or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Are these headphones fake? Sony MDR-7506
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Are these headphones fake? Sony MDR-7506 - Page 2

post #16 of 84


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundeffect View Post


 



Just like fake shoes, purse, movies, rugs, ties, shirts, etc.  too many of them to catch them all.  Just not a realistic thing.  That's why most headphones maker have recommended authorized retailer list, to protect there customer.  It goes with everything, if you want cheaper price on a purchase, their is always a risk. I'm not necessary saying you can't find a good one, just saying their is always that possibility. 


exactly...

post #17 of 84

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mootookang View Post


I wouldn't buy from that seller, majority of his positive comments are from private sales.
 


I missed that.  Just saw the 99% and didn't look any further.  I emailed them yesterday, and they swear they are legit.  I am 1/2 thinking of getting a legit pair just to compare.  If I get 2 real pair, no biggie, just sell one of them.  If one is fake, complain to eBay with documentation.

 

The wierd thing?  I got M50's, and M40fs's too, because I want to compare all 3.  For the AT's, I bought from US sellers because my radar was hedging on a lot of the international sellers and their auctions.  For some reason, my radar didn't flag this seller for the Sony's.
 

post #18 of 84

you must have a lot of money to be buying cheaper headphones compare to the one on your list.  I would have not buy the M50, M40, and whatever else you were planning to buy and buy a good solid set with that $$$.  I'm not trying to be rude if I am, Just curious.  Kevin Brown, what is your reason of purchasing these three? I see you say to compare, but why when you have good headphones and $$$ to go test out some of the better headphones?

post #19 of 84

It's actually not uncommon for people to buy a lot of cheaper headphones. We usually buy them to learn the sound signature, then resale them for a small loss. 

post #20 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by mootookang View Post

It's actually not uncommon for people to buy a lot of cheaper headphones. We usually buy them to learn the sound signature, then resale them for a small loss. 



I did the same thing, buying a lot of cheaper headphones to learn the sound signature and earn my taste in heaphones, but I can't see myself going backward once I go forward.  I guess to me, there are too many better headphones out there to go backward.

post #21 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by mootookang View Post

It's actually not uncommon for people to buy a lot of cheaper headphones. We usually buy them to learn the sound signature, then resale them for a small loss. 



Bingo.  :-)  It's a hobby, right?  When the M50's get *so* much praise here, I just want to have a listen.  Especially since I'm betting the M40fs's sound better, and then the Sony's are in the same league too.

 

And *sometimes*, you can actually make money on turning over headphones.  ;-)  But that's not why I do it though.

post #22 of 84

Oh no, I hope I'm not too late.

 

I was initially thinking about getting either the 7506 or v6 so I went hunting for the cheapest price. I found a 7506 going for $82 which was the cheapest coming from seemingly "legit" seller who got a best seller awards from CNET and all these other places. I was so tempted to buy it but I decided to ask the seller where both the 7506 and v6 come from. They said both are from China.

 

I decided to hit up B&H and ask them the same question. He replied that the 7506's are made in Japan while the V6 is China made. Ex'd that off my list and got the M50 instead which are made in Thailand because of the comparison reviews.


Edited by lazyjae - 10/8/10 at 1:09am
post #23 of 84


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Brown View Post





Bingo.  :-)  It's a hobby, right?  When the M50's get *so* much praise here, I just want to have a listen.  Especially since I'm betting the M40fs's sound better, and then the Sony's are in the same league too.

 

And *sometimes*, you can actually make money on turning over headphones.  ;-)  But that's not why I do it though.


cool and yup it's either a hobby or a neverending chase lol. I would love to do what you do, but I have problems letting go my headphones. Help? haha

 

  So did the M50 live up to the hype somewhat? What's the verdict against the other lower end headphones?  I'm just curious, I have the M50 also, but I don't have a lot of experience with the mid/high end headphones.  I will make a jump soon though.

post #24 of 84

 All 3 of those are on the way.  :-)

 

 

The 7506's are still made in Japan?  I find that hard to believe.  Sony has "offshored" almost all of their manufacturing by now.  Their higher end stuff used to be made in Japan, but I don't know if even that's true anymore.

 

 

Anyone with a recent set of 7506's out there?

 

post #25 of 84

I personally think that the m50 gets a lot of praise because majority of the head-fiers are bass heads, and do not have proper amps for higher end headphones. There's no doubt that the m50 are a pair of great headphones, but I do not see it as a giant killer, as so many has claimed.

 

I also find the sonys to sound a bit unnatural without some serious amping. These phones focus too much on the details and the background of the music, rather than presenting the actual music itself. I can see these for studio use, but I would generally stay away from it for personal use.

 

Of course, YMMV. This is just my $0.02. 

 

EDIT:

 

From what I remember, the second batch of v6 and 7506 are made in Thailand. I could be wrong though.


Edited by mootookang - 10/8/10 at 1:55am
post #26 of 84

Well I think the M50 gets a lot of praise because it's a solid entry headphone to get your feet wet for new audiophiles.  It has a little bit of everything and doesn't really perform bad in any area, of course, also not great in other areas too. I'm sure some may find it not to their liking of course like with any headphones.  In the end, it's cheap, solid built, and perform very well. 

 

I totally agree that it's not a giant killer, but it can hold itself pretty well with headphone $200 and below.

post #27 of 84

I called B&H sales department like 2-3 weeks ago and asked them to look it up for me both. He said the 7506 they have in stock says they are made in Japan on the box while the cheaper but nonetheless practically identical V6 is made in China. Then I asked him where the M50's are made in, he said Thailand which is what it says on the back.

 

Also, the M50's initially sucked really bad but after continuous listening it's more enjoyable to listen to music with these than my 555. The sound is much warmer now, sludginess is down by I'd say 75-80% (or maybe that's just how it sounds ). I want a bit more clarity out of these but it has improved so much overall, ESPECIALLY the bass. It's so much more controlled now, I had to boost the bass setting earlier today.

 

I'm a late one but I'm finally more pleased than not with the M50.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Brown View Post

 All 3 of those are on the way.  :-)

 

 

The 7506's are still made in Japan?  I find that hard to believe.  Sony has "offshored" almost all of their manufacturing by now.  Their higher end stuff used to be made in Japan, but I don't know if even that's true anymore.

 

 

Anyone with a recent set of 7506's out there?

 


Edited by lazyjae - 10/8/10 at 6:52am
post #28 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundeffect View Post

Well I think the M50 gets a lot of praise because it's a solid entry headphone to get your feet wet for new audiophiles.  It has a little bit of everything and doesn't really perform bad in any area, of course, also not great in other areas too. I'm sure some may find it not to their liking of course like with any headphones.  In the end, it's cheap, solid built, and perform very well. 

 

I totally agree that it's not a giant killer, but it can hold itself pretty well with headphone $200 and below.


I think it would be closer to $150, since HD 25 I-II and phaiton MS400 can be found refurbished at that price point.

post #29 of 84

 

Quote:
 I called B&H sales department like 2-3 weeks ago and asked them to look it up for me both. He said the 7506 they have in stock says they are made in Japan on the box while the cheaper but nonetheless practically identical V6 is made in China.

 

I'd love the get that confirmed by a user with the box in front of them.  Not that I don't believe B&H, but ...  :-)

post #30 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by mootookang View Post




I think it would be closer to $150, since HD 25 I-II and phaiton MS400 can be found refurbished at that price point.



As you said it, that's refurbish price. Either way, it still hold it's place.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Are these headphones fake? Sony MDR-7506