- 187 Posts. Joined 5/2008
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- ALO's new portable DAC. Last post on 8/24/12 at 8:53pm in Portable Source Gear
- The Centrance HiFi M8 thread Last post on 12/30/16 at 5:18pm in Portable Source Gear
- External DAC and headphone amp for iPhone Last post on 8/14/12 at 12:20pm in Portable Source Gear
- External sound card for music and movies at $100 Last post on 8/13/12 at 2:06pm in Portable Source Gear
- Seeking portable FLAC/ALAC player with true line out. Last post on 12/17/12 at 4:07am in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
There are a few brands that could be considered a powerhouse in the world of audio and headphones and beyerdynamic is without a doubt one of them. beyerdynamic has been family owned since...
REVIEWER INTRODUCTION First of all, I want to introduce my gear while writing this review. I'm using my AKG K612 PRO headphone with my Fiio X3 2nd Gen dedicated DAP. Currently I don't own any...
Preamble Whilst I have been an audio enthusiast for many years now, I must admit I have never really been all that interested in using any kind of esoteric cables with my systems. I have always...
Preamble: It is finally happening – Brainwavz Audio is making in-ears with Balanced Armature drivers again. After they were introduced to the public few months ago, the two single-BA...
The Lyra, released back in 2014-15 was refreshed along with Campfire Audio's dynamic and hybrid lineup as the Lyra II, and is a personal single dynamic driver favourite. We would like to thank...
Mini Dac TDA1543 X 4 NOS - Page 58post #856 of 9965/28/12 at 6:49amthats probably a highly benefitial mod. holco, kiwames are good. if you want to go all out, caddock, vishay film resistors would be it. please let us know if the 'hardness' of the sound disappears with the new resistors.post #857 of 9965/28/12 at 7:33pm
The sound's hardness was reduced considerably for me by re-grounding. More recently I've also ripped out all the TDA1543s in mine and replaced them by a stack of 8 TDA1387s. I used 4+4 in differential mode and an AD830 to subtract one half from the other. Its become the best sounding DAC I've ever built. Oh and TDA1387s don't get at all hot - 8 of them use about as much juice as a single TDA1543, but they can't accept more than 5.5V hence the need for the active output stage to get CD levels out.post #858 of 9965/28/12 at 10:37pmpost #859 of 9966/18/12 at 3:37am
so i did your resistor mod today, proid. i used 300ohms instead because all i had were 100ohms laying around (3 in series) the sound is indeed softer and more in tune with what my previous 1543 dac sounded like (lite ah)
i also took out the smoothing cap and put in 2200uf green sanyo in place. this had to be mounted outside the chassis so now i have a big green cap sticking out which kinda looks cute. i also took out the 47(?)uf elna caps that was paralleled to the smoothing cap and instead installed an mkp1870 for bypass. i dunno what this specifically has done to the sound since the resistor mod was performed at the same time but the sound is more dynamic with 'thicker' bass now. not deeper, but just with more body.
also quieter passages are now easier to pick out.
Edited by curiousmuffin - 6/18/12 at 3:39ampost #860 of 9967/19/12 at 8:18am
Just joined, great place to be. I've read this topic from the beginning and just bought one. Checked it had the proper 3.3v reg, all good.
I would like to replace the tantalum caps by the DAC chips with larger ones before the memory heatsinks I'll fit make it all inaccessible, but can't see from the stock ones which is the correct polarity, they don;t seem to have standard markings on them.
I *think* that the positive leg goes toward the output side of the board, is this right?
Thanks :)post #861 of 9967/21/12 at 5:46pm
No tantalum caps anywhere in mine. Polyester I think are used which have no polarity. If you decide to refit polarized caps then pin 5 of the TDA1543 is the positive one, which is on the output side.post #862 of 9967/23/12 at 1:33am
Thanks mate. Great posts you've made here, appreciated.
Had no one replied I was going to use non-polarised ones anyway. Maybe I should anyway, I have some spare polyesters kicking around.
I have another question regarding the 47k resistors however. It seems the output impedance of this is set by the 680R resistors, and the LF rolloff of the output cap needs to be calculated based on this. 250R has been recommended but this would mean my poly cap would be way too large (and expensive) so I was going to increase these resistor values to allow a smaller higher quality cap. It will be driving a SS preamp anyway so a low output impedance isn't really that necessary I think?
But what do the 47k resistors do? Can they be bypassed?post #863 of 9967/23/12 at 1:54am
Since I've subjected my Muse to massive modding I can't go back to it to find out which 47k resistors you're talking about. Are they the ones on the output side of the caps?
The LF roll-off in this case isn't going to be determined by the source impedance, but by the load impedance (seeing as the load impedance is much higher than 680R normally). The 47ks (I think) are there to provide a bias across the caps should the thing you're feeding into have no resistor to gnd. They're probably redundant and if your preamp's impedance is high (like >47k) then you can use a smaller cap by taking them out. Suppose your SS preamp had 100k input resistance, then for -0.1dB @ 20Hz (very conservative) you'd need output caps of 800nF.post #864 of 9967/23/12 at 5:49ampost #865 of 9969/6/12 at 2:38pm
Complete DAC/DIY newbie here. I was wondering how easy/complex it would be to fit the Mune DAC that has a single TDA1543 & replace it with a TDA1541? (plug in replacement?). SQ compared to 4x TDA1543?. Higher cost but maybe better?
post #866 of 9969/6/12 at 6:01pmQuote:
Very hard indeed to impossible even for an experienced DAC modder like myself. They're totally different chips - one has 8 pins and the other 28. The TDA1541 needs multiple supplies which won't be available in the Muse DAC so you'd need to add fancy regulators. There's no way all that stuff would fit in the Muse case.post #867 of 9969/6/12 at 6:40pmpost #868 of 9969/25/12 at 6:23am
Hello, I've this Muse dac and I had read that it is possible to shorten the caps at the output (at the RCA connectors). My question is if my amp Marantz PM7000 will handle with DC offset and not blow my speakers?post #869 of 99610/13/12 at 3:55amIf this is the inside
and on the far right top are the inputs you can see those red caps. They are probably the input caps (WIMA MKS?).
Here a guy that restored a similar one (PM68): http://marantzforum.nl/forum/index.php?topic=6309.0
I think you'll be ok.
Edited by ]eep - 10/13/12 at 3:56ampost #870 of 99610/15/12 at 2:15am
- Mini Dac TDA1543 X 4 NOS
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit 14 seconds ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 58 seconds ago
- › The Best audiophile tracks to test equipment 59 seconds ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 1 minute ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 1 minute ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 2 minutes ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread 3 minutes ago
- › sennheiser momentum 2.0 over the ear jack question 3 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NW-A30 SERIES 4 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic T5p Second Generation Audiophile Headphones by crabdog
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by Mustainized
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by Peddler
- › Brainwavz B100 Balanced Armature Earphone by HiFiChris
- › Campfire Audio Lyra II by alffla
- › Kingston Headset KHX-H3CL/WR HyperX Cloud Headset Black Retail by tproc
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by tproc
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5 by NCSUZoSo
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by FortisFlyer75
- › Audio-Opus Opus#2 by twister6
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear