Congrats on the purchase. I would use the lower gain in order to have a great range of the dial controlling the listenable volume. The high gain seems more suitable to planar magnetics and high impedance, low efficiency dynamics.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Portable amp for LCD2 Last post on 10/9/14 at 2:58pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Headstage arrow or ibasso toucan Last post on 10/31/10 at 9:15pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Balanced ipod lod for Toucan? Last post on 8/15/11 at 8:16pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Protector vs. Toucan Last post on 9/13/10 at 5:26pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Help me to decide Last post on 9/2/10 at 6:27pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 11/29/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Disclaimer: The Noble Kaiser Encore sample was provided to me by Noble for the purposes of this review. The Noble K10 was my first Multi-BA earphone. While it might not be the as good as the...
For me the Encore shares the same sound signature as its predecessor Noble Kaiser K-10. There are already 31- K-10 reviews on H.F. including mine. Read what is written about the K-10, then think...
Sorry if my english is not so good. I bought this several days ago (200 euro) so I cannot post an opinion about durability. I use this dac/amp just on pc for everyday use: movies, voice,...
Greetings Head-fi, Today we are going to be checking out another HDSS equipped earphone from the team at Blue Ever Blue; the Model 1001. Based out of Washington, D.C., Blue Ever Blue (BeB) exploded...
Disclaimer I would like to give a special thanks to Pandora for having these sent out to me. I am not affiliated with Brainwavz in any way and this product was given in exchange for my honest...
NECO SOUNDLABS PORTABLE V.2 AMP - Page 6post #76 of 39012/31/11 at 8:29am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #77 of 39012/31/11 at 8:22pmpost #78 of 3901/16/12 at 10:00am
I got a pair of opa627bp used. probably they are already burned in.
It was easy to replace the opamps, just needed a torx screwdriver.
Overally more neutral then ad8610, a bit less punchy but i don't feel it as laid-back.
Lows: lower and more defined
Midrange: less and more detailed.
Highs: very neutral to the ad8610 and a bit less.
I find it a bit bright with my yuin pk1. It will be tested with hifiman re262 in about a week.
Edited by angevoi - 1/16/12 at 10:01ampost #79 of 3901/28/12 at 2:30pm
Just thought i'd also throw my horse into the mix.
I've had my V3 (with all the mods) for about 4 weeks now and I can also concur that its a beautiful thing indeed.
It has given me many hours of pleasure during the night whilst alone in my bed.
I would certainly recommend it to a friend. If I had one.
Edited by Thing Fish - 1/28/12 at 8:56pmpost #80 of 3902/9/12 at 7:56am
The V3 seems to be an impressive purchase, may be its time to ditch my Fiio E11. Would be really helpful if any V3 user can post an image with an ipod classic beside it...just wondering about its "portability"post #81 of 3902/9/12 at 8:37amQuote:
I will post one for you tomorrow.post #82 of 3902/9/12 at 10:12am
Here's one of the V2 (Same size) beside an iPod Classic.Quote:post #83 of 3902/9/12 at 12:03pmpost #84 of 3902/11/12 at 7:27ampost #85 of 3902/11/12 at 8:23am
The height is of course dictated by the 2 x 9v rechargeable batteries. Which can be replaced if needed after a few years.
I like the chunky feel but if I suppose its not for everyone.post #86 of 3905/7/12 at 12:58pmpost #87 of 3905/7/12 at 1:23pm
I have the V3 (and the Objective2).. I'm writing the review of it as well as a head-to-head (V3 vs the O2 & Arrow 3G). Stay tuned.. teaser? The V3 is DAMN good.post #88 of 3905/7/12 at 1:52pm
Heh, heh. I know what FlySweep is going to write...
imackler, I've expressed my opinion to you privately, but for the benefit of others...
Let me start by saying that I like the O2 very much. I think its a great amp, very neutral, plenty of power, decent build quality, good price. But in comparison to Neco's amps:
Problems with the O2
1. Sound quality lags behind the Neco, which is just phenomenal in terms of sound quality. My old Neco portable (the pre-cursor to the current 18V v3 amp) is what led me to sell my Burson HA-160D. I'm not kidding. In particular, bass on the Neco is superior to the O2. (Not that I generally found bass on the O2 lacking, but it is definitely noticeable compared to the Neco.)
2. Battery life is pretty poor in practice, which I think is partially related to the next item.
3. No automatic switch to turn off recharging when battery is full.
4. Not exactly small.
5. PSU is OK, but because the O2 can't be charged over USB, it's still an annoyance when traveling.
6. Build quality is good, but not up to Neco's bomb-proof standards.
The new V3 Neco gives me all of the following advantages:
1. Great, great sound. In particular, you need to hear a Neco pair up with a pair of HiFiMAN HE-500s. It's like they were made for eachother. The Neco is phenomenal with other cans, too, but it's mind-blowing with the HE-500s.
2. Smaller size than the O2
3. Available bass boost if desired
4. Much, much longer battery life (with lithium ion battery option)
5. USB recharging (if desired)
6. Automatic recharging stop when battery is full (with lithium ion battery option)
7. Neco build quality
The O2 is a great amp, but the Neco just offers a ton in terms of sound quality, features and build quality. For anyone who is curious, Neco only sells his amps on eBay under his seller name "Neco Soundlab" or "Neco_soundlab", I forget which. He is a true undiscovered genius. Everyone I've recommended his amps to has subsequently written to me and raves about them. I have one of his BOSFET amps as well, which I use with my HiFiMAN HE-6s, among others.
Adampost #89 of 3905/7/12 at 2:18pmQuote:
Thanks for posting your comparison for everyone! You're the one who got me thinking about this amp! I look forward to FlySweep's comparison as well.
I saw one of the advantages you have listed is that the O2 keeps charging; is that dangerous? There is a v.2 in the for sale that looks pretty tempting.
I know that one of the goals was that the O2 would work well with sensitive iems too. Does the Neco amp do the same thing?post #90 of 3905/7/12 at 2:23pm
The Neco that I had worked with anything I threw at it.
Unless I'm mistaken, both the O2 and the v.2 Neco amp will keep charging the batteries until you unplug the charger. I don't think it is necessarily dangerous, but it will reduce the battery life over time. I suspect that is one of the reasons for the poor battery life in the O2. Either you are conservative and wind up unplugging the amp before the batteries are fully charged, or you forget you have it plugged in and wind up overcharging.
- NECO SOUNDLABS PORTABLE V.2 AMP
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 3 seconds ago
- › Entry-level USB DAC for Laptop Setup? (HiFimeDIY 9018 vs SMSL... 14 seconds ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 45 seconds ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 1 minute ago
- › Introducing the new Continental V5 portable tube amp 1 minute ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 3 minutes ago
- › Megatron electrostatic with boutique parts, extra tubes 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 4 minutes ago
- › Havi b3 pro 1 thread 2.0 5 minutes ago
- › Recommendations on desktop headphone/amp setup for 80% low fi... 5 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio Encore Universal flagship in-ear monitor by WCDchee
- › Noble Audio Kaiser Encore by Saraguie
- › Hifiman EF2A Usb Headphone Amplifier by td2004
- › Blue Ever Blue Model 1001 by B9Scrambler
- › Brainwavz B150 by dnun8086
- › SONY digital audio player Walkman NW-WM1Z N (Gold) by Whitigir
- › iFi Micro iDAC2 USB DAC/HP Amp by Sil3nce
- › HRT - MicroStreamer - High Performance External USB Soundcard and... by Sil3nce
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by Sil3nce
- › Chord MoJo by Sil3nce
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear