Hello everyone. What's the best value amp for a pair of HD650's for under $100?
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 10/5/10
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 10/5/10
- productNuForce Icon HDP (High-end Headphone Amp, USB DAC, Preamp)tagged by System, 5/13/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 10/5/10
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 10/5/10
Related Forum Threads
- SS Amp recommendation Last post on 4/10/11 at 11:46am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- PS Audio GCHA vs. Nuforce HDP better choice for Sennheiser 650/580 ? Last post on 1/20/11 at 9:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp for Sennheiser HD650 Last post on 9/1/10 at 3:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Mixer as amp for Sennheiser HD650's? Last post on 9/9/10 at 9:44pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Senn 650 - which balanced tube amp Last post on 7/31/10 at 6:20am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Not too much to say here other than that these headphones are stellar! I mostly listen to my vinyl collection with these bad boys and it's an absolute joy. I purchased an external amp to power them...
Man are these awesome , they're cheap..but as all Beyers they sound fu**** awesome , these are clean , fun and dynamic , they sound excellent Let me preface this by telling this...
This is actually the first "over-head" headphone i ever bought, but compared to my philips and LG tone+ this one is a lot more for 70$, i mainly use it on my gaming rig with sound card...
Ok we'll these were my first over ear headphones I fell in love with and there's plenty of reasons for that, I'll talk about the durability, comfort level and mind blowing bass first -...
My video review for those interested: The VS3S is a VSONIC’s latest earphone, and they have made a big claim. That is that these VS3S as well as their brother VSD3(at the current price of...
Sennheiser HD650 AMPpost #1 of 3810/4/10 at 3:28pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 3810/4/10 at 8:36pmpost #3 of 3810/4/10 at 8:55pmThread Starter
Thanks for the welcome. My roommate sold me his HD650s for a good price because he was going to buy something more expensive. He sold me his HD650's but didn't sell me his amp, and he says they sound so much better w/ an amp. But i don't know what amps to be looking at and how much i should be spending. What is the best value amp that really lets the HD650 shine in all its potential? Thankspost #4 of 3810/4/10 at 8:58pmpost #5 of 3810/4/10 at 8:59pmThread Starterpost #6 of 3810/4/10 at 9:55pmpost #7 of 3810/4/10 at 10:37pmpost #8 of 3810/5/10 at 1:29am
Do you also need a DAC? The best price-performance ratio is in the NuForce Icon HDP as far as I know, all comments I´ve seen on the combo have been extremely positive. But it´s 450 $... I´d wait and save up, to be honest I don´t think there is an amp under 100$ that drives the HD 650 well enough...post #9 of 3810/5/10 at 1:46ampost #10 of 3810/5/10 at 1:55ampost #11 of 3810/5/10 at 3:15amThread Starterpost #12 of 3810/5/10 at 5:06ampost #13 of 3810/5/10 at 5:02pm
I'm using an Audinst HUD-mx1 DAC/ Amp driving my HD650s and its working rather well. I know there are (much) better things out there, but for its $180 pricetag I couldn't be happier.post #14 of 3810/5/10 at 9:47pmThread Starter
your responses are really helpful for someone who is just starting to dive into the world of high-end audio. I have a question about amps in general.
Do I need an amp for my headphones if i don't listen to my music really loud? Or is the amp necessary regardless of what volume I play my music? Thanks.post #15 of 3810/6/10 at 5:50am
The idea of buying an amplifier isn't just so that your music is louder. Many headphones, the HD650s in particular, require A LOT of power to drive, power that many onboard systems just can't really provide. Getting an amplifier solves this problem (assuming you get one that matches your needs) because it bumps up the power to a point that can actually run your headphones the way they are meant to be run. You can obviously run them from any headphone jack, but if you properly amplify the sound signal, then you will benefit from more clarity and such. You must realise however, that because the HD650s have a resistance of 300 Ohms, the number of amplifiers that can properly drive them diminishes. From what I've read, few portable amps can run them (though would you really want to walk around with them on?), and many of the cheaper desktop amps can't provide adequate power either. Then you have to worry about synergy (how well your headphone pairs with a certain amp)... A dark and endless hole this is.
- Sennheiser HD650 AMP
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Audio-gd USB-32 Firmware, Drivers, and Feedback Thread 29 seconds ago
- › Trying to find the perfect over-ear headphones to invest in 45 seconds ago
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 IEM 1 minute ago
- › ALO The Pan Am - The tube rolling thread 1 minute ago
- › AK100II 1 minute ago
- › Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011) 1 minute ago
- › [New] Philips Fidelio X1 3 minutes ago
- › New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and... 4 minutes ago
- › Light Harmonic GEEK 4 minutes ago
- › Audiophile cables, an interesting question. 6 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by WavyGravy1
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 710 Trendline Stereo Headphone by MrTechAgent
- › Marshall Headphones - 'Major' Over Ear (Black) by Kordz
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by 12cc2
- › VSONIC VSD3S Black High Fidelity Professional Quality Stereo... by Tom22
- › AKG K 550 by QBoQBo
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by smellyfungus
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by hans030390
- › Fostex TH 900 by archeryc
- › Garage1217 Project Polaris by Asr
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)