Looking for a reasonably priced amp or DIY design or kit amp to drive my Hifiman HE-5's. Any suggestions? What should I look for for output? Cheers, Dub
Related Forum Threads
- Schiit Asgard + HD650 - New guy's opinion Last post on 9/19/12 at 12:33am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- little dot I+ -> Schitt asgard: what can I expect? Last post on 9/9/10 at 12:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The Schiit Valhalla Arrived Last post on 12/6/11 at 6:18am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Does anybody have listening experience on Schiit Asgard and the Matrix M-Stage Last post on 10/1/12 at 7:04pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit Asgard vs Little-Dot MKIII Last post on 8/12/10 at 3:35pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
FiiO Mont Blanc for IEM When you pick up the Mont Blanc you feel like you have something substantial in your hand. Not that is is overly heavy, no, it is conveys the impression that this thing...
I borrowed these from a friend as a trial and I can see why he likes them, unfortunately I do not. Let me elaborate on this as it's no justification at all to dismiss these earphone because I...
My main review is here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/752588/review-earwerkz-supra-the-universal-custom-in-ear-monitor. This will house the TL;DR version: From the comfort, custom-like fit,...
Couldn't find much on the internet about these, so I took the plunge. Pros: Nice aesthetics Solid build quality Cheaper than Bose equivalent, looks and feels nicer,...
I don't claim to be an expert audiophile. More of a wannabe. I do love finding under the radar headphones with good value. I can compare this to a few other bluetooth headsets I have spent some...
Amp to drive my Hifiman HE-5'spost #1 of 189/8/10 at 7:37pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 189/8/10 at 8:20pm
i'd recommend the schiit asgard solid state amp for the HE-5. the two have great synergy
and the current to drive it effortlessly. it's cheaper than a lot of portable amps
available but outperforms it's price of $249. you also have a 15 day refund policy.
can't beat that.post #3 of 189/8/10 at 9:36pmThread Starterpost #4 of 189/14/10 at 8:52pm
I love my HE5's. I like the LD MK IV SE for that warm feeling, but for slam & PRAT I prefer it balanced our of the Audio-gd Roc.
Planning on a Woo2 soon!
Under rated headphones.post #5 of 189/15/10 at 5:48amQuote:
Woo2 is OTL best suited for high impedance cans, Look at the 6SE for the HE5post #6 of 189/18/10 at 12:04pm
takezo, I am just curious if you still have that SP extreme? If so, any chance you tried those HE5s on that amp? I know skylab likes these cans with WA6, but I guess asgard is another option. I am looking for something of an upgrade to both my hd650 and he5le (or sidegrade for the former) from my ppx3 if there is a such thingpost #7 of 189/18/10 at 2:50pm
I will second the Asgard recommendation. It is fabulous on my HE-5LEs, and has enough power that it ought to drive the HE-5s well.
An interesting option if you want to recable the HE-5s balanced might be the iBasso Toucan portable amp. Been reported to work well with the HE-5LE, which is less demanding of an amp, but if it still has a good deal of headroom with the HE-5LE it might be a good fit with the HE-5.
And hybrid amps have repeatedly been mentioned as good matches for the HE-5 and HE-5LE. If you don't want to put out the cash for the EF-5, then maybe look at the Indeed G2. Sounded great with my HE-5LEs, with PLENTY of headroom left on the volume dial. Sold exclusively on eBay, they are an upgraded version of the Bravo amps, with better parts and greater tube rolling flexibility.post #8 of 189/19/10 at 9:53pm
I feel that the EF5 is a good match for the HE-5, and would not rule that out at all. I don't own anything cheaper that will drive the HE-5 (or HE-5 LE) as well as the EF5. (I haven't heard the HE-5 on Asgard that was recommended above)post #9 of 1810/2/10 at 9:20ampost #10 of 1810/3/10 at 8:22am
Yes, that has been tried by a number of members here. Don't recall offhand exactly who, but on the HE-6 thread, a number of people also wrote about the improvement that going from a speaker amp's terminal had. I hope to try this soon, as soon as I get around to ordering an adaptor from the terminals to 4-pin XLR for my HE-5LEs. As the HE-5s are more demanding of an amp you may see even more benefit for them....post #11 of 1810/3/10 at 1:01pm
Thanks. Can you let me know where to order an adapter from? (My googles didn't result in anything useful).
I'll try it with my Ming DA 84C Integrated tube amp. I hope the impedance (25ohms?) is not going to be a problem.post #12 of 1810/3/10 at 7:35pmpost #13 of 1810/5/10 at 11:43am
I've ordered one of these from J&R (Amazon):
Qty Model Product Description
1 HOS YPR257 HOSA YPR-257 1/4" TRS (F) to Dual RCAI plan to replace/remove the RCA connectors and attach banana plugs.post #14 of 1810/5/10 at 11:53amQuote:
Larry do you know how much power the EF5 puts out and how musical and detailed is the amp. Is it a contender for the LCD2post #15 of 1810/5/10 at 12:09pmQuote:Originally Posted by MikoLayer
takezo, I am just curious if you still have that SP extreme? If so, any chance you tried those HE5s on that amp? I know skylab likes these cans with WA6, but I guess asgard is another option. I am looking for something of an upgrade to both my hd650 and he5le (or sidegrade for the former) from my ppx3 if there is a such thing " class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="" width="" />
hi, sorry but i don't have the mpx3 slam se anymore. but from memory, it drove the denons d5000 effortlessly with the
6bl7 tubes in the output position, so i'm thinking it will drive the he-5 with plenty of headroom in terms of gain/volume.
whether the he-5 sounds great thru the mpx3 is another matter; unfortunately i don't have it anymore. (sorry for
the late response)
- Amp to drive my Hifiman HE-5's
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 42 seconds ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 1/4/2015:... 1 minute ago
- › Custom AKG V-Moda Boom Pro Adapter (Testers Wanted) 2 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › Is this jack cable "safe" to use? 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 4 minutes ago
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 Over Ear Headphone 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › NVX XPT100 (HM5 clone) - nonexistent bass, tinny and artificial... 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO E12 Mont Blanc by jamato8
- › JVC HA-FX750 Wood Dome Unit Earphone by dnun8086
- › EarWerkz Supra by moedawg140
- › House of Marley - LEGEND ANC by White Lotus
- › Audio Technica S700BT by ironicinori
- › MP4Nation Brainwavz M1 by mark2410
- › DUNU DN-12 Trident by Ghoulcow
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKR10 IN-EAR HEADPHONE TITANIUM SONIC PRO DUAL... by acain
- › Woo Audio 2 by mikoss
- › KAM HP1 by LowDose
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)