Hi my dear friends. I have cowon d2+ and I'm using it with BBE+. Although I'm grateful with its sound quality, I'm looking for a new mp3 player. I have read about S:flo2, a lot of people say good things for it. Is it an upgrade from cowon d2+?(sound quality upgrade) Can u compare them only for sound quality? Thank you very much my friends.
Related Forum Threads
- Portblale Mp3 player for SQ only Last post on 8/17/10 at 6:25am in Portable Source Gear
- Clip+ with Rockbox still not as great as Cowon D2, so which Cowon? Last post on 4/1/11 at 12:45am in Portable Source Gear
- Recommend me amp for around 100 usd Last post on 9/10/10 at 3:31pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Portable players recommendations Last post on 8/29/10 at 6:28am in Portable Source Gear
- question about cowon J3 charging and listening Last post on 8/17/10 at 11:15pm in Portable Source Gear
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Amps & Other Gear)
Edited on 12/28/12
Related Head Gear
very relax sounding IEM, great for relaxing, fit is awkward if u have small ears, accessories are tons but most are useless, tape mod is good! Recommended
I bought these back in October and have only been able to enjoy them in the last couple of weeks (i.e. from late April 2013 after ordering in October 2012). I can't stress enough how important it...
Based in the reviews I read here I purchased the SR80i last July 2012. I thought they were way to bright, or as someone else said "ice picks" in the ears. I thought perhaps I needed an amp - and...
One channel of my Denon 250 pre-amp/amp set failed several times per listening session. So I bought the SMSL SA-98 in Hong Kong for a mere € 98,99 including transport. The trip from Hong Kong to...
Introduction First, I’d like to thank the folks at HiSoundAudio for sending me a sample of the Wooduo 2 in ear monitors for review. HiSoundAudio is a Chinese based headphone and earphone...
Cowon D2+ vs. S:Flo2 is it an upgrade?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Well this question has been asked pretty often in Sflo and T51 threads. I would recommend you to visit those threads. IMO it is an upgrade SQ-wise in every SQ aspect.
Also there are many issues with this player, like low battery time, bad ui (if tags are very important to you),...
You can find it here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/461156
One last thing to say: In Head-fi there is always the "either,..or" -thing. IMO if you have the money, why do not own both, especially in the case that you already have the D2+. While listening music very often, I find it very nice that it is possible, if I can choose between more payers that please me SQ wise. It is not boring then. Also you can compare...
Yeah look into the Telecast T51/Nationite s:flo2 but if you decide it's not for you, I suggest checking out the newer Cowon J3.
I bought a D2+ before the J3 came out, and sold it the moment I found out about the J3. It's a far superior player in my opinion.
SQ wise I have never heard anything best a Cowon except for a good home stereo system,and then it was only when both where set with no EQ whatsoever. Once you use a Cowon EQ, nothing really compares. The Teclast may have a good line output and powerful amp, but if it lacked BBE and JetEffect settings I don't think I could ever be satisfied coming from an S9.
+1 J3, however I think the design of the S9 is better for the sleek incorporation of the buttons.
Funny, the buttons have been a recurring thing comparing these two...usually the J3 gets the nod. Why do you like the S9 buttons more?
^They protrude from the housing more with the S9, are easier to feel, and are more aesthetically pleasing to the eye and hand. It seems like they are an integral part of it. The buttons on the J3 appear to be nearly flush, and to me do not seem to "flow" compared to S9. I have not personally used a J3, But the design of the S9 seems more sleek (also due to the curved back and rounded sides)
Unless you apply Cowon's good SFX and EQ, you aren't really getting anything different from even a regular iPod with Cowon. That said, if you use earphones, the Cowon players generally begin missing beats: losing resolution in bass or treble, narrowing stereo separation pretty low, and other things. They still sound good for most music, but they can get congested.
The S:Flo2, while touting a rubbish interface and pretty worthless touchscreen, is unaffected by headphones. Plug anything in, even the lowest Ω headphone and it will sound the same or very similar as the unloaded signal. The S:Flo has the most impressively strong headphone out I've used. I am not talking about volume, but about quality. That said, it has a little hiss (about the same as an S9), a constant small ticking in the background, and is a bastard to update with new music.
If I had to choose between it and the S9 or J3 for SQ alone, I'd take it hands down. But for a music player where I could enjoy what I am listening to, I'd go Cowon.
What if you add an impedance adapter to the mix for the Cowon? I've always wondered if they would sound better if you add that since it doesn't drive low impedance too well compared to some previous daps that I've had.
Impedance adapters CAN help some players with SOME phones, but they can also screw up the balance. For instance, mulitple balanced armatures can have their crossover networks messed up. This sort of thing happens with external and wrong-fitting cables like TWAG that balance an earphone that isn't meant to be balanced. You can have it still sound good, but it changes the nature of the earphone.
In the case of the Cowon players, I'd just buy knowing that you have one of the BEST EQ's on the planet, but know that you are losing out in overall drive quality. Impedance adapters are not the way to go. Amps work better, but they are bulky and sometimes not good enough.
... "it" ?
Edited by Hero Kid - 9/22/10 at 12:37am
sq = s:flo2 (then again you just use mp3, which on some types of music is just fine, and on others, really, really becomes evident). i had s:flo2 but the flaws just killed it for me.
overall = cowon. i have an s9 and the s9 is BY FAR the more usable of the two. from UI to skins to physical buttons. i dont even really need to mess with the eq (much) BBE is nice.
my cousin has a d2. when he compared with s9, he also found that which one he liked would depend on type of music and quality of files. in the end, d2 was good enough.
i'd say just stick with your d2. by all means, demo the s9/j3 and s:flo2 if you can.
- Cowon D2+ vs. S:Flo2 is it an upgrade?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) please post your impressions. .... 35 seconds ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 1 minute ago
- › Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally!... 1 minute ago
- › The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - No affiliate links... 2 minutes ago
- › Need advice on upgrade 3 minutes ago
- › New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and... 4 minutes ago
- › Review: Resonessence Labs Invicta - new high end DAC/amp/playback... 6 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK120 6 minutes ago
- › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ i.e. Don't start a... 7 minutes ago
- › The Opamp thread 8 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE80 by minhquancanon7d
- › Unique Melody Miracle by Loquah
- › Grado SR80i Headphones by jeffphus
- › SMSL SA-98 Flagship-level Top HIFI Digital Big Power Amplifier... by REvandenBERG
- › Hisoundaudio Wooduo 2 by TheGame21x
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by TKWizard
- › Ultimate Ears 500 by lepermessiah
- › FiiO E09K by Bonavon Vovo
- › Aurisonics ASG-1 Rev 1.3 by kyuuketsuki
- › Audio Technica ATH-AD700 by sunnyape
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Power Corner) by joe