HI just got a new pair of SE425 from Shure today - 10-4-2011.
Bottom line: They are a very poor quality product.
Background: I used to work for RCA Records as a sound engineer and I now work in TV to optimize CODEC's for Video and sound reproduction. I have a EE degree and have built two recording studios
1. MUSH - That's what the SE 425's sound like "MUSH"
2. There is no soundstage. The roll-off is all wrong. There is too much cross-over in the drivers at the wrong levels.
3. The impedance is improper for the drivers. Most in our industry know that WRONG impedance matching causes a number of issues such as high power use, high distortion, and REAL noise problems. The set of SE425's I have are a MESS. There is HIGH noise and a lot of distortion. Mulltiple drivers need to be matched in a proper manner. This is just one of the issues.
4. Placing the set through EQ tests I found them to be not equal (L-R) and the curves to slope at NOT EQUAL points.
5. This is a very poor product and I'm not sure why Shure would put out such a product. There no way these could be used in a professional environment.
6. I found the SE420's to be a better product for "consumer" use.
7. I find my son's $29.00 set of SONY ear buds to be a much better product than the Shure SE 425's.
I would not buy this product nor can I see why anyone would buy them. I will contact Shure and try and return them for another product.