If it's not against any law can someone at least tell me the reason why, out of all sudden, there are 2 guys sitting in the garage making a headphone that currently is the FOTM
Related Forum Threads
- Grado PS-1000 with leather Audeze Headband Last post on 9/8/11 at 6:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- Travel Case for Audez'e LCD-2 Last post on 8/12/14 at 10:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- How long does it take Audeze to ship Headphones from the time they receive payment? Last post on 4/20/11 at 2:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What's the deal with Audez'e? Last post on 1/10/11 at 1:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AUDEZ'E versus WHARFEDALE ISODYNAMICS? Last post on 9/15/11 at 6:14am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Anyone knows about those 2 great guys who making us the incredible LCD-2?post #1 of 319/16/10 at 11:47amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 319/16/10 at 11:53ampost #3 of 319/16/10 at 1:10pmpost #4 of 319/16/10 at 1:17pmpost #5 of 319/16/10 at 3:51pmThread Starter
I was wondering about those guys' profession... They must be in the music industry or something for years right? Or is it possible that they were some farmers that accidentally, while were digging the soil, found kinda a drawing from their ancestors that describe LCD-2 design, no? Then they just went home, started making headphones out of wood and then the next thing we know is there is an LCD-2 on top of our head?
Edited by SillyHoney - 9/16/10 at 3:52pmpost #6 of 319/17/10 at 12:59pmQuote:
Almost. They were digging and found a mysterious pair of headphones in a crashed UFO. After a bit of reverse engineering we have the LCD2.post #7 of 319/17/10 at 2:09pm
The story as I understand it ........... ( and Alex / Sankar / Kabeer ..... anyone correct me if I have got my wires crossed )
There exists an "ortho-underground" who's mission it has been to make or stimulate the production of modern orthos. After much searching a a few very promising leads, our resident ortho ninja, aka Kabeer, discovered through the power of google, a small company making ultra high end planar monitors. A dialogue was established ...... after some time, a "commitment" to producing a headphone was made and quite a bit later, the LCD-1 surfaced. It was a shock to all when the HE-5 appeared on the market at the same time. Fang had been quietly listening to the call and went ahead and produced a quite remarkable product independently. The LCD-1 was really a proof of concept and test of market readiness - personally I think it was an overwhelming success considering the limited resources for making headphones and the ability to produce the sound that the LCD-1 generated from an off the shelf housing. For those lucky enough to have tested the waters, they were treated with a superb headphone that did most things well except for the deep resonant bass. Audez'e by this time knew that they had a great product and went on to refine the driver assembly and manufacture a housing that did not compromise the quality of the driver ( as the LCD-1 did ) .
They may be an obscure company but both are hard working individuals, understand the music world and although I have never had an opportunity to hear their $20K monitors, am told that they are world class.
just remember that Apple started in someone's garage too
..dBpost #8 of 319/17/10 at 3:32pmQuote:Bored audio nerds maybe?
That might hit the spot, I'm bored got the money but to lazy. but instead on headphone I'm more interested to make a laptop on my PS3post #9 of 319/17/10 at 5:37pm
Because ortho is technically more advanced than dynamic?
check the end of this PDF, it's all explained why a rolled voice coil will never provide a flat FR: http://www.majormusic.com.au/pdf/fostex/fostex_rp_headphones_brochure.pdf
Most headphones companies sell a pimped +80yo technology for stellar prices...why bother w/ R&D? who wants to kill the golden goose?
Edited by leeperry - 9/17/10 at 5:41pmpost #10 of 319/17/10 at 5:43pmpost #11 of 319/17/10 at 9:35pm
Support the ortho underground! boycott outdated driver technologies!!! Purchase a Fostex and see the light.
This reminds me so much of the 1991 Le manns 24 hour race. Mazda has been loyal to the German invented wankel engine...developed a 4 rotor monster and obliterated every single traditional piston engined vehicle - by a massive margin - they won it that year at their first attempt........the FIA then banned wankel engines.
Mazda still produces this motor...but when only one manufacturer is producing this engine for one model how can its benefit be realised. When every other manufacturing sticks to the piston design haw can one lone model uphold a design philosophy that proved so dominant on its debut Le mans race...the multibillion dollar conglomerates were scared....if they were allowed to keep racing and making fools of the Porsche or whatever traditional manufacturers that should win - the big boys would lose millions, forced to jump on the wankel design - which theu know nothing about and spend more millions designing and forfeiting technical excellence to a small Mazda....it was easier to ban.
When I was a little redneck teenager I was glad they banned those Japanese rice burners (as they were called in Australia)...they were crap, unreliable etc etc (yeah sure..it was a 24 hour race). As an experienced adult that no longer suffers insecurity about his manhood...I think back and realise few people are "neutral" and fair. Mazda had every right to race its German invention, no rules were broken, banning them for winning was seriously a whimp out by TPTB.
This has a slight relevance to why ortho is being hindered. No one wants to incur extra R&D in expenses and retooling. Want more treble or air than the LCD2s already provide....no worries, the HE6 (I will buy this) is there to take care of that niche.
From my experiences so far, purchasing the LCD2s and now two Fostexens....Magnetic Planar is clearly superior to conventional dynamics.
Edited by SP Wild - 9/17/10 at 11:22pmpost #12 of 319/17/10 at 10:49pmpost #13 of 319/17/10 at 11:22pmpost #14 of 319/18/10 at 1:49am
The first affordable neutral headphone ever in existence.
post #15 of 319/18/10 at 2:00amQuote:
Well, while it is true that orthos can get really flat, it's too bad we don't really need that. The high frequency range will always be totally messed up in headphones, regardless the design. You always bet and wish the hills and valleys harmonize with your HRTF (and pinnae & ear canal resonances). If not, you trash this hp and proceed with another, and so ad nauseam.
Having said that, I wish they would one day start selling perfectly flat headphones with a comprehensible manual on how to tune them to PERCEIVED flat with use of a sophisticated software equalizer (included).
Edited by Ashirgo - 9/18/10 at 2:04am
- Anyone knows about those 2 great guys who making us the incredible LCD-2?
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 18 seconds ago
- › Which earbuds should I buy? 31 seconds ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 1 minute ago
- › EarSonics Velvet universal custom in ear monitor with three sound... 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › New Audeze "Prototype-Z"! 4 minutes ago
- › JH Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › FS/FT Beyerdynamic t5p 4 minutes ago
- › Ps audio direct stream dsd DAC 4 minutes ago
- › AKG K812 Pro 5 minutes ago
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1 Wireless Headphones by mpm2433
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by cleg
- › Shure SE215 by Dinerenblanc
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by Dinerenblanc
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Terja
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)