warp08 - eagerly anticipating your review.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Comparison of Hifiman HM models Last post on 7/15/12 at 11:37pm in Portable Source Gear
- HiFiMAN 602: Talk about your initial impressions and specs Last post on 9/3/13 at 2:37am in Portable Source Gear
- Daily Commuting With Your Gear ! (Pictures Please !) Last post on 8/24/13 at 8:24pm in Portable Source Gear
- Hifiman 601 vs 602 Last post on 8/21/12 at 10:17am in Portable Source Gear
- [Solved] Help with high-end portable rig? Last post on 8/8/12 at 11:57pm in Portable Source Gear
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: Yesterday
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)Last edited: 12/28/12
http://www.head-fi.org/t/685339/new-akg-flagship-k812-first-impression/120#post_10026763 Now I correct the Google translate - I use http://www.dict.cc/ and my (small) knowledge of English I hope...
Sounds great with the modded AKG Q701. Nearly as good with that as my main amp that originally cost $350. Impressive! In fact, the Vali added nothing to the sound of the modded Q701, which is...
*I listened to the Westone 4Rs using iPhone 4S and the latest iPod Classic (6th Generation). The below sums up my listening experience from these sources only.* The Westone 4Rs fit my ears...
I have owned the ECP Audio L-2 for about 2 months now. I also own an Eddie Current Super 7 with NOS tubes, including Tung Sol BGRP driver tube. I have previously owned the Woo WA22, the Luxman...
I'm a noob to high quality audio equipment. I have been using V-Moda M-80's. I bought these because they were onsale for $272, and it would be stupid not to buy them at that price. I just opened...
Review: HiFiMAN HM-602 vs. HM-801 Comparison (56K Warning) - Page 6post #76 of 2329/30/10 at 5:21pm
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #77 of 2329/30/10 at 6:03pmThread Starterpost #78 of 2329/30/10 at 9:41pm
Quote:Originally Posted by warp08
Exactly. No matter what you improve, there will always be the next bottleneck--sorry about our wallets--somewhere. But, yes, the biggest single upgrade is the headphones/IEMs, but you still need a quality source, too. And luckily, it seems the price of entry for a really decent quality one has just dropped to a new low. Indeed, the difference between the retail pricing of an HM-801 vs. the 602's current sale price nearly pays for a pair of JH5 Pros....
IEMs are the most important link if you have a decent source. Upgrade to an 801 over the 602 with mediocre headphones probably makes no sense IMHO.
Edited by cooperpwc - 9/30/10 at 9:48pmpost #79 of 23210/8/10 at 10:42am
Would you consider the UM3x and ATH CK100 as mediocre phones?
I have decided on getting the hm-801 instead of a westone es5 (one other reason was that the hm-801 is a little cheaper)
Edited by Hyl - 10/8/10 at 10:44ampost #80 of 23210/8/10 at 11:00am
Based on what warp08 has said (IMO) you would do better getting the HM-602 and a better headphone. IMO, headphones come first in the order of importance (in an audio chain). Getting the Westone ES5 will probably give you a larger improvement over the HM-801.post #81 of 23210/8/10 at 11:13amQuote:
I quite like the UM3X.
But let me give a real world example (i.e. my real world). My iMod and Stepdance have made my ES5 sing. It's amazing. However if I had to choose between the iMod and Stepdance with a universal IEM like the UM3X or Triple-fi's or the ES5 from an iPhone headphone out, I would choose the latter every time.
Of course when you get the source, amp and IEMs all humming, that 's when things get really fun.
(And I will leave further analysis of this to those who have actually heard the 801 and 602. I sure want to...)
Edited by cooperpwc - 10/8/10 at 11:17ampost #82 of 23210/8/10 at 11:37amQuote:
Passing on the ES5 for the 801? Not sure about that one. Unless your current source is horrendous, I'd go for the ES5 by selling the other two and then look at my source.post #83 of 23210/9/10 at 6:22amQuote:
Is this officially confirmed by Fang ?post #84 of 23210/9/10 at 12:14pmThread Starter
Yes, he has disclosed this detail to me in person at the Charlotte, Can Fest when I asked about the HM-801 FW updates. The two devices share the controller chip so the same limitations apply.post #85 of 23210/9/10 at 1:41pmQuote:
Well, thats very unfortunate ... perhaps Fang should have studied this subject a little bit more prior to designing the HM 801...
Since I have already transformed all my single file albums to one file albums for the HM 801 and the ability to address single tracks is not that important for me (it's more like an old cassette recorder now, regarding the playback functionality ) I will make do with that.
Maybe I will also try this cue sheet thing ...
Abandoning all the unnecessary stuff I have now reduced my HM 801 Menu to:
Update Media File
Navigating the SD Card is easy via artist/album related folder structure.
By the way, I've no problems with inserting and ejecting the card with the player powered on (folder structure is immediately correct).
Booting the player takes only 5 to 10 sec. with full 32 GB card.
And most important it sounds still greatpost #86 of 23210/9/10 at 2:10pmThread Starterpost #87 of 23210/12/10 at 8:14am
The lack of gapless feature just kills my thoughts on buying any of these 2 , since most of my listening is done on albums with gapless feature as a must for the correct listening
oh well i guess we will wait for the 403post #88 of 23210/12/10 at 8:48am
Do you rewind your gapless albums fast/forward? If not, then merge all songs of the album into the single track and enjoy. There are some free converters, though I can not recall names.post #89 of 23210/12/10 at 8:59amQuote:
If you listen to albums which should and have to be played gapless (as I do too) I think tracks are not that important in the first place; and an easy solution to have such albums played gapless on the 801/602 (and perhaps the 403 too ...) is to join the original WAV (WAV joiner or foobar2000) or FLAC (foobar2000) files in a one file copy. Takes about some seconds.
Perhaps this is even better than have software (firmware) or hardware perform gapless playing on the fly ... (no etxra live calculations necessary)
Given the one file album track; to have the alternative to jump to single track positions inside, it would just great to have the possibility to use the cue sheet feature in such a way as to have not an extra menu entry for cue sheets (as it is the case now), but to implement this transparently, so that when you navigate to the folder containing the album via SD Card menu entry and there is a cue sheet file available, the folder list should just display the single racks. That would be great
- Review: HiFiMAN HM-602 vs. HM-801 Comparison (56K Warning)
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 15 seconds ago
- › Spider Moonlight "STUDIO" Headphones 24 seconds ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 43 seconds ago
- › Amp/DAC for HD598 $200 45 seconds ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › Headphone Stand Picture Thread 1 minute ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 1 minute ago
- › iBasso DX50 Thread (New^4 firmware update! V1.2.2) 1 minute ago
- › FS/FT: HiFiMAN HE-4 like new, Sweden EU 2 minutes ago
- › Headphones you regretted buying the most 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K812 by FritzS
- › Schiit Vali by tdockweiler
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by Wilderbeast
- › ecp audio L-2 Parafeed Headphone Amplifier by minimus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by DrumminD21311
- › FiiO RC-MH1 Headphone Upgrade Cable by SkyBleu
- › Sennheiser CX 175 by thesurvivor90
- › EarSonics SM2 v2 by Gilly87
- › Shure SE535-V Triple High-Definition MicroDriver Earphone with... by Wilderbeast
- › Sony MDRXB600 Extra Bass Over the Head 40mm Driver Headphone, Black by Shini44
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Cables &... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Wireless... by joe