Well guys, here we go. I have been extremely satisfied with my set up for the past 1.5 years. I've loved my MD2000 like a ridiculously large chocolate bar, taking bite after bit out of it, mmmmm. But the time has come, to experience other sides of this hobby.
Not only has my music taste changed over time, but I've grown very used to the denon sound.
My music taste used to be very heavy into trance, vocal trance, etc. Lately my music has been mostly jazz, trip hop, down tempo, and vocals.
There are a couple requirements I have:
1. Must be able to be driven by AUNE dac amp mk II. Which can drive most headphones on the market.
2. I want to experience a wider sound stage than my denons, especially with jazz, I want to be able to feel like I'm there.
3. I have no roommates, a don't take my rigs outside, therefore I probably want an open headphones, I couldn't give 2 hamburgers about isolation or anything like that.
4. Comfort is a small priority, as I do listen for very very long periods of time.
5. Now that my music tastes are this way, I want mids that are clean, and beautiful, and (VERY IMPORTANT) highs that are NOT fatiguing, I have young sensitive ears, and sibilance is a no go.
Now for some background, the only other headphones I have tried extensively is the AKG K242 HD
I have heard the senn hd280 pro and thought they were all right.
Here are my conclusions and considerations of headphones so far from lurking for a year and reading up on this stuff:
- AKG K701 - picky, large soundstage, neutral bass. The worries I have with getting this headphone is that it may be dull and non engaging.
-Grado Rs2 or Rs1 if I can afford - I have not tried the grado sound, but looking at their frequency response I worry that the highs may be fatiguing. They have great reviews, but I do not listen to rock, and I don't know how well these will be with my music tastes.
-Sennheiser hd600 or hd650 - The hd650 are said to have a more denon like sound sig, being described as dark, the hd600 are considered more neutral, I feel like the hd600's may be good for me but i'm not sure.
Beyerdynamic dt880 600 ohms - I have heard many good things about this headphone too, especially for jazz, not sure what to think about it.
Grado HF-2 - Just came back, I don't know what to think about it, but it certainly is in my price range.
Please note, I am not a basshead, nor am I willing to go with a bass light (according to freq response graphs) can. With regards to bass, I would like remarkably TEXTURED bass.
I hope you enjoy the novel written above ^
HELP ME HEAD-FIERS! I need you now more than ever!
P.S I have around a month before I need to make my decision. And yes I am planning to visit dxc store in LA to demo some headphones.