Looking for a reasonably priced amp or DIY design or kit amp to drive my Hifiman HE-5's. Any suggestions? What should I look for for output? Cheers, Dub
Related Forum Threads
- Schiit Asgard + HD650 - New guy's opinion Last post on 9/19/12 at 12:33am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- little dot I+ -> Schitt asgard: what can I expect? Last post on 9/9/10 at 12:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The Schiit Valhalla Arrived Last post on 12/6/11 at 6:18am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Does anybody have listening experience on Schiit Asgard and the Matrix M-Stage Last post on 10/1/12 at 7:04pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit Asgard vs Little-Dot MKIII Last post on 8/12/10 at 3:35pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
This is a good amplifier in my limited experience, *but*, it might not better than some of the leading solid-state competitors in this price range ($500-600). I haven't compared it too, for...
Wonderful headset. Very underrated because razer gets a lot of hate for being mainstream
The Awei Q9s are really bang for bucks! You can't go wrong with these! Unless you have tiny ears... Packaging: the packaging is standard. It brings the S/M/L tips and a shirt-clip. However, the...
I just got these in from Koss today and initial impressions are incredibly positive. These are Koss' second best headphone available that I have tried (DJ100, DJ200, PRO4AA, PRO4AAT, PRO4AAAT, and...
Comfort and build quality these would not look out of place at £600. Out of all the headphones I have tried these have the best overall sound which works with every type of music and overall sound...
Amp to drive my Hifiman HE-5'spost #1 of 189/8/10 at 7:37pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 189/8/10 at 8:20pm
i'd recommend the schiit asgard solid state amp for the HE-5. the two have great synergy
and the current to drive it effortlessly. it's cheaper than a lot of portable amps
available but outperforms it's price of $249. you also have a 15 day refund policy.
can't beat that.post #3 of 189/8/10 at 9:36pmThread Starterpost #4 of 189/14/10 at 8:52pm
I love my HE5's. I like the LD MK IV SE for that warm feeling, but for slam & PRAT I prefer it balanced our of the Audio-gd Roc.
Planning on a Woo2 soon!
Under rated headphones.post #5 of 189/15/10 at 5:48amQuote:
Woo2 is OTL best suited for high impedance cans, Look at the 6SE for the HE5post #6 of 189/18/10 at 12:04pm
takezo, I am just curious if you still have that SP extreme? If so, any chance you tried those HE5s on that amp? I know skylab likes these cans with WA6, but I guess asgard is another option. I am looking for something of an upgrade to both my hd650 and he5le (or sidegrade for the former) from my ppx3 if there is a such thingpost #7 of 189/18/10 at 2:50pm
I will second the Asgard recommendation. It is fabulous on my HE-5LEs, and has enough power that it ought to drive the HE-5s well.
An interesting option if you want to recable the HE-5s balanced might be the iBasso Toucan portable amp. Been reported to work well with the HE-5LE, which is less demanding of an amp, but if it still has a good deal of headroom with the HE-5LE it might be a good fit with the HE-5.
And hybrid amps have repeatedly been mentioned as good matches for the HE-5 and HE-5LE. If you don't want to put out the cash for the EF-5, then maybe look at the Indeed G2. Sounded great with my HE-5LEs, with PLENTY of headroom left on the volume dial. Sold exclusively on eBay, they are an upgraded version of the Bravo amps, with better parts and greater tube rolling flexibility.post #8 of 189/19/10 at 9:53pm
I feel that the EF5 is a good match for the HE-5, and would not rule that out at all. I don't own anything cheaper that will drive the HE-5 (or HE-5 LE) as well as the EF5. (I haven't heard the HE-5 on Asgard that was recommended above)post #9 of 1810/2/10 at 9:20ampost #10 of 1810/3/10 at 8:22am
Yes, that has been tried by a number of members here. Don't recall offhand exactly who, but on the HE-6 thread, a number of people also wrote about the improvement that going from a speaker amp's terminal had. I hope to try this soon, as soon as I get around to ordering an adaptor from the terminals to 4-pin XLR for my HE-5LEs. As the HE-5s are more demanding of an amp you may see even more benefit for them....post #11 of 1810/3/10 at 1:01pm
Thanks. Can you let me know where to order an adapter from? (My googles didn't result in anything useful).
I'll try it with my Ming DA 84C Integrated tube amp. I hope the impedance (25ohms?) is not going to be a problem.post #12 of 1810/3/10 at 7:35pmpost #13 of 1810/5/10 at 11:43am
I've ordered one of these from J&R (Amazon):
Qty Model Product Description
1 HOS YPR257 HOSA YPR-257 1/4" TRS (F) to Dual RCAI plan to replace/remove the RCA connectors and attach banana plugs.post #14 of 1810/5/10 at 11:53amQuote:
Larry do you know how much power the EF5 puts out and how musical and detailed is the amp. Is it a contender for the LCD2post #15 of 1810/5/10 at 12:09pmQuote:Originally Posted by MikoLayer
takezo, I am just curious if you still have that SP extreme? If so, any chance you tried those HE5s on that amp? I know skylab likes these cans with WA6, but I guess asgard is another option. I am looking for something of an upgrade to both my hd650 and he5le (or sidegrade for the former) from my ppx3 if there is a such thing " class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="" width="" />
hi, sorry but i don't have the mpx3 slam se anymore. but from memory, it drove the denons d5000 effortlessly with the
6bl7 tubes in the output position, so i'm thinking it will drive the he-5 with plenty of headroom in terms of gain/volume.
whether the he-5 sounds great thru the mpx3 is another matter; unfortunately i don't have it anymore. (sorry for
the late response)
- Amp to drive my Hifiman HE-5's
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Tascam TH-02 - Headphones waiting to be discovered??? (now... 8 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 24 seconds ago
- › Wanted! AK240 or Hugo Chord Mint or New 1 minute ago
- › Desktop or Portable DAC / Amp? Best bang for the buck? 1 minute ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 1 minute ago
- › hfb - Bounce House - chat aka shtpost central 2 minutes ago
- › Winter 2015 AAMML Holiday Gift Exchange 2 minutes ago
- › Need Help with Amp Decision for LCD-3f before deployment 2 minutes ago
- › A little about the Shozy Alien 3 minutes ago
- › Adding lists under components? 4 minutes ago
- › Lehmann Rhinelander by jdpark
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by kigisaru
- › AWEI ES-Q9 Super Bass Wooden Earphones Headphones Headsets Fiber... by Mellowship
- › Koss Pro4S Full Size Studio Headphones, Black with Silver Trim by Zombie_X
- › Shure SRH1540 Headphones by nicholars
- › Sony MDREX10LP/BLK In-Ear Headphones by originalgusbus
- › Shure Sound Isolating Earphone SE315 Hi-Definition Micro Speaker... by acain
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 102 iE In-Ear Headphones (Silver) by Zero Decibels
- › Hidizs AP100 Portable HiFi Audio Player in Black / Silver White by YoYo JoKeR
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by heovuitinh
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)