reshelling means a company will crack open you earphone. Grab the three different armatures inside. Then put them in a shell that is custom made for your ears. Is the best thing to do in you situation and roughly 145 USD. A huge win. However you will need to send in some ear impressions (no big deal).
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for guidance on recabling effort for Shure E500 Last post on 7/27/12 at 10:24am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Rewire My Shure E500s Last post on 6/11/12 at 4:36pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Shure SCL4 woes and what to buy next. Am I right to be paranoid? Last post on 9/5/10 at 4:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Shure E500 replacement (E530) Last post on 8/21/10 at 9:42am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Push To Listen Microphone? Last post on 3/27/11 at 11:34pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
Beats, the biggest headphone brand in the world, selling more headphones than any other by a large margin and with a huge 60% market share in it's domestic market in the USA, has largely been the...
Though these are by no means perfect headphones, their price and excellent bass make them one of the best headphones you can buy for under $200. These headphones are very fun to listen to. They...
Since this is a IEM review I'll keep it short , I have no respect for IEMs ...I wish I could use headphones in the bed but since I cannot I have to resort to IEMs , not a IEM guy I picked...
I'm not much of a audiophile nor a reviewer just a regular audio enthusiast.. Apologies & correct me if I'm wrong.. Absolutely "StUnNeD" by these gems thought of sharing my...
Right have the pleasure of owning these for about 4 months. My Kit: Source: Foobar through Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Amp: Lehman Audio Blackcube Linear Headphones: Audio Technica ATH W...
- Hi End Cables
Shure wants $145 to fix my E500 cables--Do it? Or move on? - Page 3
I'd send to BTG for recabling or get a credit towards new. Reshelling will change the sound as the wax filter Shure uses will be gone and it has a sonic effect. The tips are gone and that changes things and the bore will change and it's also a sonic difference. the way they combine the bore will be different or not there. The woofers are vented and the cavity they vent to will almost definitely change. It's not like a resheller can't compensate but it's not as easy as some make it sound.
Edited by goodvibes - 2/21/13 at 7:18am
I reshelled my Shure SE530 with UM and added 3 drivers to get 6-driver customs. Costs 450$ and sound great. But you can reshell without adding drivers and you will get much better comfort for 169$ plus price of impressions.
As the thread starter i thought id just post that i went with sending in 145 plus tax and
getting a brand new SE535. Im happy with this decision so far. Sounds the same as my SE500
and the price was right.
Only concern is that getting the tips off is a nightmare. They come out of the box with the Factory installed black foam - i finally got it off, and put it right back back on. That's the one i'm using. If they came off easily and safely (my last pair tube snapped off) id be more inclined to try out the different types.
But best to leave well enough alone.
Speecher, can i ask how you were able to get this done? I had cable problems with my SE530's and contacted Shure customer service and was told there was nothign they could do! No repairs, no replacement, no upgrade to SE535. Even if i paid!
First of all, i need to edit my last post. It wasnt 145 but $240 due to infation etc..
But to answer your question, i just called. Told them i wanted to repair a e500 and that was that...
Try calling the Shure service:
5800 West Touhy Avenue Niles IL 60714-4608
Phone: 847-600-2000 Fax: 847-600-1212
They told me that i had to send it back for repair, and once they saw it was oudated, they would recommened a replacement. The 530 is also outdated, so i would think they would do the same for you. It seems to be their policy.
Good Luck and let me know if you had success!
- Shure wants $145 to fix my E500 cables--Do it? Or move on?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › W/Rap Sucks 2.0..............................Rap/HipHop... 12 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 vs AKG K702 65th or Hifiman He500 ? 24 seconds ago
- › WTB - Lafayette F-990 vintage headphone 1 minute ago
- › THE DIY HEADPHONE STAND THREAD 2 minutes ago
- › Mo-Fi Headphones from Blue Microphones: Multi-link, Amplified... 2 minutes ago
- › Woodied Grado SR325 with other upgrades. 3 minutes ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 4 minutes ago
- › Aurisonics ROCKETS: Appreciation Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 7 minutes ago
- › Beats Solo 2.0 On-Ear Headphones (Red) by cb3723
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by MacroPower
- › Denon Urban Raver In-Ear Headphones, Blue (AH-C100BU) by MrTechAgent
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKN50 by bharathss
- › Audio Technica W5000 by CJ09
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by lofoscopico
- › Philips SHE3680 Headphones, Wired by suman134
- › Philips SHE9850 In-Ear Headphones with Advanced Acoustics by suman134
- › audio-technica AIR Dinamic Headphone ATH-AD2000X (Japan Import) by Quazimoto
- › HiSoundAudio E212 by fleasbaby
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)