well from what i heard from you guys, both amps gonna give similar sound signature, i guess thats the signature of tube amps?
Related Forum Threads
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 4/5/16 at 2:45am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Schiit Valhalla Review Last post on 7/18/12 at 4:55am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Tube amps with a 'cold'/'bright' sound? Last post on 12/26/12 at 6:14am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Is this a good combo for Sennheiser's HD650 Last post on 3/5/14 at 9:52pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrading Amp, need help. Last post on 1/26/13 at 7:34am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
First if I would like to thank Meze for including me in their review program. I did NOT receive these for free, like all other reviewers in the program I have been given a 1 week window to...
Intro Meze Headphones is a company with a simple philosophy; Motivation, Values, People. With a passion for art and music, achieved through patience and dedication, Meze design...
Initial & information from the Rock Jaw website: I happened across the Rock Jaw sponsor page listing the need to review their Resonate BA-Hybrid IEM. Not knowing much about either, I threw my...
These headphones are well known for its low price and quality. I think they should be called shockers because when you look at them its one thing but when you listen to them suddenly they change to...
Final chose me to review the F7200 (review here) and the F4100 ($280) and provided samples free of charge. I have spent several days listening to the F4100, and I believe I can give an...
REVIEW – Schiit Audio Valhalla Tube Headphone Amplifier - Page 6
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #77 of 821/25/14 at 9:12am
I use my 600 ohm DT990's with the Valhalla and Bitfrost Uber and they sound great. I'm certain more expensive amps sound better but at what cost? As written here several times, "twice the cost doesn't translate to twice the SQ or performance". At some point you need to pick a price point for your setup. Mine is $1,000. No component will cost more that that limit. Of course, that doesn't mean that you won't have duplicative components .post #78 of 823/2/14 at 12:55pm
Iv'e been listening to another tube amp for a week or so and now am back with the Valhalla, Does anyone else perceive a slight bass exaggeration. I'm not saying it sounds bad it just seems to have a tad more bass and maybe the bass is not quite as defined, I am also noticing a tad more etch on the highs. the other amp cost a little over 2 times as much and so in theory should sound more controlled and neutral. At the price for the Valhalla it is a keeper no doubt, and this certainly points strongly at the point of diminishing return
Diminishing returns are of course subjective. I was very happy to get the improved sound at the cost I paid
Edited by joespride - 3/2/14 at 1:35pmpost #79 of 823/2/14 at 1:00pm
Based on reviews I've read, and my own experience when I briefly had the Valhalla, your observations are spot on. I noticed a bit of crunch on the low end and grain in the upper frequencies. For its price point, it's a good amp. It's not perfect, however.post #80 of 823/2/14 at 1:10pm
Also, if you're talking about the ampandsound vs. the Valhalla, they do have different specs. The ampandsound is rated to go as low as 30 hz, where the Valhalla is rated at 20 hz. You might be hearing that difference.
Is the ampandsound transformer coupled?post #81 of 823/2/14 at 1:30pm
I am comparing the ampsandsound SE 84, and it is transformer coupled, where the Valhalla is OTL (OTL doesn't typically relate to bass very well) so i found it odd
The SE 84 specs are not 30Hz though, Justin was simply stating Speakers with those specs bring out the amps ability to drive speakers.
Justin is not a fan of measurements (he has them if you want them) He believes the proof is in hearing, And I agree. 20 years ago I would judge equipment on measurements and over the years I found measurements don't make the amps sound appeal to me
Moreover I have found Amp topology is what appeals to me. Ie... I find solid state to grainy and harsh, I find Push Pull designs lack detail and mid range breadth, OTL does mids and highs very nicely but lower power units tend to lack bass, SET for me had the best balanced sound and appealed to my listening most namely the 45SET amps
I can appreciate most any amp though, and follow my ears as to weather or not I want to hang on to itpost #82 of 823/17/14 at 11:44pm
I just received my new replacement tubes from Schiit for my Valhalla (1st gen. #216) - and the difference is amazing. I am not sure how many hours I had on the old ones but it must have been quite a lot.
I had the feeling my tubes where "done" but wasn't sure about it, so I decided to just try. Voilà.
- the noise floor is MUCH lower, next to none with my T90s
- seems the tubes are better matched
- overall sound is cleaner, bass is more powerful (slight), highs are sharper (as they are burning in)
So overall, I am again extremely satisfied with my Valhalla, especially with my recent addition, the T90.
- REVIEW – Schiit Audio Valhalla Tube Headphone Amplifier
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 6 seconds ago
- › Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread 30 seconds ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 41 seconds ago
- › 64 Audio | apex | tia 1 minute ago
- › Headphones vs Speakers -- an Inconvenient Truth 1 minute ago
- › Android: Neutron Music Player 3 minutes ago
- › DAP Selection; 3 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 3 minutes ago
- › What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter) 5 minutes ago
- › What amplifier to get around 100 dollars? 7 minutes ago
- › Meze 99 Neo by dweaver
- › Meze 12 Classics by Bansaku
- › Rock Jaw Audio Resonate by ngoshawk
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by krenky
- › Final F4100 by jwbrent
- › Audio-Technica AT-PHA100 by Army-Firedawg
- › Noble Audio Katana by EZE99
- › AKG K 550 by Mink
- › Denon AH-MM400 Music Maniac Over-Ear Headphones by krenky
- › Edifier K180 by Redcarmoose
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear