Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Which headphones should I get?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which headphones should I get?

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 

In a couple of weeks or so I'll be buying a new pair of headphones, and I've been looking through a mass of sites for which ones I should get. As of right now, I'm pretty much set on the Senn HD418 or possibly one of the others from the 4*8 series.

Question is, rather obviously, which ones should I get? My price range is around $100-200 (though I'd prefer to stay under $100), but it's not like I'm a professional within music or anything (probably not even a "true" audiophile); I'll mostly be using the headphones for, well, listening to music, gaming, and semi-professional school work in Final Cut Studio/Logic Pro/possibly other sound-oriented programmes. For the listening to music part, I listen to just about everything from Hardcore House and Rave to Heavy Metal to film/game soundtracks to Ambient to Classical music, and I do enjoy heavy bass a lot. Source is usually my iPod, one of my MacBook Pros, an old TV, or my ten years old Panasonic stereo system that I can never remember the model of.

I'd like to get suggestions for other headphones as well.


Edited by Remis - 9/16/10 at 3:23pm

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #2 of 6

I would recommend you try some Sennheiser HD600 or HD555 (On sale for $75)

post #3 of 6

I don't have a lot of experience with the headphones you mentioned. Hopefully, someone else will give you an answer on how they sound.

The headphones I recommend often for those with varied musical tastes is a used Sennheiser HD-600. They usually turn up around $200 or so. You might not be a serious audiophile, but you'll really enjoy a pair of these. The HD-600 does well with a variety of music and are something of a classic around here. You should be able to find many reviews with more details of how they sound if you're interested.

One drawback is that the HD-600 needs amplification. The cheapest way to do this is with an old or vintage receiver with a headphone jack. You should be able to turn up a cheap receiver at a thrift store or Craigslist.

post #4 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abovetheair View Post

I would recommend you try some Sennheiser HD600 or HD555 (On sale for $75)

 


Hmm okay. I'll be sure to look into those.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Erik View Post

I don't have a lot of experience with the headphones you mentioned. Hopefully, someone else will give you an answer on how they sound.

The headphones I recommend often for those with varied musical tastes is a used Sennheiser HD-600. They usually turn up around $200 or so. You might not be a serious audiophile, but you'll really enjoy a pair of these. The HD-600 does well with a variety of music and are something of a classic around here. You should be able to find many reviews with more details of how they sound if you're interested.

One drawback is that the HD-600 needs amplification. The cheapest way to do this is with an old or vintage receiver with a headphone jack. You should be able to turn up a cheap receiver at a thrift store or Craigslist.


Thank you! I'll search for some reviews of the HD-600, as well as research the amplification. Before I found this website, I had no idea some headphones even needed that, haha. (Like I mentioned, I'm completely new on just about everything audio.)

post #5 of 6

You could also take a look at the Audio Technica M50 if you like a lot of bass. they are pretty good headphones for $100 and should suit your needs since they can run off an ipod just fine without needing any external amplification. 

post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid1712 View Post

You could also take a look at the Audio Technica M50 if you like a lot of bass. they are pretty good headphones for $100 and should suit your needs since they can run off an ipod just fine without needing any external amplification. 

 


Tried my friend's pair of M20s today (on my iPod, no amps). Were certainly very good, and much better than my rather old and busted AKG K81DJs. I assume the M50s are even better though, so I'll definitely look into these!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Which headphones should I get?