which one you guys recommend? why?
Related Forum Threads
- M50 or SRH840 for rock/folk ? Last post on 8/10/10 at 4:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Shure srh840 or Audio-Techiniqa M50 Last post on 7/24/10 at 12:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- 150 dollar can recomendation Last post on 7/23/10 at 10:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Fake Audio Technica ATH-M50? Last post on 6/4/12 at 1:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Softer cushions for ATH-M50(than the Beyers and possibly the Shures) Last post on 5/11/11 at 5:02am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
DISCLAIMER After my last pair of earphones broke, I did some research on the forums to find high praise for Edifier, much of which for the 185's. A bit of research showed that the company sought...
DISCLAIMER I am in no way associated with the SoundMAGIC company. I have bought ES18 myself and just expressing my honest opinion here. ABOUT ME I am a 25 years old music enthusiast...
For larger views of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION I've had the pleasure of listening to most of DUNU Topsound's hybrid earphones (DN1000, 2000...
Read the full review here! http://www.head-fi.org/t/809194/review-t-peos-rasiel
Audio-Technica ATH-M50S or Shure SRH840
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 89/12/10 at 2:07pmpost #3 of 89/12/10 at 2:14pm
Both are good. There's a ton of threads on this.
Get the m50 if you want more bass and a headphone that's slightly less detailed, but has a more comfortable fit. I don't find it all that neutral, but it's still pretty good. This would actually be better for longer listening sessions over the SRH-840. Soundstage is pretty poor even for a closed headphone. Vocals are so-so, but I wish they were a bit more forward.
Get the SRH-840 if you want a more neutral headphone with a lot of detail, but nothing excessive. The highs can be fatiguing for me at about the 2 hour mark. These are huge and don't fit that well on my head, so I had to sell them and downgrade the overall sound quality a tad and get something I could actually wear comfortably (M50). Possibly the best headphone in the world for "Imogen Heap".
I'd only suggest getting the SRH-840s if you can find them under $150. They are not worth $200 to me. Even for $150, that's a bit high. These would be a good deal for $130.
BTW the bass on SRH-840 is good enough for me, just check the charts and you can see that it definitely has a lot of bass, but some people may still find it disappointing.
If you want even more bass (then even the M50) get the Shure SRH-750DJ. I hated these headphones though, but a lot of people prefer them over the 840s.
None of these had my perfect sound signature, but both are very good and you can't go wrong with either of them.
Edited by tdockweiler - 9/12/10 at 2:16pmpost #4 of 89/12/10 at 2:25pm
I have had the Shure SRH 840s for a few months and am very pleased with them.
VERY comfortable for my big head, build quality is excellent.
As for the sound, well tastes differ, but I do think they present a pretty accurate version of what the recording engineer was trying to achieve, and that's the bottom line for me.
Isolation from the outside world is good, not perfect, but I can't hear the TV playing in the same room, which is what I want.post #5 of 89/12/10 at 2:27pmpost #6 of 89/12/10 at 2:58pm
The SRH840s have plenty of bass - at least they're good enough for me. It's just not the boomy, headrattling bass that mimics being in a club or disco.
If bass is a very high priority on your list, then get the M50s, otherwise, I'd recommend the Shures. As for build quality, just comparing the two phones at a store, I found the 840 to be much sturdier and that it uses higher quality plastic than the M50s. I didn't like the feel of the M50s and they felt more cheaply made to me. That was my first impression when I walked into the store knowing nothing about their sound signatures.post #7 of 89/13/10 at 10:05pm
I bought the M50 instead of the 840 a month ago after trying them out in a store.IMO I think the M50 has much better building quality then the 840. I just didnt like the cable sticking out next to the ear cup, I almost certain you can early break them if you take them on the go (keep that in mind, Shure has bad reputation in cable quality).
I personally prefer the M50 in sound wise too although I think they are very close match, M50 has far better base, deeper, powerful but not over. 840 its better in clarity. It really depends what you like in sound.post #8 of 89/14/10 at 12:54am
You should find this article useful:
It's a comparison between quite a few closed headphones in a similar price range, including the M50 and SRH840.
- Audio-Technica ATH-M50S or Shure SRH840
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova 9 seconds ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 44 seconds ago
- › REL T2 Subwoofer... mint condition... make my an offer 53 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 59 seconds ago
- › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 1 minute ago
- › Opinion on K7xx's 1 minute ago
- › Q Cable Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 2 minutes ago
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Edifier P185 Headphones Hi-Fi Classic Earbud Style Earphones With... by flamerz
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by TravAndAlex
- › SoundMAGIC ES18 In-Ear Headphones (Black/Red) by OSiRiSsk
- › DUNU DN-2002 by Brooko
- › T-PEOS RASIEL by kimvictor
- › Westone ES 5 by Xu Tianyi
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by Aornic
- › Venture Electronics Asura 2.0 by Zelda
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Zen V2 by Zelda
- › Venture Electronics (VE) the Duke by Zelda
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...