Hi all. I bought a set of HD 555's about a year ago. When I first bought them, I enjoyed listening to them very much (I only use my headphones to listen to music). They were my first set of "proper" headphones and I thought they were perfect. The sound was clear, and that's about it. Not so long after, I needed to get some new headphones for my iPhone because my official ones kept breaking so I thought I'd go straight to the top end and bought myself a set of Sennheiser IE8's. I am always listening to music on the go so I thought I'd just go for it! For me, it was one of the best desicions I ever made. The 3 main things that I love about them are the fact that the sound is crystal clear, the bass is very strong, and the soundstage is just incredible. After using them everyday for the past year, I don't enjoy listening to my HD 555's anymore. For me, they sound like the complete opposite of the IE8's and I want to buy a new set of headphones for home use. I would appriciate it if you guys could help me decide which I should buy. I want headphones that sound just as good as, if not better than my IE8's (I want them to be full size cans). The 3 main things that the headphones must have is: 1. Fantastic mid-range. 2. Fantastic bass. 3. Fantastic soundstage. My budget is around £300. I keep pushing myself towards the HD 650's but I'm worried that if I buy them, they might not sound anything like what I was expecting. I'm worried that they may sound too similar to my HD 555's. Please, help me!
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/10/10
- productLittle Dot MK IItagged by System, 9/10/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 9/10/10
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 9/10/10
- productSennheiser HD 555 Headphonestagged by System, 9/10/10
- productSennheiser HD 595 Headphonestagged by System, 9/10/10
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 9/10/10
Related Forum Threads
- Which headphones handle very fast, complex music better: Sennheiser or Grado? [and NOT just hard... Last post on 7/13/14 at 9:18am in Headphones (full-size)
- Which sennheiser over ear headphones actually have good bass response? Last post on 7/3/12 at 5:33am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser-closed Last post on 8/1/12 at 9:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The Sennheiser Tier of Headphones Last post on 1/15/12 at 4:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD555 buzzing in left channel. How to fix? Last post on 5/2/11 at 1:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
First of all, I have bought these headphones exactly one week ago. I have upgraded to these from my Superlux 668b. I will do a review now, and update it after another couple of weeks worth...
I am from China and I'd like to say Chinese people are lucky enough to have the opportunity to reach most of device in the area of audio especially some brand only provided in China.So it made me...
The Theorem 720 is magical.. Using it is like stepping into a foreign land where everything is crisp, detailed, and so very vivid that you’ll never want to leave again for the boring, veiled,...
This is my first DAP. I bought it in August with pre-installed 2.1 firmware and I have to say I am positively surprised how great this player sounds. I honestly can not compare it with other DAPs...
i just bought an Asus Vulcan pro gaming headset on a whim and I've gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised so I thought id share my experience. Now let me qualify this, I'm not saying they have the same...
Upgrade needed from Sennheiser HD 555's...post #1 of 39/9/10 at 3:06pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 39/9/10 at 3:34pm
well, i haven't heard the hd555 but i have heard the hd595 because my friend used to own one, an a lot of people would say these sound the same or better than the stock 555. i also have the ie8. in my honest opinion, my hd650 with new drivers on an entry level tube amp (little dot mk2) beats both in bass (hd595 lacks it, ie8 has it in oodles but the quality is better in the hd650), and soundstage (ie8 with the average_joe mod has improved soundstage, but the stock ie8 will not compete with the hd650, and the hd595 has less than both), and the thing i love most about the hd650 is the way the vocals are presented. they are better than the dt880 and the dt990 as far as mids are concerned, and much more compared to a similarly amped ie8 and hd595 in my experience
i'd say go for the hd650. they were flagship then for a good reasonpost #3 of 39/9/10 at 3:35pm
i'd say go for the hd650. they were flagship then for a good reason
^^^you will be happy with them from the hd555. i want them so bad but cant afford the 400 price tag, but those would be the next step for you, youd probably love them.
- Upgrade needed from Sennheiser HD 555's...
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Lets Talk Metal 9 seconds ago
- › iPhone 6 with 128GB 35 seconds ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 50 seconds ago
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04,... 1 minute ago
- › Best $300 Headphones 2 minutes ago
- › DGS100 Appreciation thread. The game changing budget-fi two-way... 2 minutes ago
- › New headphones or get an Amp? 2 minutes ago
- › [NEW] Audio Technica CKR series (CKR10, CKR9, CKR7) 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!! 3 minutes ago
- › 6SN7 Tube Addicts 3 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by lizhenghong728
- › Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC Headphone Amplifier by cripple1
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by marhol
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Violectric HPA V281 by saxelrod92
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)