Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- ALO's new portable DAC. Last post on 8/24/12 at 8:53pm in Portable Source Gear
- The Centrance HiFi M8 thread Last post on Today at 6:20 am in Portable Source Gear
- External DAC and headphone amp for iPhone Last post on 8/14/12 at 12:20pm in Portable Source Gear
- External sound card for music and movies at $100 Last post on 8/13/12 at 2:06pm in Portable Source Gear
- Seeking portable FLAC/ALAC player with true line out. Last post on 12/17/12 at 4:07am in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
There comes a time you're bored from your audio gear. You don't have a grand or two for a new set of ultra high end headphones to give you that fresh kick, and electronics costing as much as your...
MY GOD!!! I have just received my headphones! I have been putting them through there initial paces straight from the box, after just 30 mins I have had to come here to let you know my experience so...
At the time this review was written, the Oriveti NEW Primacy was listed for sale on Amazon’s website. Here is a link to their listing of the...
Accutone is a company that specializes in hands-free communications solutions but they've taken their experience and expertise and used it to create a series of consumer earphones. From their...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONThis is the 2nd pair of IEMs sent to me for evaluation recently by FiiO. You can find my...
Mini Dac TDA1543 X 4 NOS - Page 43post #632 of 9988/18/11 at 4:12pm
I have been testing it on for two hours, it doesn't really get hot IMO, I would say warm, about the same temperature as my COMPAQ laptop. BTW, it's hot in Seattle with no AC at home, so I think folks that live in an AC environment probably don't have to worry too much.post #633 of 9988/18/11 at 4:19pmpost #634 of 9988/18/11 at 7:22pm
After 5 hours of running, the unit was only warm, not hot at all.Quote:post #635 of 9988/19/11 at 4:54ampost #636 of 9988/19/11 at 10:53amQuote:
Yes. One thing I notice is that the PCB doesn't feel like plastic, I am not sure what material is used, but that could be why the heat is spread more evenly.
P.S. What setting do you guys use in Windows? I set 96khz 24bit, is that optimal?
Edited by 021311 - 8/19/11 at 4:46pmpost #637 of 9988/19/11 at 6:12pmQuote:
Apologies for going a bit off-topic, but I actually first learned about Metrum from your comments in this thread a few months back... then the 6 moons review, and noticed that the Octave has been sneaking into reviews against other gear, and winning. Against something like 5-6 DACs now, couple costing about 4-5x the price (TotalDAC and a higher end Zodiac).
Decided to pull the trigger today on an Octave. Total shipped to the US, Paypal fees + conversion, is about $1060. That's for silver w/ 14v psu, same as the 6 moons review. 8-10 week backlog, yikes. Oh well, have been running an Ack! Dack! 2.0 w/ high resolution caps for about 6-7 years now, tried other DACs and they just don't grab me. The main issue I have is there can be significant digital tearing on lesser recordings, something I understand is typical on simple TDA family DACs but not on NOS in general. Also the fact that the Ack! fell out of favor years ago, considered to be trumped by even much less costly options like Scott Nixon's offerings. Thinking this will be the one for me for the next several years...
Edited by bobeau - 8/19/11 at 6:19pmpost #638 of 9988/19/11 at 9:52pm
horrible workmanship lol. it smells burnt and i havent even plugged it in yet. welp looks like im out at least 15$ shipping this POS back to its seller. workmanship is one thing, but if i smell a electrical burnt smell, theres no way i should attempt to use it right?post #639 of 9988/19/11 at 10:23pmQuote:
Aren't you even gonna try? What's the worst thing that could happen? Just use it with a fire extinguisher aside.
Edited by 021311 - 8/20/11 at 1:14ampost #640 of 9988/23/11 at 1:06pm
After 24/7 for two days, the unit's temperature is less than warm, I could barely feel any heat from the surface. You guys got me worry, I was thinking about buying different charger and heatsinks and other stuff, turns out I don't need any of them. However, it doesn't sound like anything I imagined. Thinking of buying the PCM1793 version now.post #641 of 9988/23/11 at 3:17pm
Since you have the WHITE PCB version which is saying 15-18 V input, and running it from a 12V PSU it's a totally different story. You are actually using Voltage lower than specified - no wonder it stays cool :))
Quote:Originally Posted by 021311
After 24/7 for two days, the unit's temperature is less than warm, I could barely feel any heat from the surface. You guys got me worry, I was thinking about buying different charger and heatsinks and other stuff, turns out I don't need any of them. However, it doesn't sound like anything I imagined. Thinking of buying the PCM1793 version now.post #642 of 9988/23/11 at 3:45pm
And I'm still running mine on 9v. Maybe it's not a good idea to be using such a drop in voltage (?) but it seems to be working fine.Quote:post #643 of 9988/24/11 at 1:45am
Well - I would trust what's working more than what is printed....
Quote:post #644 of 9988/24/11 at 1:13pm
I briefly tried the PSU it came with but didn't like the buzzing noise coming out of it. When I cranked up the PSU I have been using to 12v I noticed the unit got warm fairly quick. So I guess I'll stick with 9v.post #645 of 9988/24/11 at 4:01pm
Quote:Originally Posted by ardilla
Well - I feel the pressure. I'll get into it. (...in august.....)
When I a/b-ed them initially, they felt quite similar, and I planned to do this very thourugh blind a-b session with a pal and we never got to it, yet. And I'm perfectly happy with both - having them in two different rigs.
With another user buying the octave I have to ask, any word on this?
- Mini Dac TDA1543 X 4 NOS
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 44 seconds ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › allergic to audiophile grade stuff? 2 minutes ago
- › New Shure SE215 - First Impressions 2 minutes ago
- › The Shenzhen Benjie BJ-T6 / AGPtek Rocker 2 minutes ago
- › Im confused.... (sorry!) 2 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 3 minutes ago
- › Absolute best budget earbuds? 3 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by rafaelpernil
- › PureSounds PS100-600 by BloodyPenguin
- › Schiit Audio Vali 2 by DeeKay10
- › AKG K92 | Over Ear Closed Back Monitoring Headphone by SaturnVuk
- › ORIVETI NEW PRIMACY - Premium Triple Driver Hybrid HiFi IEM Headphones by Hisoundfi
- › Accutone Gemini HD by crabdog
- › FiiO F3 Dynamic In-Ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by chompchomps
- › Cayin i5 by piksnz
- › Empire Ears Zeus by ejong7
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear