New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ety mc5s or klispch s4?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

although i can tell the quality difference between cheap 20 dollar iems and expensive ones i can't really say i know how to differentiate the highs mids and what not. i'm new to this forum so sometimes i get confused with all these comments about the quality. but ill learn soon. neway i was wondering if you guys could help me figure out which pairs would be ebtter becasue i beleive they are the same in price. i listen mostly to pop, hip hop and ballads. i plan on using them to jog. im looking for something reliable. what do you guys recommend?

post #2 of 11
Thread Starter 

?

post #3 of 11

Another person here with the same exact question. MC5 vs. S4 ? In the past I have owned and enjoyed:

 

ADDIEM's (could use some more bass though)

Soundmagic PL-30

IM-590

Soundmagic PL-21 (miss some sparkle,but yeah they're 20 bucks)

 

I also had the Meelec M6's but they were way too harsh for my ears, and could never really get a decent seal.

I listen to everything from hip-hop to modern classical,indie, jazz, old gospel etc. etc.

 

How is the fit of the MC5's for someone with very small ears, and to they have more bass than the ADDIEM's?

Thanks.

post #4 of 11

you guys are comparing very different phones, the S4 (I have heard/owned) have extremely powerful bass presence, but the bass is uncontrolled and bloated, if the MC5's have the typical etymotic sound sig (I heard they have a bit more bass than the usual etys but not close enough to satisfy anyone with bass head tendancies)  but they are probably more detailed and much more neutral than the klipsch, you could think of them as polar opposites

 

James

post #5 of 11

The Ety MC-5 was designed to be the most accurate earphone on the market under $100 USD.  It has extended range with a very flat and extended quality at both end of the spectrum. With 35 to 42 dB of noise isolation through 5 ear tip options it is one of the quietest and most comfortable units on the market, add to that replaceable filters and a 2 year warranty is is quite a bargain.  Add to that an upgrade option to add a custom ear mold for a $100 USD is also a great longer term ownership deal. While I cannot offer you any real benefits to the ownership of the Klipsch model I can point out many tangible benefits to the Ety mc-5

post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowings View Post

you guys are comparing very different phones, the S4 (I have heard/owned) have extremely powerful bass presence, but the bass is uncontrolled and bloated, if the MC5's have the typical etymotic sound sig (I heard they have a bit more bass than the usual etys but not close enough to satisfy anyone with bass head tendancies)  but they are probably more detailed and much more neutral than the klipsch, you could think of them as polar opposites

 

James


x2

 

The Klipsch S4 is a very warm phone (full, rich bass and mids, slightly recessed/rolled off highs, bass and mids obscure detail) and the Etymotic MC5 is a bright phone (tight bass, decent mids, and full/sharp highs, detailed and more neutral). What sound signature are you looking for?

post #7 of 11

Can someone compare the bass of ADDIEM with the MC5? How is the MC5 for fitting very small ears?

post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mglak51jk View Post

Can someone compare the bass of ADDIEM with the MC5? How is the MC5 for fitting very small ears?


the MC5's should be fine for people with small ears, the better question is, will the stock eartips fit? and can you live with etymotics tri flange eartips? to me, the tri flanges on my ER4P's were like ear rape....I might be sounding a bit harsh, but IMO, those were the most uncomfortable eartips I have ever used

 

 

James

post #9 of 11

My ear canals are not that big and the smaller, grey tri-flange tips that comes stock with the MC5 fit great.  I wet them just a tiny bit, and that helps them slide in deep into my ear canal to get a full seal, which insures proper SQ -- otherwise it sounds super-thin and little isolation.

post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowings View Post




the MC5's should be fine for people with small ears, the better question is, will the stock eartips fit? and can you live with etymotics tri flange eartips? to me, the tri flanges on my ER4P's were like ear rape....I might be sounding a bit harsh, but IMO, those were the most uncomfortable eartips I have ever used

 

 

James


There are a lot of excellent alternative tips for etys made by other manufacturers (list), the Sensorcom single flange is very comfortable. 

 

 

 

post #11 of 11

Leaning towards the MC5, and more or less assume from reading that I'll most likely have to replace the tips. Do comply's fit these, and if so do they squash some of the clarity as they have a tendency to do with some other iem's. In the meantime I'll check out those sensorcoms.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: