Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Good deal?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good deal?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

Hey everyone,

 

I'm just getting started with high-end headphones, looking forward to it!

 

Just picked up a pair of slightly used Senn 595's (120 Ohm) for $125.00 shipped. Seems like a decent deal, right?

post #2 of 16

Yes !

post #3 of 16

595 is an excellent start

post #4 of 16

You got hd595's for cheaper than the average hd555 price so I'd say sure. Good deal.

post #5 of 16

Sounds like a good deal to me!

post #6 of 16

Fantastic deal, and they are good for a start on high end phones. You need a good source for them. 

post #7 of 16

Not bad, but I would have bought the 555 for $108 new from Amazon.

post #8 of 16


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post

Not bad, but I would have bought the 555 for $108 new from Amazon.



IMO I would definitely pay the little extra to get the 595s. The difference was actually quite large to my ears, especially in resolution.

post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek8555 View Post


 



IMO I would definitely pay the little extra to get the 595s. The difference was actually quite large to my ears, especially in resolution.


I think slaughter is referring to the fact that the hd555 and hd595 literally share the same drivers. The 555 just has an adhesive strip of foam covering the drivers to make them sound worse. Anyone with minimal DIY skills can open them up and remove the foam. 

 

Still, I can understand if someone payed $15 for the title upgrade. I wouldn't pay it because I'd just feel cheated by sennheiser. 

post #10 of 16

Oh is that the truth behind it? I haven't followed anything about the 555s and 595s in two years so I have no clue about this. If that is true then I would retract my previous statement and vote the 555s as well.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrock2150 View Post




I think slaughter is referring to the fact that the hd555 and hd595 literally share the same drivers. The 555 just has an adhesive strip of foam covering the drivers to make them sound worse. Anyone with minimal DIY skills can open them up and remove the foam. 

 

Still, I can understand if someone payed $15 for the title upgrade. I wouldn't pay it because I'd just feel cheated by sennheiser. 

post #11 of 16

Well you could get the 555 for $75, so it's up to you whether the name is worth another $50.

post #12 of 16

Impossible since they use the same driver, housing and cable. Yes you have to remove the foam from the 555, but that takes less than 5 minutes.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek8555 View Post


 



IMO I would definitely pay the little extra to get the 595s. The difference was actually quite large to my ears, especially in resolution.

post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post

Impossible since they use the same driver, housing and cable. Yes you have to remove the foam from the 555, but that takes less than 5 minutes.
 


 

IIRC the housing on the HD595's was slightly larger, I doubt it's that big of a difference. Also side by side shots of the drivers showed they were simliar bu not of the same type IIRC.

post #14 of 16

You don't RC. They have the same part numbers. A replacement driver for the 595 has the same part # as a 555.

post #15 of 16

Sounds like a good deal to me.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Good deal?