Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Looking for an afordable amp, please help
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for an afordable amp, please help

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 

Hello. I've been doing some research on amps for some time and selected some models. I wish you guys could help me choose from one of them, or give me a better choice, within the U$100(or lower)-U$130 price range. So, the ones I picked up so far are:

 

Bravo Tube Headphone Amplifier V3 EQ Equalizer valve- U$ 90.00

 

JVC VICTOR SU-DH1 Surround Headphone Adapter - U$123.00

 

uAMP107S - BLACK - U$ 135.00

 

cMoyBB v2.02 Headphone Amplifier - U$ 65

 

Portable V1 USB DAC HD AMP | $99.95 - out of stock, 4 weeks lead time!

 

Nuforce Icon Mobile - U$99

 

XM4 Headphone Amplifier - U$ 135

 

Mini^3 - U$ 155

 

I'm still considering which headphones to purchase, but probably something like an AD700s, A700s, DT 990-250 PRO, DT 250-80, DT 880-250 PRO, DT-770 PRO or something like that..

 

I need the system to be versatile, as I intend to play games, listen to music and watch movies using it. Astro's Mixamp is out of my list because the shipping cost for my country is too expensive.

 

Your help is highly appreciated. Thanks.

 

ps: Is there some kind of device which I can connect more than one source (videogame+PC+iPod, for example) at the same time and use some kind of switch like a button or something to choose the audio source, so I don't have to plug/unplug cables so often? How is it called? How expensive is it? Can you recommend something?

 

edit: added more options..


Edited by loganirado - 9/26/10 at 11:55am
post #2 of 28

Hello,,

 

Your headphone options look pretty good, you might want to consider a slightly more expensive amp to properly drive them; maybe up to $250, which will give you more options.

 

The device you are looking for is a switch box. Depending on what connectors you have for your sources and for your output to your amp, the type of switch box you need might be expensive (or cheap for that matter).  One more thing to consider is that more connections and breaks (like switches or amps) between your source and your headphones, may make things sound worse.  It may be worth the trouble just switching the cable between sources.

 

Hope this helps...

 

Cheers!

-HK sends

post #3 of 28

Another option that you can do is use cable splitters and a power bar as a power switch. I don't find that it degrades the sound, but then again one is always off when the other is on.

post #4 of 28
Thread Starter 

Thanks but for now, I won't have enough money to buy a good amp and headphones, so my intention was to buy the headphones first and an average amp for now, and buy a better one later.. and since I live in Brazil, I'll pretty much have to buy my amp from the Internet, and the bigger/heavier/more expensive the amp, higher will be the shipping cost+customs taxes..

 

So, I'm looking for a switch box uh.. I'll Google it later, considering what you said about quality loss.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK_sends View Post

Hello,,

 

Your headphone options look pretty good, you might want to consider a slightly more expensive amp to properly drive them; maybe up to $250, which will give you more options.

 

The device you are looking for is a switch box. Depending on what connectors you have for your sources and for your output to your amp, the type of switch box you need might be expensive (or cheap for that matter).  One more thing to consider is that more connections and breaks (like switches or amps) between your source and your headphones, may make things sound worse.  It may be worth the trouble just switching the cable between sources.

 

Hope this helps...

 

Cheers!

-HK sends


How exactly does it works and what kind of material I should purchase? Is it more expensive than the switch? Would you mind explaining it better?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gav007 View Post

Another option that you can do is use cable splitters and a power bar as a power switch. I don't find that it degrades the sound, but then again one is always off when the other is on.

post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by loganirado View Post

Thanks but for now, I won't have enough money to buy a good amp and headphones, so my intention was to buy the headphones first and an average amp for now, and buy a better one later.. and since I live in Brazil, I'll pretty much have to buy my amp from the Internet, and the bigger/heavier/more expensive the amp, higher will be the shipping cost+customs taxes..

 

So, I'm looking for a switch box uh.. I'll Google it later, considering what you said about quality loss.
 


How exactly does it works and what kind of material I should purchase? Is it more expensive than the switch? Would you mind explaining it better?
 


 


It really depends on the plugs that your sources (RCA, 3.5mm, SPIF, etc) uses, so you may need more than one splitter... just look at typical cables and splitters and see if it works for you.  It can run you more or less than the switchbox depending on how many cables or splitters you need.  When I say you can use a power bar as a switch, I'm saying you each source has it's own power bar so you can choose which one is on and which is off. 

post #6 of 28

oooh that bravo one looks fab

post #7 of 28
Thread Starter 


Thanks for the explanation. I can picture it much better now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gav007 View Post




It really depends on the plugs that your sources (RCA, 3.5mm, SPIF, etc) uses, so you may need more than one splitter... just look at typical cables and splitters and see if it works for you.  It can run you more or less than the switchbox depending on how many cables or splitters you need.  When I say you can use a power bar as a switch, I'm saying you each source has it's own power bar so you can choose which one is on and which is off. 



Hey mark, are you saying that it just looks fab, as in aesthetics, or that it is the best one from my list?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2410 View Post

oooh that bravo one looks fab

 

Guys, check out the first post. I just added another affordable amp option... the cMoy.. Please help me decide!
 


Edited by loganirado - 9/25/10 at 4:47pm
post #8 of 28
Thread Starter 

I'm almost certain I'll purchase the Bravo amp, since I read somewhere else it goes well with Beyer headphones.. am I doing the right thing? Please advice..

post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by loganirado View Post



Hey mark, are you saying that it just looks fab, as in aesthetics, or that it is the best one from my list?
 


 


oh aesthetics, not the faintest clue how it sounds, if my chinese audio products are any indication though they usually punch far about their price though.  no clue if holds true here of course

post #10 of 28

Right now there is an used Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 on the amp for sale forum, I would run to get it at $130 including S&H. Later you can perform the PinkFloyd mods to improve the unit further.

post #11 of 28
Thread Starter 

Is this amp much better than the ones I mentioned in the first thread? Would they be OK for using with beyer Headphones?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrarroyo View Post

Right now there is an used Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 on the amp for sale forum, I would run to get it at $130 including S&H. Later you can perform the PinkFloyd mods to improve the unit further.

post #12 of 28
Thread Starter 

Unfortunately the music fidelity seller doesn't ship it to Brazil, so I'm back to the begginning. Do you have any other options/comments/suggestions?

post #13 of 28

Gary just sent me a PA2V2 and Im very happy with it. If youre going to upgrade anyway spend the $55 on the PA2V2.

post #14 of 28


I have a feeling Gary's amps punch way above their weight. I am very pleased with mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBug View Post

Gary just sent me a PA2V2 and Im very happy with it. If youre going to upgrade anyway spend the $55 on the PA2V2.

post #15 of 28
Thread Starter 

I'm keeping contact with Gary, been asking some questions about this amp and stuff. I really might get one of those, but for you guys who own the PA2V2, do you have any idea how does it compare to Bravo amps, such as Valve Class A?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Looking for an afordable amp, please help