Hello everyone. What's the best value amp for a pair of HD650's for under $100?
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 10/5/10
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 10/5/10
- productNuForce Icon HDP (High-end Headphone Amp, USB DAC, Preamp)tagged by System, 5/13/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 10/5/10
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 10/5/10
Related Forum Threads
- SS Amp recommendation Last post on 4/10/11 at 11:46am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- PS Audio GCHA vs. Nuforce HDP better choice for Sennheiser 650/580 ? Last post on 1/20/11 at 9:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp for Sennheiser HD650 Last post on 9/1/10 at 3:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Mixer as amp for Sennheiser HD650's? Last post on 9/9/10 at 9:44pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Senn 650 - which balanced tube amp Last post on 7/31/10 at 6:20am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Me: I am a 21 year old Engineering student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and...
It seems petty to complain about a $100 hi-res/high capacity player, but I'll give it whirl. It might help to understand that I've been using iPods and iTunes since Apple came out with the...
I have to talk about my expectation on this Headphone first. I am not a senior audiophile. 3 years ago, my first pair of AKG K601 lead me into this wonderful world of audiophile. This pair...
IEMs I own and have used extensively before: Vsonic GR07 (single dynamic), Vsonic VC1000 (dual BA), Etymotic HF5 (single BA) (all around or slightly above $100). Fit and Comfort The...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION I’ve been working with RockJaw UK for the last 12 months giving feedback on their IEM...
Sennheiser HD650 AMPpost #1 of 3810/4/10 at 3:28pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 3810/4/10 at 8:36pmpost #3 of 3810/4/10 at 8:55pmThread Starter
Thanks for the welcome. My roommate sold me his HD650s for a good price because he was going to buy something more expensive. He sold me his HD650's but didn't sell me his amp, and he says they sound so much better w/ an amp. But i don't know what amps to be looking at and how much i should be spending. What is the best value amp that really lets the HD650 shine in all its potential? Thankspost #4 of 3810/4/10 at 8:58pmpost #5 of 3810/4/10 at 8:59pmThread Starterpost #6 of 3810/4/10 at 9:55pmpost #7 of 3810/4/10 at 10:37pmpost #8 of 3810/5/10 at 1:29am
Do you also need a DAC? The best price-performance ratio is in the NuForce Icon HDP as far as I know, all comments I´ve seen on the combo have been extremely positive. But it´s 450 $... I´d wait and save up, to be honest I don´t think there is an amp under 100$ that drives the HD 650 well enough...post #9 of 3810/5/10 at 1:46ampost #10 of 3810/5/10 at 1:55ampost #11 of 3810/5/10 at 3:15amThread Starterpost #12 of 3810/5/10 at 5:06ampost #13 of 3810/5/10 at 5:02pm
I'm using an Audinst HUD-mx1 DAC/ Amp driving my HD650s and its working rather well. I know there are (much) better things out there, but for its $180 pricetag I couldn't be happier.post #14 of 3810/5/10 at 9:47pmThread Starter
your responses are really helpful for someone who is just starting to dive into the world of high-end audio. I have a question about amps in general.
Do I need an amp for my headphones if i don't listen to my music really loud? Or is the amp necessary regardless of what volume I play my music? Thanks.post #15 of 3810/6/10 at 5:50am
The idea of buying an amplifier isn't just so that your music is louder. Many headphones, the HD650s in particular, require A LOT of power to drive, power that many onboard systems just can't really provide. Getting an amplifier solves this problem (assuming you get one that matches your needs) because it bumps up the power to a point that can actually run your headphones the way they are meant to be run. You can obviously run them from any headphone jack, but if you properly amplify the sound signal, then you will benefit from more clarity and such. You must realise however, that because the HD650s have a resistance of 300 Ohms, the number of amplifiers that can properly drive them diminishes. From what I've read, few portable amps can run them (though would you really want to walk around with them on?), and many of the cheaper desktop amps can't provide adequate power either. Then you have to worry about synergy (how well your headphone pairs with a certain amp)... A dark and endless hole this is.
- Sennheiser HD650 AMP
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › The Centrance HiFi M8 thread 20 seconds ago
- › EarWerkz Legend R. 8 Driver, 7-Way, 6-Crossover Flagship |... 1 minute ago
- › DigiZoid ZO FS & ZO FS+ (a.k.a. ZO3) Updates & Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › SENNHEISER HD600...MINT...LESS THAN 2 MONTHS OLD 5 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 6 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › HUM Pervasion is coming - New DAP in Town 8 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG +... 8 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-1R series MK2 9 minutes ago
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-100 by Spiderman
- › Audinst HUD-mx2 by YoYo JoKeR
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by koloseij
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Nap-Chiang
- › Noble 4 by Airlight
- › ROCK JAW KOMMAND BA + Dynamic hybrid by Brooko
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by Apex Eight
- › Westone UM Pro30 High Performance Triple Driver Universal Fit... by Sort
- › Audio-Technica ATH-WS99 | SOLID BASS Portable Headphones (Japan... by Mottom
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by Kenny Ingram
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)