Hello everyone. What's the best value amp for a pair of HD650's for under $100?
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 10/5/10
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 10/5/10
- productNuForce Icon HDP (High-end Headphone Amp, USB DAC, Preamp)tagged by System, 5/13/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 10/5/10
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 10/5/10
Related Forum Threads
- SS Amp recommendation Last post on 4/10/11 at 11:46am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- PS Audio GCHA vs. Nuforce HDP better choice for Sennheiser 650/580 ? Last post on 1/20/11 at 9:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp for Sennheiser HD650 Last post on 9/1/10 at 3:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Mixer as amp for Sennheiser HD650's? Last post on 9/9/10 at 9:44pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Senn 650 - which balanced tube amp Last post on 7/31/10 at 6:20am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Sound is neutral with a slight mid bass tilt. Highs and lows are well extended. Sound stage is large for an iem. The bass has some impact without being boomy. The treble is clear without...
Thanks to Vivian from DUNU, I was able to listen to the best IEMs I place in my ears. I have reviewed a few IEMs such as the MEELEC M9, A151, CC51, M-DUO, JVC FXT90 and recently the Havi B3P1, but...
These have nice dynamics and are flatter than some headphones. Despite that the low-end still has enough gusto to bring tracks to life. Another benefit is the detachable cable which uses a 5N OFC...
Disclaimer: I am in not associated with any company; my views are mine, and my own. The Thinksound Rain2 is the newest IEM produced and designed by the environmentally friendly company...
Introduction: When I first came accross the AudioMinor in e-bay I was surprised that the seller is located in the country where I live: Turkey. I have contacted with the company owner/ebay...
Sennheiser HD650 AMPpost #1 of 3810/4/10 at 3:28pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 3810/4/10 at 8:36pmpost #3 of 3810/4/10 at 8:55pmThread Starter
Thanks for the welcome. My roommate sold me his HD650s for a good price because he was going to buy something more expensive. He sold me his HD650's but didn't sell me his amp, and he says they sound so much better w/ an amp. But i don't know what amps to be looking at and how much i should be spending. What is the best value amp that really lets the HD650 shine in all its potential? Thankspost #4 of 3810/4/10 at 8:58pmpost #5 of 3810/4/10 at 8:59pmThread Starterpost #6 of 3810/4/10 at 9:55pmpost #7 of 3810/4/10 at 10:37pmpost #8 of 3810/5/10 at 1:29am
Do you also need a DAC? The best price-performance ratio is in the NuForce Icon HDP as far as I know, all comments I´ve seen on the combo have been extremely positive. But it´s 450 $... I´d wait and save up, to be honest I don´t think there is an amp under 100$ that drives the HD 650 well enough...post #9 of 3810/5/10 at 1:46ampost #10 of 3810/5/10 at 1:55ampost #11 of 3810/5/10 at 3:15amThread Starterpost #12 of 3810/5/10 at 5:06ampost #13 of 3810/5/10 at 5:02pm
I'm using an Audinst HUD-mx1 DAC/ Amp driving my HD650s and its working rather well. I know there are (much) better things out there, but for its $180 pricetag I couldn't be happier.post #14 of 3810/5/10 at 9:47pmThread Starter
your responses are really helpful for someone who is just starting to dive into the world of high-end audio. I have a question about amps in general.
Do I need an amp for my headphones if i don't listen to my music really loud? Or is the amp necessary regardless of what volume I play my music? Thanks.post #15 of 3810/6/10 at 5:50am
The idea of buying an amplifier isn't just so that your music is louder. Many headphones, the HD650s in particular, require A LOT of power to drive, power that many onboard systems just can't really provide. Getting an amplifier solves this problem (assuming you get one that matches your needs) because it bumps up the power to a point that can actually run your headphones the way they are meant to be run. You can obviously run them from any headphone jack, but if you properly amplify the sound signal, then you will benefit from more clarity and such. You must realise however, that because the HD650s have a resistance of 300 Ohms, the number of amplifiers that can properly drive them diminishes. From what I've read, few portable amps can run them (though would you really want to walk around with them on?), and many of the cheaper desktop amps can't provide adequate power either. Then you have to worry about synergy (how well your headphone pairs with a certain amp)... A dark and endless hole this is.
- Sennheiser HD650 AMP
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton? 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 5 minutes ago
- › Nice Competition: Alclair, Native DSD, Music Direct & iFi Audio... 8 minutes ago
- › Best amp to use with PS4 with Sennheiser G4me One? 8 minutes ago
- › Multi-IEM Review - 333 IEMs compared (UBSOUND Fighter added... 9 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 10 minutes ago
- › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5 13 minutes ago
- › iCAN Amp Review: A New Amp that Gives You More: More Bass, More... 13 minutes ago
- › Onkyo DAC Amp HA200 14 minutes ago
- › Miles Davis Trumpet High Performance In-ear Headphones by Merfolk
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Niyologist
- › Goldring DR100 High Fidelity Stereo Headphones by interpolate
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Delance26
- › AudioMinor Headphone Cables by Baycode
- › Etymotic Research Isolator MK5 Noise-Isolating In-Ear Earphones by eyal1983
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold by Frank I
- › OSTRY KC06 High Fidelity Stereo Inner-Ear Earphones by Inks
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by Hifi Enthusiast
- › Schiit Vali by CEE TEE
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3