which one you guys recommend? why?
Related Forum Threads
- M50 or SRH840 for rock/folk ? Last post on 8/10/10 at 4:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Shure srh840 or Audio-Techiniqa M50 Last post on 7/24/10 at 12:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- 150 dollar can recomendation Last post on 7/23/10 at 10:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Fake Audio Technica ATH-M50? Last post on 6/4/12 at 1:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Softer cushions for ATH-M50(than the Beyers and possibly the Shures) Last post on 5/11/11 at 5:02am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
The Emotiva DC-1 Stealth DAC is frankly, an incredible value. The only other products I can think of that offers such a complete and capable skill set for such a low cost are the Koss KSC75,...
This is a very comfortable headphone (not ideally so, but close enough) and once you get used to the clap force, you barely notice it's on. The sound quality is amazing. I have compared this...
First of all, thank you to @ejong7 for arranging for me to be included in this review tour. I am in no way affiliated with Obravo or any retailer. I am head-fi hobbyist and music lover...
Where do I start? These honestly sound like the HD600/650 in IEM form. My previous go to IEM was the Klipsch X10 ($100), followed by the Klipsch X20i ($539). What is amazing, is that the RE-400...
I want to thank the MezeTeam over at Head Fi for allowing me the chance to review the 99 Classics as part of their Tour. You can purchase the 99 Classics in three colors right from their...
Audio-Technica ATH-M50S or Shure SRH840
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 89/12/10 at 2:07pmpost #3 of 89/12/10 at 2:14pm
Both are good. There's a ton of threads on this.
Get the m50 if you want more bass and a headphone that's slightly less detailed, but has a more comfortable fit. I don't find it all that neutral, but it's still pretty good. This would actually be better for longer listening sessions over the SRH-840. Soundstage is pretty poor even for a closed headphone. Vocals are so-so, but I wish they were a bit more forward.
Get the SRH-840 if you want a more neutral headphone with a lot of detail, but nothing excessive. The highs can be fatiguing for me at about the 2 hour mark. These are huge and don't fit that well on my head, so I had to sell them and downgrade the overall sound quality a tad and get something I could actually wear comfortably (M50). Possibly the best headphone in the world for "Imogen Heap".
I'd only suggest getting the SRH-840s if you can find them under $150. They are not worth $200 to me. Even for $150, that's a bit high. These would be a good deal for $130.
BTW the bass on SRH-840 is good enough for me, just check the charts and you can see that it definitely has a lot of bass, but some people may still find it disappointing.
If you want even more bass (then even the M50) get the Shure SRH-750DJ. I hated these headphones though, but a lot of people prefer them over the 840s.
None of these had my perfect sound signature, but both are very good and you can't go wrong with either of them.
Edited by tdockweiler - 9/12/10 at 2:16pmpost #4 of 89/12/10 at 2:25pm
I have had the Shure SRH 840s for a few months and am very pleased with them.
VERY comfortable for my big head, build quality is excellent.
As for the sound, well tastes differ, but I do think they present a pretty accurate version of what the recording engineer was trying to achieve, and that's the bottom line for me.
Isolation from the outside world is good, not perfect, but I can't hear the TV playing in the same room, which is what I want.post #5 of 89/12/10 at 2:27pmpost #6 of 89/12/10 at 2:58pm
The SRH840s have plenty of bass - at least they're good enough for me. It's just not the boomy, headrattling bass that mimics being in a club or disco.
If bass is a very high priority on your list, then get the M50s, otherwise, I'd recommend the Shures. As for build quality, just comparing the two phones at a store, I found the 840 to be much sturdier and that it uses higher quality plastic than the M50s. I didn't like the feel of the M50s and they felt more cheaply made to me. That was my first impression when I walked into the store knowing nothing about their sound signatures.post #7 of 89/13/10 at 10:05pm
I bought the M50 instead of the 840 a month ago after trying them out in a store.IMO I think the M50 has much better building quality then the 840. I just didnt like the cable sticking out next to the ear cup, I almost certain you can early break them if you take them on the go (keep that in mind, Shure has bad reputation in cable quality).
I personally prefer the M50 in sound wise too although I think they are very close match, M50 has far better base, deeper, powerful but not over. 840 its better in clarity. It really depends what you like in sound.post #8 of 89/14/10 at 12:54am
You should find this article useful:
It's a comparison between quite a few closed headphones in a similar price range, including the M50 and SRH840.
- Audio-Technica ATH-M50S or Shure SRH840
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Three Word Story 28 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 46 seconds ago
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 1 minute ago
- › Little Dot MK8SE / MK6 Super Mods (All verified mods are on first... 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 4 minutes ago
- › My DT990 600 Ohms Bass Distortion at High Volume 5 minutes ago
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DAC by JoeDoe
- › Sennheiser PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones - Black by MorrisL
- › oBravo ERIB-2a by Krisman
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by achelgeson
- › Meze 99 Classics by Mshenay
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by C.C.S.
- › Effect Audio Leonidas by MikePortnoy
- › Brainwavz BLU-200 by DynamikeB
- › Marantz HD- DAC1High Definition USB DAC / Headphone Amp by Gamergtx260
- › Fidue A91 Sirius by flinkenick
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...