- productbeyerdynamic Tesla T1tagged by System, 2/16/11
- productBurson HA-160tagged by System, 2/16/11
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 10/7/10
- productGraham Slee Solo SRG IItagged by System, 2/16/11
- productHeadAmp GS-1 Headphone Amp/Pre-Amptagged by System, 2/16/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 10/7/10
- productMeier Audio Concertotagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- The best Headphone Amp under 1000usd Last post on 4/7/11 at 11:50pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Burson 160 or Meier Concerto? Last post on 9/20/10 at 5:30am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 1/12/15 at 3:42pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Most Transparent SS <$1000 Last post on 4/22/11 at 4:34pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Meier Audio Concerto vs Headamp GS-1? Last post on 11/17/10 at 6:33pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I have a lot of closed headphones. These are as good as any other closed headphone at this price, in fact, I prefer these to the DT770, K550, UE6000. The DJ1 Pro have a bigger and airier sound...
Video review of the Fiio X3 Second Generation player.
The price to performance ratio of the HiFiMan HE-400 is truly exceptional. The clamping force of new head band is tight and requires break-in. I prefer the the plush pads over stock pads for...
They are a very good option. The sound is natural, they are comfortable to use. The only con I have with it is the included cable that is too long and bulky (if you want to listen them connected...
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
Don''t want to try a bunch of entry level amps.. would like a solid amp in the 500-700 range.post #1 of 2110/7/10 at 10:45amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 2110/7/10 at 10:47amThread Starterpost #3 of 2110/7/10 at 2:12pm
Can you tell us what headphones you have, and what genres you enjoy listening to? Do you want tubes or solid state? Do you need a compact amp, or do you have plenty of desk/rack space to spare?
We need you to narrow down the possibilities, otherwise we're just going to throw random suggestions at you.post #4 of 2110/7/10 at 2:32pmpost #5 of 2110/7/10 at 3:07pmpost #6 of 2110/7/10 at 9:32pmpost #7 of 2110/7/10 at 10:13pmpost #8 of 2110/9/10 at 3:27ampost #9 of 2110/9/10 at 12:47pmpost #10 of 2110/9/10 at 2:21pmpost #11 of 2110/10/10 at 5:30pmThread Starter
I like the Piatheon 400 that a member talked about.. Would you suggest tube or would it be solid state amp? I like design/comfort just as much as the sound.. The 160/Concerto look appealing. I never really owned headphones, just cheap i buds..post #12 of 2110/21/10 at 6:06am
I think it would be a good idea to tell us about the kind of things you listen to and the headphones you are considering.
The good news is that you realise that a good amplifier is important for good headphones. Very often in these forums I see people using budget amps with good headphones and it really is a waste.
I think that hi fi should be hi fi, i.e. transparent and neutral, not adding anything to the sound. Many of the amplifiers around today are too euphonic imho.
The advantage with transparent/neutral is that these amplifiers let you hear the music, which is what they are supposed to do, they aren't fattening it up all the time or applying some other distortion all the time.
The other thing I feel is essential personally is cross-feed. This can be in the amplifier or elsewhere in the chain. If you are using a computer as your source you can have a cross-feed program. It is good to search for cross-feed in these forums. I mention this because I use it all the time.
I really can't recommend a specific amplifier because I have not heard them for long enough to write anything, I am just putting forward the case for a transparent amp.
I will say that I am very happy with my Meier-Audio StageDAC which is a DAC of course. Meier-Audio also make amplifiers and it could be that their Concerto is a very good one. Meier-Audio include cross-feed and it is the cross-feed on their DAC which has converted me to this.
Here is the link for the Concerto:
Here is the link for Meier-Audio main page:post #13 of 2110/21/10 at 9:10ampost #14 of 2110/21/10 at 11:47am
You can't be a tradesman without being an apprentice.You need to own and use at least one ,so called entry level amp before you have a yardstick to measure other more expensive amps with.If nothing else this will tell you how much pixie dust they have sprinkled on it to justify their prices.All i am saying is,,a £100 amp can be more fun and exciting than a £400 f.o.t.m amp.Try a Little Dot 1+ and then something by Graham Slee.For example.post #15 of 2110/21/10 at 12:36pm
Quote:Originally Posted by wallace
You can't be a tradesman without being an apprentice.You need to own and use at least one ,so called entry level amp before you have a yardstick to measure other more expensive amps with.If nothing else this will tell you how much pixie dust they have sprinkled on it to justify their prices.All i am saying is,,a £100 amp can be more fun and exciting than a £400 f.o.t.m amp.Try a Little Dot 1+ and then something by Graham Slee.For example.
You can most certainly buy a more expensive amp without buying a cheaper one first. Some amps are clearly bad values, but to say you have to spend the money and go cheaper first is just wrong. The more accurate way to say it is, it might be a good idea to hear one before buying something more expensive. And yes, I've heard and owned many cheap and expensive amps.
- Don''t want to try a bunch of entry level amps.. would like a solid amp in the 500-700 range.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 20 seconds ago
- › [New] Philips Fidelio X1 21 seconds ago
- › CanJam SoCal 2015 Impressions Thread 44 seconds ago
- › [Review] Noble Audio Kaiser 10 - The Wizard Rises Again 2 minutes ago
- › The all new Continental Dual Mono 3 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 3 minutes ago
- › Canadian Head-Fi'ers counting 5 minutes ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 5 minutes ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 6 minutes ago
- › Huge Comparison of [almost] all the best Bluetooth Headphones -... 6 minutes ago
- › Ultrasone DJ1 PRO by T.R.A.N.C.E.
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by piksnz
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by Stereocilia
- › Sennheiser HD 518 by Tiby
- › Somic HD MH463 Open-air Dynamic Pro Headphones (Black) by YoYo JoKeR
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 by lin0003
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Brooko
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by Gia Bao
- › Pro-Ject Audio DAC Box E Entry Level DAC Black by LugBug1
- › Final Audio Design Heaven Viii by newzild
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2