Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hey guys, help me pick please
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hey guys, help me pick please

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

Alright so I've been perusing  headphones for a while and I'm mainly looking for some good closed cans at a price that will still let me eat, this is what I've come up with so far:

 

Sony mdr 7506

shure 440

shure 840

ATH M50

sennheiser hd-25 if i can find them used

 

Superlux hd-668b - does anyone know how much sound these cans leak? I know they're semi-open.

 

I listen to a variety of music, from classical to hip-hop and jazz to indie. I'm looking to get a udac sometime, though these phones will mostly be used unamp'd on the go.

So any new suggestions or picks would be greatly appreciated!

post #2 of 8

Welcome to Head-Fi.

 

What's your budget for buying headphones?

 

And what equipment will you be plugging your headphones into when on the go?

post #3 of 8

Grab the 440s and run far, far away. I came here just like you, looking for the same things and ended up jumping on the ESW9s for ~300, which was a colossal investment at the time. I guarantee you'll appreciate your purchase and eventually forget about head-fi as long as you stop reading now and grab em for $57 off google shopping. Good luck and hide your wallet.

 

--Edit--

Checked the price of the SRH440s and they seem to be around the 75-100$ price range...that $57 deal might be a nasty little surprise or a steal, but in this case I'd suggest investing the extra $18 or so in a bit of security and a guaranteed warranty.


Edited by Nanago - 10/9/10 at 2:31pm
post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanago View Post

Grab the 440s and run far, far away. I came here just like you, looking for the same things and ended up jumping on the ESW9s for ~300, which was a colossal investment at the time. I guarantee you'll appreciate your purchase and eventually forget about head-fi as long as you stop reading now and grab em for $57 off google shopping. Good luck and hide your wallet.

 

--Edit--

Checked the price of the SRH440s and they seem to be around the 75-100$ price range...that $57 deal might be a nasty little surprise or a steal, but in this case I'd suggest investing the extra $18 or so in a bit of security and a guaranteed warranty.


Heh, thanks for the advice but I think I'm already addicted to this site. I've been reading about mods for my grado's for the past week and it's hard to get away from. Anyway, is there a particular reason for the SRH440 recommendation?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Time View Post

Welcome to Head-Fi.

 

What's your budget for buying headphones?

 

And what equipment will you be plugging your headphones into when on the go?


I'm looking to spend anywhere from $50-100ish, maybe a little more if I wait. I'll be using either a first generation zune or an iphone on the go, though sometimes it will be my netbook. As I said earlier, I'll probably be looking into a udac sometime soon for the computer.

post #5 of 8

Oh...well then, it's already too late. Welcome to Head-fi, and we're sorry about your wallet. I chose the SRH440 in particular because it was cheaper than the rest and praised around here for having great value and the signature Shure-house sound, which seems to do well with as all-rounders, but perhaps it might be better for your upgraditis to look at the ATH-M50s or AD700s (as you can tell from my sig, I'm a big fan of the audio-technica line)...

 

By the way, we'll be expecting you back in 6 months or so with a bigger budget and far less fat on your bones .

post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanago View Post

Oh...well then, it's already too late. Welcome to Head-fi, and we're sorry about your wallet. I chose the SRH440 in particular because it was cheaper than the rest and praised around here for having great value and the signature Shure-house sound, which seems to do well with as all-rounders, but perhaps it might be better for your upgraditis to look at the ATH-M50s or AD700s (as you can tell from my sig, I'm a big fan of the audio-technica line)...

 

By the way, we'll be expecting you back in 6 months or so with a bigger budget and far less fat on your bones .


I found some for $79 in the for sale forum with the 840 pads, I might look into those once my next pay check rolls in smily_headphones1.gif I'm already on the pathetic thin side so I may just be a pair of ears in 6 months, nothing wrong with that I suppose-- gets rid of the unnecessary parts right?

post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 

I think I'm going with the SRH-440's

 

anyone think I should do otherwise?

post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 

well my shure's came in today and I'm loving them. They have a very crisp, clear sound that, to my ear, is just wonderful. Thanks for the suggestion smily_headphones1.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hey guys, help me pick please