- 21,086 Posts. Joined 4/2005
- Location: Chicagoland
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on Yesterday at 5:23 am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Schiit Valhalla Review Last post on 7/18/12 at 4:55am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Tube amps with a 'cold'/'bright' sound? Last post on 12/26/12 at 6:14am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Is this a good combo for Sennheiser's HD650 Last post on 8/7/12 at 8:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrading Amp, need help. Last post on 1/26/13 at 7:34am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 7/26/13
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Intro This was my first real pair of headphones, and they satisfied me for two years. So it is only fitting that my first headphone review be on these awesome headphones. The HD598s are a great...
Introduction First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very...
This is a review of the Noble 8c, an eight drivers 4 ways ciems. You could check the specs on the noble web site. Please be kind in your critics, as this is my first review ever, and that English...
Porta Pros simply made the biggest difference for me when listening to music as I have switched from some low-end sony in-ear to them and suddenly when playing the same song music became more rich...
From the moment Charles told me about the new project that he was working on, “Project Palaios”, I was intrigued. A wooden amp? That’s certainly not what you hear everyday and from the pictures...
REVIEW – Schiit Audio Valhalla Tube Headphone Amplifier - Page 4post #46 of 607/31/11 at 11:23amThread StarterAt least on paper it is not a good match, no. But it might sound good. Impossible to say without trying.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 607/31/11 at 11:59amQuote:Originally Posted by MohawkUS
Would the Valhalla be a good match for Ultrasone PRO2900s? From the review I think I would like the sound of it, but my headphones are only 40ohms. I read a few reviews on the Asgard and I don't think I would like it very much, I need something that won't slow down the PROs.
Believe me the Asgard is FAR faster than the Pros could ever hope to be. The impedance of the Ultrasones is lower than ideal for the Valhalla, but it will probably work since the Ultrasones are as efficient as they are, but you'll have to try it and see.post #48 of 607/31/11 at 12:04pmQuote:Originally Posted by Scytus
Oh I wouldn't need a monstrous amount of bass, I'm actually getting a bit sick of having too much bass to be honest.
I'm just interested in bass being slightly more present, for example when playing a cinematic movie/single player game, or listening to electronic music; my thought was that a slightly warm amp would assist in this. I loved the T1 when I gave it a listen, it was like nothing else (and I had listened to the LCD2 & ED8, unimpressed how they compared). For all intents and purposes they sounded perfect, I just worry that in theatrical moments or energetic songs, they might not be able to deliver.. though I wasn't able to test the headphones in such circumstances.
That's what tone / loudness controls are for.
post #49 of 607/31/11 at 12:49pmpost #50 of 607/31/11 at 12:52pmThread Starterpost #51 of 607/31/11 at 2:12pmQuote:
To my ears, the Asgard accurately reflects the source with which you feed it. If your source is slow and laid back, that's what it will sound like with the Asgard.
post #52 of 601/9/12 at 3:42pmpost #53 of 601/15/12 at 5:40pmpost #54 of 602/23/12 at 3:32pmQuote:
X 2, I came here just to answer that question. I have already decided on the Valhalla, to use it with my K701s, however Im looking to expand my inventory with the HD800 (or similar type headphone in the near future, and was checking on synergy). Technically, they should, I was thinking your way. However, only someone who has tried will know for sure. This at least is a question which is not so individual. As someone else said in the first comments, "we dug this thread out of the grave", so we gonna have to wait for a while.Quote:
Well first of all, it is my duty to welcome you in the proper manner. Welcome to Head-fi, we are sorry for your wallet! I will try and keep it simple (yet intelligent) so that you can understand.
Secondly, lets answer your question. I would say the HD598 are a really nice choice to enter this world of madness, however, pairing them with the Valhalla is not such a great option. They are 50ohms and fairly sensitive from what I recall, but require much more jungle-juice (power) than the Valhalla would provide. Now there are few things I would like to explain to you so that you have an idea of what to look for when buying the equipment.
It really comes down to portability against sound quality (in most cases). Also, (from what I understood) since you still haven't purchased headphones, you should decide on them first because it's the headphones that will dictate the overall sound signature (above 65%), then comes the amp, then the DAC (if you use a PC as source), then comes the file quality (lossy mp3 vs lossles flac), then cables (interconnecting, headphone cables, USB/coax/toslink), power components. (unless you plan on going hardcore, you can easily disregard "cables" and "power components")
Now, when you choose on headphones (always audition first), you will be looking for an appropriate amp. Lets say you choose the HD598s which are excellent for their price. What you wanna buy is an amp which is not more expensive then twice their price. (it is like my golden rule, with a few exceptions though) Then you have to consider if you wanna expand soon in the future with new headphones. (if you get into this, you probably will) This will enable you to use the existing amp with the new headphones.
If you buy the HD598s, I would suggest the Asgard if you insist on this "Schiit". Schiit makes wonderful amps, however, the Valhalla and the Lyr wont do a good job with the HD598s as the Asgard would. The Lyr would probably blow up their drivers. A DAC is not really such a necesity with the HD598s.
Anyways, happy hunting, and come back for more questions.
Mikepost #55 of 604/12/12 at 10:45pmQuote:
I sort of agree with this. I got to try the Asgard today, though it wasn't as I'd hoped it be. It wasn't "properly" sourced as my DAC was the FiiO E10. If I can try it with a better DAC in the future, I will. Hopefully then I can hear it "properly".post #56 of 604/13/12 at 8:46pmpost #57 of 604/14/12 at 12:45amQuote:
That's not true. It gets hot, but it's like holding a paper cup with coffee in it. It isn't untouchable though.post #58 of 604/14/12 at 7:42amQuote:Originally Posted by DestroysallQuote:
That's not true. It gets hot, but it's like holding a paper cup with coffee in it. It isn't untouchable though.
Mine doesn't even get that warm.post #59 of 604/14/12 at 5:24pm
- REVIEW – Schiit Audio Valhalla Tube Headphone Amplifier
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning] 57 seconds ago
- › STUDIO HEADPHONES! PLEASE HELP 57 seconds ago
- › brainwavz r1 review. 2 minutes ago
- › Looking for new DAC, suggestions please... 2 minutes ago
- › Toxic Cables - The Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › VSONIC GR07 Impressions & Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 preview world tour--application 20-26 December 2013 4 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 4 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster new série Z 4 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.2.6 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by davisman
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe