Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More - Page 112

post #1666 of 1674


The soundcloud link you sent, they al sounded the same. what are you supposed to hear?

post #1667 of 1674

EDIT: double post.


Edited by retskrad - 12/14/14 at 8:40am
post #1668 of 1674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christianh View Post
 


Thanks for the head up! So less impedance the easier it is to drive the cans?

 

 

In a general sense yes, but the figure to look for is the sensitivity rating, which is generally expressed as dB/mW. The higher this number, the less power you need to get loud.

 

Since power delivered is voltage^2/impedance, high impedance headphones need a higher voltage swing but less current to reach high power. Low impedance headphones on the other hand don't need much voltage swing from the amp but do draw a lot more current.

 

Most amps fall somewhere lazily in the middle or lean more towards higher current. A few more specialized amps (mostly OTL tube amps) will run specifically for high impedance cans.

post #1669 of 1674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post
 

 

In a general sense yes, but the figure to look for is the sensitivity rating, which is generally expressed as dB/mW. The higher this number, the less power you need to get loud.

 

Since power delivered is voltage^2/impedance, high impedance headphones need a higher voltage swing but less current to reach high power. Low impedance headphones on the other hand don't need much voltage swing from the amp but do draw a lot more current.

 

Most amps fall somewhere lazily in the middle or lean more towards higher current. A few more specialized amps (mostly OTL tube amps) will run specifically for high impedance cans.


Thanks for the detailed head up! So which can does fit my RME Babyface? I don't use an amp.

post #1670 of 1674

The RME Babyface has an output impedance of 30ohms... so unless you're using an external headphone amp, you're going to want a high impedance headphone and/or one with a relatively flat impedance curve. If going with Beyers, pick either the 250 or 600 ohm versions (I'd lean towards the 250 since the RME might not jave enough voltage swing for the 600 ohm versions).

 

I just noticed you're in Europe. See if you can find a Sennheiser HD25-13. It's a 600 ohm headphone but with relatively high sensitivity, has a good frequency response, and for the most part is very similar to the workhorse hd-25-1 with the exception of higher impedance.

post #1671 of 1674



So, just got my Edition 600Ohm to complete my collection and it has the infamous buzzing. Its not an excursion issue.
Since all Diaphragms are hand-glued by Middle-Aged women in Western Germany this was inevitable. Only apparent on the "Right" System, on the "Left" it hits usual excursion. Maybe the Woman who Hand-Glued my DT990 didn't get lunch. I'll make sure I let them know about their manufacturing issues when I visit the Factory in some months.


Edited by MrTechAgent - 12/20/14 at 7:48am
post #1672 of 1674

What would be an approx. fair price for a pair of DT990 Pro (250 OHM), used for 2 years, in very good condition?

post #1673 of 1674

How much better would the DT 880's vocals sound when compared to the dt 990's? would an extra $60 AuD justify the difference?

post #1674 of 1674
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablobaluba View Post
 

What would be an approx. fair price for a pair of DT990 Pro (250 OHM), used for 2 years, in very good condition?

 

New prices tend to hover around $180-200 new in the US. A used one should fetch at most in the $140 range if in good condition.

 

Premium versions are about $300, and usually go $200 used. A bit lower sometimes depending on the market and condition.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geed23 View Post
 

How much better would the DT 880's vocals sound when compared to the dt 990's? would an extra $60 AuD justify the difference?

 

The DT880 pros and premiums tend to be closer in price and veer towards premium pricing. A used one should float around $200.

 

In my opinion, the DT880 is easily the better choice for vocals and worth the price bump. Though if you were really gunning for vocals and midrange performance, I'd lean more towards the AKG K7xx.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More