well from what i heard from you guys, both amps gonna give similar sound signature, i guess thats the signature of tube amps?
Related Forum Threads
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 4/5/16 at 2:45am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Schiit Valhalla Review Last post on 7/18/12 at 4:55am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Tube amps with a 'cold'/'bright' sound? Last post on 12/26/12 at 6:14am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Is this a good combo for Sennheiser's HD650 Last post on 3/5/14 at 9:52pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrading Amp, need help. Last post on 1/26/13 at 7:34am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/6/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
For larger (1200x800) images, simply click any photoINTRODUCTIONAhhh – the portable amplifier – one of the audio enthusiast's more misunderstood tools / assets. For the beginner, there...
Preamble: I have already reviewed some of 1MORE’s and Xiaomi’s audio products in the past and all of them offered a great sound experience for their very reasonable price point. The...
I love the openness and light weight of earbuds, unfortunately those earbuds I tried such as OMX95, MX375, were lack of bass and musicality. Then I found Fiio EM3 is under $10 and got good review,...
I had K3003i with a custom cable. I bough it used and the cable had been replaced and the seller assured not sound different to original I loved it. I used it with Fiio X3 2nd Gen. I liked the...
Compared to nothing (in the way of noise cancelling) these are better than that. Damning with faint praise? Yeah, I guess so, but really what can you expect for the price. Sony makes a product...
REVIEW – Schiit Audio Valhalla Tube Headphone Amplifier - Page 6
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #77 of 821/25/14 at 9:12am
I use my 600 ohm DT990's with the Valhalla and Bitfrost Uber and they sound great. I'm certain more expensive amps sound better but at what cost? As written here several times, "twice the cost doesn't translate to twice the SQ or performance". At some point you need to pick a price point for your setup. Mine is $1,000. No component will cost more that that limit. Of course, that doesn't mean that you won't have duplicative components .post #78 of 823/2/14 at 12:55pm
Iv'e been listening to another tube amp for a week or so and now am back with the Valhalla, Does anyone else perceive a slight bass exaggeration. I'm not saying it sounds bad it just seems to have a tad more bass and maybe the bass is not quite as defined, I am also noticing a tad more etch on the highs. the other amp cost a little over 2 times as much and so in theory should sound more controlled and neutral. At the price for the Valhalla it is a keeper no doubt, and this certainly points strongly at the point of diminishing return
Diminishing returns are of course subjective. I was very happy to get the improved sound at the cost I paid
Edited by joespride - 3/2/14 at 1:35pmpost #79 of 823/2/14 at 1:00pm
Based on reviews I've read, and my own experience when I briefly had the Valhalla, your observations are spot on. I noticed a bit of crunch on the low end and grain in the upper frequencies. For its price point, it's a good amp. It's not perfect, however.post #80 of 823/2/14 at 1:10pm
Also, if you're talking about the ampandsound vs. the Valhalla, they do have different specs. The ampandsound is rated to go as low as 30 hz, where the Valhalla is rated at 20 hz. You might be hearing that difference.
Is the ampandsound transformer coupled?post #81 of 823/2/14 at 1:30pm
I am comparing the ampsandsound SE 84, and it is transformer coupled, where the Valhalla is OTL (OTL doesn't typically relate to bass very well) so i found it odd
The SE 84 specs are not 30Hz though, Justin was simply stating Speakers with those specs bring out the amps ability to drive speakers.
Justin is not a fan of measurements (he has them if you want them) He believes the proof is in hearing, And I agree. 20 years ago I would judge equipment on measurements and over the years I found measurements don't make the amps sound appeal to me
Moreover I have found Amp topology is what appeals to me. Ie... I find solid state to grainy and harsh, I find Push Pull designs lack detail and mid range breadth, OTL does mids and highs very nicely but lower power units tend to lack bass, SET for me had the best balanced sound and appealed to my listening most namely the 45SET amps
I can appreciate most any amp though, and follow my ears as to weather or not I want to hang on to itpost #82 of 823/17/14 at 11:44pm
I just received my new replacement tubes from Schiit for my Valhalla (1st gen. #216) - and the difference is amazing. I am not sure how many hours I had on the old ones but it must have been quite a lot.
I had the feeling my tubes where "done" but wasn't sure about it, so I decided to just try. Voilà.
- the noise floor is MUCH lower, next to none with my T90s
- seems the tubes are better matched
- overall sound is cleaner, bass is more powerful (slight), highs are sharper (as they are burning in)
So overall, I am again extremely satisfied with my Valhalla, especially with my recent addition, the T90.
- REVIEW – Schiit Audio Valhalla Tube Headphone Amplifier
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › The Zishan dsd's corner 1 second ago
- › Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread 8 seconds ago
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post... 41 seconds ago
- › Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - 👌 screenless budget... 1 minute ago
- › FS Audio Technica ATH R70x 2 minutes ago
- › Havi b3 pro 1 thread 2.0 4 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › Cypherus Audio Products Appreciation and Discussion Thread:... 5 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 5 minutes ago
- › Cowon Plenue D 6 minutes ago
- › FiiO A5 Portable Headphone Amplifier by Brooko
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by HiFiChris
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Joeng Zeon
- › AKG K3003 by sanjeewasam
- › Sony MDRNC8/BLK Noise Canceling Headphone, Black by dalesky
- › Bose QuietComfort 25 Headphones by dalesky
- › Don Scorpio Bass Colour by B9Scrambler
- › Xiaomi Mi Hybrid Earphone In-Ear Headphones Multi-unit Circle Iron... by junhawng
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H3 by 8hours
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by SeeSax
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear