- productbeyerdynamic Tesla T1tagged by System, 2/16/11
- productBurson HA-160tagged by System, 2/16/11
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 10/7/10
- productGraham Slee Solo SRG IItagged by System, 2/16/11
- productHeadAmp GS-1 Headphone Amp/Pre-Amptagged by System, 2/16/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 10/7/10
- productMeier Audio Concertotagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- The best Headphone Amp under 1000usd Last post on 7/15/15 at 1:08am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Burson 160 or Meier Concerto? Last post on 9/20/10 at 5:30am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 4/5/16 at 2:45am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Most Transparent SS <$1000 Last post on 4/22/11 at 4:34pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Meier Audio Concerto vs Headamp GS-1? Last post on 11/17/10 at 6:33pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
"In a cold world of flagships, the LCD-4 gives me the warmth I have been asking for." -Probably someone...
This review is for someone looking for a good pair of in-ear headphones after using over-ear phones; that's the situation where I am coming from at least, as I have been using Sennheiser's HD598...
I was excited to be approached by world famous cable artisan company 'Effect Audio' and asked me to provide a review of their recently released Ares II + Plus Edition IEM cable. This cable is...
This is my second attempt at using a portable amp (I returned my Fiio E12A for this). That was a good decision. The Cayin C5 is an absolute powerhouse. It can power IEM's and earbuds...
Introduction/Disclaimer I was given this sample in exchange for my honest opinion and impressions. I would especially like to thank Kathryn for getting in touch for purpose of this review. I...
Don''t want to try a bunch of entry level amps.. would like a solid amp in the 500-700 range.post #1 of 2110/7/10 at 10:45amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 2110/7/10 at 10:47amThread Starterpost #3 of 2110/7/10 at 2:12pm
Can you tell us what headphones you have, and what genres you enjoy listening to? Do you want tubes or solid state? Do you need a compact amp, or do you have plenty of desk/rack space to spare?
We need you to narrow down the possibilities, otherwise we're just going to throw random suggestions at you.post #4 of 2110/7/10 at 2:32pmpost #5 of 2110/7/10 at 3:07pmpost #6 of 2110/7/10 at 9:32pmpost #7 of 2110/7/10 at 10:13pmpost #8 of 2110/9/10 at 3:27ampost #9 of 2110/9/10 at 12:47pmpost #10 of 2110/9/10 at 2:21pmpost #11 of 2110/10/10 at 5:30pmThread Starter
I like the Piatheon 400 that a member talked about.. Would you suggest tube or would it be solid state amp? I like design/comfort just as much as the sound.. The 160/Concerto look appealing. I never really owned headphones, just cheap i buds..post #12 of 2110/21/10 at 6:06am
I think it would be a good idea to tell us about the kind of things you listen to and the headphones you are considering.
The good news is that you realise that a good amplifier is important for good headphones. Very often in these forums I see people using budget amps with good headphones and it really is a waste.
I think that hi fi should be hi fi, i.e. transparent and neutral, not adding anything to the sound. Many of the amplifiers around today are too euphonic imho.
The advantage with transparent/neutral is that these amplifiers let you hear the music, which is what they are supposed to do, they aren't fattening it up all the time or applying some other distortion all the time.
The other thing I feel is essential personally is cross-feed. This can be in the amplifier or elsewhere in the chain. If you are using a computer as your source you can have a cross-feed program. It is good to search for cross-feed in these forums. I mention this because I use it all the time.
I really can't recommend a specific amplifier because I have not heard them for long enough to write anything, I am just putting forward the case for a transparent amp.
I will say that I am very happy with my Meier-Audio StageDAC which is a DAC of course. Meier-Audio also make amplifiers and it could be that their Concerto is a very good one. Meier-Audio include cross-feed and it is the cross-feed on their DAC which has converted me to this.
Here is the link for the Concerto:
Here is the link for Meier-Audio main page:post #13 of 2110/21/10 at 9:10ampost #14 of 2110/21/10 at 11:47am
You can't be a tradesman without being an apprentice.You need to own and use at least one ,so called entry level amp before you have a yardstick to measure other more expensive amps with.If nothing else this will tell you how much pixie dust they have sprinkled on it to justify their prices.All i am saying is,,a £100 amp can be more fun and exciting than a £400 f.o.t.m amp.Try a Little Dot 1+ and then something by Graham Slee.For example.post #15 of 2110/21/10 at 12:36pm
Quote:Originally Posted by wallace
You can't be a tradesman without being an apprentice.You need to own and use at least one ,so called entry level amp before you have a yardstick to measure other more expensive amps with.If nothing else this will tell you how much pixie dust they have sprinkled on it to justify their prices.All i am saying is,,a £100 amp can be more fun and exciting than a £400 f.o.t.m amp.Try a Little Dot 1+ and then something by Graham Slee.For example.
You can most certainly buy a more expensive amp without buying a cheaper one first. Some amps are clearly bad values, but to say you have to spend the money and go cheaper first is just wrong. The more accurate way to say it is, it might be a good idea to hear one before buying something more expensive. And yes, I've heard and owned many cheap and expensive amps.
- Don''t want to try a bunch of entry level amps.. would like a solid amp in the 500-700 range.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Headphones with a grainy sound and character? 54 seconds ago
- › Luxury and Precision - Crowdfunding Promotion on the L3 Digital... 1 minute ago
- › Cartoon Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 5 minutes ago
- › Echobox: The Unveiling @ CES 2015 6 minutes ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 8 minutes ago
- › AKG N40 11 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 13 minutes ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 14 minutes ago
- › LG V10 - bad IMEI, ok for WiFi use, Android 6.0, - please read... 15 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-4 by Dillan
- › Sennheiser IE80 by AnssiRai
- › Effect Audio Ares II + Plus Edition IEM cable by sonickarma
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Tayyab Pirzada
- › Edifier S1000DB Audiophile Active Bookshelf Speakers - Bluetooth... by dnun8086
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones by Llloyd
- › Simaudio 230HAD by sheldaze
- › FiiO L9 L-Shaped Line Out Dock (LOD) Cable For iPod and iPhone by ryanjsoo
- › Espressivo-E by Feliks Audio by thatonenoob
- › B&O Beoplay H6 (2nd generation) by istirsin
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...