Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More - Page 109

post #1621 of 1634

@Zombie_X

 

You should do a comparison to the COP's. 

post #1622 of 1634

i can attest to the DT770 32 ohm's bass. it's not overpowering at all. in fact, i like to think it's perfectly balanced, moreso than most closed cans.

post #1623 of 1634
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnottj View Post

Anyone on here own both a DT880/DT990 and either a T90 or T70?

If so, would you say that, underneath the pad, the metal,headbands were the same? I.e. Are they the same length and width?

I'd like to get a T90/T70 headband pad and put it on my DT880, but I'm not 100% sure it'll fit ...

 

I don't know for 100% sure either but I'm willing to bet they fit. They all appear to use the exact same size ear cups and yokes and the parts where the yokes connect to the cups appears to be identical as well. Personally I do think it would be worth trying because I think your chances of being successful are very high.

 

Don't forget to let us know how it works out! :)


Edited by devhen - 3/6/14 at 5:44pm
post #1624 of 1634

Or just buy a set of tesla drivers and pop them into the DT shells...

post #1625 of 1634
Quote:
Originally Posted by devhen View Post
 

 

I don't know for 100% sure either but I'm willing to bet they fit. They all appear to use the exact same size ear cups and yokes and the parts where the yokes connect to the cups appears to be identical as well. Personally I do think it would be worth trying because I think your chances of being successful are very high.

 

Don't forget to let us know how it works out! :)

 

Someone on the T90 thread also owns both and confirmed that the headband assembly is the same as on the DT770/880/990 series. so i think you are correct and the headband pad will fit.

 

Beyer's UK service centre (Polar Audio) quoted me £18 + £5 p&p for a new headband, which is twice what the pleather version costs ... not sure if it's worth it. Is the T90 pad really nice?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post
 

Or just buy a set of tesla drivers and pop them into the DT shells...

 

Other way around - I've got a DT880 and want to use the T90 velour headband, as I'm not keen on the stock pleather version!

post #1626 of 1634
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneraI View Post
 

@Zombie_X

 

You should do a comparison to the COP's. 

 

Hey,

 

"One" is already in the works ;) In fact lots of new videos have been planned.

 

I've had a sort of relapse and am now back into headphones. For a while, nearly three months, I didn't listen to any. Now I've boguht X1 and L1 and have been pulled back in..

post #1627 of 1634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_X View Post
 

I've had a sort of relapse and am now back into headphones. For a while, nearly three months, I didn't listen to any. Now I've boguht X1 and L1 and have been pulled back in..

Welcome to head-fi, sorry about the... oh you know the drill by now :ph34r:

post #1628 of 1634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_X View Post

 

Hey,

 

"One" is already in the works ;) In fact lots of new videos have been planned.

 

I've had a sort of relapse and am now back into headphones. For a while, nearly three months, I didn't listen to any. Now I've boguht X1 and L1 and have been pulled back in..

 

Welcome back!!!! You can only stay away for so long before they pull you back in... ;)

post #1629 of 1634
Thread Starter 

Thanks all,

 

Thanks to my tinkering with video editing, all my new videos will now look more professional. I figured out how to add title cards, transitions, background music, and picture inlays. Expect all future videos to have much higher production values.

 

Speaking of headphones, I may have an M1 on the way and I have already e-mailed Philips about getting an L2 demo unit. So we'll see. And yeah $320 in two days on headphones is not a good thing.. but it is...

post #1630 of 1634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_X View Post
 

Hi and welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry about your wallet.

 

They aren't weak sounding unamped, but despite their 32Ohm impedance, they still need one because their sensitivity is still low. They will sound good out of an Ipod or Zune, but an amp will help. The Bravo/Indeed amps work good with these phones.

 

Personally I would just give them a chance and listen to them for a few days. If you don't like them after that just return them.

hey zombie_x, this is an amazing write up, I wanted you to reccomend me which one would be better suited for my needs, I mainly listen to bassy music like edm and the likes, but I also enjoy very much classical, but these days I'm mostly listening to pink floyd and led zeppelin, between the dt990 and dt880 it's going to be better suited to my preferences? also which cheap amp would you reccomend for it? right now my favourite headphone is the Bowers & Wilkins p7 which beats my sennheiser momentum because I just feel I can hear everything, more detail, and feel more "room/openess" in my music, also I can hear like layers (don't know if thats the correct terminology) I think of them that they are making me re-discover my music.

Thanks :)

post #1631 of 1634

I feel like my dt990 pro just barely has a larger soundstage than my dt770 pro 80ohm. I have pretty "thin" face and therefore have very, very minor clamping force when i put headhones on. I thought this would play to my advantage, im really dissapointed with the soundstage now. I love my 770 80ohm and i was looking for similar sound signature with a wider soundstage. I was sure 990 pro would deliver, but it didnt. Are you guys sure clamping force on the PRO series is the only thing that reduces the soundstage vs premium model? I dont have a chance to demo premium model anywhere, wondering if i should order one but given that i dont have any clamp on my pro model i shouldnt hear any differences between the models?

 

Used odac+o2 in my testings. Should be sufficient. At the time i purchased 770 80ohm, i had sennheiser hd650. I was really suprised 770 had almost as wide soundstage too, being closed back and all. Maybe i just have some sort of freak 770 80ohm individual. Though i didnt do thorough side by side testing between them, and sold hd650 shortly after 770 purchase. Thats how much i liked those cans. Still do!

 

EDIT: Dont know if my ears are getting used to the sound signature or did the burn in do wonders but im noticing a larger soundstage now. Left them on overnight and they have around 20hours with them now. Soundstage is clearly larger than dt770 but i was still expecting more. Tough call whether to send them back or not. Maybe i ought to give them more time.


Edited by sammy123 - 4/4/14 at 9:22am
post #1632 of 1634

I think the problem is that the DT770 already has a very wide soundstage, especially for a closed headphone, and even in comparison to most open headphones.

 

The difference in soundstage size between the Premium and Pro models are very minimal. Hold out the DT990s so they are pressing down on your head slightly less and you'll have an idea of what (if any) difference in soundstage size there is.

post #1633 of 1634
Quote:
Originally Posted by devhen View Post
 

I think the problem is that the DT770 already has a very wide soundstage, especially for a closed headphone, and even in comparison to most open headphones.

 

The difference in soundstage size between the Premium and Pro models are very minimal. Hold out the DT990s so they are pressing down on your head slightly less and you'll have an idea of what (if any) difference in soundstage size there is.

 

I already get very minimal pressure with these on, so not much headroom left. I briefly tried, but didnt notice any difference. Pressing downwards made soundstage smaller, so i guess im pretty "maxed out" with the soundstage. I wont be trying the premium model as they are 80% more expensive in my country and most likely wont make any difference.

 

edit: I sent them back. Couldnt bear the sibilance and piercing highs. My 770 80ohm's were never that piercing nor had any sibilance.


Edited by sammy123 - 4/7/14 at 1:19pm
post #1634 of 1634

So I posted this in another thread...

 

Quote:

Hey guys, hoping you can help me out with some recommendations. I've been looking for some new headphones for around $200 (willing to go a bit over/under) to be used for long listening sessions at work, meaning I'm looking for some really comfortable over-ears or IEMS. After some research, I settled on the Beyerdynamic DT880s--a great pair of cans, no doubt, but after one day of listening I'm finding them to be a little too cold/analytical-sounding. They sound great with jazz and classical, but the bulk of my listening is composed of dirty rock and metal, chill electronic music, and some hip-hop. 

 

So, can you guys recommend any headphones in the $200 range that are a little more lush/warm-sounding? Maybe with a little more bass? Again, comfort is a very high priority, and I wear glasses so headphones with a lot of clamping force get uncomfortable quickly. Your help is much appreciated! 

 

Do you think that the DT770s would be a better fit for me? Which Ohm version? I don't have an amp but would be willing to pay for one of the cheaper portable ones--although I wonder if the fact that I'm listening to the 250 ohm version with no amp is what's making the DT880s sound kind of shrill...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More