Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › I need a replacement for my Nationite S:Flo 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I need a replacement for my Nationite S:Flo 2

post #1 of 39
Thread Starter 

Hi

I currently have the Nationite S:Flo 2, which I use portably with my Pioneer HDJ-2000.

I am looking for a replacement for this as while the sound quality is decent (and it was good value for money) a few things bother me:

 

No lock function, I have to wait a minimum of 6 seconds for it to lock itself.

The library is arranged by the order files were copied to it, not alphabetically.

The interface is sluggish

Copying files is also slow

 

My needs (in no particular order):

 

MP3+FLAC playback, preferably gapless. WMA would be a bonus, but isn't essential.

A fast, simple UI

Decent equalizer and/or effects/presets

Either over 16GB storage space, or 16GB with an expansion slot

3.5mm Line out

As little hiss as possible

Library that can be viewed either by folder structure, or artist (a-z)->album

8 hours+ battery life

Fast to copy files to (I change my music around often, the larger the capactiy of the PMP, the less this would be an issue)

No bigger than the S:Flo 2

2-3" screen

And of course, sound quality equal to or greater than the S:Flo 2

I'm not a fan of an overly bright sound.

Drag-and-drop for copying files, no extra software in the way.

 

 

The headphones I own and am interested in are around 30 ohms impedance (Ultrasone, Audio-Technica, etc.).

 

I will not be using it as a video player.

 

At the moment my budget is £200 max. (I know how good you lot are at raising people's budgets, but this is all I can consider for now)

 

If the budget allows me to pair it with an amp that fits with it in my pocket easily, then that is also an option.

 

What are your recommendations?

 

 

(Thanks for checking out my thread!)


Edited by P4Z - 9/23/10 at 1:10pm
post #2 of 39

Take a look at the Cowon S9 and J3. I don't own either product so I can't attest to their quality, but I've read many good things about both. They also seem to meet most of your requirements except line-out (and gapless?).

post #3 of 39
Thread Starter 

@hk1388 I had considered these, but they lack line out as you said, I'm not sure about the gapless playback, but the 32GB versions are out of my price range.

post #4 of 39

Maybe an iPod Touch? You would have to convert your flac files to alac though.

post #5 of 39
Thread Starter 

Oh thanks for reminding me, I need to update the list now, I knew I'd forgotten some stuff.

The iPod Touch isn't really centered around audio quality, and is much too big. I'd be paying a lot for the Apple brand and features I don't need (I have an HTC Hero).

I do appreciate the help, but the iPod Touch doesn't fit most of the requirements.


Edited by P4Z - 9/23/10 at 1:43pm
post #6 of 39


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by P4Z View Post

The library is arranged by the order files were copied to it, not alphabetically.

The interface is sluggish


One click of "DriveSort" and artists would be sorted alphabetically takes less than a second, not sure why your interface is sluggish mine isn't ?

post #7 of 39

Did you install the latest firmware for the S:Flo2? This should cure the sluggishness. Check the Mp4nation forum. 

post #8 of 39
Thread Starter 

Thanks.

Where is the drive sort option? (I've found the firmware updating thread on MP4 Nation)

Sometimes it scrolls pretty slowly, slower than when I actually drag my finger slowly, and it is slow to enter/exit menus.

 

Drive sort will help, but I use the directory (which splits it up into the built-in memory and micro SD slot folders) because the library takes long to load.

 

The lock feature is something I find a little frustrating, it sometimes doesn't unlock until the 3rd/4th try.

I'd prefer to choose to lock it instead of waiting because the time I sometimes need to read scrolling text is longer than the minimum 6 second wait, but I can't be waiting 10 seconds every time I want to put it in my pocket.

 

I have gone to style 2, chosen left to right menu animations instead of random, and a smaller font, which have seemed to help a bit.

 

While these things may resolve some issues, I am still looking for an alternative flac player with a higher capacity, smaller screen and quick interface.


Edited by P4Z - 9/23/10 at 3:40pm
post #9 of 39
Thread Starter 

It appears that I cannot update it from 2.0 to 2.2

This may be to do with the fact that I am using Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

I choose the image file on the updater, click switch and then update and get an error with weird symbols that I don't understand:

 

Error.jpg

post #10 of 39

Nationite and Teclast really borked the firmware process. I cannot upgrade either. I have Linux and OSX computer that run Windows XP in VMWare, but the only USB device I have that doesn't properly load in either OS is the Teclast T51. And thanks to the process, anyone without the right flavour of non-virtual Windows can install it. 

 

Cowon does a good job of drag and drop firmware - the Device install it, not the host OS. This system is the worst I've used by far and really borks my enjoyment (and actual use) of the thing as 2.0 is slow, buggy, and as a geek, I want to update to the newest. 

 

Teclast and Nationite - get your act together. Even for Windows users, this is a BIG step backward.

post #11 of 39

Please read this thread carefully. It contains solutions to the library update process, links to installing/troubleshooting the latest firmware, speeding up your device and contains many more hints and tricks to make the S:Flo2 actually halfway useable.  You saw this dedicated firmware-thread as well, right? 

 

Regarding your question for a different player, it's pretty difficult to top the S:Flo2's SQ and not spend more than 200 quid. The only solution that I know of is getting yourself a DIYmod with Rockbox installed. Or spend a little more and get a Hifiman HM-602. That thing will probably do everything you want and more. Check Headfonia.com for some first impressions. 

 

BTW, if you consider selling your S:Flo, I might be interested. 


Edited by Negakinu - 9/24/10 at 12:16am
post #12 of 39

Installing the update of the firmware is a breeze, read the instructions carefully and thoroughly would help a lot.

post #13 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by P4Z View Post

Hi

I currently have the Nationite S:Flo 2, which I use portably with my Pioneer HDJ-2000.

I am looking for a replacement for this as while the sound quality is decent (and it was good value for money) a few things bother me:

 

No lock function, I have to wait a minimum of 6 seconds for it to lock itself.

The library is arranged by the order files were copied to it, not alphabetically.

The interface is sluggish

Copying files is also slow

 

My needs (in no particular order):

 

MP3+FLAC playback, preferably gapless. WMA would be a bonus, but isn't essential.

A fast, simple UI

Decent equalizer and/or effects/presets

Either over 16GB storage space, or 16GB with an expansion slot

3.5mm Line out

As little hiss as possible

Library that can be viewed either by folder structure, or artist (a-z)->album

8 hours+ battery life

Fast to copy files to (I change my music around often, the larger the capactiy of the PMP, the less this would be an issue)

No bigger than the S:Flo 2

2-3" screen

And of course, sound quality equal to or greater than the S:Flo 2

I'm not a fan of an overly bright sound.

Drag-and-drop for copying files, no extra software in the way.

 

 

The headphones I own and am interested in are around 30 ohms impedance (Ultrasone, Audio-Technica, etc.).

 

I will not be using it as a video player.

 

At the moment my budget is £200 max. (I know how good you lot are at raising people's budgets, but this is all I can consider for now)

 

If the budget allows me to pair it with an amp that fits with it in my pocket easily, then that is also an option.

 

What are your recommendations?

 

 

(Thanks for checking out my thread!)

 

 

 

  Sadly no player fits your requirements and budget.
 

post #14 of 39

Well, theoretically it would be possible to buy a secondhand Ipod 4G/5G/6G and do the DIYmod all for less than GBP 200. Combined with Rockbox this would be a 30gb+ player with FLAC support and SQ that's on-par with the S:Flo2. 

post #15 of 39


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by P4Z View Post

Thanks.

Where is the drive sort option? (I've found the firmware updating thread on MP4 Nation)

Sometimes it scrolls pretty slowly, slower than when I actually drag my finger slowly, and it is slow to enter/exit menus.

 

Drive sort will help, but I use the directory (which splits it up into the built-in memory and micro SD slot folders) because the library takes long to load.

 


Everything will be in order browsing by directory and artist will be in order when browsing using the database, your database will only update once after you add or make changes not every time I guess thats one of the bugs of the older firmware

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › I need a replacement for my Nationite S:Flo 2