reshelling means a company will crack open you earphone. Grab the three different armatures inside. Then put them in a shell that is custom made for your ears. Is the best thing to do in you situation and roughly 145 USD. A huge win. However you will need to send in some ear impressions (no big deal).
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for guidance on recabling effort for Shure E500 Last post on 7/27/12 at 10:24am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Rewire My Shure E500s Last post on 6/11/12 at 4:36pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Shure SCL4 woes and what to buy next. Am I right to be paranoid? Last post on 9/5/10 at 4:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Shure E500 replacement (E530) Last post on 8/21/10 at 9:42am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Push To Listen Microphone? Last post on 3/27/11 at 11:34pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
I was provided a review sample and appreciate the generosity and opportunity to listen and review the Brainwavz S5. I've owned many Brainwavz earphones ranging from the Beta through the B2...
Got a good local deal on these as the are being replaced by the SoundTrue variant, which as far as I can tell, only adds a case and different colors. The Bose AE2 are a very lightweight...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
- Hi End Cables
Shure wants $145 to fix my E500 cables--Do it? Or move on? - Page 3
I'd send to BTG for recabling or get a credit towards new. Reshelling will change the sound as the wax filter Shure uses will be gone and it has a sonic effect. The tips are gone and that changes things and the bore will change and it's also a sonic difference. the way they combine the bore will be different or not there. The woofers are vented and the cavity they vent to will almost definitely change. It's not like a resheller can't compensate but it's not as easy as some make it sound.
Edited by goodvibes - 2/21/13 at 7:18am
I reshelled my Shure SE530 with UM and added 3 drivers to get 6-driver customs. Costs 450$ and sound great. But you can reshell without adding drivers and you will get much better comfort for 169$ plus price of impressions.
As the thread starter i thought id just post that i went with sending in 145 plus tax and
getting a brand new SE535. Im happy with this decision so far. Sounds the same as my SE500
and the price was right.
Only concern is that getting the tips off is a nightmare. They come out of the box with the Factory installed black foam - i finally got it off, and put it right back back on. That's the one i'm using. If they came off easily and safely (my last pair tube snapped off) id be more inclined to try out the different types.
But best to leave well enough alone.
Speecher, can i ask how you were able to get this done? I had cable problems with my SE530's and contacted Shure customer service and was told there was nothign they could do! No repairs, no replacement, no upgrade to SE535. Even if i paid!
First of all, i need to edit my last post. It wasnt 145 but $240 due to infation etc..
But to answer your question, i just called. Told them i wanted to repair a e500 and that was that...
Try calling the Shure service:
5800 West Touhy Avenue Niles IL 60714-4608
Phone: 847-600-2000 Fax: 847-600-1212
They told me that i had to send it back for repair, and once they saw it was oudated, they would recommened a replacement. The 530 is also outdated, so i would think they would do the same for you. It seems to be their policy.
Good Luck and let me know if you had success!
- Shure wants $145 to fix my E500 cables--Do it? Or move on?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid introduction / impressions -... 14 seconds ago
- › Comparison / Review : Beyerdynamic’s Siblings – The Classic DT880... 38 seconds ago
- › I Basso HDP R 10 is IBasso DX 100 Japan Version impression and... 1 minute ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers) 2 minutes ago
- › What amp to get for the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pros? 4 minutes ago
- › My friend's wife yelled at me. 4 minutes ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 4 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by DannyBai
- › Bose®AE2 audio headphones by Blinxat
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)