Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Advice on IEM's that will be complementary to the RE0's
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Advice on IEM's that will be complementary to the RE0's - Page 2

post #16 of 42

I was eating dinner, lol.

RE0 + DDM = Killer combo in their price ranges.

RE0 is balanced, analytical and for critical listening.

DDM is bassy, warm and fun sounding for laid back and casual listening.


I have the same sort of combo except I have the Sennheiser IE8 instead of DDM.

Ps - I don't really think you could ever get something in this price range that is both extremely detailed like the RE0 as well as fun and bassy like the DDMs. They might do a bit of both but would not excel in either. So this combination allows you to alternative depending on your mood.


Edited by ProjectDenz - 10/10/10 at 12:39am
post #17 of 42
Thread Starter 

Lol, I like how 'I was eating dinner' is right under your Homer avatar.

 

Ya know, RE0 + DDM was what I had my eye on the whole time. I'm loving the reviews of the RE0, but lack if bass is a serious worry. The DDM's seem like a Japanese enigma to me, they are just seem so intriguing and unusual, and cost 100 bucks more.

 

I'm prepared to sacrifice a little detail for a lot of detailed bass on the HJE900's for only $10 more, but I just discovered that J&R doesn't post overseas... back to the drawing board.

post #18 of 42

Australian prices haven't dropped because if they really reflected the AUD/USD exchange rate, they wouldn't even be so high in the first place even if 1 AUD was 0.80 USD, which it was not so long ago. The prices can easily be easily twice as much as overseas both because the market is so small in Australia (not even enough to support an Amazon Australia it seems) that the distributors seem to have to raise prices to make a good margin. Biggest case in point I can think of: Koss clip-ons which cost 70 dollars here and maybe 10 dollars on Amazon.

 

The RE0's are not totally bass deficient. In fact the quality of the bass may be a bit of a revelation. However, if you are looking for complementary pairs then the RE0 and the DDM are a good choice =D

 

I would cancel your cancellation. The RE0 was my first nice purchase (at the original price of $260 AUD!) and even then I was stoked.

 

post #19 of 42

Why not get eight different iems and wear a different pair each day, with a spare in case you're out and about and don't like the sound signature?

 

Or get 365 different ones.  Joker's review thread can help you with a third of those, and I'm sure others will be able to pitch in.

 

 

post #20 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennyboy71 View Post

Why not get eight different iems and wear a different pair each day, with a spare in case you're out and about and don't like the sound signature?

 

Or get 365 different ones.  Joker's review thread can help you with a third of those, and I'm sure others will be able to pitch in.

 

 

Oddly enough, this is the same sarcastic tone I give to my sister when she buys a new pair of shoes... oh god I have just realised something horrible. Hahaha...

 

All jokes aside, I think some music take on a different emotional meaning with different earphones. So while I wouldn't go for 365 pairs, I think that everyone here has a fair few that they love for different reasons.
 

post #21 of 42


But 8 would be ok?

What I want to see is a manufacturer catering to us nutjobs with a complete solution that includes one perfect cable and numerous exchangeable driver modules covering both BAs, dynamics and dyanmic armatures, along with about a million different tips.

 

Imagine that!  It would be like a dolls house for head-fi geeks!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post



Oddly enough, this is the same sarcastic tone I give to my sister when she buys a new pair of shoes... oh god I have just realised something horrible. Hahaha...

 

All jokes aside, I think some music take on a different emotional meaning with different earphones. So while I wouldn't go for 365 pairs, I think that everyone here has a fair few that they love for different reasons.
 

post #22 of 42

I really think you should consider just getting the RE0 and go from there. You should give them a chance before you automatically write them off.

post #23 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennyboy71 View Post


But 8 would be ok?

What I want to see is a manufacturer catering to us nutjobs with a complete solution that includes one perfect cable and numerous exchangeable driver modules covering both BAs, dynamics and dyanmic armatures, along with about a million different tips.

 

Imagine that!  It would be like a dolls house for head-fi geeks!
 


You mean these? XP

 

http://www.slashgear.com/pioneer-se-clx9-earbuds-so-many-choices-087836/

 

While you don't get to choose BA vs dynamics, you do get to choose just about everything else from filter to tip to bass port. I've always been curious about these but never seen a review.

post #24 of 42

Ha.  Never knew those existed.  You're right about lack of reviews - how come nobody mentions them in here? 

 

Come on you rich geeks - get buying and tell us whether they're any cop!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post




You mean these? XP

 

http://www.slashgear.com/pioneer-se-clx9-earbuds-so-many-choices-087836/

 

While you don't get to choose BA vs dynamics, you do get to choose just about everything else from filter to tip to bass port. I've always been curious about these but never seen a review.

post #25 of 42

lucozade has a pair of those ;p You can ask him..he got them a while ago I believe

post #26 of 42

Time for some N00b speak after lot of expert advice - Get RE0, try it for a few days/weeks and then decide on what exactly your "complementary" sound should be like.

 

I had the same choice issue sometime back. But, I was also trying to 'upgrade' from RE0 as well. I ended up with DBA-02 and DDM.

 

I considered TF10, MTPG, DDM, HJE-900 for the complementary IEM. TF10 and MTPG were out of my buying range. I already have Hippo VB and did not want to own another IEM which tends to get slightly 'hard edged' in treble, so skipped HJE-900. That left me with DDM. To my ears, these sound very complementary. But be warned that I am in the minority who gets a good fit with the DDM and lucky to be listening in quieter environments for the most part.

 

If you can skip the ear tips and the nice case, you can settle for the minimalistic DDM OEM version (but mostly in burgandy) from Musica Acoustics, Japan. It should cost around $110 shipped (may vary a bit based on shipping charges).

 

BTW, I have the same issue. HJE900 offers value for money at $80 - $90. But, if I try to get it via a service that forwards US purchases to India, it becomes $135. Otherwise, I'd have got it long time ago. If I had patience, I could ask somebody to buy it for me and bring it in 2-3 months time. But, daily browsing of head-fi and patience do not exactly go hand in hand.

post #27 of 42

I agree with the person above me

 

just get the RE-0 and work your way up the ladder slowly . if you like it , keep it and search for a compliment(if needed)

 

Read the great articles/reviews here but most importantly make up YOUR mind and stop going from one IEM to another

 

No need to be greedy/in a hurry

 

Relax , you are bound to spend many hours and lots of money because of this forum

post #28 of 42

You could always get the RE0 then bang on a LOD and a FiiO E5 w/bass boost if you want a little more. Don't know how you'd feel about the extra bulk, though.

 

From my experience I've had the RE-ZERO for about three months and I totally adored it but right now I'm prefering the organicness of my full-sized setup. I'm not sure whether I'll suddenly go back to prefering the dryer, more critical ZERO sound, but I think that it's nice at least to have two different sounds to work with.

post #29 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoetheArachnid View Post

You could always get the RE0 then bang on a LOD and a FiiO E5 w/bass boost if you want a little more. Don't know how you'd feel about the extra bulk, though.

 

From my experience I've had the RE-ZERO for about three months and I totally adored it but right now I'm prefering the organicness of my full-sized setup. I'm not sure whether I'll suddenly go back to prefering the dryer, more critical ZERO sound, but I think that it's nice at least to have two different sounds to work with.


This would be my advice as well. Instead of getting the RE0, running it without an ideal source, and then looking for a complementary sound, I would instead consider getting it, enjoying it, and then getting an amp for it.  It doesn't "need" an amp, just like a sports car doesn't "need" high performance tires.  But if you give the RE0's sufficient power, the bass and soundstage improves immensely.

 

The Fiio E5 is a good starting point, as it gives a little bit extra power along with analog bass boost to bring out the lows.  Giving the RE0s even more power, such as a desktop tube hybrid or a high current portable, will really make them shine.

 

I have RE0s, and IMO they are excellent IEMs, which were competitive even at their original price of $200.  At $79, they are a steal.  I use them with an E5 amp for portable use, and a tube amp when listening at home.  The detail level and speed of them is very good.  You'll likely hear details in your music that you've never noticed before.

 

Anyway, I'm probably telling you things that you could learn by reading the hundred or so other impressions on this site.  But I'd recommend getting the RE0's, enjoying them for a while, and then deciding whether to improve the source you're feeding them or looking for a different flavor.

 

Or just order an E5 amp.  It's worth the $20 IMO without a lot of thought.  And you can use it on whatever else you get as well.

 

post #30 of 42
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the replies guys! I knew this was a helpful community (very noob friendly) .

 

No probs barleyguy, your advice is very reassuring. I've already read hundreds of pages over the weekend, it's nice to get some concise advice.

 

Anyway, since the Panasonic 900's seem impossible to source in Oz, I ended up cancelling my cancellation on the RE0's just before bed (I just couldn't sleep without knowing a new pair was on the way). You guys are absolutely right, I need to have the RE0's in my ears before I even think of getting something else. I think I was just overwhelmed from all the reading, and was stressing myself out (not to mention getting burned out from info overload). From what everyone's said, I'm sure they'll be excellent as my first step into audiophile land.

 

@a-recording: Wow, that Pioneer set looks insane, and kinda like a box of expensive chocolates.

 

Funnily, I just started reading about portable amps/dacs. It's a definite possibility, but mostly for my home setup. From my understanding, the USB soundcard that I have IS a dac. Does that mean I shouldn't bother with an amp/dac combo and just get a small amp? Will something in the Fiio E7 price range sound better compared to my X-Fi Surround + amp?

 

On the other front, I'm very much leaning towards the DDM's as a second pair (if I decide to go that way). It seems like they are another great SQ for money pair, but perhaps one level above the RE0's.

 

Aaand I'm gonna stop now before I run away with options again! Cheers again for the help, I appreciate it .

 

P.S. Is an LOD just a cable that links an audio source to the amp? 

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Advice on IEM's that will be complementary to the RE0's