- 305 Posts. Joined 2/2011
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Little Dot MKIV SE buzzing left channel Last post on 7/23/10 at 3:01pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- chosing tube amp? Last post on 8/19/11 at 3:12pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Little Dot mk x series Last post on 4/11/11 at 1:07pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Little Dot MK IV or WooAudio Last post on 4/9/11 at 5:48pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What would a little dot mkIV do to my setup? Last post on 9/21/10 at 12:42am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
First I’d like to thank HiFiMAN for sending me their new HM-700 DAP and RE-400B (balanced version of the RE-400) bundle for me to review. I have always wondered about the balanced players that...
Foreword Chinese/HK headphone manufacturer Astrotec is known for its value-priced products (beginning with their lauded AM90), and they've stuck to their guns by pricing the AX35 (and its near...
When I bought these headphones about 2 months ago, I didn't expect much and I bought them without trying them out. It was an impulse buy to be honest, they were on a considerable discount and I...
I have had these now for a few months. I heard they had a very bass orientated sound but not so much that it ruins everything else. When i first purchased these i was a bit confused as to why they...
I bought a pair of HM5s about 6 months ago. They give you absolutely great sound for under $150 but I ran into a big problem. Both sides where the slider connects to the headphones started to...
- Headphone Impedance
The Little Dot Mk IV / SE Appreciation Thread - Page 10
Gear mentioned in this thread:
The Audio-Technica ATH-AD900 has an impedance of 35 ohm. Little Dot don't specify the output impedance of the MK IV, but typically it's quite high for amps of this design. I understand it's bad if the output impedance is higher than the impedance of the load (headphone) as the amp will struggle to supply the current the load is drawing.
Amps such as the MK IV tend to be paired best with headphones like the HD 6XX, as they have a higher impedance of around 300 ohm.
Having said that, Little Dot's website states the amp will easily drive 32 - 600 ohm headphones.
I hope what I've said here is correct. I'm still getting my head around concepts such as impedance.
Did you make those knobs or purchase them somewhere? If you bought them, where? Thanks.
higher quality jack and RCA sockets + different tubes with golden pins
On paper the two should pair well. The MK IV SE is an OTL tube and the T1 is a high impedance headphone, so specs. wise the two should be a good match. I've also read many comments that the T1 goes well with tubes from a sound signature perspective.
I heard the T1 for the first time recently at the UK head-fi meet driven by a Darkvoice tube amp, the audition was only brief and meets aren't the best place for critical listening, but I was very impressed with the sound. Further details of my impressions can be found in the link in my signature.
the cv4010 are likely from mullard england. since thats the standard naming for European tubes. and yes same tubes from different companies will sound slightly different. even the same tubes from mullard made from vastly different year will be slightly off as well.
and as for the Bass lacking from prior reads. i have found the RCA EF95 series tend to help with that. at the least when i had it with my shure 840's the RCA drivers compared to tung-sol and my Ge amongst other seems to give a little more power to the bass.
O.K. MK IV se owners, I picked up a pair of EF 91 driver tubes, I now realize I need to switch the "jumpers" from the factory setting to the "short circuit" setting in order for the amp to use this type of tube. I assumed that these Jumpers were accessed through the same holes in the bottom of the amp that the gain switches are accessed through. In looking through the holes with a flash light, I'm not seeing anything that looks like a removable jumper. Is that because the factory setting is with the "jumpers removed" and there aren't any jumpers included? Or are the jumpers accessed by opening the amp up and moving the included jumpers from one place to the other on the circuit board?
If anyone could shed some light on this subject I'd appreciate it. thanks
- The Little Dot Mk IV / SE Appreciation Thread
- › DAP-off: Astell&Kern AK240, HiFiMAN HM-901, Sony ZX-1, FiiO X5 28 seconds ago
- › The Centrance HiFi M8 thread 58 seconds ago
- › Schiit we'd like to see 1 minute ago
- › = HIFIMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread (pre-orders up!) = 1 minute ago
- › Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions and Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › THE BEATLES ARE OVERRATED 2 minutes ago
- › Audio Technica ATH-A900X Discussion Thread (Formerly A-900X Review) 3 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic T90 :D 3 minutes ago
- › Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.) 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 4 minutes ago
- › HifiMan Electronics HM-700 DAC with RE-400b Balanced In-Ear... by lin0003
- › Astrotec AX35 by tomscy2000
- › Denon AH-D600 by derbigpr
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by Morph91
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob