warp08 - eagerly anticipating your review.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Comparison of Hifiman HM models Last post on 7/15/12 at 11:37pm in Portable Source Gear
- HiFiMAN 602: Talk about your initial impressions and specs Last post on 9/3/13 at 2:37am in Portable Source Gear
- Daily Commuting With Your Gear ! (Pictures Please !) Last post on 8/24/13 at 8:24pm in Portable Source Gear
- Hifiman 601 vs 602 Last post on 8/21/12 at 10:17am in Portable Source Gear
- [Solved] Help with high-end portable rig? Last post on 8/8/12 at 11:57pm in Portable Source Gear
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)Last edited: 12/28/12
My current set. My favorite and my private oasis. These beauties will cut out most if not all ambient noise like while driving in a car and household noise when the music is flowing. I became a fan...
I was asked to listen to the Musical Fidelity MF100 and received them about 4 weeks ago. I get quite a lot of headphones through my door, I only review the ones I like and I like these a lot. I...
Got the SE846 last week and did some hours of comparison with my current SE535. My bias was towards keeping them - I like flagship products as a "there is nothing better" products, i.e. do not...
So I finally broke my go to earbuds, and went searching for a replacement. I was actually so disappointed with these things that I made it a point to get out and put out a review. Bass continuously...
I was looking for closed headphones with a pricetag up to €200 that could be used without an amp. After some research and listening sessions I bought the M50x. There's really not a lot to say about...
Review: HiFiMAN HM-602 vs. HM-801 Comparison (56K Warning) - Page 6post #76 of 2339/30/10 at 5:21pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #77 of 2339/30/10 at 6:03pmThread Starterpost #78 of 2339/30/10 at 9:41pm
Quote:Originally Posted by warp08
Exactly. No matter what you improve, there will always be the next bottleneck--sorry about our wallets--somewhere. But, yes, the biggest single upgrade is the headphones/IEMs, but you still need a quality source, too. And luckily, it seems the price of entry for a really decent quality one has just dropped to a new low. Indeed, the difference between the retail pricing of an HM-801 vs. the 602's current sale price nearly pays for a pair of JH5 Pros....
IEMs are the most important link if you have a decent source. Upgrade to an 801 over the 602 with mediocre headphones probably makes no sense IMHO.
Edited by cooperpwc - 9/30/10 at 9:48pmpost #79 of 23310/8/10 at 10:42am
Would you consider the UM3x and ATH CK100 as mediocre phones?
I have decided on getting the hm-801 instead of a westone es5 (one other reason was that the hm-801 is a little cheaper)
Edited by Hyl - 10/8/10 at 10:44ampost #80 of 23310/8/10 at 11:00am
Based on what warp08 has said (IMO) you would do better getting the HM-602 and a better headphone. IMO, headphones come first in the order of importance (in an audio chain). Getting the Westone ES5 will probably give you a larger improvement over the HM-801.post #81 of 23310/8/10 at 11:13amQuote:
I quite like the UM3X.
But let me give a real world example (i.e. my real world). My iMod and Stepdance have made my ES5 sing. It's amazing. However if I had to choose between the iMod and Stepdance with a universal IEM like the UM3X or Triple-fi's or the ES5 from an iPhone headphone out, I would choose the latter every time.
Of course when you get the source, amp and IEMs all humming, that 's when things get really fun.
(And I will leave further analysis of this to those who have actually heard the 801 and 602. I sure want to...)
Edited by cooperpwc - 10/8/10 at 11:17ampost #82 of 23310/8/10 at 11:37amQuote:
Passing on the ES5 for the 801? Not sure about that one. Unless your current source is horrendous, I'd go for the ES5 by selling the other two and then look at my source.post #83 of 23310/9/10 at 6:22amQuote:
Is this officially confirmed by Fang ?post #84 of 23310/9/10 at 12:14pmThread Starter
Yes, he has disclosed this detail to me in person at the Charlotte, Can Fest when I asked about the HM-801 FW updates. The two devices share the controller chip so the same limitations apply.post #85 of 23310/9/10 at 1:41pmQuote:
Well, thats very unfortunate ... perhaps Fang should have studied this subject a little bit more prior to designing the HM 801...
Since I have already transformed all my single file albums to one file albums for the HM 801 and the ability to address single tracks is not that important for me (it's more like an old cassette recorder now, regarding the playback functionality ) I will make do with that.
Maybe I will also try this cue sheet thing ...
Abandoning all the unnecessary stuff I have now reduced my HM 801 Menu to:
Update Media File
Navigating the SD Card is easy via artist/album related folder structure.
By the way, I've no problems with inserting and ejecting the card with the player powered on (folder structure is immediately correct).
Booting the player takes only 5 to 10 sec. with full 32 GB card.
And most important it sounds still greatpost #86 of 23310/9/10 at 2:10pmThread Starterpost #87 of 23310/12/10 at 8:14am
The lack of gapless feature just kills my thoughts on buying any of these 2 , since most of my listening is done on albums with gapless feature as a must for the correct listening
oh well i guess we will wait for the 403post #88 of 23310/12/10 at 8:48am
Do you rewind your gapless albums fast/forward? If not, then merge all songs of the album into the single track and enjoy. There are some free converters, though I can not recall names.post #89 of 23310/12/10 at 8:59amQuote:
If you listen to albums which should and have to be played gapless (as I do too) I think tracks are not that important in the first place; and an easy solution to have such albums played gapless on the 801/602 (and perhaps the 403 too ...) is to join the original WAV (WAV joiner or foobar2000) or FLAC (foobar2000) files in a one file copy. Takes about some seconds.
Perhaps this is even better than have software (firmware) or hardware perform gapless playing on the fly ... (no etxra live calculations necessary)
Given the one file album track; to have the alternative to jump to single track positions inside, it would just great to have the possibility to use the cue sheet feature in such a way as to have not an extra menu entry for cue sheets (as it is the case now), but to implement this transparently, so that when you navigate to the folder containing the album via SD Card menu entry and there is a cue sheet file available, the folder list should just display the single racks. That would be great
- Review: HiFiMAN HM-602 vs. HM-801 Comparison (56K Warning)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- HiFiMAN 602No reviews yet.
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
- › The Stax Thread III 15 seconds ago
- › Multi-IEM Review - 311 IEMs compared (HiSoundAudio BA100 added... 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 vs. Shure SE846: Which one is superior in terms... 2 minutes ago
- › Ranking of 21 DACs and DAC Configurations (and why chocolate ice... 3 minutes ago
- › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum vs. PSB M4U1 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K812 Pro 4 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears 500 by echo1284
- › Musical Fidelity MF-100 High Quality On-Ear Headphones by astroid
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by agistrilink
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude