^ nice! how did the sound change - do you have specifications of the small blue ones?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- ALO's new portable DAC. Last post on 8/24/12 at 8:53pm in Portable Source Gear
- The Centrance HiFi M8 thread Last post on 11/19/16 at 4:53am in Portable Source Gear
- External DAC and headphone amp for iPhone Last post on 8/14/12 at 12:20pm in Portable Source Gear
- External sound card for music and movies at $100 Last post on 8/13/12 at 2:06pm in Portable Source Gear
- Seeking portable FLAC/ALAC player with true line out. Last post on 12/17/12 at 4:07am in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
*This is a slightly revised and updated version of my original review from September of 2014. The Bass Colour was a good earphone two years ago and at it's current price of 29.99 USD on Penon Audio...
I bought these over a year ago as an upgrade to the generation 3 of the Piston earphones. I've been a user since generation 2 and I've loved the line up ever since. This simply feels like another...
I took the scenic route to loving these headphones and almost sold it a couple of times. I picked these up for free thanks to a promotion my carrier Freedom mobile was doing where if you buy the LG...
About Me: I came into the world of audio from a guitar background, buying up tube amps from when I was a kid and was always fascinated with them. Then I ended up buying my first decent pair...
Disclaimer: This unit was provided to me by Brannan of Noble Audio to provide the guy’s participating in the massdrop, or those on the fence, with a better idea of what to expect. This is cutting...
Mini Dac TDA1543 X 4 NOS - Page 50post #736 of 9921/2/12 at 4:13ampost #737 of 9921/2/12 at 5:17am
Now it sounds more spacious, wider and deeper in sound stage, a lot more micro-dynamics,bass is more punchy and faster than in original
These small Philips are
PP FILM FOILS CAPACITORS
KP AX EPOXY LACQUARED
1000pF +/- 1% 400V
I forgot to write that I have original output caps - Green Nichicon Musepost #738 of 9921/3/12 at 4:04ampost #739 of 9921/4/12 at 4:16am
Hi wiiman, sound with new power supply became more coherent, separation between every instrument is better, bass is little deeper now. Moreover MUSE is now less warmer than before (with original crappy PSU)
PSU also include ON/OFF switch, it is very comfortable to use now, because MUDE DAC haven`t got any.post #740 of 9921/5/12 at 8:38ampost #741 of 9921/7/12 at 2:16ampost #742 of 9921/8/12 at 5:57ampost #743 of 9921/9/12 at 1:57ampost #744 of 9921/9/12 at 12:24pm
i'm going to have to give this dac a try.
i still remember my old modded lite ah for having a sweeter sound than dac 60 that it replaced. and to me this muse dac seem to have more potential than lite ah simply from being able to use an external power supply.
expect some crazy things to come like russian oil cap bypass per 1543 and oversized everything else- when I mod I make it ugly! >:Dpost #745 of 9921/9/12 at 4:27pm
ok, n/m. I'm going to go with sapientiam's mods. :D
Sapientiam, please tell us how to do the absolute phase mod. Everything else seem like walk in the park compared to lifting the smd legs.
Also do you think it's beneficial to go with +1000uf power supply caps?post #746 of 9921/9/12 at 9:45pmGreetings to everyone.
I recently purchased this DAC because of the potential for mods and low price. Mostly because of the low price.
I have checked the regulator for the DIR 9001and its the 3.3v one so we're good there. Mine is the one with the white PCB board. It sounds pretty good unmodded and the I rather like the slight top end roll off which I would describe as organic sounding.
I would like to first upgrade the resistors on the I/V stage. (the 3 resistors near the LEDs). Do I have to change all 3 of them of just the 2 680ohm ones?
Edit: I just realized that all the resistors on the analog side should be changed.
Has anybody had any experience with tantalum resistors?
@curiousmuffin My stock DAC already has a 1000uF capacitor (the one near the DC jack) How about a 22,000uF?
Edited by dippy - 1/10/12 at 7:37ampost #747 of 9921/10/12 at 8:59am
wua nelly, dippy. now we're talking. so no adverse effect whatsoever from tagging on such huge caps? would my battery drain quicker should i decide to go lipo power?
as for resistors, if you want to go all out (along with 22k uf cap :D ), caddock carbon film is the way to go. i don't know whether they'll need a cooling fan in this application but i do know that there's no substitute to it's sound. :)post #748 of 9921/11/12 at 3:11pmIt is allways nice to see ppl getting started on modding. But do you actually know what you are doing? I mean, snubbering a 10uF electrolite with a 1nF MKP is hardly worth the effort. That is 1:10,000. The 0,5uF PiO is way more effective and better. That accounts for 99.5% of the effect you hear.
But WTF? That size for a 0.5uF? I know about the expression "thinking outside the box" but using those huge caps in a sigarettebox size enclosure is hardly what that expression is normally used for.
Why don you start reading this thread from page 16 or so to get to the real worthwhile mods. Remember: the best sounding cap is no cap. Go with Proids mods and you will hear a real worthwhile improvement. All you need between the 1543 output leg and the RCA plug is a 200Ohm resistor between signal and ground. No caps needed whatsoever.
About the powersupply. I have trouble believing your description of the improvements. I tried it with a Teradak PS and I heard no improvement whatsoever. Sorry. If you want to try what it sounds like with the cleanest possible power why not try 6 batteries? The PS you showed looks the works. I am really curious where you got it and what it costs. Why keep it a secret? It's not like someone will buy the whole 10 year supply or something... I have a sneaking suspicion all the effort and money is hardly worth the effort.
Since when is a severe unintentional high roll-off a good thing? Why throw away information?Quote:You don't. Just add a 4k over R01 and V goes from 7.63 to 7V. Or replace it for 450Ohm. Or bridge 1.5k or replace w/ 400Ohm for 6V.I would like to first upgrade the resistors on the I/V stage. (the 3 resistors near the LEDs). Do I have to change all 3 of them of just the 2 680ohm ones?
Edited by ]eep - 1/11/12 at 3:30pmpost #749 of 9921/11/12 at 3:47pmpost #750 of 9921/11/12 at 6:56pmQuote:
The absolute phase mod is done by reusing a gate in the HC00 which got freed up when I deleted the optical input. If you don't want to do any leg-lifting on SO packages, you can just add another inverter device - perhaps a pico-gate would to it. Lifting legs though is easy - just a sharp scalpel point and soldering iron does the trick. As to your power supply question, I doubt its any benefit.
- Mini Dac TDA1543 X 4 NOS
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 21 seconds ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 32 seconds ago
- › Comfortable IEM for noisy environments 51 seconds ago
- › 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded! 1 minute ago
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 1 minute ago
- › ZTE AXON 7-America's First HiFi Mobile Audio & Dolby ATMOS 1 minute ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 2 minutes ago
- › Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison!... 2 minutes ago
- › The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 3 minutes ago
- › Don Scorpio Bass Colour by B9Scrambler
- › Xiaomi Mi Hybrid Earphone In-Ear Headphones Multi-unit Circle Iron... by junhawng
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H3 by 8hours
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by SeeSax
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by WCDchee
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by Trevayne10
- › NiNTAUS X10 HiFi Lossless Music Player by crabdog
- › Vibro Labs Maya quad armature in-ear monitors by FortisFlyer75
- › Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC by davehg
- › AKG K 420 Foldable Mini Headphone - Blue by Johannus
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear