or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [review/comparison] Shure SRH 840, Audio Technica ATH-M50, M-Audio Studiophile Q40, Pioneer HDJ-2000
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[review/comparison] Shure SRH 840, Audio Technica ATH-M50, M-Audio Studiophile Q40, Pioneer HDJ-2000 - Page 2

post #16 of 124
Thread Starter 

Updated a bit, changed my view on the HDJ-2000 regarding amping. It does benefit more than I previously thought.

post #17 of 124

Outstanding impressions Armaegis! The HDJ-2000's are definitely very intriguing. Do you have any idea how these compare to any Ultrasones? I was considering getting my first pair of Ultrasones, but I'm afraid the sound sig may be way too colored for me (still trying to figure out the differences between the various Ultrasones). But now that I've started reading up on the Pioneers - I'm starting to forget all about Ultrasones. The Pioneers sound like my cup of tea as I like a somewhat neutral (but fun) sound sig. 

post #18 of 124
Thread Starter 

My experience with the Ultrasone Pro series is that you increase the bass and general V shape as you move up. I've heard the 550/650/750, and one of the HFi models but I can't recall which at the moment. The S-Logic is a bit odd, sometimes it works well, othertimes not so much. In general I find their mids a bit recessed and overall sound a bit cool, though typically a good rumble in the bass with good extension.

 

For overall listening, I would easily choose the Pioneer over the Ultrasones. Not even counting sound quality, the HDJ-2000 has better fit, isolation, comfort, and arguably build quality. They're tied for soundstage, with the Ultrasones sometimes better or sometimes worse depending on how your ear works with S-Logic on any particular day.

post #19 of 124
What kind of music were you using when listening(if you can remember)?
post #20 of 124
Thread Starter 

A mix of things... I have a bunch of selected tracks that I typically cycle through when comparing headphones to make sure I get a fairly good representation across the spectrum. Some classical, various electronic, female vocal, metal, various incarnations of jazz, acoustic, early big band and R&B, indie, percussion/drums, etc.

post #21 of 124

Sounds like a great all-rounder. Personally, I've got a gut feeling these are the 'phones for me. The only thing I'm a little worried about is the weight of the phone. I consider the M50's a little heavy for portable use (but definitely do-able) and have been using my HD-25's this whole time.

 

Anyway, I'm glad I haven't pulled the trigger on any Ultrasones yet. I'm definitely not a fan of recessed mids. Maybe at some point out of curiosity I'll get the HFI-580's just to see what all the hype is about. But in the meantime, the Pioneers seem like the way to go for me, when it comes to a nice natural, balanced, fun sound. Thanks again for taking the time in comparing these phones.

post #22 of 124
Thread Starter 

I would recommend trying to audition an Ultrasone first before dismissing it. The mids are a bit spacey, but that presentation is odd in a way that a lot of people like, which is really difficult to explain.

 

I do admit the HDJ-2000 is pricey for what you get, but this whole audiophilia is a race of diminishing returns anyways. I don't find them too heavy since the weight is distributed nicely around my head.

post #23 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

I would recommend trying to audition an Ultrasone first before dismissing it. The mids are a bit spacey, but that presentation is odd in a way that a lot of people like, which is really difficult to explain.

 

I do admit the HDJ-2000 is pricey for what you get, but this whole audiophilia is a race of diminishing returns anyways. I don't find them too heavy since the weight is distributed nicely around my head.


Knowing my curiosity I'm sure I'll come across Ultrasones at some point :) I'm thinking maybe the Pro 750's or HFI 580's. We'll see. 

 

As for the HDJ-2000, I have this feeling it's what I'm looking for. I like a balanced, refined, detailed sound so long that it's not boring. I want to be immersed and surrounded by the music, yet have it be realistic and intimate. The fact that it's comfortable, durable, and isolates is a HUGE plus. Definitely what I'm looking for. Not to mention, they look pretty sweet.

 

When you say they're pricey for what you get, do you mean they're not worth the asking price? If so, how much do you think they should be worth? And would you say they're a vast improvement over the m50's? I'm definitely not ready to pay full price right now so I'll be scavenger hunting ebay and the FS thread (already posted a Trade for my Denon AH D1100's plus cash so hopefully that'll work out).

 

post #24 of 124
Thread Starter 

You might luck out on ebay. I don't think I've ever seen the HDJ-2000 here at headfi. Heck, I'm one of the very few people here who even has one as DJ cans in general don't get much love here (with the exception of the M50 and HD25).

 

When I said "expensive for what you get", I mean that it's sitting at the high point of my diminishing returns mentality (these were over $350 Cnd). I don't think I could ever justify spending $1k on a single headphone, even if it were better than all my others. $200 is about my normal budget, so these were definitely a splurge/impulse item. I like them, but I would never say they're twice as good as my other cans.

post #25 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

You might luck out on ebay. I don't think I've ever seen the HDJ-2000 here at headfi. Heck, I'm one of the very few people here who even has one as DJ cans in general don't get much love here (with the exception of the M50 and HD25).

 

When I said "expensive for what you get", I mean that it's sitting at the high point of my diminishing returns mentality (these were over $350 Cnd). I don't think I could ever justify spending $1k on a single headphone, even if it were better than all my others. $200 is about my normal budget, so these were definitely a splurge/impulse item. I like them, but I would never say they're twice as good as my other cans.


I hear you, I can't imagine spending a grand on a pair of headphones. At this point I have a lot of headphones and want to start winding down. I'll probably keep most of the ones I have but now I'm just really after finding that one close to perfect headphone and stopping at that for a while. 

 

How would you say these headphones are for rock and how do you find vocals on them btw? I'm trying to find some more in depth impressions on these but as you said, they're not as popular on headfi. 

 

post #26 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

You might luck out on ebay.

 

I'd be wary of ebay sales myself, since there are evidently HDJ-2000 knock-offs in circulation...as this auction would attest. The seller states:


Quote:
I'm selling a pair of non-OEM (replica) Pioneer headphones that are brand new.

 

"Replica." Ha! This is the first time I've seen that term applied to counterfeit headphones -- It sounds almost dignified. tongue.gif

post #27 of 124

lmao yes I saw that! Too funny, yeah I know to steer clear. I'm also avoiding any international auctions. Thanks for looking out though. beerchug.gif

 

I may just end up paying full price for them from an authorized dealer. 

post #28 of 124

Do the M50s really fare that bad against the 840s, Q40s and HDJ-2000?

post #29 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by roma101 View Post

lmao yes I saw that! Too funny, yeah I know to steer clear. I'm also avoiding any international auctions. Thanks for looking out though. beerchug.gif

 

I may just end up paying full price for them from an authorized dealer. 


No problem! I'd hate to see another head-fier get fleeced...especially when it comes to something as vital as this. biggrin.gif

 

The cheapest I've seen the HDJ-2000s going for from an authorized dealer is $250 from Beach Camera / BuyDig (and a few bucks more from B&H and Amazon)...As you may have pieced together, I've developed an interest in the HDJ-2000s as well...dt880smile.png

post #30 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

A mix of things... I have a bunch of selected tracks that I typically cycle through when comparing headphones to make sure I get a fairly good representation across the spectrum. Some classical, various electronic, female vocal, metal, various incarnations of jazz, acoustic, early big band and R&B, indie, percussion/drums, etc.


Just what I was hoping to see. A few questions, revolving around the Pioneers:

Are they even OK for metal?(fast-paced?)
If you were to boost the bass, would it overpower everything else?(I know this might require some testing, but it's something I have to look out for when looking for headphones, as I have to boost the bass for it to even be audible to my ears, unless I want my music volume at 90%, which I don't)
What amp did you use when testing?
Source?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [review/comparison] Shure SRH 840, Audio Technica ATH-M50, M-Audio Studiophile Q40, Pioneer HDJ-2000