Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More - Page 103

post #1531 of 1652

From what I've read of the Alpha Dog (it's hard to keep up with that hype train thread) it is voiced quite differently from the Mad Dog, and impressions from the early testers seems quite positive. Still, at $600 you're easily into diminishing returns territory (I've got an HE-6 though, so who am I to judge). Having played with quite a few T50rp mods and transplants myself, I have a pretty good idea of what the driver can do. I'm curious to hear the AD, but am not sure I'd drop the cash for it blind. 

post #1532 of 1652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

From what I've read of the Alpha Dog (it's hard to keep up with that hype train thread) it is voiced quite differently from the Mad Dog, and impressions from the early testers seems quite positive. Still, at $600 you're easily into diminishing returns territory (I've got an HE-6 though, so who am I to judge). Having played with quite a few T50rp mods and transplants myself, I have a pretty good idea of what the driver can do. I'm curious to hear the AD, but am not sure I'd drop the cash for it blind. 

Dan is pretty generous with his return policy. I got a Mad Dog, with my old set up [which was pretty WARM] it sounded horrible. Over Bearing mids like no one's buisness, I wanted something like my Dt 880, but I don't think any T50RP mod can do that... still the Mad Dog did not get a fair fight with my poor rig. So I'd like to try it and the Mad Dog again some time! 

 

Ultimatley I want a closed version of the Dt 880, I have the k550 being shipped to me... I'm hoping it can have the sound sig I like with some isolation.

 

Another interesting thing...I have a fan that sits about 1 foot from me... I can HEAR it rather LOUDLY when it hits my Closed cans, it makes a weird and annoying sound, where as the totally open DT 990 just drowns it out with music [and my music is played rather quietly] 

post #1533 of 1652

Many closed headphones actually produce a mild boost in ambient noise around 100-200Hz before the real attenuation kicks in at higher ranges. This is due to the cups basically acting like resonant chambers as they pick up vibrations from the environment. Damping inside the cups may help to cut this down somewhat. 


Edited by Armaegis - 8/12/13 at 2:19pm
post #1534 of 1652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

Many closed headphones actually produce a mild boost in ambient noise around 100-200Hz before the real attenuation kicks in at higher ranges. This is due to the cups basically acting like resonant chambers as they pick up vibrations from the environment. Damping inside the cups may help to cut this down somewhat. 

Indeed, I have some dampening in my w1000x but it's still there. 

 

Non the less, I have found another option for my quest for the Closed Back Dt 880, the ATH AD A900x, doesn't get a lot of attention on the forum but I can change that <3

 

The AD A700x compares a little better than the Dt 770 250 ohm which makes the AD A900x a great contender for a dt 880 closed back... I just hope the w1000x isn't TO much better than the AD A900x... If anything I hope the AD A900X is a touch drier than the w1000x,, a drier cleaner sound without the rich lushness of the wood would be optimal. And less bass than the w1000x would be perfectly fine, as honestly the w1000x... has almost to much bass some times, thankfully it's much tighter with the mods and L3000 pads, and the Solid State does a nice job of further tightening it, so something with less bass would be perfect. And I'm hoping the AD A900x will do that, less lush mids, better treble and less Bass, like a Dt 880 but with a SLIGHT mid focus 

 

We shall see soon :D

post #1535 of 1652
Hello there.

Sorry for just bumping in.

I want to ask if anyone have tried the dt 990 with a sound Blaster z? I am all new to this world of sound so haven't got any experience myself.

Hope someone can help :-)
post #1536 of 1652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulle View Post

Hello there.

Sorry for just bumping in.

I want to ask if anyone have tried the dt 990 with a sound Blaster z? I am all new to this world of sound so haven't got any experience myself.

Hope someone can help :-)

Well reviews say it's clean... I don't belive in dedicated sound cards, because I have dedicated USB out Dacs for that <3 [I need a Blue Tooth Adapter and Mic for my pc though] 

 

Still the DT 990 likes a good bit of gain, the extra volts really help flesh out the entire sound signiture, adding more bass control and some nice dynamics! 

post #1537 of 1652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

Well reviews say it's clean... I don't belive in dedicated sound cards, because I have dedicated USB out Dacs for that <3 [I need a Blue Tooth Adapter and Mic for my pc though] 

 

Still the DT 990 likes a good bit of gain, the extra volts really help flesh out the entire sound signiture, adding more bass control and some nice dynamics! 

This gain you are talking about, will the sound blaster z be able to give it that?

 

yeah ive been reading a bit about DACs. The problem is i cant afford much more then what a sound blaster z costs. Plus im from denmark, there arent many DACs to choose from in this little country. atleast i havent been able to find them.

post #1538 of 1652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulle View Post

This gain you are talking about, will the sound blaster z be able to give it that?

 

yeah ive been reading a bit about DACs. The problem is i cant afford much more then what a sound blaster z costs. Plus im from denmark, there arent many DACs to choose from in this little country. atleast i havent been able to find them.

Actually it should, people report that Sound Card being LOUD. I would think that LOUD NESS is from a natively high gain set to the card. Still... best bet as always is to buy from some one who can give u a return. OR try a the For Sale Forum here at head fi, the dt 990 [250 ohms] would make a quick enough sale I'd think. and WORSE comes to worse you can always get an amp. Something cheap like the FiioE11 would work well 

 

but of course if your Sound Card has a line out I'd use that 

post #1539 of 1652

I actually own the Zx sound card and I think it quite good.  It does have a dedicated 600 Ohm amplified headphone out using the Maxim MAX97220A chip.  This card uses a Cirrus Logic DAC and, to my untrained ears, possesses and clean analytical sound that drives my IEMs and CIEMs well.  I have not tried driving a "good" set of high impedance headphones (>300Ohms) with this card but I would be surprised if it didn't do a reasonable job of doing so.  This same card drives my 5.1 surround system (Martin Logan Motion 4's through a Logitech Z5500 controller and powered sub) and sounds nearly as good as my higher end Yamaha Aventage / Mirage 2.1 / 5.1 system. 

 

If you have any doubts, like Mshenay said, buy this card from a store where you can return it if you are unhappy.  You might even purchase it ZxR model as this one has the Burr-Brown DAC and the ability to swap Op-Amps if you don't care for the 80mw TI TPA6120 installed.

 

I've owned several Asus Xonar and M-Audio soundcards in the past, but found prior SoundBlaster cards to be artificial and loud, not musical in any real sense of true fidelity.  That said, I feel that this new Z card matches the before mentioned cards, and in some case, surpasses them.  Good luck with your purchase :)
 

post #1540 of 1652
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeyOne View Post

I actually own the Zx sound card and I think it quite good.  It does have a dedicated 600 Ohm amplified headphone out using the Maxim MAX97220A chip.  This card uses a Cirrus Logic DAC and, to my untrained ears, possesses and clean analytical sound that drives my IEMs and CIEMs well.  I have not tried driving a "good" set of high impedance headphones (>300Ohms) with this card but I would be surprised if it didn't do a reasonable job of doing so.  This same card drives my 5.1 surround system (Martin Logan Motion 4's through a Logitech Z5500 controller and powered sub) and sounds nearly as good as my higher end Yamaha Aventage / Mirage 2.1 / 5.1 system. 

 

If you have any doubts, like Mshenay said, buy this card from a store where you can return it if you are unhappy.  You might even purchase it ZxR model as this one has the Burr-Brown DAC and the ability to swap Op-Amps if you don't care for the 80mw TI TPA6120 installed.

 

I've owned several Asus Xonar and M-Audio soundcards in the past, but found prior SoundBlaster cards to be artificial and loud, not musical in any real sense of true fidelity.  That said, I feel that this new Z card matches the before mentioned cards, and in some case, surpasses them.  Good luck with your purchase :)
 

That's good to hear! 

post #1541 of 1652
Thread Starter 

Hi guys!

 

After not making a video in 9 months, I got a DT990 PRO and gave my impressions of it:

 

post #1542 of 1652
how funny. i reviewer mine today as well. u can search head fi or follow the link to my blog in my sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_X View Post

Hi guys!

After not making a video in 9 months, I got a DT990 PRO and gave my impressions of it:


post #1543 of 1652
Thread Starter 

Hi,

 

I read your read your review and it was good. A+ review. What did you think of my little overview of the DT990 Pro? I do like the DT990 Pro a lot. I should have owned one years back. I have always liked the clamping force of the Pro models as the Premium models are a tad loose. 

 

A tip for anyone with a DT770 Premium: Replace the headband assembly with that of the Pro model. You get a much more "hefty" sounding DT770 with the fidelity of the Premium models and warmth of the Pro model while not getting muddy bass or congestion. Bass impact improves as well. The 250Ohm or 600Ohm Premium models benefit a lot, well all Premium models do.

post #1544 of 1652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_X View Post

Hi,

 

I read your read your review and it was good. A+ review. What did you think of my little overview of the DT990 Pro? I do like the DT990 Pro a lot. I should have owned one years back. I have always liked the clamping force of the Pro models as the Premium models are a tad loose. 

 

A tip for anyone with a DT770 Premium: Replace the headband assembly with that of the Pro model. You get a much more "hefty" sounding DT770 with the fidelity of the Premium models and warmth of the Pro model while not getting muddy bass or congestion. Bass impact improves as well. The 250Ohm or 600Ohm Premium models benefit a lot, well all Premium models do.

I liked it as well, good point on noting the price differeance of the 600ohm and 250 ohm versions negates ownership of the higher ohm'd versions.

 

I was thinking of getting and blanaceing a 600 ohm for home use... but I might stick with a 250 ohm one for that. Seeing as the Akg K550 meet my exceptrions as a "closed" Dt 880 [the Dt 770 was too bassy] I don't think I'll need or want to use the DT 880 in a portable chain any more, while it does sound a little better out of portable sources and amp than the K550, the lack of isolation negates those improvements.

 

But of course at home, the Byer is MOST prefferd! Still any one ever Balance a 250ohm Pro? If I wanted to pair one with an OTL tube would they have enough current to drive teh lower impedanced can, or would I want to stick with the 600 ohm for amps with such huge voltage swings? 

post #1545 of 1652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fegefeuer View Post

Soundstage changes between DT990 Pro 250 and DT990 Premium? Is it worth the 100€ upgrade?

 

I will be solely using them for games and movies and expect both of them (but more the premium) to shine with great soundstage (depth/width), atmospheric sound with very deep going sub bass (the one that can create or support atmosphere well).

the pro version has much smaller soundstage due to shallow cups also the bass is muffling the overall presentation. The premiums when the velour cushions wear out start sounding closer to new pros. To me upgrading is worth it for the sake of crispier sound.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More