Hi my dear friends. I have cowon d2+ and I'm using it with BBE+. Although I'm grateful with its sound quality, I'm looking for a new mp3 player. I have read about S:flo2, a lot of people say good things for it. Is it an upgrade from cowon d2+?(sound quality upgrade) Can u compare them only for sound quality? Thank you very much my friends.
- productCowon D2+ 16 GB MP3 Player (Black)tagged by System, 9/15/10
- productCowon D2+ 8 GB MP3 Player (Black)tagged by System, 9/15/10
- productCowon D2 Portable Multimedia Playertagged by System, 9/15/10
- categoryDigital Audio FLAC MP3 Playerstagged by System, 9/15/10
- productNationite S:Flo2tagged by System, 9/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- Portblale Mp3 player for SQ only Last post on 8/17/10 at 6:25am in Portable Source Gear
- Clip+ with Rockbox still not as great as Cowon D2, so which Cowon? Last post on 4/1/11 at 12:45am in Portable Source Gear
- Recommend me amp for around 100 usd Last post on 9/10/10 at 3:31pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Portable players recommendations Last post on 8/29/10 at 6:28am in Portable Source Gear
- question about cowon J3 charging and listening Last post on 8/17/10 at 11:15pm in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 11/29/16
At the time this review was written, the Oriveti NEW Primacy was listed for sale on Amazon’s website. Here is a link to their listing of the...
Accutone is a company that specializes in hands-free communications solutions but they've taken their experience and expertise and used it to create a series of consumer earphones. From their...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONThis is the 2nd pair of IEMs sent to me for evaluation recently by FiiO. You can find my...
Unboxing This package came in an unassuming black box with the branding directly on the front. Opening it reveals the very nice semi-hard case that stores the earphones. Opening the case...
Intro I wanted to start this review off with a Swiss Army knife joke but it looks like several Head-Fiers have already did that so in a futile attempt to be both funny and original I’ll start off...
Cowon D2+ vs. S:Flo2 is it an upgrade?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Well this question has been asked pretty often in Sflo and T51 threads. I would recommend you to visit those threads. IMO it is an upgrade SQ-wise in every SQ aspect.
Also there are many issues with this player, like low battery time, bad ui (if tags are very important to you),...
You can find it here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/461156
One last thing to say: In Head-fi there is always the "either,..or" -thing. IMO if you have the money, why do not own both, especially in the case that you already have the D2+. While listening music very often, I find it very nice that it is possible, if I can choose between more payers that please me SQ wise. It is not boring then. Also you can compare...
Yeah look into the Telecast T51/Nationite s:flo2 but if you decide it's not for you, I suggest checking out the newer Cowon J3.
I bought a D2+ before the J3 came out, and sold it the moment I found out about the J3. It's a far superior player in my opinion.
SQ wise I have never heard anything best a Cowon except for a good home stereo system,and then it was only when both where set with no EQ whatsoever. Once you use a Cowon EQ, nothing really compares. The Teclast may have a good line output and powerful amp, but if it lacked BBE and JetEffect settings I don't think I could ever be satisfied coming from an S9.
+1 J3, however I think the design of the S9 is better for the sleek incorporation of the buttons.
Funny, the buttons have been a recurring thing comparing these two...usually the J3 gets the nod. Why do you like the S9 buttons more?
^They protrude from the housing more with the S9, are easier to feel, and are more aesthetically pleasing to the eye and hand. It seems like they are an integral part of it. The buttons on the J3 appear to be nearly flush, and to me do not seem to "flow" compared to S9. I have not personally used a J3, But the design of the S9 seems more sleek (also due to the curved back and rounded sides)
Unless you apply Cowon's good SFX and EQ, you aren't really getting anything different from even a regular iPod with Cowon. That said, if you use earphones, the Cowon players generally begin missing beats: losing resolution in bass or treble, narrowing stereo separation pretty low, and other things. They still sound good for most music, but they can get congested.
The S:Flo2, while touting a rubbish interface and pretty worthless touchscreen, is unaffected by headphones. Plug anything in, even the lowest Ω headphone and it will sound the same or very similar as the unloaded signal. The S:Flo has the most impressively strong headphone out I've used. I am not talking about volume, but about quality. That said, it has a little hiss (about the same as an S9), a constant small ticking in the background, and is a bastard to update with new music.
If I had to choose between it and the S9 or J3 for SQ alone, I'd take it hands down. But for a music player where I could enjoy what I am listening to, I'd go Cowon.
What if you add an impedance adapter to the mix for the Cowon? I've always wondered if they would sound better if you add that since it doesn't drive low impedance too well compared to some previous daps that I've had.
Impedance adapters CAN help some players with SOME phones, but they can also screw up the balance. For instance, mulitple balanced armatures can have their crossover networks messed up. This sort of thing happens with external and wrong-fitting cables like TWAG that balance an earphone that isn't meant to be balanced. You can have it still sound good, but it changes the nature of the earphone.
In the case of the Cowon players, I'd just buy knowing that you have one of the BEST EQ's on the planet, but know that you are losing out in overall drive quality. Impedance adapters are not the way to go. Amps work better, but they are bulky and sometimes not good enough.
... "it" ?
Edited by Hero Kid - 9/22/10 at 12:37am
sq = s:flo2 (then again you just use mp3, which on some types of music is just fine, and on others, really, really becomes evident). i had s:flo2 but the flaws just killed it for me.
overall = cowon. i have an s9 and the s9 is BY FAR the more usable of the two. from UI to skins to physical buttons. i dont even really need to mess with the eq (much) BBE is nice.
my cousin has a d2. when he compared with s9, he also found that which one he liked would depend on type of music and quality of files. in the end, d2 was good enough.
i'd say just stick with your d2. by all means, demo the s9/j3 and s:flo2 if you can.
- Cowon D2+ vs. S:Flo2 is it an upgrade?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Head-Fi Coupons for 40% off Rock Jaw Resonate and 20% off Rock Jaw... 28 seconds ago
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 32 seconds ago
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. With WiFi and... 2 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 3 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread 5 minutes ago
- › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Hidizs AP60 5 minutes ago
- › The Woo Audio 2 6 minutes ago
- › Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › ORIVETI NEW PRIMACY - Premium Triple Driver Hybrid HiFi IEM Headphones by Hisoundfi
- › Accutone Gemini HD by crabdog
- › FiiO F3 Dynamic In-Ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by chompchomps
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by Yethal
- › Cayin i5 by piksnz
- › Empire Ears Zeus by ejong7
- › Cosmic Ears CE6P by fluffyberry
- › HIFIMAN SuperMini High-Res Portable Player by tenedosian
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by Dobrescu George
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear