reshelling means a company will crack open you earphone. Grab the three different armatures inside. Then put them in a shell that is custom made for your ears. Is the best thing to do in you situation and roughly 145 USD. A huge win. However you will need to send in some ear impressions (no big deal).
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for guidance on recabling effort for Shure E500 Last post on 7/27/12 at 10:24am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Rewire My Shure E500s Last post on 6/11/12 at 4:36pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Shure SCL4 woes and what to buy next. Am I right to be paranoid? Last post on 9/5/10 at 4:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Shure E500 replacement (E530) Last post on 8/21/10 at 9:42am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Push To Listen Microphone? Last post on 3/27/11 at 11:34pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
My Amazon Review: I've owned many pieces of high end home audio over the years. Brands like Dali, Audio Research, Krell, Melos, and others. I expect a lot from my gear. In this case, one of the...
About me: I am not an audiology, sound expert or anything professional about audio of short. I am simply just a consumer with a lot of love for musics for years....I purchased this pair, and Would...
Before the Lyr 2 I owned two hybrid headphone amplifiers: the Hifiman EF2A, and the Maverick Audio A1. What both those entry level amplifiers lacked was the power and sonic dynamics to drive my...
I've spent about a month with Cayin N6 DAP, and I'd like to share my thoughts about it. There is few really great reviews of this DAP, so I won't repeat them again, describing it's box,...
I bought this in october. I agree with other reviewers, the sound is definitely value for money you can read other reviews for that. However, the build quality is terrible. I took good...
- Hi End Cables
Shure wants $145 to fix my E500 cables--Do it? Or move on? - Page 3
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
I'd send to BTG for recabling or get a credit towards new. Reshelling will change the sound as the wax filter Shure uses will be gone and it has a sonic effect. The tips are gone and that changes things and the bore will change and it's also a sonic difference. the way they combine the bore will be different or not there. The woofers are vented and the cavity they vent to will almost definitely change. It's not like a resheller can't compensate but it's not as easy as some make it sound.
Edited by goodvibes - 2/21/13 at 7:18am
I reshelled my Shure SE530 with UM and added 3 drivers to get 6-driver customs. Costs 450$ and sound great. But you can reshell without adding drivers and you will get much better comfort for 169$ plus price of impressions.
As the thread starter i thought id just post that i went with sending in 145 plus tax and
getting a brand new SE535. Im happy with this decision so far. Sounds the same as my SE500
and the price was right.
Only concern is that getting the tips off is a nightmare. They come out of the box with the Factory installed black foam - i finally got it off, and put it right back back on. That's the one i'm using. If they came off easily and safely (my last pair tube snapped off) id be more inclined to try out the different types.
But best to leave well enough alone.
Speecher, can i ask how you were able to get this done? I had cable problems with my SE530's and contacted Shure customer service and was told there was nothign they could do! No repairs, no replacement, no upgrade to SE535. Even if i paid!
First of all, i need to edit my last post. It wasnt 145 but $240 due to infation etc..
But to answer your question, i just called. Told them i wanted to repair a e500 and that was that...
Try calling the Shure service:
5800 West Touhy Avenue Niles IL 60714-4608
Phone: 847-600-2000 Fax: 847-600-1212
They told me that i had to send it back for repair, and once they saw it was oudated, they would recommened a replacement. The 530 is also outdated, so i would think they would do the same for you. It seems to be their policy.
Good Luck and let me know if you had success!
- Shure wants $145 to fix my E500 cables--Do it? Or move on?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › = HE-560 Enhancement Mod (2015-02-08 new revision out) = 12 seconds ago
- › "The Lab" 57 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser Opens its Flagship Store in Germany. Check out the full... 1 minute ago
- › The ATH-AD700 Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › (117dB SNR DAC 2+7.1 and 600 ohm AMP) Asrock's new audiophile... 3 minutes ago
- › DT880 dissatisfaction? 4 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 5 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 6 minutes ago
- › ASRock Fatal1ty Pro Z87's onboard SoundCore 3D vs Sound Blaster Z... 6 minutes ago
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1+ Bluethooth Wireless Headphones by Deckardk
- › JVC KENWOOD In-Ear Headphones HA-FX750 by Whitigir
- › Schiit Lyr 2 by bpandbass
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by cleg
- › OSTRY KC06A Hi-Fi In-Ear High Performance Earphones Headphones by xsuper
- › Brainwavz Delta by vaziyetu
- › JVC Kenwood Victer Stereo Headphones Ha-sz1000 by Hawaiibadboy
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by pformagg
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 by Giogio
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-WS99BT Solid Bass Bluetooth Headphones by Giogio
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2