Looking for a reasonably priced amp or DIY design or kit amp to drive my Hifiman HE-5's. Any suggestions? What should I look for for output? Cheers, Dub
Related Forum Threads
- Schiit Asgard + HD650 - New guy's opinion Last post on 9/19/12 at 12:33am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- little dot I+ -> Schitt asgard: what can I expect? Last post on 9/9/10 at 12:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The Schiit Valhalla Arrived Last post on 12/6/11 at 6:18am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Does anybody have listening experience on Schiit Asgard and the Matrix M-Stage Last post on 10/1/12 at 7:04pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit Asgard vs Little-Dot MKIII Last post on 8/12/10 at 3:35pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Build I've had a lot of headphones in the past and prior to this I thought in the sub 300 price category the Beyer DT990/880 were the best, they certainly still are at the top of the chart but this...
A Brief Review of the FiiO X3 2nd Generation DAP with Comparisons to the Xuelin iHiFi 800. Firstly, I would like to thank Mr. James Chung for allowing this preview of FiiO’s new X3...
Hello all in Head Fi community. This is my first ever review in this forum.I am not an expert in reviewing so I will only use very simple term or definition to convey my message. I just received...
My colleague owns a pair of HD 580. Their sound is very versatile, bass and highs are extended perfectly. Despite that, extreme ends never flood the mids. Whatever you listen to, they will not let...
This review is for Aurisonics Rockets in ears, a little about me I am 38 years old and have been into hi-res audio since I was in middle school. I don't consider myself an audiophile like many on...
Amp to drive my Hifiman HE-5'spost #1 of 189/8/10 at 7:37pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 189/8/10 at 8:20pm
i'd recommend the schiit asgard solid state amp for the HE-5. the two have great synergy
and the current to drive it effortlessly. it's cheaper than a lot of portable amps
available but outperforms it's price of $249. you also have a 15 day refund policy.
can't beat that.post #3 of 189/8/10 at 9:36pmThread Starterpost #4 of 189/14/10 at 8:52pm
I love my HE5's. I like the LD MK IV SE for that warm feeling, but for slam & PRAT I prefer it balanced our of the Audio-gd Roc.
Planning on a Woo2 soon!
Under rated headphones.post #5 of 189/15/10 at 5:48amQuote:
Woo2 is OTL best suited for high impedance cans, Look at the 6SE for the HE5post #6 of 189/18/10 at 12:04pm
takezo, I am just curious if you still have that SP extreme? If so, any chance you tried those HE5s on that amp? I know skylab likes these cans with WA6, but I guess asgard is another option. I am looking for something of an upgrade to both my hd650 and he5le (or sidegrade for the former) from my ppx3 if there is a such thingpost #7 of 189/18/10 at 2:50pm
I will second the Asgard recommendation. It is fabulous on my HE-5LEs, and has enough power that it ought to drive the HE-5s well.
An interesting option if you want to recable the HE-5s balanced might be the iBasso Toucan portable amp. Been reported to work well with the HE-5LE, which is less demanding of an amp, but if it still has a good deal of headroom with the HE-5LE it might be a good fit with the HE-5.
And hybrid amps have repeatedly been mentioned as good matches for the HE-5 and HE-5LE. If you don't want to put out the cash for the EF-5, then maybe look at the Indeed G2. Sounded great with my HE-5LEs, with PLENTY of headroom left on the volume dial. Sold exclusively on eBay, they are an upgraded version of the Bravo amps, with better parts and greater tube rolling flexibility.post #8 of 189/19/10 at 9:53pm
I feel that the EF5 is a good match for the HE-5, and would not rule that out at all. I don't own anything cheaper that will drive the HE-5 (or HE-5 LE) as well as the EF5. (I haven't heard the HE-5 on Asgard that was recommended above)post #9 of 1810/2/10 at 9:20ampost #10 of 1810/3/10 at 8:22am
Yes, that has been tried by a number of members here. Don't recall offhand exactly who, but on the HE-6 thread, a number of people also wrote about the improvement that going from a speaker amp's terminal had. I hope to try this soon, as soon as I get around to ordering an adaptor from the terminals to 4-pin XLR for my HE-5LEs. As the HE-5s are more demanding of an amp you may see even more benefit for them....post #11 of 1810/3/10 at 1:01pm
Thanks. Can you let me know where to order an adapter from? (My googles didn't result in anything useful).
I'll try it with my Ming DA 84C Integrated tube amp. I hope the impedance (25ohms?) is not going to be a problem.post #12 of 1810/3/10 at 7:35pmpost #13 of 1810/5/10 at 11:43am
I've ordered one of these from J&R (Amazon):
Qty Model Product Description
1 HOS YPR257 HOSA YPR-257 1/4" TRS (F) to Dual RCAI plan to replace/remove the RCA connectors and attach banana plugs.post #14 of 1810/5/10 at 11:53amQuote:
Larry do you know how much power the EF5 puts out and how musical and detailed is the amp. Is it a contender for the LCD2post #15 of 1810/5/10 at 12:09pmQuote:Originally Posted by MikoLayer
takezo, I am just curious if you still have that SP extreme? If so, any chance you tried those HE5s on that amp? I know skylab likes these cans with WA6, but I guess asgard is another option. I am looking for something of an upgrade to both my hd650 and he5le (or sidegrade for the former) from my ppx3 if there is a such thing " class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="" width="" />
hi, sorry but i don't have the mpx3 slam se anymore. but from memory, it drove the denons d5000 effortlessly with the
6bl7 tubes in the output position, so i'm thinking it will drive the he-5 with plenty of headroom in terms of gain/volume.
whether the he-5 sounds great thru the mpx3 is another matter; unfortunately i don't have it anymore. (sorry for
the late response)
- Amp to drive my Hifiman HE-5's
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares 43 seconds ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 46 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › Superlux Express Train 1 minute ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 2 minutes ago
- › EarWerkz Legend R. 8 Driver, 7-Way, 6-Crossover Flagship |... 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton? 3 minutes ago
- › Echobox Finder X1 -- One of the pleasant surprises of CanJam 3 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by Zulkr9
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by jdog
- › ZERO AUDIO-ear stereo headphone carbo Basso ZH-DX210-CB by AzimAkbar
- › Sennheiser HD540 Reference Headphones by homesicalien
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by acain
- › Incipio f38 Headphones by ahnvx
- › Bose® IE2 audio headphones by Sarurururu
- › Baldoor EarBell E100 by Ruwetuin
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by mark2410
- › Sony Inner Ear Hi-res Stereo Headphone Xba-a2 Black (Japan Import) by Hawaiibadboy
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2