Hi all. I bought a set of HD 555's about a year ago. When I first bought them, I enjoyed listening to them very much (I only use my headphones to listen to music). They were my first set of "proper" headphones and I thought they were perfect. The sound was clear, and that's about it. Not so long after, I needed to get some new headphones for my iPhone because my official ones kept breaking so I thought I'd go straight to the top end and bought myself a set of Sennheiser IE8's. I am always listening to music on the go so I thought I'd just go for it! For me, it was one of the best desicions I ever made. The 3 main things that I love about them are the fact that the sound is crystal clear, the bass is very strong, and the soundstage is just incredible. After using them everyday for the past year, I don't enjoy listening to my HD 555's anymore. For me, they sound like the complete opposite of the IE8's and I want to buy a new set of headphones for home use. I would appriciate it if you guys could help me decide which I should buy. I want headphones that sound just as good as, if not better than my IE8's (I want them to be full size cans). The 3 main things that the headphones must have is: 1. Fantastic mid-range. 2. Fantastic bass. 3. Fantastic soundstage. My budget is around £300. I keep pushing myself towards the HD 650's but I'm worried that if I buy them, they might not sound anything like what I was expecting. I'm worried that they may sound too similar to my HD 555's. Please, help me!
Related Forum Threads
- Which headphones handle very fast, complex music better: Sennheiser or Grado? [and NOT just hard... Last post on 7/29/12 at 6:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Which sennheiser over ear headphones actually have good bass response? Last post on 7/3/12 at 5:33am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser-closed Last post on 8/1/12 at 9:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The Sennheiser Tier of Headphones Last post on 1/15/12 at 4:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD555 buzzing in left channel. How to fix? Last post on 5/2/11 at 1:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Edited on 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeEdited on 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaEdited on 1/6/13
These are my first pair of cans and straight out of the package they look pretty amazing. When I first put them on I thoroughly enjoyed what i heard. Works well for bluesy songs and there is an...
Overview: The Beats Pro is the Beats' top-of-the-line model, with a lofty price tag of $400. However, its price, along with Beats' reputation with being a hated-on brand, hides the fact that...
The full review can be seen http://www.head-fi.org/t/634760/resonessence-labs-concero-discussion-review-thead/630#post_9465130
Reposting my original review from Amazon.com - these headphones are just too good to be left in the dustbin of history - for instance, I just bought a pair of Monoprice MEP-933, listed everywhere...
Somehow, the Ballad of Jed Clampett comes to mind, as I start to write this. You know, the Beverly Hillbillies. He was living his life, struck gold, and everything changed. That's kind of what...
Upgrade needed from Sennheiser HD 555's...post #1 of 39/9/10 at 3:06pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 39/9/10 at 3:34pm
well, i haven't heard the hd555 but i have heard the hd595 because my friend used to own one, an a lot of people would say these sound the same or better than the stock 555. i also have the ie8. in my honest opinion, my hd650 with new drivers on an entry level tube amp (little dot mk2) beats both in bass (hd595 lacks it, ie8 has it in oodles but the quality is better in the hd650), and soundstage (ie8 with the average_joe mod has improved soundstage, but the stock ie8 will not compete with the hd650, and the hd595 has less than both), and the thing i love most about the hd650 is the way the vocals are presented. they are better than the dt880 and the dt990 as far as mids are concerned, and much more compared to a similarly amped ie8 and hd595 in my experience
i'd say go for the hd650. they were flagship then for a good reasonpost #3 of 39/9/10 at 3:35pm
i'd say go for the hd650. they were flagship then for a good reason
^^^you will be happy with them from the hd555. i want them so bad but cant afford the 400 price tag, but those would be the next step for you, youd probably love them.
- Upgrade needed from Sennheiser HD 555's...
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Audio-Technica ATH-A900X Appreciation Thread. :) 5 seconds ago
- › I Basso HDP R 10 is IBasso DX 100 Japan Version impression and... 7 seconds ago
- › I have stopped using headphones, switched to Speakers and Sub-woofer. 37 seconds ago
- › Audio Setup Questions 1 minute ago
- › Looking for a Neutral Sounding DAC for 500 dollars 1 minute ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › NEW: Audio-Technica ATH-WS55X and ATH-WS33X SOLID BASS headphones 2 minutes ago
- › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP 2 minutes ago
- › Themed Monthly Avatar Committee (TMAC) discussion thread 3 minutes ago
- › King Sound Emperor: New Electrostatic Headphones! 3 minutes ago
- › JVC Victor Head-band Portable Headphones | HA-S500-B Black... by shdl83
- › Beats Pro (High Performance Professional Headphones From... by thatBeatsguy
- › Resonessence Labs Concero by planx
- › Philips in-Ear Headphones Crystal Sound SHE9620/28 (Rose Gold) by DozerCSX
- › Sony MDR-NC40 Noise Canceling Headphone (Black) by UmustBKidn
- › Sennheiser Momentum by iSennheiser
- › [Apollo] IEM Upgrade Cable by Effect Audio by ClieOS
- › Audio Technica ATH-M40FS Precision StudioPhones by UmustBKidn
- › Koss KSC75 Portable Stereophone Headphones by julian67
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by GSARider
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe