Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More - Page 105

post #1561 of 1634

You could just get some angled pads... tongue.gif

post #1562 of 1634

The T90, T70, and DT1350 have Tesla drivers that aren't angled.

post #1563 of 1634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

You could just get some angled pads... tongue.gif

 

But, but.... what about the headband? :)

post #1564 of 1634
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstwat View Post

 

But, but.... what about the headband? :)


Here you go.

 

Often on sale for <$10 cool.gif

post #1565 of 1634

among dt770 to dt990 models, regardless of imp ratings, which PRO model would you guys recommend to take? used to have dt770 pro 250s, but i lost memory of how it sounded

post #1566 of 1634
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobandroid View Post

among dt770 to dt990 models, regardless of imp ratings, which PRO model would you guys recommend to take? used to have dt770 pro 250s, but i lost memory of how it sounded

 

 

DT770pro 80 if you like a warm, slightly bass heavy sound.

DT770pro 250 for a more balanced sound.

 

DT880pro for a balanced sound with more resolution, detail, soundstage, and overall higher sound quality than DT770's.

DT880 is what I'd take for studio mastering or critical listening, its the most balanced of the range, but still sounds more like a closed than an open headphone.

 

DT990pro for even higher sound quality than DT880, more detail, better imaging, better soundstage and separation, more forward and fuller sounding vocals, punchier bass, but not as neutral. DT990 is THE audiophile model in the line-up IMHO, its the one that's most enjoyable to listen to, and the only one apart from the DT770pro 80 ohm that I'd consider fun to listen to, but with much better sound quality overall. I have both at the moment, there's a considerable drop in every aspect when going from 990 to 770.  990 also sounds like a more expensive headphone than other models. It justifies having the highest model number in the line-up in my opinion, even though some people wont agree because they appreciate completely neutral headphones more, even though DT990 is still deep within the neutral segment. It's got the most amazing timbre and naturalness about its sound. I swear, guitars and pianos sound more real on DT990's than on the T1. Also, its not bass heavy as some people say. Its definitely not a bass-head headphone, it just has the bass a touch above completely neutral, enough to make it more fun and exciting, but not to go over the top and make it lose the texture, control, quality, it doesn't interfere with the rest of the frequency range, etc.

post #1567 of 1634
Thread Starter 

Hey guys,

 

I got my 600Ohm DT990/DT880 drivers in and popped them into the DT990 Pro housing.

 

Well I gotta say the DT880 sounds different in a fully open shell. The sound is smoother and it seems they became more focussed and the soundstage widened up. There is a lot more air in the sound as well. Though they did get slightly brighter. Not bad though. Oh and the bass did tighten up and seemed to have gained some impact, but not much. There was a change but it was not massive. Is it worth the $120 investment on drivers though? I say no but it's up to you.

 

The DT990 is in a similar situation, but better. The bass is tighter and faster with more impact, the treble is smoother and more refined, the soundstage is about the same but has more air, and the mids are more forward. Really it's like the DT990 PRO sound but has all the finesse and refinement of the 600Ohm models. So it's indeed improved. Is it worth it though? Nah I say. Sure it sounds better than the normal 600Ohm DT990 but you have to spend more money to get there.

post #1568 of 1634

I still want to see someone take the plunge on tesla drivers and plopping them into a DT shell. It'd almost be something I'd be willing to try... except I still don't like Beyers enough to do that :rolleyes:

post #1569 of 1634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_X View Post
 

Hey guys,

 

I got my 600Ohm DT990/DT880 drivers in and popped them into the DT990 Pro housing.

 

Well I gotta say the DT880 sounds different in a fully open shell. The sound is smoother and it seems they became more focussed and the soundstage widened up. There is a lot more air in the sound as well. Though they did get slightly brighter. Not bad though. Oh and the bass did tighten up and seemed to have gained some impact, but not much. There was a change but it was not massive. Is it worth the $120 investment on drivers though? I say no but it's up to you.

 

The DT990 is in a similar situation, but better. The bass is tighter and faster with more impact, the treble is smoother and more refined, the soundstage is about the same but has more air, and the mids are more forward. Really it's like the DT990 PRO sound but has all the finesse and refinement of the 600Ohm models. So it's indeed improved. Is it worth it though? Nah I say. Sure it sounds better than the normal 600Ohm DT990 but you have to spend more money to get there.

 

So am I understanding this right, you bought 600 ohm pairs of both 990 and 880 drivers and tried each in the DT990 Pro housing? How much did each pair of drivers cost?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post
 

I still want to see someone take the plunge on tesla drivers and plopping them into a DT shell. It'd almost be something I'd be willing to try... except I still don't like Beyers enough to do that :rolleyes:

 

Its something I would consider. In fact if I ordered some tesla drivers I'd probably ask someone like yourself to do the implanting haha. I'd have to get a hold of an 880 or 990 housing since my current 880s aren't going anywhere, they get tons of use as they are haha. I have a 600 ohm dt770 and I love the drivers in that headphone aside from the sub-bass distortion at high volume. Hmmmm, maybe tesla drivers would do better in that enclosure and my 600 ohm dt770 drivers would do better in an 880 or 990 enclosure (since the sub-bass distortion seems to be related to air flow)... Hmmmm. Now you've really got me thinking. :) Does anyone know how the tesla drivers shake out, as far as if the T70 and T90 are using the same driver etc, and how much the different ones cost?

post #1570 of 1634
I think the tesla drivers are around $200 each. Not quite sure how you go about ordering them though.
post #1571 of 1634
Thread Starter 

Hey guys,

 

The 600Ohm drivers are $60 each. Tesla drivers are around $200 each, but still way too much. I got my drivers second hand for a lower price, around $30 each.

post #1572 of 1634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_X View Post
 

Hey guys,

 

The 600Ohm drivers are $60 each. Tesla drivers are around $200 each, but still way too much. I got my drivers second hand for a lower price, around $30 each.

 

Thanks Zombie_X. So how many different versions of the drivers are there? If you order a set of replacement drivers from Beyer do they send you the same ones regardless of whether you're putting them in a 770, 880, or 990? And what about the Tesla drivers? I'm guessing the T70 and T90 are using the same drivers? What about something like the my DT1350 which also has Tesla drivers, is it using the same ones? I'm guessing its not seeing as it goes for just $250 and the drivers themselves would apparently be worth $400.

post #1573 of 1634

Those in the DT1350 are also significantly smaller. I believe there's a new tesla driver being developed as well.

post #1574 of 1634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post
 

Those in the DT1350 are also significantly smaller. I believe there's a new tesla driver being developed as well.

 

Yep. And the drivers themselves do look smaller though not significantly so.

 

 

post #1575 of 1634
Thread Starter 

Hi,

 

They have 32Ohm, 250Ohm, and 600Ohm drivers for the DT770/DT880/DT990. Yes they still have a surplus of DT770 drivers in stock! 

 

The drivers are of the same mold but all are tuned differently. The essentially use the same housing, magnets, and general construction. The DT880  has a mesh backing to the drivers, the DT990 has no mesh backing, and the DT770 has a plastic ring around the driver along with thick felt over the back of the driver. This is the easiest way to tell them apart just by looking at them.

 

Tesla drivers actually all look the same. The look just like the ones in the promo pictures for the T90. They are from the same mold as well. Speaking of the Tesla drivers, you know how everyone says the T70 is bright and baseless? Well it's missing all the damping that the DT770 has. So by adding the damping back in, you get a smoother and beefier sound. When I had my T70, the difference with added felt is night and day. It's one beyer headphone that needs it.

 

The DT1350 and T50p use similar drivers and have the exact same construction but tuning is different between them.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by devhen View Post
 

 

Thanks Zombie_X. So how many different versions of the drivers are there? If you order a set of replacement drivers from Beyer do they send you the same ones regardless of whether you're putting them in a 770, 880, or 990? And what about the Tesla drivers? I'm guessing the T70 and T90 are using the same drivers? What about something like the my DT1350 which also has Tesla drivers, is it using the same ones? I'm guessing its not seeing as it goes for just $250 and the drivers themselves would apparently be worth $400.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More