Hi my dear friends. I have cowon d2+ and I'm using it with BBE+. Although I'm grateful with its sound quality, I'm looking for a new mp3 player. I have read about S:flo2, a lot of people say good things for it. Is it an upgrade from cowon d2+?(sound quality upgrade) Can u compare them only for sound quality? Thank you very much my friends.
- productCowon D2+ 16 GB MP3 Player (Black)tagged by System, 9/15/10
- productCowon D2+ 8 GB MP3 Player (Black)tagged by System, 9/15/10
- productCowon D2 Portable Multimedia Playertagged by System, 9/15/10
- categoryDigital Audio FLAC MP3 Playerstagged by System, 9/15/10
- productNationite S:Flo2tagged by System, 9/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- Portblale Mp3 player for SQ only Last post on 8/17/10 at 6:25am in Portable Source Gear
- Clip+ with Rockbox still not as great as Cowon D2, so which Cowon? Last post on 4/1/11 at 12:45am in Portable Source Gear
- Recommend me amp for around 100 usd Last post on 9/10/10 at 3:31pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Portable players recommendations Last post on 8/29/10 at 6:28am in Portable Source Gear
- question about cowon J3 charging and listening Last post on 8/17/10 at 11:15pm in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 11/29/16
About Me: I came into the world of audio from a guitar background, buying up tube amps from when I was a kid and was always fascinated with them. Then I ended up buying my first decent pair...
Disclaimer: This unit was provided to me by Brannan of Noble Audio to provide the guy’s participating in the massdrop, or those on the fence, with a better idea of what to expect. This is cutting...
These are just plain excellent. I was never really a believer in IEMs, but I am now. These Philips SHE3590s are a real eye-opener. According to the ratings here on Head-Fi, these do, in fact,...
Lately it seems that almost every week there are new (or at least unheard of by most) companies releasing new DAPs (Digital Audio Players). This is great for the consumer because more products...
Vibro Labs - Maya Review November 2016 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Firstly a thanks to Ejong7 & Luke Pighetti @ Vibro labs for...
Cowon D2+ vs. S:Flo2 is it an upgrade?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Well this question has been asked pretty often in Sflo and T51 threads. I would recommend you to visit those threads. IMO it is an upgrade SQ-wise in every SQ aspect.
Also there are many issues with this player, like low battery time, bad ui (if tags are very important to you),...
You can find it here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/461156
One last thing to say: In Head-fi there is always the "either,..or" -thing. IMO if you have the money, why do not own both, especially in the case that you already have the D2+. While listening music very often, I find it very nice that it is possible, if I can choose between more payers that please me SQ wise. It is not boring then. Also you can compare...
Yeah look into the Telecast T51/Nationite s:flo2 but if you decide it's not for you, I suggest checking out the newer Cowon J3.
I bought a D2+ before the J3 came out, and sold it the moment I found out about the J3. It's a far superior player in my opinion.
SQ wise I have never heard anything best a Cowon except for a good home stereo system,and then it was only when both where set with no EQ whatsoever. Once you use a Cowon EQ, nothing really compares. The Teclast may have a good line output and powerful amp, but if it lacked BBE and JetEffect settings I don't think I could ever be satisfied coming from an S9.
+1 J3, however I think the design of the S9 is better for the sleek incorporation of the buttons.
Funny, the buttons have been a recurring thing comparing these two...usually the J3 gets the nod. Why do you like the S9 buttons more?
^They protrude from the housing more with the S9, are easier to feel, and are more aesthetically pleasing to the eye and hand. It seems like they are an integral part of it. The buttons on the J3 appear to be nearly flush, and to me do not seem to "flow" compared to S9. I have not personally used a J3, But the design of the S9 seems more sleek (also due to the curved back and rounded sides)
Unless you apply Cowon's good SFX and EQ, you aren't really getting anything different from even a regular iPod with Cowon. That said, if you use earphones, the Cowon players generally begin missing beats: losing resolution in bass or treble, narrowing stereo separation pretty low, and other things. They still sound good for most music, but they can get congested.
The S:Flo2, while touting a rubbish interface and pretty worthless touchscreen, is unaffected by headphones. Plug anything in, even the lowest Ω headphone and it will sound the same or very similar as the unloaded signal. The S:Flo has the most impressively strong headphone out I've used. I am not talking about volume, but about quality. That said, it has a little hiss (about the same as an S9), a constant small ticking in the background, and is a bastard to update with new music.
If I had to choose between it and the S9 or J3 for SQ alone, I'd take it hands down. But for a music player where I could enjoy what I am listening to, I'd go Cowon.
What if you add an impedance adapter to the mix for the Cowon? I've always wondered if they would sound better if you add that since it doesn't drive low impedance too well compared to some previous daps that I've had.
Impedance adapters CAN help some players with SOME phones, but they can also screw up the balance. For instance, mulitple balanced armatures can have their crossover networks messed up. This sort of thing happens with external and wrong-fitting cables like TWAG that balance an earphone that isn't meant to be balanced. You can have it still sound good, but it changes the nature of the earphone.
In the case of the Cowon players, I'd just buy knowing that you have one of the BEST EQ's on the planet, but know that you are losing out in overall drive quality. Impedance adapters are not the way to go. Amps work better, but they are bulky and sometimes not good enough.
... "it" ?
Edited by Hero Kid - 9/22/10 at 12:37am
sq = s:flo2 (then again you just use mp3, which on some types of music is just fine, and on others, really, really becomes evident). i had s:flo2 but the flaws just killed it for me.
overall = cowon. i have an s9 and the s9 is BY FAR the more usable of the two. from UI to skins to physical buttons. i dont even really need to mess with the eq (much) BBE is nice.
my cousin has a d2. when he compared with s9, he also found that which one he liked would depend on type of music and quality of files. in the end, d2 was good enough.
i'd say just stick with your d2. by all means, demo the s9/j3 and s:flo2 if you can.
- Cowon D2+ vs. S:Flo2 is it an upgrade?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › GR07 Bass Eds right earphone dead, help with ffix or replacement... just now
- › Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H6 (2nd Generation) vs. Sennheiser HD 598 Cs... 49 seconds ago
- › Article: Please Stop "Burning In" Your Earphones 2 minutes ago
- › Bicycle-Fi! 2 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 4 minutes ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 4 minutes ago
- › Newbie here, posting my first... Had it with most forums. Thought... 4 minutes ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 5 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 5 minutes ago
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by SeeSax
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by WCDchee
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by Trevayne10
- › NiNTAUS X10 HiFi Lossless Music Player by crabdog
- › Vibro Labs Maya quad armature in-ear monitors by FortisFlyer75
- › Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC by davehg
- › AKG K 420 Foldable Mini Headphone - Blue by Johannus
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by Takeanidea
- › MEElectronics Air-Fi AF32 Stereo Bluetooth Wireless Headphones with... by e07015
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by dnun8086
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear