which one you guys recommend? why?
Related Forum Threads
- M50 or SRH840 for rock/folk ? Last post on 8/10/10 at 4:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Shure srh840 or Audio-Techiniqa M50 Last post on 7/24/10 at 12:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- 150 dollar can recomendation Last post on 7/23/10 at 10:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Fake Audio Technica ATH-M50? Last post on 6/4/12 at 1:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Softer cushions for ATH-M50(than the Beyers and possibly the Shures) Last post on 5/11/11 at 5:02am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 12/16/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Intro This was my first real pair of headphones, and they satisfied me for two years. So it is only fitting that my first headphone review be on these awesome headphones. The HD598s are a great...
Introduction First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very...
This is a review of the Noble 8c, an eight drivers 4 ways ciems. You could check the specs on the noble web site. Please be kind in your critics, as this is my first review ever, and that English...
Porta Pros simply made the biggest difference for me when listening to music as I have switched from some low-end sony in-ear to them and suddenly when playing the same song music became more rich...
From the moment Charles told me about the new project that he was working on, “Project Palaios”, I was intrigued. A wooden amp? That’s certainly not what you hear everyday and from the pictures...
Audio-Technica ATH-M50S or Shure SRH840
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 89/12/10 at 2:07pmpost #3 of 89/12/10 at 2:14pm
Both are good. There's a ton of threads on this.
Get the m50 if you want more bass and a headphone that's slightly less detailed, but has a more comfortable fit. I don't find it all that neutral, but it's still pretty good. This would actually be better for longer listening sessions over the SRH-840. Soundstage is pretty poor even for a closed headphone. Vocals are so-so, but I wish they were a bit more forward.
Get the SRH-840 if you want a more neutral headphone with a lot of detail, but nothing excessive. The highs can be fatiguing for me at about the 2 hour mark. These are huge and don't fit that well on my head, so I had to sell them and downgrade the overall sound quality a tad and get something I could actually wear comfortably (M50). Possibly the best headphone in the world for "Imogen Heap".
I'd only suggest getting the SRH-840s if you can find them under $150. They are not worth $200 to me. Even for $150, that's a bit high. These would be a good deal for $130.
BTW the bass on SRH-840 is good enough for me, just check the charts and you can see that it definitely has a lot of bass, but some people may still find it disappointing.
If you want even more bass (then even the M50) get the Shure SRH-750DJ. I hated these headphones though, but a lot of people prefer them over the 840s.
None of these had my perfect sound signature, but both are very good and you can't go wrong with either of them.
Edited by tdockweiler - 9/12/10 at 2:16pmpost #4 of 89/12/10 at 2:25pm
I have had the Shure SRH 840s for a few months and am very pleased with them.
VERY comfortable for my big head, build quality is excellent.
As for the sound, well tastes differ, but I do think they present a pretty accurate version of what the recording engineer was trying to achieve, and that's the bottom line for me.
Isolation from the outside world is good, not perfect, but I can't hear the TV playing in the same room, which is what I want.post #5 of 89/12/10 at 2:27pmpost #6 of 89/12/10 at 2:58pm
The SRH840s have plenty of bass - at least they're good enough for me. It's just not the boomy, headrattling bass that mimics being in a club or disco.
If bass is a very high priority on your list, then get the M50s, otherwise, I'd recommend the Shures. As for build quality, just comparing the two phones at a store, I found the 840 to be much sturdier and that it uses higher quality plastic than the M50s. I didn't like the feel of the M50s and they felt more cheaply made to me. That was my first impression when I walked into the store knowing nothing about their sound signatures.post #7 of 89/13/10 at 10:05pm
I bought the M50 instead of the 840 a month ago after trying them out in a store.IMO I think the M50 has much better building quality then the 840. I just didnt like the cable sticking out next to the ear cup, I almost certain you can early break them if you take them on the go (keep that in mind, Shure has bad reputation in cable quality).
I personally prefer the M50 in sound wise too although I think they are very close match, M50 has far better base, deeper, powerful but not over. 840 its better in clarity. It really depends what you like in sound.post #8 of 89/14/10 at 12:54am
You should find this article useful:
It's a comparison between quite a few closed headphones in a similar price range, including the M50 and SRH840.
- Audio-Technica ATH-M50S or Shure SRH840
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)
- › REVIEW : DUNU DN1000 - Immensely Capable Hybrid IEM 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 5 minutes ago
- › Fischer Amps FA-4 E XB: New 4-BA IEM From Germany 5 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp 6 minutes ago
- › Pictures Of Your High End System II (Same Rules Apply) 6 minutes ago
- › To buy Onkyo C-7030 or not to buy? 6 minutes ago
- › Unique Melody Miracle Review & Appreciation Thread 7 minutes ago
- › [New] Philips Fidelio X1 7 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by davisman
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe