Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More - Page 70

post #1036 of 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_X View Post

Hi,

 

Sure I can do a direct comparison right now if you want. I have all three on hand as we speak. What did you want to know exactly besides the midrange?

 

Between all three headphones, the HD600 has the most midrange while the T70 is right below it and the DT880 is least. The HD600 is quite lush, the T70 is full but somewhat lacking, and the DT880 is nice and sweet but lacks overall body. The DT880 has a very detailed midrange but it is somewhat recessed,  though it's better than the 250Ohm DT880. The T70 has a similar midrange to the DT880 but fuller and more detailed and resolving, but not like the HD600's midrange. It will still sound thin in direct comparison.

 

oh, that is really nice. great, quick reply!

I'm mainly curious about the transition from the midrange to upper mids and treble. a song I would love to have a few notes about is Tool - Lateralus. how the drums compare with the HD600, tightness/quality etc. and the vocals, where he raises his voice, is it very noticable that the volume goes up a lot? or is it still drowned by treble/bass at his highest point, as I found the DT880 to do? I'm very concerned that they might sound as distant as the DT880..

and well, I didn't find the DT880 to be any harsh so I assume I won't find these to be very harsh either? smily_headphones1.gif

also another question - T5p with Velours, tried this? would that have any better/more forward mids than the T70? and just better overall? or which of the closed Beyers would you say might fit what I am asking for best?

 

thanks a lot!

 

edit: oh and by the way is there any popular headphone that you know that compares very well in sound signature?


Edited by munchzilla - 9/8/12 at 8:35pm
post #1037 of 1645
Thread Starter 

Hi,

 

The mids stay intact as the volume goes up, though the treble take more center stage. I guess you could say the headphone gets brighter as the volume goes up. Even though it gets brighter, the mids are still there. The bass is never drowned out and always sounds distinct. The T70 may be harsh at higher volumes and it seems to have a tiny bit more treble than the DT880, but this all comes down to the gear you use.

 

Do not use Velours on the T5p at all! The sounds becomes so bright, you loose the bass and gain so much treble and the sound becomes thin. The mids do seems to come forward a tiny bit but at the cost of the bass and treble being messed with. 

 

The best closed beyer I have heard, with the mids you want, is the T5p. They are lush and forward, not as much as the HD600, but very forward. If you aren't willing to spend that much then maybe the T70 is the better option.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchzilla View Post

oh, that is really nice. great, quick reply!

I'm mainly curious about the transition from the midrange to upper mids and treble. a song I would love to have a few notes about is Tool - Lateralus. how the drums compare with the HD600, tightness/quality etc. and the vocals, where he raises his voice, is it very noticable that the volume goes up a lot? or is it still drowned by treble/bass at his highest point, as I found the DT880 to do? I'm very concerned that they might sound as distant as the DT880..

and well, I didn't find the DT880 to be any harsh so I assume I won't find these to be very harsh either? smily_headphones1.gif

also another question - T5p with Velours, tried this? would that have any better/more forward mids than the T70? and just better overall? or which of the closed Beyers would you say might fit what I am asking for best?

 

thanks a lot!

 

edit: oh and by the way is there any popular headphone that you know that compares very well in sound signature?

post #1038 of 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_X View Post

Hi,

 

The mids stay intact as the volume goes up, though the treble take more center stage. I guess you could say the headphone gets brighter as the volume goes up. Even though it gets brighter, the mids are still there. The bass is never drowned out and always sounds distinct. The T70 may be harsh at higher volumes and it seems to have a tiny bit more treble than the DT880, but this all comes down to the gear you use.

 

Do not use Velours on the T5p at all! The sounds becomes so bright, you loose the bass and gain so much treble and the sound becomes thin. The mids do seems to come forward a tiny bit but at the cost of the bass and treble being messed with. 

 

The best closed beyer I have heard, with the mids you want, is the T5p. They are lush and forward, not as much as the HD600, but very forward. If you aren't willing to spend that much then maybe the T70 is the better option.

 

ah OK, that sounds good - I trust your judgement here! brighter than the 880 hmm, that's pretty interesting. maybe less thin though?

T5p no velours, OK - so no T5p for me unfortunately. I'm only looking for velours/cloth or whatever. tongue.gif

well I guess that settles it, T70 I will have to try.

really hoping the mids won't feel too recessed for me... fingers crossed!

 

feel free to write other thoughts and ask questions though, have to wait a bit until I can get these - so my mind is open!

 

thanks a lot! beyersmile.png

post #1039 of 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchzilla View Post

ah OK, that sounds good - I trust your judgement here! brighter than the 880 hmm, that's pretty interesting. maybe less thin though?

T5p no velours, OK - so no T5p for me unfortunately. I'm only looking for velours/cloth or whatever. tongue.gif

well I guess that settles it, T70 I will have to try.

really hoping the mids won't feel too recessed for me... fingers crossed!

 

feel free to write other thoughts and ask questions though, have to wait a bit until I can get these - so my mind is open!

 

thanks a lot! beyersmile.png

I own the DT880 600-Ohm and T70 250-Ohm, both are good sounding headphones :), and comfortable (to me).

post #1040 of 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchzilla View Post

ah OK, that sounds good - I trust your judgement here! brighter than the 880 hmm, that's pretty interesting. maybe less thin though?

T5p no velours, OK - so no T5p for me unfortunately. I'm only looking for velours/cloth or whatever. tongue.gif

well I guess that settles it, T70 I will have to try.

really hoping the mids won't feel too recessed for me... fingers crossed!

 

feel free to write other thoughts and ask questions though, have to wait a bit until I can get these - so my mind is open!

 

thanks a lot! beyersmile.png

 

Hey munchzilla. I'm actually looking for the same thing-- a closed full size Beyer with non-recessed mids and velour pads (I listen to my full size cans for multiple hours...sweaty ears is something I can't stand). I have the 770/Premium/600 and everything about it is perfect except that the mids are quite recessed. The soundstage on my 770s is rediculously wide for a closed headphone IMO. I'm not sure how much of this stuff comes down to manufacturing variances (my 770 is very much a "bass heavy version", probably similar to the Pro-80 in sound signature). They are actually awesome for some of my music but the mids are a bit too recessed to be an all-arounder. I've been looking at the Beyer DT 660 as well as the new Custom One Pro:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604570/beyerdynamic-custom-ones-new-beyer-headphones

 

They both look quite promising actually, you may want to look into them. In ^that thread @Bloodflowerz says the COP doesn't have recessed mids on the lower bass settings. More info should come through shortly as more people get their hands on these. I'm not yet sure what effect 770 velours would have on the COP but I'm hoping they would work. The 660 is also said to have non-recessed, possibly even forward, mids. There are a couple of posts about the 660 in this thread, a little ways after I asked about them here:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/529140/show-us-your-head-fi-station-at-its-current-state-no-old-pictures-please/8085#post_8663653


Edited by devhen - 9/9/12 at 5:31pm
post #1041 of 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by devhen View Post

 

Hey munchzilla. I'm actually looking for the same thing-- a closed full size Beyer with non-recessed mids and velour pads (I listen to my full size cans for multiple hours...sweaty ears is something I can't stand). I have the 770/Premium/600 and everything about it is perfect except that the mids are quite recessed. The soundstage on my 770s is rediculously wide for a closed headphone IMO. I'm not sure how much of this stuff comes down to manufacturing variances (my 770 is very much a "bass heavy version", probably similar to the Pro-80 in sound signature). They are actually awesome for some of my music but the mids are a bit too recessed to be an all-arounder. I've been looking at the Beyer DT 660 as well as the new Custom One Pro:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604570/beyerdynamic-custom-ones-new-beyer-headphones

 

They both look quite promising actually, you may want to look into them. In ^that thread @Bloodflowerz says the COP doesn't have recessed mids on the lower bass settings. More info should come through shortly as more people get their hands on these. I'm not yet sure what effect 770 velours would have on the COP but I'm hoping they would work. The 660 is also said to have non-recessed, possibly even forward, mids. There are a couple of posts about the 660 in this thread, a little ways after I asked about them here:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/529140/show-us-your-head-fi-station-at-its-current-state-no-old-pictures-please/8085#post_8663653

hi! that's great, you seem to have done quite a bit of research too!

 

DT660 I tried finding reviews of but to no avail. I'm a bit afraid it might be too "low end" for what I'm used to, as I've previously used a lot of headphones considered to be high end. but that is perhaps a bit too judgemental of me... biggrin.gif it was just my general impression from the reviews I've read. please let me know if you find any good comparisons to some nice headphones!

not at all sold on the COP, it just seems gimmicky (though I haven't read anything about the actual sound quality, will do later!).

 

have also tried the DT770 Pro 80Ohm and I am not at all a fan, way too much bass (known as a basshead headphone so no surprise there tongue.gif) - but the DT880 is like the opposite of that, so I'm positive about their other phones. T70 seems very promising so far. T5p might sound better but I really can't do with the pleather/leather pads. too many long nights where I need isolation and no leakage...

 

thanks a lot, please keep me posted on your findings and eventual decision!

post #1042 of 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

I own the DT880 600-Ohm and T70 250-Ohm, both are good sounding headphones :), and comfortable (to me).

 

Hello PurpleAngel

 

Do you care to comment on the performance of the T70 compared with the DT770 you used to own? What is the bass like? Do you miss the DT770 bass? How is the T70 for gaming?

 

Thank you.

post #1043 of 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodflowerz View Post

Do you care to comment on the performance of the T70 compared with the DT770 you used to own? What is the bass like? Do you miss the DT770 bass? How is the T70 for gaming?

 

Have not tried gaming with the T70s, yet, but they are great for movies and music.

I figure I'll sell off my DT770 Pro 80-Ohm and DT770 Pro 250-Ohmas, they are really no longer needed.

The T70s do not have a really heavy bass, more like just the right amount of (quality) bass, for my ears.

Hopefully this is helpful to you.

post #1044 of 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

 

Have not tried gaming with the T70s, yet, but they are great for movies and music.

I figure I'll sell off my DT770 Pro 80-Ohm and DT770 Pro 250-Ohmas, they are really no longer needed.

The T70s do not have a really heavy bass, more like just the right amount of (quality) bass, for my ears.

Hopefully this is helpful to you.

 

Thanks for the quick reply!

 

Are you running them through your STX or another amp?

 

Could you also comment on the differences you hear between the T70 and DT770?

 

Cheers.


Edited by Bloodflowerz - 9/19/12 at 1:35am
post #1045 of 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodflowerz View Post

 

Thanks for the quick reply!

 

Are you running them through your STX or another amp?

Essence STX and Yamaha RX-V671 receiver (for Blu-ray movies and TV).

post #1046 of 1645

Beyerdynamic Velour ear pads.

I just picked up a used DT880 600-Ohm and want to get them some new Velour ears pads

There are silver pads for the DT770, DT880/DT990, black Velour, etc.

A few months back I bought the Silver DT880/DT990 Velour ear pads for my DT880 Pro 250-Ohm.

But which Beyer velour ear pads would be the firmest?

post #1047 of 1645
Thread Starter 

Hi,

 

The DT770 pads are the most firm but they muddy the sound of the DT880. The black DT880/DT990 velour pads are the same as the silver pads, so it's up to you what color you want. You can make them more firm by putting rolled up paper towel around the inner rim, but that alters the sound a bit.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

Beyerdynamic Velour ear pads.

I just picked up a used DT880 600-Ohm and want to get them some new Velour ears pads

There are silver pads for the DT770, DT880/DT990, black Velour, etc.

A few months back I bought the Silver DT880/DT990 Velour ear pads for my DT880 Pro 250-Ohm.

But which Beyer velour ear pads would be the firmest?

post #1048 of 1645

Does anyone actually prefer the DT990 over their other cans? I see more negative reviews than positive on this board.

post #1049 of 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoxy View Post

Does anyone actually prefer the DT990 over their other cans? I see more negative reviews than positive on this board.

I think my DT990 Pro 250-ohm are good cans, their full bass & full treble give a "movie theater" like sound to my Blu-rays.

I can see some not liking the slightly recessed vocals, but the vocals are at least clear.

The full bass & full treble may not be as detailed as some would like.

I really do not use my DT990 anymore, prefer my Beyer DT880 600-Ohm and Beyer T70s

post #1050 of 1645
I prefer the 990 over every headphone I've owned except the D7000 and HE-400. That includes the 770s and 880s.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More