Looking for a reasonably priced amp or DIY design or kit amp to drive my Hifiman HE-5's. Any suggestions? What should I look for for output? Cheers, Dub
Related Forum Threads
- Schiit Asgard + HD650 - New guy's opinion Last post on 9/19/12 at 12:33am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- little dot I+ -> Schitt asgard: what can I expect? Last post on 9/9/10 at 12:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The Schiit Valhalla Arrived Last post on 12/6/11 at 6:18am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Does anybody have listening experience on Schiit Asgard and the Matrix M-Stage Last post on 10/1/12 at 7:04pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit Asgard vs Little-Dot MKIII Last post on 8/12/10 at 3:35pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: Yesterday
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: Yesterday
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Vibro Labs - Maya Review November 2016 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Firstly a thanks to Ejong7 & Luke Pighetti @ Vibro labs for...
The Tri-Vista 21 was a limited edition DAC sold in late 2004, early 2005. It was massively overbuilt - great power supply and output stage, and ran extremely long life 5703 milspec tubes, which are...
This headphone has a quite good sound quality for its price. Its sound is very clear, the mids and highs are well detailled. The bass is tight but some recordings sound lacking bass. It needed a...
Gratitude and greetings go out to RHA Team and @Glassmonkey - thank you so much for giving me the...
Recently got ordered these Mee AudioRunaway on-ear headphones as I had some wellness program points that were going to expire. I have had the MEE audio M-Duo Dual Dynamic Driver In-Ear Headphones...
Amp to drive my Hifiman HE-5'spost #1 of 189/8/10 at 7:37pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 189/8/10 at 8:20pm
i'd recommend the schiit asgard solid state amp for the HE-5. the two have great synergy
and the current to drive it effortlessly. it's cheaper than a lot of portable amps
available but outperforms it's price of $249. you also have a 15 day refund policy.
can't beat that.post #3 of 189/8/10 at 9:36pmThread Starterpost #4 of 189/14/10 at 8:52pmpost #5 of 189/15/10 at 5:48amQuote:
Woo2 is OTL best suited for high impedance cans, Look at the 6SE for the HE5post #6 of 189/18/10 at 12:04pm
takezo, I am just curious if you still have that SP extreme? If so, any chance you tried those HE5s on that amp? I know skylab likes these cans with WA6, but I guess asgard is another option. I am looking for something of an upgrade to both my hd650 and he5le (or sidegrade for the former) from my ppx3 if there is a such thingpost #7 of 189/18/10 at 2:50pm
I will second the Asgard recommendation. It is fabulous on my HE-5LEs, and has enough power that it ought to drive the HE-5s well.
An interesting option if you want to recable the HE-5s balanced might be the iBasso Toucan portable amp. Been reported to work well with the HE-5LE, which is less demanding of an amp, but if it still has a good deal of headroom with the HE-5LE it might be a good fit with the HE-5.
And hybrid amps have repeatedly been mentioned as good matches for the HE-5 and HE-5LE. If you don't want to put out the cash for the EF-5, then maybe look at the Indeed G2. Sounded great with my HE-5LEs, with PLENTY of headroom left on the volume dial. Sold exclusively on eBay, they are an upgraded version of the Bravo amps, with better parts and greater tube rolling flexibility.post #8 of 189/19/10 at 9:53pm
I feel that the EF5 is a good match for the HE-5, and would not rule that out at all. I don't own anything cheaper that will drive the HE-5 (or HE-5 LE) as well as the EF5. (I haven't heard the HE-5 on Asgard that was recommended above)post #9 of 1810/2/10 at 9:20ampost #10 of 1810/3/10 at 8:22am
Yes, that has been tried by a number of members here. Don't recall offhand exactly who, but on the HE-6 thread, a number of people also wrote about the improvement that going from a speaker amp's terminal had. I hope to try this soon, as soon as I get around to ordering an adaptor from the terminals to 4-pin XLR for my HE-5LEs. As the HE-5s are more demanding of an amp you may see even more benefit for them....post #11 of 1810/3/10 at 1:01pm
Thanks. Can you let me know where to order an adapter from? (My googles didn't result in anything useful).
I'll try it with my Ming DA 84C Integrated tube amp. I hope the impedance (25ohms?) is not going to be a problem.post #12 of 1810/3/10 at 7:35pmpost #13 of 1810/5/10 at 11:43am
I've ordered one of these from J&R (Amazon):
Qty Model Product Description
1 HOS YPR257 HOSA YPR-257 1/4" TRS (F) to Dual RCAI plan to replace/remove the RCA connectors and attach banana plugs.post #14 of 1810/5/10 at 11:53amQuote:
Larry do you know how much power the EF5 puts out and how musical and detailed is the amp. Is it a contender for the LCD2post #15 of 1810/5/10 at 12:09pmQuote:Originally Posted by MikoLayer
takezo, I am just curious if you still have that SP extreme? If so, any chance you tried those HE5s on that amp? I know skylab likes these cans with WA6, but I guess asgard is another option. I am looking for something of an upgrade to both my hd650 and he5le (or sidegrade for the former) from my ppx3 if there is a such thing " class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="" width="" />
hi, sorry but i don't have the mpx3 slam se anymore. but from memory, it drove the denons d5000 effortlessly with the
6bl7 tubes in the output position, so i'm thinking it will drive the he-5 with plenty of headroom in terms of gain/volume.
whether the he-5 sounds great thru the mpx3 is another matter; unfortunately i don't have it anymore. (sorry for
the late response)
- Amp to drive my Hifiman HE-5's
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 2 seconds ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 7 seconds ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 25 seconds ago
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - What the future holds 32 seconds ago
- › Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1) 1 minute ago
- › Questyle QP1 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 2 minutes ago
- › Remax RM-S1 IEM 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Eddie Current FOUR 45 Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Vibro Labs Maya quad armature in-ear monitors by FortisFlyer75
- › Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC by davehg
- › AKG K 420 Foldable Mini Headphone - Blue by Johannus
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by Takeanidea
- › MEElectronics Air-Fi AF32 Stereo Bluetooth Wireless Headphones with... by e07015
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by dnun8086
- › FiiO X1-II High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation)... by MentalDraco
- › Klipsch R6m Black In Ear Headphone by 1mctous
- › ampsandsound Kenzie Headphone Amplifier by Smazz
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD Black Label by glassmonkey
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear