- productbeyerdynamic Tesla T1tagged by System, 2/16/11
- productBurson HA-160tagged by System, 2/16/11
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 10/7/10
- productGraham Slee Solo SRG IItagged by System, 2/16/11
- productHeadAmp GS-1 Headphone Amp/Pre-Amptagged by System, 2/16/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 10/7/10
- productMeier Audio Concertotagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- The best Headphone Amp under 1000usd Last post on 7/15/15 at 1:08am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Burson 160 or Meier Concerto? Last post on 9/20/10 at 5:30am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 4/5/16 at 2:45am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Most Transparent SS <$1000 Last post on 4/22/11 at 4:34pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Meier Audio Concerto vs Headamp GS-1? Last post on 11/17/10 at 6:33pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
The PMV A-01 was sent to me from PMV by the help on Penon Audio. Thank you to both for let me try them out! The price at the time of this review was $69. The PMV A-1 is available from the Penon...
Cayin have always intrigued me, their approach to portable audio isn't about sound quality alone, far from. Their designs are some of the most unique...
published on April 30, 2016 - download a printable 8-page PDF version of this review (right-click the link & save target, or just tap for mobile devices) (click any photo in this review...
There is just so much craptastic dreck in the
Don''t want to try a bunch of entry level amps.. would like a solid amp in the 500-700 range.post #1 of 2110/7/10 at 10:45amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 2110/7/10 at 10:47amThread Starterpost #3 of 2110/7/10 at 2:12pm
Can you tell us what headphones you have, and what genres you enjoy listening to? Do you want tubes or solid state? Do you need a compact amp, or do you have plenty of desk/rack space to spare?
We need you to narrow down the possibilities, otherwise we're just going to throw random suggestions at you.post #4 of 2110/7/10 at 2:32pmpost #5 of 2110/7/10 at 3:07pmpost #6 of 2110/7/10 at 9:32pmpost #7 of 2110/7/10 at 10:13pmpost #8 of 2110/9/10 at 3:27ampost #9 of 2110/9/10 at 12:47pmpost #10 of 2110/9/10 at 2:21pmpost #11 of 2110/10/10 at 5:30pmThread Starter
I like the Piatheon 400 that a member talked about.. Would you suggest tube or would it be solid state amp? I like design/comfort just as much as the sound.. The 160/Concerto look appealing. I never really owned headphones, just cheap i buds..post #12 of 2110/21/10 at 6:06am
I think it would be a good idea to tell us about the kind of things you listen to and the headphones you are considering.
The good news is that you realise that a good amplifier is important for good headphones. Very often in these forums I see people using budget amps with good headphones and it really is a waste.
I think that hi fi should be hi fi, i.e. transparent and neutral, not adding anything to the sound. Many of the amplifiers around today are too euphonic imho.
The advantage with transparent/neutral is that these amplifiers let you hear the music, which is what they are supposed to do, they aren't fattening it up all the time or applying some other distortion all the time.
The other thing I feel is essential personally is cross-feed. This can be in the amplifier or elsewhere in the chain. If you are using a computer as your source you can have a cross-feed program. It is good to search for cross-feed in these forums. I mention this because I use it all the time.
I really can't recommend a specific amplifier because I have not heard them for long enough to write anything, I am just putting forward the case for a transparent amp.
I will say that I am very happy with my Meier-Audio StageDAC which is a DAC of course. Meier-Audio also make amplifiers and it could be that their Concerto is a very good one. Meier-Audio include cross-feed and it is the cross-feed on their DAC which has converted me to this.
Here is the link for the Concerto:
Here is the link for Meier-Audio main page:post #13 of 2110/21/10 at 9:10ampost #14 of 2110/21/10 at 11:47am
You can't be a tradesman without being an apprentice.You need to own and use at least one ,so called entry level amp before you have a yardstick to measure other more expensive amps with.If nothing else this will tell you how much pixie dust they have sprinkled on it to justify their prices.All i am saying is,,a £100 amp can be more fun and exciting than a £400 f.o.t.m amp.Try a Little Dot 1+ and then something by Graham Slee.For example.post #15 of 2110/21/10 at 12:36pm
Quote:Originally Posted by wallace
You can't be a tradesman without being an apprentice.You need to own and use at least one ,so called entry level amp before you have a yardstick to measure other more expensive amps with.If nothing else this will tell you how much pixie dust they have sprinkled on it to justify their prices.All i am saying is,,a £100 amp can be more fun and exciting than a £400 f.o.t.m amp.Try a Little Dot 1+ and then something by Graham Slee.For example.
You can most certainly buy a more expensive amp without buying a cheaper one first. Some amps are clearly bad values, but to say you have to spend the money and go cheaper first is just wrong. The more accurate way to say it is, it might be a good idea to hear one before buying something more expensive. And yes, I've heard and owned many cheap and expensive amps.
- Don''t want to try a bunch of entry level amps.. would like a solid amp in the 500-700 range.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 7 seconds ago
- › Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1 10 seconds ago
- › Outlaw Audio 1m PCA interconnects 23 seconds ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › Best sub-30$ CHINESE brands EARPHONES thread- Hidden Gems, Personal... 1 minute ago
- › oBravo Planar Magnetic Earphones Land in UK 1 minute ago
- › LG G5, Possible DAC or Camera modules. Audiophiles enjoy ? 3 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW ... 3 minutes ago
- › Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced 3 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HM-603 4 minutes ago
- › Yamaha EPH-M100 High-Performance Earphones by Nymphonomaniac
- › PMV A-01 HYBIRD IEM by peter123
- › Cayin N5 DSD Lossless Music Player by H20Fidelity
- › Campfire Audio Orion by piksnz
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by Asr
- › 1MORE EO323 Dual Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone... by leesure
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by Bighappy
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by areek
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM In-Ear by Yubacore
- › Meze 99 Classics by Defiant00
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse