I recently bought a pair of Sony MDR NC-60s but am disappointed in the sound quality and feedback from the NC. I am considering buying a pair of Soundmagic PL50s instead - how might the isolation compare to the Sony's NC for taking the underground to and from work?
Related Forum Threads
- Help Deciding Between a Couple New IEMS Last post on 9/9/10 at 12:11am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best headphones for $300? Last post on 7/16/10 at 4:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Any classical musicians or regular classical concertgoers here using IEMs? Last post on 12/4/12 at 11:50pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Jessica Alba's IEMs Last post on 7/29/12 at 10:16am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Shure IEM installation shenanigans Last post on 7/29/12 at 5:56am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Design and Comfort S5 is a new higher-end in-ear-monitor from Brainwavz retailing at about US$100. I’m glad Brainwavz has offerings at most price points below $200. It's great that companies such...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
IEM isolation vs. active noise cancelling?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I was always a hi end home audio guy. I sort of fell into the IEM addiction on accident. I had Bose noise canceling headphones for years for long international flights I tend to take often. They worked wonders for fatigue. It may be just be, but when I landed I would be exhausted without them even if I slept.
I forgot them on a trip once and ended up buying Shure 310's. Oddly enough, while less sound made it to my eardrum, I don't feel as though they were as good an option as the Bose for fatigue, but still totally acceptable. I'm sure a lot of this is just my brain playing games with me, but just my opinion. However, they are still totally acceptable from a fatigue perspective. I've gone so far as to use both at the same time.
In any event, for noise isolation and extended use, I prefer foam tips. Id suggest either the Shure Olives, or the Monster SuperTips. I've tried everything and I'm a huge fan of the Monster Supertips now. Don't waste your time on the Comply Tips, they destroyed the sound quality for me, at least on my Sennheiser IE8s.
One other thing to consider is the size of your ear canal. I'm blessed, I have pretty large canals and can fit a small child in them. But, my girlfriend has tiny canals and I bought her a pair of monster coppers that didn't fit at all. Shure's have tiny tips and can fit in her ear just fine.
Edited by joesuburb - 9/27/10 at 9:11am
- IEM isolation vs. active noise cancelling?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › [NEW] Audio Technica CKR series (CKR10, CKR9, CKR7) 17 seconds ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 18 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 23 seconds ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 46 seconds ago
- › Hifiman HE-560 vs LCD-3 vs HD800 vs K812 -- quick impressions 1 minute ago
- › Nirvana Nevermind 96/24 on HDtracks 1 minute ago
- › Confused on which headphones to choose for a portable device. 2 minutes ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 2 minutes ago
- › Ghentaudio Cables - Impressions & Opinions. (First impressions &... 3 minutes ago
- › WTB Like New he 400's 3 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by kingpage
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)