Hello everyone. What's the best value amp for a pair of HD650's for under $100?
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 10/5/10
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 10/5/10
- productNuForce Icon HDP (High-end Headphone Amp, USB DAC, Preamp)tagged by System, 5/13/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 10/5/10
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 10/5/10
Related Forum Threads
- SS Amp recommendation Last post on 4/10/11 at 11:46am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- PS Audio GCHA vs. Nuforce HDP better choice for Sennheiser 650/580 ? Last post on 1/20/11 at 9:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp for Sennheiser HD650 Last post on 9/1/10 at 3:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Mixer as amp for Sennheiser HD650's? Last post on 9/9/10 at 9:44pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Senn 650 - which balanced tube amp Last post on 7/31/10 at 6:20am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/6/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Introduction: There seems to be quite a bit of discussion and disagreements regarding HIFIMAN’s (HFM) newest headphone, the HE400S. Some have praised the HE400S as being a giant slayer while other...
Brainwavz needs no introduction. They have been in the IEM market long enough that they have made a name for themselves, especially in the bang-for-bucks section. The S5 has been in the market for...
I would like to start by saying thank you to Penon Audio for letting me check out the SHOZY Lancea. The Lacea was sent to me in exchange for my honest opinion of it. The SHOZY Lancea is available...
Fidelio X2 is a really nice headphone at this price point. I paid only 190 USD for a new pair and cannot be more happy with the purchase. X2 sounds very open and has an airy soundstage. Still the...
At the time this review was written the Cayin C5DAC was on sale at Penon Audio for $215.00 USD. Here is a link to their...
Sennheiser HD650 AMPpost #1 of 3810/4/10 at 3:28pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 3810/4/10 at 8:36pmpost #3 of 3810/4/10 at 8:55pmThread Starter
Thanks for the welcome. My roommate sold me his HD650s for a good price because he was going to buy something more expensive. He sold me his HD650's but didn't sell me his amp, and he says they sound so much better w/ an amp. But i don't know what amps to be looking at and how much i should be spending. What is the best value amp that really lets the HD650 shine in all its potential? Thankspost #4 of 3810/4/10 at 8:58pmpost #5 of 3810/4/10 at 8:59pmThread Starterpost #6 of 3810/4/10 at 9:55pmpost #7 of 3810/4/10 at 10:37pmpost #8 of 3810/5/10 at 1:29am
Do you also need a DAC? The best price-performance ratio is in the NuForce Icon HDP as far as I know, all comments I´ve seen on the combo have been extremely positive. But it´s 450 $... I´d wait and save up, to be honest I don´t think there is an amp under 100$ that drives the HD 650 well enough...post #9 of 3810/5/10 at 1:46ampost #10 of 3810/5/10 at 1:55ampost #11 of 3810/5/10 at 3:15amThread Starterpost #12 of 3810/5/10 at 5:06ampost #13 of 3810/5/10 at 5:02pm
I'm using an Audinst HUD-mx1 DAC/ Amp driving my HD650s and its working rather well. I know there are (much) better things out there, but for its $180 pricetag I couldn't be happier.post #14 of 3810/5/10 at 9:47pmThread Starter
your responses are really helpful for someone who is just starting to dive into the world of high-end audio. I have a question about amps in general.
Do I need an amp for my headphones if i don't listen to my music really loud? Or is the amp necessary regardless of what volume I play my music? Thanks.post #15 of 3810/6/10 at 5:50am
The idea of buying an amplifier isn't just so that your music is louder. Many headphones, the HD650s in particular, require A LOT of power to drive, power that many onboard systems just can't really provide. Getting an amplifier solves this problem (assuming you get one that matches your needs) because it bumps up the power to a point that can actually run your headphones the way they are meant to be run. You can obviously run them from any headphone jack, but if you properly amplify the sound signal, then you will benefit from more clarity and such. You must realise however, that because the HD650s have a resistance of 300 Ohms, the number of amplifiers that can properly drive them diminishes. From what I've read, few portable amps can run them (though would you really want to walk around with them on?), and many of the cheaper desktop amps can't provide adequate power either. Then you have to worry about synergy (how well your headphone pairs with a certain amp)... A dark and endless hole this is.
- Sennheiser HD650 AMP
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 39 seconds ago
- › D.C. Area Meet (Sunday, August 30, 2015) - part of CanMania @... 1 minute ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 1 minute ago
- › Windows 10 Schiit MODI Drivers? 1 minute ago
- › [AUS] GRACE M902 Amplifier / DAC 2 minutes ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 5 minutes ago
- › Project Sunrise/PS2 Tube Rolling Thread (and maybe even Project... 5 minutes ago
- › LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by chowmein83
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by Cotnijoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by ClieOS
- › Shozy Lancea mini dac amplifier 24bit/192khz for Android/iOS/PC/iPhone by peter123
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by muxamed
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by Bansaku
- › Astell&Kern AK380 Ultimate High Fidelity Portable Music Player by piercer
- › JBL Synchros S300 Premium On-Ear Stereo Headphones by ourfpshero
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by Mark231
- › Sony MDR EX1000 by dubbcd
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2