^ nice! how did the sound change - do you have specifications of the small blue ones?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- ALO's new portable DAC. Last post on 8/24/12 at 8:53pm in Portable Source Gear
- The Centrance HiFi M8 thread Last post on 3/13/17 at 10:42pm in Portable Source Gear
- External DAC and headphone amp for iPhone Last post on 8/14/12 at 12:20pm in Portable Source Gear
- External sound card for music and movies at $100 Last post on 8/13/12 at 2:06pm in Portable Source Gear
- Seeking portable FLAC/ALAC player with true line out. Last post on 12/17/12 at 4:07am in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
At the time this review was written, the 1More MK802 bluetooth headphone was listed for sale on 1More’s and Amazon’s website. Here are links for more information and...
I first had the chance to audition these at the Wikia meet in San Francisco, taking them around and trying them in different rigs. For $4000, they had a lot to live up to. While on the...
Magaosi K3 Pro Review: Triple Threat Magaosi is another Chinese IEM maker to burst onto the Chi-Fi scene. While its IEM portfolio is shallow, it is not without quality. Their new triple-driver...
INTRODUCTION few months back my friend tried these headphones. Few days ago she wanted to buy it from me. And I quote her to start this review off "I've never heard music like I did with this...
I have had the headset for about 12 months now so I will just drop some of my long term expectations to anyone wanting to buy this. I have the second (current) revision of the headphones with the...
Mini Dac TDA1543 X 4 NOS - Page 50post #736 of 10031/2/12 at 4:13ampost #737 of 10031/2/12 at 5:17am
Now it sounds more spacious, wider and deeper in sound stage, a lot more micro-dynamics,bass is more punchy and faster than in original
These small Philips are
PP FILM FOILS CAPACITORS
KP AX EPOXY LACQUARED
1000pF +/- 1% 400V
I forgot to write that I have original output caps - Green Nichicon Musepost #738 of 10031/3/12 at 4:04ampost #739 of 10031/4/12 at 4:16am
Hi wiiman, sound with new power supply became more coherent, separation between every instrument is better, bass is little deeper now. Moreover MUSE is now less warmer than before (with original crappy PSU)
PSU also include ON/OFF switch, it is very comfortable to use now, because MUDE DAC haven`t got any.post #740 of 10031/5/12 at 8:38ampost #741 of 10031/7/12 at 2:16ampost #742 of 10031/8/12 at 5:57ampost #743 of 10031/9/12 at 1:57ampost #744 of 10031/9/12 at 12:24pm
i'm going to have to give this dac a try.
i still remember my old modded lite ah for having a sweeter sound than dac 60 that it replaced. and to me this muse dac seem to have more potential than lite ah simply from being able to use an external power supply.
expect some crazy things to come like russian oil cap bypass per 1543 and oversized everything else- when I mod I make it ugly! >:Dpost #745 of 10031/9/12 at 4:27pm
ok, n/m. I'm going to go with sapientiam's mods. :D
Sapientiam, please tell us how to do the absolute phase mod. Everything else seem like walk in the park compared to lifting the smd legs.
Also do you think it's beneficial to go with +1000uf power supply caps?post #746 of 10031/9/12 at 9:45pmGreetings to everyone.
I recently purchased this DAC because of the potential for mods and low price. Mostly because of the low price.
I have checked the regulator for the DIR 9001and its the 3.3v one so we're good there. Mine is the one with the white PCB board. It sounds pretty good unmodded and the I rather like the slight top end roll off which I would describe as organic sounding.
I would like to first upgrade the resistors on the I/V stage. (the 3 resistors near the LEDs). Do I have to change all 3 of them of just the 2 680ohm ones?
Edit: I just realized that all the resistors on the analog side should be changed.
Has anybody had any experience with tantalum resistors?
@curiousmuffin My stock DAC already has a 1000uF capacitor (the one near the DC jack) How about a 22,000uF?
Edited by dippy - 1/10/12 at 7:37ampost #747 of 10031/10/12 at 8:59am
wua nelly, dippy. now we're talking. so no adverse effect whatsoever from tagging on such huge caps? would my battery drain quicker should i decide to go lipo power?
as for resistors, if you want to go all out (along with 22k uf cap :D ), caddock carbon film is the way to go. i don't know whether they'll need a cooling fan in this application but i do know that there's no substitute to it's sound. :)post #748 of 10031/11/12 at 3:11pmIt is allways nice to see ppl getting started on modding. But do you actually know what you are doing? I mean, snubbering a 10uF electrolite with a 1nF MKP is hardly worth the effort. That is 1:10,000. The 0,5uF PiO is way more effective and better. That accounts for 99.5% of the effect you hear.
But WTF? That size for a 0.5uF? I know about the expression "thinking outside the box" but using those huge caps in a sigarettebox size enclosure is hardly what that expression is normally used for.
Why don you start reading this thread from page 16 or so to get to the real worthwhile mods. Remember: the best sounding cap is no cap. Go with Proids mods and you will hear a real worthwhile improvement. All you need between the 1543 output leg and the RCA plug is a 200Ohm resistor between signal and ground. No caps needed whatsoever.
About the powersupply. I have trouble believing your description of the improvements. I tried it with a Teradak PS and I heard no improvement whatsoever. Sorry. If you want to try what it sounds like with the cleanest possible power why not try 6 batteries? The PS you showed looks the works. I am really curious where you got it and what it costs. Why keep it a secret? It's not like someone will buy the whole 10 year supply or something... I have a sneaking suspicion all the effort and money is hardly worth the effort.
Since when is a severe unintentional high roll-off a good thing? Why throw away information?Quote:You don't. Just add a 4k over R01 and V goes from 7.63 to 7V. Or replace it for 450Ohm. Or bridge 1.5k or replace w/ 400Ohm for 6V.I would like to first upgrade the resistors on the I/V stage. (the 3 resistors near the LEDs). Do I have to change all 3 of them of just the 2 680ohm ones?
Edited by ]eep - 1/11/12 at 3:30pmpost #749 of 10031/11/12 at 3:47pmpost #750 of 10031/11/12 at 6:56pmQuote:
The absolute phase mod is done by reusing a gate in the HC00 which got freed up when I deleted the optical input. If you don't want to do any leg-lifting on SO packages, you can just add another inverter device - perhaps a pico-gate would to it. Lifting legs though is easy - just a sharp scalpel point and soldering iron does the trick. As to your power supply question, I doubt its any benefit.
- Mini Dac TDA1543 X 4 NOS
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Meridian Explorer² Impressions Thread 27 seconds ago
- › Tennmak 58 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 59 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 6 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread 8 minutes ago
- › THE Ultimate Step-By-Step Hifiman Headband Replacement Guide from... 8 minutes ago
- › Ranking the Stars - flinkenick's 2017 IEM Flagship Shootout 10 minutes ago
- › Bose QC35 Wireless Noise-Cancelling Headphones 11 minutes ago
- › The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread 12 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 12 minutes ago
- › 1MORE MK802 Bluetooth Wireless Over-Ear Headphones with Apple iOS... by Hisoundfi
- › Focal Utopia by Currawong
- › HiLisening MaGaosi Newest High end Detachable Design K3 In-Ear HiFi... by Cinder
- › AKG K 550 by SOULSIK
- › Sennheiser G4ME ZERO Over-Ear Gaming Headset by Jetpil0t
- › Superlux HD 681 by IkuMiku96
- › Lotoo Paw Gold by EagleWings
- › JVC HA-FX101 by PETEBULL
- › Etymotic ER4XR by HiFiChris
- › ZMF Headphones Eikon by Aornic
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear