Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More - Page 98

post #1456 of 1671
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbigpr View Post

 

 

Thats great, make sure you test cheaper headphones than 990's or 770's as well to hear the differences, because depending on what kind of soundcard your laptop has, you might not hear a great difference. Also, if the store has some kind of hi-fi gear inside, such as receivers, speakers amps, etc....ask the seller to let you hear it from those sources, so that you get a more realistic feel of what these headphones can do, they will both get powered perfectly by any such device.

 

 

Will do my best to test as you mentioned as much as I can, preferably using some other cheaper cans also. It will help highlight the differences very well.

 

I think I can find some powerful gears there as well....

post #1457 of 1671
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstwat View Post

Im going to use my laptop to audition these headphones

Excellent. As you can see everyone has their own opinion on headphones, amping, and definitions of sound quality. So I would not enter the audition expecting to be disappointed, because you need to find your own definition of what is good, not someone else's. If a headphone setup is inferior to your tastes you'll know it. But if you like, you like it. It really can be that simple.
post #1458 of 1671
Quote:
Originally Posted by teofilrocks View Post


Excellent. As you can see everyone has their own opinion on headphones, amping, and definitions of sound quality. So I would not enter the audition expecting to be disappointed, because you need to find your own definition of what is good, not someone else's. If a headphone setup is inferior to your tastes you'll know it. But if you like, you like it. It really can be that simple.

 

Im going to an official dealership of Beyerdynamic and I think it was kind of them to let me use my own pc to test the headphones. On the other hand they somehow expect me to buy one of them after testing!  So if I go there it would be hard to come out without buying any of them :))

 

As I dont have amp , right now, Im thinking more and more about HD558 which is exacty the same price as beyers therefore is a little overpriced considering its not in the same class according to average reviews online and beside its made in china(with the possibility of headband cracks)and beyers are made in germany with very good build quality.

 

Its getting harder as I get closer to buying the damn things!

 

I should note that I cant test sens in beyers store so I should either go there and audition them and then buy one, or not go there and order HD558s...


Edited by firstwat - 4/6/13 at 9:50am
post #1459 of 1671
If you don't like the Beyers after trying them in the store, then you shouldn't feel bad at all about not buying them. But if you're trying to compare the two Beyers with the Senns now, you might be at the point where you just need to buy the 558s, compare them all in-store, and return the Senns if they don't do it for you.
post #1460 of 1671
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstwat View Post


As I dont have amp , right now, Im thinking more and more about HD558 which is exacty the same price as beyers therefore is a little overpriced considering its not in the same class according to average reviews online and beside its made in china(with the possibility of headband cracks)and beyers are made in germany with very good build quality.

 

 

Personally I'd pick the Senn over the Beyers. Easier to drive, and a more even response compared to the 770/990 (the 880 is ok, but I'm not quite a fan either). For a more budget conscious choice, look for a HD555.

post #1461 of 1671
Thread Starter 

Hi,

 

It is forbidden to recommend a Sennheiser in a beyerdynamic thread! Just joking ;)

 

As Armaegis stated, the HD555 is cheaper than the HD558, and they sound the same. You can find the HD555 from $50-$80 normally, while the HD558 is in the $100+ range. 

 

The HD518, HD558, and HD598 all share the typical "smooth and relaxed" Sennheiser house sound and are never fatiguing or intrusive into the music. Music just flows from them in such a fashion that they blend away into the black. The HD598 is slightly brighter and airier than the others and have a big soundstage, but less bass. Some abss is traded for tightness and extension.

 

I have owned the HD515, HD555, HD558, HD595, and HD598. They are use a variation of the same driver, except for the HD515. I like the HD595/HD598 the best, but they still aren't my cup of tea. They seem to lack a sense of presence or engagement. Music, depending on the genre, can sound detached or disjointed.

post #1462 of 1671
Quote:
Originally Posted by teofilrocks View Post

If you don't like the Beyers after trying them in the store, then you shouldn't feel bad at all about not buying them. But if you're trying to compare the two Beyers with the Senns now, you might be at the point where you just need to buy the 558s, compare them all in-store, and return the Senns if they don't do it for you.

 

Unfortunately where I live customer service is rather weak and there isnt much choice so its very unlikely that a seller accept the phones after buying them in case I dont like them, but If I really dont like the beyeres on my laptop despite them expecting me to definitly buy one I will just walk away.... :)

 

      Quote:

Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

 

Personally I'd pick the Senn over the Beyers. Easier to drive, and a more even response compared to the 770/990 (the 880 is ok, but I'm not quite a fan either). For a more budget conscious choice, look for a HD555.

 

Sens are safe choice and I might end up buying them considering the open design, generally good reviews and better impedance but man do I like the beyers! I dont know why but I just like everything about them from good bass, fun sound to design and german build quality :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_X View Post

Hi,

 

It is forbidden to recommend a Sennheiser in a beyerdynamic thread! Just joking ;)

 

As Armaegis stated, the HD555 is cheaper than the HD558, and they sound the same. You can find the HD555 from $50-$80 normally, while the HD558 is in the $100+ range. 

 

The HD518, HD558, and HD598 all share the typical "smooth and relaxed" Sennheiser house sound and are never fatiguing or intrusive into the music. Music just flows from them in such a fashion that they blend away into the black. The HD598 is slightly brighter and airier than the others and have a big soundstage, but less bass. Some abss is traded for tightness and extension.

 

I have owned the HD515, HD555, HD558, HD595, and HD598. They are use a variation of the same driver, except for the HD515. I like the HD595/HD598 the best, but they still aren't my cup of tea. They seem to lack a sense of presence or engagement. Music, depending on the genre, can sound detached or disjointed.

 

Yeah man its just not right to talk about sens here and I myself am ashamed to start in first place :P

 

HD555 is very rare here but I can easily find 558 although with an steep price.

 

You are absolutely right and this completely is in line with other reviews of HD5*8 , HD5*5 series. For me I guess the problem with sens is that they lack the fun sound and as you described a sense of engagement and are more analytical from average opinion on the net but I will buy these if beyers' test straight from laptop sound really unsatisfactory....

 

But I guess DT770-80ohm isnt much harder to drive than HD558-50ohms so I think if I find the DT990-250ohm really underperforming from laptop I will just go with 770s knowing I will get similar perfomance from 558s impedance wise....

 

 

A few more hours and this dilemma will end :))

post #1463 of 1671
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbigpr View Post

As for DT990's and DT770 80's, they're clearly in a different league, there's nothing the 770's do better, and in most areas they're outclassed by the 990's by a pretty large margin. Even the bass, which is the 770's strongest weapon is miles better on the 990's. Just as deep, but more controlled, punchier, quicker, more detailed, etc.  But again, skip them both if you're gonna use them with phones or a laptop, and go for the Custom one pro, its going to sound better than DT770 80 unamped.

 

So the statements that the 990 focuses more on mid-bass punch and lacks the deep extension of the 770 are false? If so, do you know of any closed models that do compare in quality to the 990 at around the same price range? It would haunt me forever if I got the 770 if it has no benefit other than isolation and costs the same or more than the 990.

post #1464 of 1671
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstwat View Post

But I guess DT770-80ohm isnt much harder to drive than HD558-50ohms so I think if I find the DT990-250ohm really underperforming from laptop I will just go with 770s knowing I will get similar perfomance from 558s impedance wise....

 

You can't judge efficiency based on impedance alone. The DT770-80 is harder to drive than the HD558 and even if they were both 80 ohms the 770 would still be harder to drive.

post #1465 of 1671
Quote:
Originally Posted by devhen View Post

 

You can't judge efficiency based on impedance alone. The DT770-80 is harder to drive than the HD558 and even if they were both 80 ohms the 770 would still be harder to drive.

 

I think you are right as the volume of Dt770-80 wasnt as loud as I anticipated it to be...

 

About 2 hours ago I went to the store and finally auditioned both DT770-80ohm and DT990-250ohm version using my laptop. 

 

At first I listened to 770 and I must say I wasnt very happy about the sound(Maybe because of the lack of the Amp or dedicated sound card). Actually I didnt like the sound at all as it was rather generic and lifeless and to be honest not that boomy but then again i guess that was because of no amp.

 

The Isolation considering it being passive was pretty good, It was as if you one suddenly walks into a very silent room which was nice. Not 100% isolation but I think more like 60-70% isolation from the limited time of testing.

 

The volume also as mentioned wasnt that loud and the experience of the movie that I tested (The Hobbit) was nothing to right home about. Music (some queen, u2,...) was rather generic too.

 

--

 

Then I tested the Dt990 and I totally liked the sound signature. The volume was actually higher than 770 which for me was odd considering it to be of higher impedance. The movie watching obviously because of open design was more enjoyable too.

 

I also tested it with my 3rd gen ipad but the sound was rather muddy and not that clear, I much prefer the sound from vaio.

 

over all, without any burn in time and no amp I will give 7/10 for sound quality (compared to my expectation and rather poor performance of 770).

 

--

 

Needles to say I bought the 990 :) without even thinking what i might miss not going with HD558.

 

 

Although because i dont have prior experience, I might not know what Im missing SQ wise but right now Im very eager to buy/try a dedicated amp/dac and see the full potential of these cans....

 

 

Thank you all for bearing with me and helping me with sharing your experiences, much appreciated!


Edited by firstwat - 4/7/13 at 6:47am
post #1466 of 1671

So thanks to you guys, I bought the DT990 Pro, and in contrast to what I said before now I want to buy an amp/dac.

 

I want to spend around 100 dollars and want to get the best thing possible!

 

My options are:

 

  • Fiio E10: both an amp and a dac and I can be done with this upgrade for a while(hopefully)

 

  • Either Schiit Magni or Schiit Modi: they both are 100 and I think all in all are better than the E10 but now I can only afford one of these. I was hoping that Modi can power dt990's to decent volume so that I dont need to add an amp but I may be wrong and buying Magni may be a better purchase....
  • Any other amp or dac below 100 dollars that i dont know of!

 

 

Would you please help me decide what is the best option for me write now. My main concern is to drive dt990's as close to their potential as possible and have more bass within this price range.

 

I should add that unless I become really disappointed with the performance of any of these this hopefully will be my last purchase for a long while.

 

Thank you all in advance.


Edited by firstwat - 4/20/13 at 7:01am
post #1467 of 1671
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstwat View Post

So thanks to you guys, I bought the DT990 Pro, and in contrast to what I said before now I want to buy an amp/dac.

 

I want to spend around 100 dollars and want to get the best thing possible!

 

My options are:

 

  • Fiio E10: both an amp and a dac and I can be done with this upgrade for a while(hopefully)

Did you mean the e17?  What is your source?  I use an e17 with my 990 pro, and it works well, except the ergonomics are tricky due to the constant movement of the coiled cable.  

 

Here's a used e17 on Amazon for $110 shipped.  I can't comment on the others. 

post #1468 of 1671
Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton View Post

Did you mean the e17?  What is your source?  I use an e17 with my 990 pro, and it works well, except the ergonomics are tricky due to the constant movement of the coiled cable.  

 

Here's a used e17 on Amazon for $110 shipped.  I can't comment on the others. 

 

 

Im going to use my laptop as the primary source and also I meant E10 as E17 although better but wher I live will cost a lot so its out of my budget right now.

 

Also I think I didnt do my research well because I it seems impossible to use Schiit Magni and Modi alone and they should be used together, if true then my mistake!

 

I think now my only option is E10. I hope they can drive 990s good enough!


Edited by firstwat - 4/20/13 at 7:34am
post #1469 of 1671
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstwat View Post

Im going to use my laptop as the primary source and also I meant E10 as E17 although better but wher I live will cost a lot so its out of my budget right now.

Also I think I didnt do my research well because I it seems impossible to use Schiit Magni and Modi alone and they should be used together, if true then my mistake!

I think now my only option is E10. I hope they can drive 990s good enough!

Of course you can use the Magni by itself, it's a dedicated headphone amp. But if you feel you need a DAC and amp, yes you need both. The Magni has considerably more power output than the Fiio, but I haven't listened to the E10, so can't comment on their sound.
post #1470 of 1671

There's no rule saying the Magdi and Modi should be used together. They're just fine as separates. If you can only afford one, get the amp first. If you're going for portability though, the e10 is better as it is usb powered. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More