Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › The "luxuries that I give up to save some money" thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "luxuries that I give up to save some money" thread. - Page 4

post #46 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francisco View Post

I asked my phone provider to block my access to escort-service numbers.


Man, times must be tough!

post #47 of 134

I'm from Portugal and the fecal matter has it the cealing-mounted refreshening rotary device :\

post #48 of 134



+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post

I cut back on children. They cost too much.

post #49 of 134

I gave up on videogames to spend more money on audio. They kind of suck nowadays IMO.

post #50 of 134

 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Francisco View Post

I'm from Portugal and the fecal matter has it the cealing-mounted refreshening rotary device :\


 

 

 


Edited by revolink24 - 11/8/10 at 3:37pm
post #51 of 134

I've had to give up Bookers and Knob Creek in favor of Jim Beam and Ezra Brooks ;p

post #52 of 134
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francisco View Post

I'm from Portugal and the fecal matter has it the cealing-mounted refreshening rotary device :\



Pardon my apathy, but I don't understand.

post #53 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbird View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by Francisco View Post

I'm from Portugal and the fecal matter has it the cealing-mounted refreshening rotary device :\



Pardon my apathy, but I don't understand.



Hence why you should watch the above clip I posted.

post #54 of 134

,

I don't need the latest and greatest gadgets, don't have a girlfriend, wear non flashy clothing, buy items that are built to last, don't eat out too much

post #55 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post

,

I don't need the latest and greatest gadgets, don't have a girlfriend, wear non flashy clothing, buy items that are built to last, don't eat out too much


I avoid things that don't say lifetime warranty on them. The obvious exclusions are items that couldn't possibly last that long. I do my best to go with the best possibly solution though. As an example, Logitech gaming mice last FOREVER. I beat on a G5 for easily 3-4 years before the side scrolling started to fail. THe rest of the mouse still works. THe mouse I had was the FIRST G5 SE that I know of ever sold. I can say this because the product wasn't announced until 3 months after I bought it. At that point in time they were taking pre-orders for a mouse I had used for 4-5 months. It was a mystery as to why my mouse had no drivers available for it on the webiste until I found the pre-order for the mouse on logitech's site. :O

 

Oh well, I had the trusty driver disc. :O

post #56 of 134

to save money i:

disconnect all of my appliances after using them to conserve electricity. (i.e. tv, stereo system, cell phone charger, microwave etc. except clocks and refridgerator.)

turn off ac when leaving house, or when it's cool outside.

buying most of my clothes on sale. (can't remember when i paid full price for a shirt.)

selling all of my useless stuff on ebay.

using glasses instead of contacts.

taking care of my stuff.

post #57 of 134

I don't smoke, rarely drink, don't drive (any city worth living in is inherently walkable and has public transit), don't go clubbing like other people my age, don't care about high fashion or makeup and I don't have cable. However, I eat out almost constantly (pretty much ever meal except for breakfast), but that is just the culture up here, and my friends all are in to it. I figure I spend close to $2000 a month eating out. On the upside, I spend about $50 a month on groceries, most of which is beer, cereal and milk. ;)

 

I have a cellphone that costs me $17.50 a month for unlimited everything (including data, excluding long distance), thanks to years of calling up the retentions department and negotiating with the company. I have had people offer me thousands of dollars to take over my cellphone contract due to the great plan, but I'm going to hold on to it until I move, at the very least.

 

Rent is pretty cheap up here too. I'm paying $1250 a month, utilities included, for my one bedroom apartment.

 

I figure I probably spend about $3500 a month in total expenditures, which allows me to save up some money for a house in the future. I figure I'll be able to put down a 30% downpayment on my dream home in 5 or 6 years, at this rate. I'm happy with my life. ;)

post #58 of 134


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmebagnariol View Post

I don't smoke, rarely drink, don't drive (any city worth living in is inherently walkable and has public transit), don't go clubbing like other people my age, don't care about high fashion or makeup and I don't have cable. However, I eat out almost constantly (pretty much ever meal except for breakfast), but that is just the culture up here, and my friends all are in to it. I figure I spend close to $2000 a month eating out. On the upside, I spend about $50 a month on groceries, most of which is beer, cereal and milk. ;)

 

I have a cellphone that costs me $17.50 a month for unlimited everything (including data, excluding long distance), thanks to years of calling up the retentions department and negotiating with the company. I have had people offer me thousands of dollars to take over my cellphone contract due to the great plan, but I'm going to hold on to it until I move, at the very least.

 

Rent is pretty cheap up here too. I'm paying $1250 a month, utilities included, for my one bedroom apartment.

 

I figure I probably spend about $3500 a month in total expenditures, which allows me to save up some money for a house in the future. I figure I'll be able to put down a 30% downpayment on my dream home in 5 or 6 years, at this rate. I'm happy with my life. ;)


1250 a month is not cheap. I pay 650 for a 2 bed room, with heat/ac included. Electricity is another 40$.

post #59 of 134

But you live in Omaha, he lives in Ottawa...

post #60 of 134

Living with a roommate (or S.O.)...  Cuts rent in half!  For both Michigan and Sweden that means around $350/mo all inclusive.

 

I buy whatever I want at the grocery store, to resist the temptation to eat out.  I find it saves me a ton of money in the long run - since if I buy shit food to save money, I'm just as likely to not want to eat it later and go out instead.  I still have self control issues sometimes though...

 

Compare that to my new roommate from Nepal, who eats macaroni noodles with kidney beans, flavored with a little butter and a lot of ketchup, for dinner EVERY SINGLE NIGHT.  I kid you not.  And it's not like you can't have a little variety while spending the same amount either.  Well, it's a culture eye-opener to say the least.  At least it doesn't smell as bad as the food the Cameroonian girl at my last place (shared kitchen) made.  Everyone else in the apartment had to leave the kitchen when she cooked, because it literally smelled like something that should be in the toilet.

 

Anyway...

 

I buy almost everything used.  Pretty much everything except clothes (and food :D) - and that's because the majority of what I wear (lightweight nylon hiking/sports/travel gear) just isn't on the used market.  CDs, games, books, cars (heck, I couldn't afford a new one), car parts, cameras, binoculars, all my stereo and headphone stuff, sports equipment, bikes and bike parts, and even computer parts (admittedly I usually buy them new).  Basically any luxury item.  I do prefer my T.P. to be new however.  :D

 

The truth is, you get so much more value for your money with used goods that I really find it hard to make a case for new under most circumstances.

 

One thing - if you think alcohol is expensive where you live - try Sweden!  A long island ice tea costs over $25 here, at a typical bar!  That's more than three times what it would cost in Michigan...  Actually, last time I ordered one here the bartender told me how much it cost and asked me if I was really sure - but the truth is, the cost per unit alcohol is cheaper than beer here ($8 for a bottle of Budweiser or equivalent).  Then he had to have another bartender make one for him...  Oh, and the cover charge is $9 for students - almost $18 after 11:00.  Of course, everyone likes going late.  Nobody goes earlier, presumably because of the prohibitive cost of alcohol.

 

Hmm, I wonder if they do margaritas?  I'll have to check next time.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › The "luxuries that I give up to save some money" thread.