So I want to know why my headphones keep breaking every 6-8months. Is this normal? Basically I use my headphones 6 days a week. I go to class 4 days a week and work on the two weekends, and I use my earphones on my way to there. The main problem seems to be the wiring at the end of the earphones. The first two headphones I got were some Sony Fontopia ones and they lasted for about 6months each. Then I got some V-Moda Bass and I didn't really like them. Got some others in between. Then i got a Creative EP-630 and they lasted for 6months. Then got EP-640 and they lasted around 8 months. Then got some IM-590s and they didn't last long on me, didn't know why. I even got some replacements, but the wiring keeps poping out. So I'm down to my last earphone, the RE0!! So they lasted around 8 months and now they broke. The wiring at the end is a little mess up and now I'm waiting for my replacements. So I'm wondering, is this normal for earphones or is it due to my daily usage. I don't mind spending money on earphones, but I was hoping they last longer. Now I got to find some cheap backup headphones, since I have none. Ends Rant.
Related Forum Threads
- philips 9700 VS Sony MDR EX50 VS Sennheiser MX 580 Last post on 9/2/12 at 9:33am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headphone advice needed! Last post on 6/27/12 at 1:49pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- headphones for 20$ Last post on 9/23/11 at 12:02pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Suggest me a earphone/portable headphone with good bass and sound quality. Last post on 9/23/11 at 4:42am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking for Isolating portable headphones Last post on 5/23/11 at 5:13pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Very detailed quality sound . I am able to find details which missed before. Details with layer and staging. Staging and positioning isn't huge or odd. But I can feel it in my head when listening...
Disclaimer Firstly, I would like to thank the 1More team for giving these to me for the purpose of this review. All impressions will be made from as much as an objective standpoint as possible....
This is a review of the Advanced AcousticWerkes Nebula 2 IEM’s. The Advanced AcousticWerkes (AAW) Nebula 2 was sent to me from MusicTeck who is the authorized dealer in the US for AWW. A big...
About me: [[SPOILER]] Preamble:Brainwavz being based in Hongkong is quite known for its well set-up line of Accessories and IEMs. Back in the day, I was fairly active in modding my still beloved...
On my quest for the perfect sounding IEM for mobile use I came across these headphones that are rather underrepresented in the forum. The Panasonic RP-HDE10 are technically quite interesting as...
why why why...post #1 of 2610/1/10 at 1:52pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 2610/1/10 at 2:02pmpost #3 of 2610/1/10 at 2:11pmThread Starterpost #4 of 2610/1/10 at 2:21pm
Well, for a start, yes, a lot of cheap earphones are pretty much built so that you have to replace them every 6 months then you will (hopefully) buy some more. Secondly if your re0's are only 8 months old they are still under warranty so send them back to head-direct and they should replace them for you. Also how do you store your earphones when you aren't using them? Have you ever had any UE phones (i'm not recommending them but they come in very useful little plastic boxes) If you were to look in my profile you would see how many phones i've gone through since about 2004, although some were drowned and some were sold the majority died at some point. As far as any replacements go i'd recommend one's with the best warranty then they will at least be guranteed for that period. You don't have to spend too much to get a 2 year warranty with some phones so those are one's i'd look in to. Etymotic's will be quite bass lite to what you're used to but have a good warranty, Monster turbines (unless they've changed and don't quote me) have a limited lifetime warranty. Wearing your earphones all day whether or not you're listening to them is not good for cables, there aren't many earphones out there that won't fall apart eventually but a good warranty is worth just as much as the sound in some cases.
All this is IMO, YMMVpost #5 of 2610/1/10 at 2:30pmThread Starter
Yea, I did sent back my RE0 for replacement. I love my RE0 and I'm missing them right now. I guess I'll try to take more care into my headphones. I just never thought my RE0 would break =/. When I work, I usually have them for the 10hrs I work and for +1 hour on the transportation. I try to care for them, but at a point, it becomes a hassle and you get lazy. Well thanks for the input. I found out what I needed to hear.post #6 of 2610/1/10 at 4:32pm
Maybe it's because the way you wear them. i.e. cords get pinched under your cap, shoulder straps from bag pull on them, even just the pressure or your coat if the player is in the interior pocket and going through the neck opening. These are not heavy duty cords. Maybe you need this :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcUq3BhzUJU (though no mention about the cord)
or these :
or duct tape... THAT, will hold even time rifts together.post #7 of 2610/1/10 at 4:47pm
Maybe it could be how you have handle them. My Sony EX90 has lasted me 3~4 years now and I'm not having any issues with them. I always make sure not to handle them by the cable. When you pull out the plug, grab at the plug or the outer casing of the earphone (not the strain relief or the cable). Earphones have skinny cables and they will definitely not last long if handled in a rough way.post #8 of 2610/1/10 at 5:14pm
I find what also helps is wearing the cable under your shirt, and hanging them off your neck when they are not in use (if you are like me too lazy to put them in a case.) It'll probably reduce the chances of the cable getting snagged on and pulling anything, as well as just generally reducing the tension on the cable from movement.post #9 of 2610/1/10 at 5:44pmQuote:Originally Posted by Deathsycthehe11
Yea, I did sent back my RE0 for replacement. I love my RE0 and I'm missing them right now. I guess I'll try to take more care into my headphones. I just never thought my RE0 would break =/. When I work, I usually have them for the 10hrs I work and for +1 hour on the transportation. I try to care for them, but at a point, it becomes a hassle and you get lazy. Well thanks for the input. I found out what I needed to hear.
Just out of curiosity, is that 10 hours a day or for both days? If it is for a single day, then I think that you actually got a very good life span out of your RE0. Roughly 22 hours a week for 8 months comes out to 704 hours of use not including the 4 days a week you use it at school. In any case if it's always the cables that are breaking, you should take a look at models with replaceable cables UE, Westone, and Sleek to name a few.post #10 of 2610/1/10 at 7:03pm
None of the ones you've had are known for their durability though Maximo has recently upgraded the cord and plug of the iM-590 for better longevity. If you need a cheap set you can abuse, try the Meelec M9.post #11 of 2610/1/10 at 7:09pmpost #12 of 2610/1/10 at 7:22pmpost #13 of 2610/2/10 at 11:34am
After spending probably 600-700 dollars just replacing 99 dollar headphones I got a Triple.Fi 10 (which when I bought it was 99 dollars) because it had replaceable cables. And within a year the cable needed replacing. But it's nice only having to spend 20 dollars instead of 400.post #14 of 2610/2/10 at 11:44amQuote:
Are their more IEM's with replaceable cables? Like something slightly cheaper?Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- why why why...
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 24 seconds ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 52 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › LH Labs' gorgeous Vi Dac ( Tube + SS outputs ) 2 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 2 minutes ago
- › IBasso Audio IT03 2 minutes ago
- › Recommend me an AMP/DAC for the DT 880 (250 ohm) 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line... 3 minutes ago
- › AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard... 3 minutes ago
- › Arcam irDAC-II - DAC, Headphone Amp, Bluetooth Streamer by crabdog
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by dubbcd
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones with Microphone and Remote... by dnun8086
- › AAW Nebula Two Hybrid In-Ear Monitor by peter123
- › Brainwavz Krudul Duo Earphone Storage Management System Hanger by FUYU
- › Panasonic sealed earphone high-res sound source Silver RP-HDE10-S by Ralphee
- › SMSL sApII TPA6120A2 Big Power High Fidelity Stereo Headphone... by richyboy
- › Alpha & Delta D2 by crabdog
- › Philips SHE3595WT/28 In-Ear Headset with Mic White by Prosie
- › Soundaware Esther by Jackpot77
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...