Hello everyone. What's the best value amp for a pair of HD650's for under $100?
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 10/5/10
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 10/5/10
- productNuForce Icon HDP (High-end Headphone Amp, USB DAC, Preamp)tagged by System, 5/13/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 10/5/10
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 10/5/10
Related Forum Threads
- SS Amp recommendation Last post on 4/10/11 at 11:46am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- PS Audio GCHA vs. Nuforce HDP better choice for Sennheiser 650/580 ? Last post on 1/20/11 at 9:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp for Sennheiser HD650 Last post on 9/1/10 at 3:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Mixer as amp for Sennheiser HD650's? Last post on 9/9/10 at 9:44pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Senn 650 - which balanced tube amp Last post on 7/31/10 at 6:20am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
After owning the PS Audio PWD II for six months, most recently running firmware version 2.4.6 (which is the best I tried), I wanted to move to a dac/preamp solution that would include analog inputs...
Prior to owning the Ref 1, Tralucent Audio was primarily known to me for it Uber cable as well as its silver/gold cable. I own both cables terminated for Fitear customs. I have had the Ref 1...
Introduction – As the current flagship of the young company Brainwavz, the R3 has a quite a lot on its shoulders. Utilizing a relatively new dual-dynamic driver configuration, uncommon with most...
Disclaimer: a. I am in no way affiliated with Fiio b. The X1 audition was a part of a world tour audition. c. There is no monetary or in kind gain due to the audition. With the disclaimer...
I'd say this is a great set of IEMs for its price if you're looking for that consumer v-shaped sound sig. It's not the most balanced sound sig, but for what it is, it sounds pretty good. The mids...
Sennheiser HD650 AMPpost #1 of 3810/4/10 at 3:28pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 3810/4/10 at 8:36pmpost #3 of 3810/4/10 at 8:55pmThread Starter
Thanks for the welcome. My roommate sold me his HD650s for a good price because he was going to buy something more expensive. He sold me his HD650's but didn't sell me his amp, and he says they sound so much better w/ an amp. But i don't know what amps to be looking at and how much i should be spending. What is the best value amp that really lets the HD650 shine in all its potential? Thankspost #4 of 3810/4/10 at 8:58pmpost #5 of 3810/4/10 at 8:59pmThread Starterpost #6 of 3810/4/10 at 9:55pmpost #7 of 3810/4/10 at 10:37pmpost #8 of 3810/5/10 at 1:29am
Do you also need a DAC? The best price-performance ratio is in the NuForce Icon HDP as far as I know, all comments I´ve seen on the combo have been extremely positive. But it´s 450 $... I´d wait and save up, to be honest I don´t think there is an amp under 100$ that drives the HD 650 well enough...post #9 of 3810/5/10 at 1:46ampost #10 of 3810/5/10 at 1:55ampost #11 of 3810/5/10 at 3:15amThread Starterpost #12 of 3810/5/10 at 5:06ampost #13 of 3810/5/10 at 5:02pm
I'm using an Audinst HUD-mx1 DAC/ Amp driving my HD650s and its working rather well. I know there are (much) better things out there, but for its $180 pricetag I couldn't be happier.post #14 of 3810/5/10 at 9:47pmThread Starter
your responses are really helpful for someone who is just starting to dive into the world of high-end audio. I have a question about amps in general.
Do I need an amp for my headphones if i don't listen to my music really loud? Or is the amp necessary regardless of what volume I play my music? Thanks.post #15 of 3810/6/10 at 5:50am
The idea of buying an amplifier isn't just so that your music is louder. Many headphones, the HD650s in particular, require A LOT of power to drive, power that many onboard systems just can't really provide. Getting an amplifier solves this problem (assuming you get one that matches your needs) because it bumps up the power to a point that can actually run your headphones the way they are meant to be run. You can obviously run them from any headphone jack, but if you properly amplify the sound signal, then you will benefit from more clarity and such. You must realise however, that because the HD650s have a resistance of 300 Ohms, the number of amplifiers that can properly drive them diminishes. From what I've read, few portable amps can run them (though would you really want to walk around with them on?), and many of the cheaper desktop amps can't provide adequate power either. Then you have to worry about synergy (how well your headphone pairs with a certain amp)... A dark and endless hole this is.
- Sennheiser HD650 AMP
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › DITA - The Answer (Truth Edition). 1 minute ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 2 minutes ago
- › REVIEW - Encore mDAC portable headphone DAC/amp with 24bit/96kHz... 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › REVIEW: Fidue A31s & A63 - New contenders 3 minutes ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 4 minutes ago
- › Decent in ear buds with iPhone compatibility? ($50-60 range) 4 minutes ago
- › [Review] Audio Technica Ckr-9: Experiencing Sound Reality 5 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NWZ-A10 Series Walkman. Micro SD Card Slot! 5 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 5 minutes ago
- › Grace Design m920 by boatheelmusic
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kiats
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by Audiophile1811
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by hitchhiker
- › Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 MK301 by Midgetguy
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by Rajikaru
- › MyST 1866 by cleg
- › The Enigma by Levaix
- › Bowers & Wilkins C5 S2 In-Ear Headphones, Black by twister6
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)