Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Audio-GD NFB-2 & NFB-3 Delivery & Impression Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio-GD NFB-2 & NFB-3 Delivery & Impression Thread - Page 102

post #1516 of 1572

Now that I have jriver which has a working asio implementation I would never go back to wasapi.

post #1517 of 1572

I've had this DAC (3.1) for a few weeks now and was wondering if anyone shared in my opinions:

 

I would say that this DAC is very revealing.  It is prominently displaying hisses, cracks, and static in tracks that I have never heard before despite listening to said tracks hundreds of times..  I am not sure if I want a more revealing dac than this because modern recordings are so terrible.

 

It also seems to me that this DAC is very slightly mid-forward.  I only say this because vocals seem to be a little more up-front out of my denon 2000s than they usually are.  At the same time, there is no extra emphasis in treble or bass, though the bass seems to have more impact than out of my last dac (fiio e7)

 

This DAC also has the perfect amount of warmth.  It seems to be that the entire sound signature is just slightly warm, but the warmth does not take anything away in terms or clarity or detail.  I have always shied from "warm" gear because I hate the toll it takes on detail, but the 3.1 seems to have found the sweet spot for warmth, at least to my ears.  Any more warmth and it would be too "fuzzy," any less warmth and it would be "sterile."  I love the middle ground that audio-gd has found.

 

 

Any further opinions on the 3.1 would be appreciated, I would like to hear what you have all noticed

 

 

 

post #1518 of 1572

i am looking to upgrade from the audinst dac.

 

so far i have narrowed it down to:

audio-gd nfb 3.1

schiit bifrost

grant fidelity tubedac-11

 

all are in the same price range

 

my headphone amp is matrix m-stage and i will be using the audio-gd DI for a coax interface

 

im leaning towards the schiit bifrost but the feedback on the nfb 3.1 is making me reconsider.  which would you guys get?

 


Edited by aural bliss - 4/16/12 at 9:40am
post #1519 of 1572


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scannon18 View Post

I've had this DAC (3.1) for a few weeks now and was wondering if anyone shared in my opinions:

 

I would say that this DAC is very revealing.  It is prominently displaying hisses, cracks, and static in tracks that I have never heard before despite listening to said tracks hundreds of times..  I am not sure if I want a more revealing dac than this because modern recordings are so terrible.

 

It also seems to me that this DAC is very slightly mid-forward.  I only say this because vocals seem to be a little more up-front out of my denon 2000s than they usually are.  At the same time, there is no extra emphasis in treble or bass, though the bass seems to have more impact than out of my last dac (fiio e7)

 

This DAC also has the perfect amount of warmth.  It seems to be that the entire sound signature is just slightly warm, but the warmth does not take anything away in terms or clarity or detail.  I have always shied from "warm" gear because I hate the toll it takes on detail, but the 3.1 seems to have found the sweet spot for warmth, at least to my ears.  Any more warmth and it would be too "fuzzy," any less warmth and it would be "sterile."  I love the middle ground that audio-gd has found.

 

 

Any further opinions on the 3.1 would be appreciated, I would like to hear what you have all noticed

 

 

 



Had a NFB-2 (NFB-17.2 coming for balanced operation) . I agree that NFB-2 depending on filters is a little on the warm side , a bit less with others filters though . Audio GD DACs are a great bang for buck ^^ .



Quote:
Originally Posted by aural bliss View Post

i am looking to upgrade from the audinst dac.

 

so far i have narrowed it down to:

audio-gd nfb 3.1

schiit bifrost

grant fidelity tubedac-11

 

all are in the same price range

 

my headphone amp is matrix m-stage and i will be using the audio-gd DI for a coax interface

 

im leaning towards the schiit bifrost but the feedback on the nfb 3.1 is making me reconsider.  which would you guys get?

 



Audio GD NFB-3.1 / Schiit bifrost both are great , can't be sorry in your choice just try to see what is more suited to your taste , for the grand fidelity tubedac-11 i don't know ^^ , i had NFB-2 + M-stage and it was a nice combo before upgrading to C2.1 .

post #1520 of 1572
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaVoC-28 View Post

Audio GD NFB-3.1 / Schiit bifrost both are great , can't be sorry in your choice just try to see what is more suited to your taste , for the grand fidelity tubedac-11 i don't know ^^ , i had NFB-2 + M-stage and it was a nice combo before upgrading to C2.1 .



What is the sound signature of the NFB-3.1.  I have read feedback/reviews on the NFB-2 series.  Is the 3.1 sound practically the same as 2?

post #1521 of 1572
Quote:
Originally Posted by aural bliss View Post



What is the sound signature of the NFB-3.1.  I have read feedback/reviews on the NFB-2 series.  Is the 3.1 sound practically the same as 2?



Part wise the NFB2.1 should be better than NFB3.1 but in reality the different is so minimal you are better off spend that $150 elsewhere.

post #1522 of 1572
Quote:
Originally Posted by aural bliss View Post



What is the sound signature of the NFB-3.1.  I have read feedback/reviews on the NFB-2 series.  Is the 3.1 sound practically the same as 2?


It is difficult finding someone who has purchased both and compared them.  I think a few people have mentioned that the differences are almost unnoticeable, it seemed like going through the thread there were a few 2.1 owners disappointed in the degree of similarity between the two models.


I would buy the 3.1 and a Digital Interface for the price of the 2.1. . .  that way I could have two nice black boxes instead of only one

 

post #1523 of 1572

i have a 2.0 with the DIR9001 chipset in  it so it wont play 24/192 but as i dont have any hi res recordings, it suits me fine.

 

there was a bit of talk on another board that the DIR9001 is the pick for people who do not have large hi res libraries, which is why i got mine setup the way i did. they went as fr to say that it just sounds better and smoother.

 

as you can get both chips when you order for an extra 20.00 usd, you can try both chipsets and make up your own mind.

 

all in all, i am very happy with my nfb2, it is IMHO great bang for buck as far as DAC's go and with the exception of bad recordings, sounds very good to my ears.

 

I do have some recordings that do not sound 100% via the dac but they are probably poorly recorded and the way my main rig is setup, its not at all forgiving with such recordings which shows the flaws, warts and all. However that is by design as its what i wanted ( transparent and uncoloured ) .

 

Some of these poorly recorded tracks have a slight sizzle in the highs for example.......... Mind you great recordings sound just that, great.

 

they are engineered well, look good and sound great with out breaking the bank, what else could you ask for?

 

 

 

 


Edited by sjay - 4/17/12 at 8:44am
post #1524 of 1572

Does anyone know if the new Tenor chip used in the new 2.2 is an upgradable option for NFB2 ??


Edited by nick77 - 5/2/12 at 5:02pm
post #1525 of 1572
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick77 View Post

Does anyone know if the new Tenor chip used in the new 2.2 is an upgradable option for NFB2 ??

 

yes it is , check it : 

 

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/TE8802/TE8802kitEN.htm

 

(need some soldering as i understand) .

post #1526 of 1572
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakisan View Post

I was about to order an NFB-2.1 and a friend offered to lend an NFB-3 (96) for audition.

It worked fine connected to CD via coax and also fine connected to my laptop via usb cable.

However, no matter what, it does not work via M2Tech HiFace (Not the EVO).

I use Foobar +wasapi . Wasapi sees the driver as it offers M2Tech as option.

Anyone faced anything analogous ?

 

Not the hiface but I couldn't get the audio-gd DI to work with my Stax DAC Talent, could be the voltage is too high?


Edited by graben - 5/4/12 at 4:48am
post #1527 of 1572
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaVoC-28 View Post

 

yes it is , check it : 

 

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/TE8802/TE8802kitEN.htm

 

(need some soldering as i understand) .

Thanks for the link!

 

Does anyone know if the Tenor chip upgrade does away with the DIR9001?

Will the USB Tenor chip connection exceed that of the DIR9001 coax connection?

 

Im pretty happy with the DIR9001 but if the Tenor takes the NFB2 to another level then I am on board. beerchug.gif

post #1528 of 1572
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick77 View Post

Thanks for the link!

 

Does anyone know if the Tenor chip upgrade does away with the DIR9001?

Will the USB Tenor chip connection exceed that of the DIR9001 coax connection?

 

Im pretty happy with the DIR9001 but if the Tenor takes the NFB2 to another level then I am on board. beerchug.gif

 

Honestly it's about the same ...with my setup at least (peraphs my motherboard s/pdif output is well made or i am not sensitive enough who know ...) ,   i could have ordered NFB-17 and not NFB-17.2 but the great thing with TE8802 is that don't have any lag as TE7702 did in my setup (not very awefull just a little lag maybe 0.5s when seeking on a track or when play / pause . But in some occasions i use a netbook without spdif out soo a usb glitch free is the little plus . Also very important asio support in TE8802 if i am waiting for a skype call or something , i turn asio on , if i don't want to be bothered , wasapi biggrin.gif

post #1529 of 1572

Do these NDB 3.1 / 3.2 DACS seriously get a BSOD when changing mp3 quality?!

 

Or was that a joke?

 

If they are that buggy then it is not worth bothering tbh.

 

Also how is the bass on these? and is the treble smooth?

 

I swapped my Dacmagic for an arcam rdac.... I much prefer the smoother treble of the rdac but I miss the bass of the dacmagic... Maybe the Audio gd 3.2 will be the bes tof both worlds?


Edited by nicholars - 5/17/12 at 1:59pm
post #1530 of 1572

The NDB 3.1/3.2 seem to be a good choice for my budget, but what's the difference between those two? Is the 3.2 the extra money worth? And if i decide to order one of them, should i change the WM8805 with the DIR9001?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Audio-GD NFB-2 & NFB-3 Delivery & Impression Thread