Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › NECO SOUNDLABS PORTABLE V.2 AMP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NECO SOUNDLABS PORTABLE V.2 AMP - Page 21

post #301 of 347
Help!!

How do activate bass boost/gain? I do not know how to put jumpers in or out.

A guide for a noob would be greatly appreciated. smily_headphones1.gif
post #302 of 347

One page ago is the manual page posted as a photograph.

Everything is explained there regarding jumper positions.

post #303 of 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity650 View Post

One page ago is the manual page posted as a photograph.
Everything is explained there regarding jumper positions.

I know..I also own the manual, but I just don't know how to make the jumper in/out. Do I use pliers and yank those red and black things out? If so...both?
post #304 of 347

Yes.. gently pull them with a pair of needle nose pliers.  The jumpers are in pairs b/c each jumper is for a (left & right) channel.  I can't remember if the red jumpers are for the bass boost or the black jumpers are for gain.. but you can insert/pull them "on the fly" (while the amp is powered on & being used), so you'll figure out which one is gain and which is bass boost very quickly.

post #305 of 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post

Yes.. gently pull them with a pair of needle nose pliers.  The jumpers are in pairs b/c each jumper is for a (left & right) channel.  I can't remember if the red jumpers are for the bass boost or the black jumpers are for gain.. but you can insert/pull them "on the fly" (while the amp is powered on & being used), so you'll figure out which one is gain and which is bass boost very quickly.

Thanks for the guide. I finally did it and got the results that I should get.

I read on the instructions that the red is for bass and the black is for gain.

Do you guys use high gain or low gain? Or do you interchangeable often?
post #306 of 347

I almost never used the high gain.. and I had the gain on my V4 lowered to 1.5x/4.5x (so it would suit IEMs better).. in low gain, it drove the HE-500 with serious authority.  I don't think I cracked 12 o clock on the pot... and it wasn't just 'loud'.. there was excellent dynamics, control, and all that on the low gain setting.  I didn't fiddle with the bass boost either.. left it off for the most part (but it's extremely enjoyable when enabled.. as I've said before, it's one of the most elegant bass boost circuits I've heard in an amp).

post #307 of 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post

I almost never used the high gain.. and I had the gain on my V4 lowered to 1.5x/4.5x (so it would suit IEMs better).. in low gain, it drove the HE-500 with serious authority.  I don't think I cracked 12 o clock on the pot... and it wasn't just 'loud'.. there was excellent dynamics, control, and all that on the low gain setting.  I didn't fiddle with the bass boost either.. left it off for the most part (but it's extremely enjoyable when enabled.. as I've said before, it's one of the most elegant bass boost circuits I've heard in an amp).

I couldn't agree more. I love the subtle bass boost, and I find low gain to be much more controlled than that of high gain.

I must admit, this is a great amp. Does me well:)
post #308 of 347
Originally Posted by SkyBleu View Post

I find low gain to be much more controlled than that of high gain.

 

I found that to change/improve with use (on the high gain), actually.. and not the first amp I've experienced such a phenomenon on.

post #309 of 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post

I found that to change/improve with use (on the high gain), actually.. and not the first amp I've experienced such a phenomenon on.
wait...so the high gain kinda has a burn in time too?
post #310 of 347
Originally Posted by SkyBleu View Post

wait...so the high gain kinda has a burn in time too?

 

That's been my experience with the V4.. and other amps I've owned.  Not anything drastic.. but a noticeable smoothing effect after some time of use (again, to my ears).

post #311 of 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post

That's been my experience with the V4.. and other amps I've owned.  Not anything drastic.. but a noticeable smoothing effect after some time of use (again, to my ears).

That's good to note. I'll give it a try once I get used to the amp more.
post #312 of 347

I'm interested to know how the v4 compares to the Portaphile 627.

post #313 of 347

Sorry Mython, I have no experience with the Portaphile 627, only the NECO V4. And I am quite happy teaming my HD650s and older 420s with that amp. In reading reviews on the Portaphile I see that the writer quoted $550. I paid MUCH less than that for the V4 and Neco is fun and helpful. Hope you can get your comparison to Portaphile.  cheers,  alejandro

post #314 of 347

Definitely interested in this.  Love the idea of being able to take this with me to the cottage, and having stellar sound.  Does anyone here have any experience with the different op-amps?  Reading descriptions, it seems like the ADA4627 might be the sound I am looking for as I am willing to sacrifice a bit of resolution for a richer sound - especially in the all-important midrange.

post #315 of 347

Hi Alejandro,

 

I don't know if you bought your Nano already - but You could also consider 2 other options:

 

1) the Astell Kern AK100 - to my mind a great little DAP with 32 GB storage onboard and 2 Slots for SDCX cards. officially each has 32 GB - but many (me too) use 64 GB cards. This way You could store a lot of lossless Jazz -Files. The downside is the pricing of corse- but I would assume that with the "next big thing out"- the AK40 (with a ridiculous price)  there will surely be some guys here selling it for maybe 400 USD.

2) Also a look at the Fiio X3 - it can also play 24/192 files and costs around $199 - in the beginning it had a somewhat slow and not completely "finished" User Interface. Buit its flaws should have been mended by now.

 

Both would surely give You a lot of listening fun.

 

Cheers

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › NECO SOUNDLABS PORTABLE V.2 AMP