If it's not against any law can someone at least tell me the reason why, out of all sudden, there are 2 guys sitting in the garage making a headphone that currently is the FOTM
Related Forum Threads
- Grado PS-1000 with leather Audeze Headband Last post on 9/8/11 at 6:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- Travel Case for Audez'e LCD-2 Last post on 9/7/15 at 6:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- How long does it take Audeze to ship Headphones from the time they receive payment? Last post on 4/20/11 at 2:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What's the deal with Audez'e? Last post on 1/10/11 at 1:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AUDEZ'E versus WHARFEDALE ISODYNAMICS? Last post on 9/15/11 at 6:14am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Background It’s safe to say that Massdrop has played a decent role in both introducing new products to the headphone community while highlighting others through their group-purchase...
Introduction – The original d900 from Syllable made quite a splash when it first arrived on the market. It was one of the very first fully wireless earphones ever produced. Furthermore, it was...
The Fiio E12A Mont Blanc portable headphone amplifier is a great amp for IEM's and earbuds. The sound signature is slightly on the warm side, and presents a much fuller sound and wider...
**Disclaimer: I received the M3 from FiiO in return for my honest review** I have been watching FiiO's product line-up for quite some time. I've played with the X1 DAP owned by a friend and...
At the time this review was written the iBasso D14 Bushmaster DAC/Amplifier was for sale on Penon Audio’s website. Here is a link to iBasso’s product page display, and also a listing on Penon...
Anyone knows about those 2 great guys who making us the incredible LCD-2?post #1 of 319/16/10 at 11:47amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 319/16/10 at 11:53ampost #3 of 319/16/10 at 1:10pmpost #4 of 319/16/10 at 1:17pmpost #5 of 319/16/10 at 3:51pmThread Starter
I was wondering about those guys' profession... They must be in the music industry or something for years right? Or is it possible that they were some farmers that accidentally, while were digging the soil, found kinda a drawing from their ancestors that describe LCD-2 design, no? Then they just went home, started making headphones out of wood and then the next thing we know is there is an LCD-2 on top of our head?
Edited by SillyHoney - 9/16/10 at 3:52pmpost #6 of 319/17/10 at 12:59pmQuote:
Almost. They were digging and found a mysterious pair of headphones in a crashed UFO. After a bit of reverse engineering we have the LCD2.post #7 of 319/17/10 at 2:09pm
The story as I understand it ........... ( and Alex / Sankar / Kabeer ..... anyone correct me if I have got my wires crossed )
There exists an "ortho-underground" who's mission it has been to make or stimulate the production of modern orthos. After much searching a a few very promising leads, our resident ortho ninja, aka Kabeer, discovered through the power of google, a small company making ultra high end planar monitors. A dialogue was established ...... after some time, a "commitment" to producing a headphone was made and quite a bit later, the LCD-1 surfaced. It was a shock to all when the HE-5 appeared on the market at the same time. Fang had been quietly listening to the call and went ahead and produced a quite remarkable product independently. The LCD-1 was really a proof of concept and test of market readiness - personally I think it was an overwhelming success considering the limited resources for making headphones and the ability to produce the sound that the LCD-1 generated from an off the shelf housing. For those lucky enough to have tested the waters, they were treated with a superb headphone that did most things well except for the deep resonant bass. Audez'e by this time knew that they had a great product and went on to refine the driver assembly and manufacture a housing that did not compromise the quality of the driver ( as the LCD-1 did ) .
They may be an obscure company but both are hard working individuals, understand the music world and although I have never had an opportunity to hear their $20K monitors, am told that they are world class.
just remember that Apple started in someone's garage too
..dBpost #8 of 319/17/10 at 3:32pmQuote:Bored audio nerds maybe?
That might hit the spot, I'm bored got the money but to lazy. but instead on headphone I'm more interested to make a laptop on my PS3post #9 of 319/17/10 at 5:37pm
Because ortho is technically more advanced than dynamic?
check the end of this PDF, it's all explained why a rolled voice coil will never provide a flat FR: http://www.majormusic.com.au/pdf/fostex/fostex_rp_headphones_brochure.pdf
Most headphones companies sell a pimped +80yo technology for stellar prices...why bother w/ R&D? who wants to kill the golden goose?
Edited by leeperry - 9/17/10 at 5:41pmpost #10 of 319/17/10 at 5:43pmpost #11 of 319/17/10 at 9:35pm
Support the ortho underground! boycott outdated driver technologies!!! Purchase a Fostex and see the light.
This reminds me so much of the 1991 Le manns 24 hour race. Mazda has been loyal to the German invented wankel engine...developed a 4 rotor monster and obliterated every single traditional piston engined vehicle - by a massive margin - they won it that year at their first attempt........the FIA then banned wankel engines.
Mazda still produces this motor...but when only one manufacturer is producing this engine for one model how can its benefit be realised. When every other manufacturing sticks to the piston design haw can one lone model uphold a design philosophy that proved so dominant on its debut Le mans race...the multibillion dollar conglomerates were scared....if they were allowed to keep racing and making fools of the Porsche or whatever traditional manufacturers that should win - the big boys would lose millions, forced to jump on the wankel design - which theu know nothing about and spend more millions designing and forfeiting technical excellence to a small Mazda....it was easier to ban.
When I was a little redneck teenager I was glad they banned those Japanese rice burners (as they were called in Australia)...they were crap, unreliable etc etc (yeah sure..it was a 24 hour race). As an experienced adult that no longer suffers insecurity about his manhood...I think back and realise few people are "neutral" and fair. Mazda had every right to race its German invention, no rules were broken, banning them for winning was seriously a whimp out by TPTB.
This has a slight relevance to why ortho is being hindered. No one wants to incur extra R&D in expenses and retooling. Want more treble or air than the LCD2s already provide....no worries, the HE6 (I will buy this) is there to take care of that niche.
From my experiences so far, purchasing the LCD2s and now two Fostexens....Magnetic Planar is clearly superior to conventional dynamics.
Edited by SP Wild - 9/17/10 at 11:22pmpost #12 of 319/17/10 at 10:49pmpost #13 of 319/17/10 at 11:22pmpost #14 of 319/18/10 at 1:49am
The first affordable neutral headphone ever in existence.
post #15 of 319/18/10 at 2:00amQuote:
Well, while it is true that orthos can get really flat, it's too bad we don't really need that. The high frequency range will always be totally messed up in headphones, regardless the design. You always bet and wish the hills and valleys harmonize with your HRTF (and pinnae & ear canal resonances). If not, you trash this hp and proceed with another, and so ad nauseam.
Having said that, I wish they would one day start selling perfectly flat headphones with a comprehensible manual on how to tune them to PERCEIVED flat with use of a sophisticated software equalizer (included).
Edited by Ashirgo - 9/18/10 at 2:04am
- Anyone knows about those 2 great guys who making us the incredible LCD-2?
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Double Helix Cables Thread 44 seconds ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 1 minute ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 1 minute ago
- › Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit 1 minute ago
- › Zorloo ZuperDAC Review by mark2410 4 minutes ago
- › Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions 6 minutes ago
- › Before and after pics - CURSE YOU HEAD FI! 6 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 7 minutes ago
- › The decline of fist fights 9 minutes ago
- › AKG K7XX by Aornic
- › SYLLABLE D900S Mini Wireless Bluetooth Earphone Waterproof... by ryanjsoo
- › FiiO E12A Mont Blanc Portable Headphone Amplifier for IEM Special... by Tayyab Pirzada
- › FiiO M3 - Digital Portable Music Player by Levistras
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by Hisoundfi
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by David Thomson
- › Audio-Technica ATH-A900LTD by Heepaholic
- › Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones by Jeremypsp
- › Fidue A91 Sirius by twister6
- › LZ-A2S by peter123
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...