- 21,822 Posts. Joined 4/2005
- Location: Chicagoland
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 4/5/16 at 2:45am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Schiit Valhalla Review Last post on 7/18/12 at 4:55am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Tube amps with a 'cold'/'bright' sound? Last post on 12/26/12 at 6:14am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Is this a good combo for Sennheiser's HD650 Last post on 3/5/14 at 9:52pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrading Amp, need help. Last post on 1/26/13 at 7:34am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONThis is the 2nd pair of IEMs sent to me for evaluation recently by FiiO. You can find my...
Unboxing This package came in an unassuming black box with the branding directly on the front. Opening it reveals the very nice semi-hard case that stores the earphones. Opening the case...
Intro I wanted to start this review off with a Swiss Army knife joke but it looks like several Head-Fiers have already did that so in a futile attempt to be both funny and original I’ll start off...
This is the video review of the Cayin i5 Digital Audio Player. The player has been compared with iDSD Micro BL and Audeze Cypher cable for its sound qualities. Skip to 12 minutes 50 seconds mark...
DISCLAIMER The Empire Ears Zeus-R was purchased during my trip to the Empire Ears office at Buford, Georgia. The Empire Ears team have since moved their operations to their newer and larger...
REVIEW – Schiit Audio Valhalla Tube Headphone Amplifier - Page 4post #46 of 827/31/11 at 11:23amThread StarterAt least on paper it is not a good match, no. But it might sound good. Impossible to say without trying.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 827/31/11 at 11:59amQuote:Originally Posted by MohawkUS
Would the Valhalla be a good match for Ultrasone PRO2900s? From the review I think I would like the sound of it, but my headphones are only 40ohms. I read a few reviews on the Asgard and I don't think I would like it very much, I need something that won't slow down the PROs.
Believe me the Asgard is FAR faster than the Pros could ever hope to be. The impedance of the Ultrasones is lower than ideal for the Valhalla, but it will probably work since the Ultrasones are as efficient as they are, but you'll have to try it and see.post #48 of 827/31/11 at 12:04pmQuote:Originally Posted by Scytus
Oh I wouldn't need a monstrous amount of bass, I'm actually getting a bit sick of having too much bass to be honest.
I'm just interested in bass being slightly more present, for example when playing a cinematic movie/single player game, or listening to electronic music; my thought was that a slightly warm amp would assist in this. I loved the T1 when I gave it a listen, it was like nothing else (and I had listened to the LCD2 & ED8, unimpressed how they compared). For all intents and purposes they sounded perfect, I just worry that in theatrical moments or energetic songs, they might not be able to deliver.. though I wasn't able to test the headphones in such circumstances.
That's what tone / loudness controls are for.
post #49 of 827/31/11 at 12:49pmpost #50 of 827/31/11 at 12:52pmThread Starterpost #51 of 827/31/11 at 2:12pmQuote:
To my ears, the Asgard accurately reflects the source with which you feed it. If your source is slow and laid back, that's what it will sound like with the Asgard.
post #52 of 821/9/12 at 3:42pmpost #53 of 821/15/12 at 5:40pmpost #54 of 822/23/12 at 3:32pmQuote:
X 2, I came here just to answer that question. I have already decided on the Valhalla, to use it with my K701s, however Im looking to expand my inventory with the HD800 (or similar type headphone in the near future, and was checking on synergy). Technically, they should, I was thinking your way. However, only someone who has tried will know for sure. This at least is a question which is not so individual. As someone else said in the first comments, "we dug this thread out of the grave", so we gonna have to wait for a while.Quote:
Well first of all, it is my duty to welcome you in the proper manner. Welcome to Head-fi, we are sorry for your wallet! I will try and keep it simple (yet intelligent) so that you can understand.
Secondly, lets answer your question. I would say the HD598 are a really nice choice to enter this world of madness, however, pairing them with the Valhalla is not such a great option. They are 50ohms and fairly sensitive from what I recall, but require much more jungle-juice (power) than the Valhalla would provide. Now there are few things I would like to explain to you so that you have an idea of what to look for when buying the equipment.
It really comes down to portability against sound quality (in most cases). Also, (from what I understood) since you still haven't purchased headphones, you should decide on them first because it's the headphones that will dictate the overall sound signature (above 65%), then comes the amp, then the DAC (if you use a PC as source), then comes the file quality (lossy mp3 vs lossles flac), then cables (interconnecting, headphone cables, USB/coax/toslink), power components. (unless you plan on going hardcore, you can easily disregard "cables" and "power components")
Now, when you choose on headphones (always audition first), you will be looking for an appropriate amp. Lets say you choose the HD598s which are excellent for their price. What you wanna buy is an amp which is not more expensive then twice their price. (it is like my golden rule, with a few exceptions though) Then you have to consider if you wanna expand soon in the future with new headphones. (if you get into this, you probably will) This will enable you to use the existing amp with the new headphones.
If you buy the HD598s, I would suggest the Asgard if you insist on this "Schiit". Schiit makes wonderful amps, however, the Valhalla and the Lyr wont do a good job with the HD598s as the Asgard would. The Lyr would probably blow up their drivers. A DAC is not really such a necesity with the HD598s.
Anyways, happy hunting, and come back for more questions.
Mikepost #55 of 824/12/12 at 10:45pmQuote:
I sort of agree with this. I got to try the Asgard today, though it wasn't as I'd hoped it be. It wasn't "properly" sourced as my DAC was the FiiO E10. If I can try it with a better DAC in the future, I will. Hopefully then I can hear it "properly".post #56 of 824/13/12 at 8:46pmpost #57 of 824/14/12 at 12:45amQuote:
That's not true. It gets hot, but it's like holding a paper cup with coffee in it. It isn't untouchable though.post #58 of 824/14/12 at 7:42amQuote:Originally Posted by DestroysallQuote:
That's not true. It gets hot, but it's like holding a paper cup with coffee in it. It isn't untouchable though.
Mine doesn't even get that warm.post #59 of 824/14/12 at 5:24pm
- REVIEW – Schiit Audio Valhalla Tube Headphone Amplifier
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › DT990 cable coming loose? Any way to prevent that before it gets... 13 seconds ago
- › Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software 1 minute ago
- › PETEREK (formerly cCasperTFG) MOD & Cable Thread 2 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 3 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The DIY'rs Cookbook 4 minutes ago
- › ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF 4 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW ... 5 minutes ago
- › FiiO F3 Dynamic In-Ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by chompchomps
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by Yethal
- › Cayin i5 by piksnz
- › Empire Ears Zeus by ejong7
- › Cosmic Ears CE6P by fluffyberry
- › HIFIMAN SuperMini High-Res Portable Player by tenedosian
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by Dobrescu George
- › Westone W80 Eight-Driver System with Dual Bass, Dual Mid, and Quad... by Koolpep
- › JDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifier by SoundApprentice
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear