the initial Trinity range on Kickstarter, Bob (Trinity's CEO and...
REVIEW: ifi Pro iCan Equipment used: Headphones: Sennheiser HD800S, Hifiman Edition X, Hifiman HE-560, AKG K7XX, Audeze LCD-2f, Sennheiser Momentum, HD-650, Oppo PM-2, PM-3, Aurisonics ASG...
Thank-you to Pandora of Brainwavz for supplying the Omega for review. Brainwavz has been around for a while now and this isn't my first encounter with one of their products. In 2011 I...
I picked this up second hand on ebay, more out of curiosity than anything. I'm just getting into listening with headphones and one of my amps doesn't have a headphone socket, so this seemed like as...
What is the average, "standard" headphone?post #1 of 1010/12/10 at 6:41pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1010/12/10 at 7:08pmpost #3 of 1010/12/10 at 7:12pmThread Starter
Exactly, something approved by millions.
post #4 of 1010/12/10 at 7:51pmpost #5 of 1010/12/10 at 8:04pm
Whatever was available as a Walmart special.
Before I had the cash for nice headphones, that's basically what I got, and I'm sure that the same is true for millions of others. Sony, Koss, Philips, and a bunch of other brands had products that fit into this category.post #6 of 1010/12/10 at 11:53pmpost #7 of 1010/14/10 at 9:13amThread Starter
Koss SP/3 also caused a stir in the 1950's. It was the very first Koss "stereophone."
Love this picture of the 414. No doubt this headphone has been extremely succesful and has been produced for many years.
Edited by EYEdROP - 10/14/10 at 9:14ampost #8 of 1010/14/10 at 9:29am
Run of the mill headphones, I would say anything that happens to be in a nearby store at a decent price. My old Sony MDR-XD200's are about as average in every way as you can get.
In terms of most successful. iBuds by a mile. Purely because they come included with the highest selling MP3 player.
Edited by gngf123 - 10/14/10 at 9:30ampost #9 of 1010/14/10 at 9:59am
Do you mean most common, or most typical? I'm going to bet that, for a couple decades now, people use whatever headphones come with the device they bought to use with headphones, and not many headphone users buy headphones specifically any more.
I remember when the small foam-cushioned headphones that came with the original Sony Walkman ended up being a ubiquitous design. Millions of those were sold, either because Walkman-style cassette players became ubiquitous and each had a pair of headphones packed in, or because the fact that they were lightweight, cheap, and many of them sounded okay made them popular in the aftermarket.
If you mean the most common single item sold now, it's easily whichever version of earbuds are packaged with Apple's portables this year. Note that Apple's earbuds have been redesigned a few times since the first iPod.
These days, first place for aftermarket phones are probably low-end IEMs (little better than earbuds with nozzles to fit in the canal, really), since those can be had for cheap in every department store, grocery and convenience store.
- What is the average, "standard" headphone?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 43 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD 598 need DAC or good with omboard mobo sound 57 seconds ago
- › Rockbox Xduoo X3 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 3 minutes ago
- › Official Free FLAC File Music Sharing Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up (Update: April 17th, 2016) 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless! 5 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 6 minutes ago
- › Grado modders go Magnum 6 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 7 minutes ago
- › OPPO PM-3 by gardibolt
- › Trinity Audio Engineering Atlas water resistant sports in-ear monitor by Brooko
- › iFi Pro iCAN by Koolpep
- › Brainwavz Omega In Ear Earbuds Noise Isolating Earphones Remote... by Deviltooth
- › Bravo Audio Ocean by Varley58
- › Darkvoice 336SE by Shasari
- › HiFime SPDIF Optical 9018 DAC by HiFiChris
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by harry501501
- › TFZ Series 1 by TwinACStacks
- › NuForce HEM4 Reference Class Hi-Res In-Ear Headphones with Dual... by Jackpot77
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...