New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RE0 and Sunrise SW-Xcape

post #1 of 44
Thread Starter 

Could anyone who has owned both care to comment a little? I'm expecting some replacement RE0s to arrive, but as I've had previous Head-Direct fail with cable breakage I'd like to buy something additional. I wasn't able to find a lot of talk about them, maybe due to a lack of website at the time and the Sunrise line is fairly new right?

 

Thanks 

post #2 of 44

I've auditioned the RE0 and own the Xcape.  What did you want to know?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrett View Post

Could anyone who has owned both care to comment a little? I'm expecting some replacement RE0s to arrive, but as I've had previous Head-Direct fail with cable breakage I'd like to buy something additional. I wasn't able to find a lot of talk about them, maybe due to a lack of website at the time and the Sunrise line is fairly new right?

 

Thanks 

post #3 of 44
Thread Starter 

I get the impression from reviews that it's about the equal of RE0. Heck, why did you choose the Xcape? You must have been able to tune out all the RE0 fanatics smily_headphones1.gif They have more bass versus the RE0 I've heard before. Is the detail and treble extension about equal? Clarity and separation? Same balanced character of sound? Soundstaging any better? Build and warranty?


Edited by jarrett - 9/29/10 at 3:11pm
post #4 of 44


Oh I would take the Xcape over the RE0 in a heart beat.  The RE0 is not balanced imo.  It is bass light.  The Xcape is one of the most balanced IEMs I have heard.  And I don't mean balanced like a V-shape is balanced.  But neutral balanced, flat.  Every part of the frequency is there in the right proportion.  The detail and treble is on par about 98% of the RE0.  The reason it may be shy about 2% is related to the clarity and separation of the RE0.  To my ears the RE0 is unnaturally thin and dry, this enhances the perception of detail and really adds to clarity and separation.  You can pinpoint things w/ the RE0 because they lack a decent amount of body to the music.  I don't recall how I heard the soundstage on the RE0, the Xcape is not an overly wide SS and I don't prefer that myself anyway.  The build looks similar in the cables and housing, almost like they are from the same factory.  I prefer the smoother look and tapered design of the Xcape versus the RE0.  Has a cleaner look to me and feels solid.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrett View Post

I get the impression from reviews that it's about the equal of RE0. Heck, why did you choose the Xcape? You must have been able to tune out all the RE0 fanatics smily_headphones1.gif They have more bass versus the RE0 I've heard before. Is the detail and treble extension about equal? Clarity and separation? Same balanced character of sound? Soundstaging any better? Build and warranty?

post #5 of 44

Yea I agree with the above post. What's more sw-cape has a earphone case as well for the same amount of money making it triumph re0 based on accessories as well. Sw-Xcape is also slightly easier to drive and do not really need an amp compared to Re0 which i feel still need an amp to bring out its best.

post #6 of 44

Sunrise Audio's website is already up but not completed yet, check it out: http://www.sunrise-audio.com/

post #7 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post


Oh I would take the Xcape over the RE0 in a heart beat.  The RE0 is not balanced imo.  It is bass light.  The Xcape is one of the most balanced IEMs I have heard.  And I don't mean balanced like a V-shape is balanced.  But neutral balanced, flat.  Every part of the frequency is there in the right proportion.  The detail and treble is on par about 98% of the RE0.  The reason it may be shy about 2% is related to the clarity and separation of the RE0.  To my ears the RE0 is unnaturally thin and dry, this enhances the perception of detail and really adds to clarity and separation.  You can pinpoint things w/ the RE0 because they lack a decent amount of body to the music.  I don't recall how I heard the soundstage on the RE0, the Xcape is not an overly wide SS and I don't prefer that myself anyway.  The build looks similar in the cables and housing, almost like they are from the same factory.  I prefer the smoother look and tapered design of the Xcape versus the RE0.  Has a cleaner look to me and feels solid.

 


I agree with your perception of the Xcape's sound.

 

They sound almost like the DBA's little brother to me, what do you think? Mind you, mine are not yet burned in (shipment only arrived this evening) but they certainly sound similar enough to me in overall balance.

post #8 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan961 View Post

I agree with your perception of the Xcape's sound.

 

They sound almost like the DBA's little brother to me, what do you think? Mind you, mine are not yet burned in (shipment only arrived this evening) but they certainly sound similar enough to me in overall balance.


That's an interesting observation.  If one were to say the Xcape was a warmer, slightly more laid back (midway between DBA and RE0/MC5), dynamic driver version of the DBA I would have to agree with that completely.  I venture to say that many who wanted that balanced sound but were disappointed w/ the DBA being too cold, sibilant or bass light could find their hero in the Xcape.  What's your thought on that Ethan or anyone else that wants to chime in?  ClieOS?  Shigzeo?

 

Btw, I'll be shipping my Xcape to Joker for him to add to his compendium when he has less on his plate.  I definitely would like to see more exposure w/ these IEMs.


Edited by Anaxilus - 9/29/10 at 11:51pm
post #9 of 44

My opinion is Xcape is the little brother of RE252 - both are very balanced, analytical but not bright and share a does-nothing-wrong sound signature, except RE252 has better extension on both ends, soundstage and is more refined / resolved. I guess I would say Xcape is the 'poor man's RE252' in a sense.

post #10 of 44
Thread Starter 

Thanks. I hope we can spread the word a little. What's the warranty by the way...?


Edited by jarrett - 9/30/10 at 9:40am
post #11 of 44

It should be standard one year, IIRC.

post #12 of 44
Thread Starter 

I bought a pair on ebay now 

post #13 of 44

You intrigued me! Where can I buy this online?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

My opinion is Xcape is the little brother of RE252 - both are very balanced, analytical but not bright and share a does-nothing-wrong sound signature, except RE252 has better extension on both ends, soundstage and is more refined / resolved. I guess I would say Xcape is the 'poor man's RE252' in a sense.

post #14 of 44

Sorry. I went to check ebay.

post #15 of 44
Thread Starter 

Free international shipping! 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: