Looking for a reasonably priced amp or DIY design or kit amp to drive my Hifiman HE-5's. Any suggestions? What should I look for for output? Cheers, Dub
Related Forum Threads
- Schiit Asgard + HD650 - New guy's opinion Last post on 9/19/12 at 12:33am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- little dot I+ -> Schitt asgard: what can I expect? Last post on 9/9/10 at 12:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The Schiit Valhalla Arrived Last post on 12/6/11 at 6:18am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Does anybody have listening experience on Schiit Asgard and the Matrix M-Stage Last post on 10/1/12 at 7:04pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit Asgard vs Little-Dot MKIII Last post on 8/12/10 at 3:35pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 7/26/13
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Remember Edifier? The company that now owns Stax? I recently covered their e10 Exclaim desktop speakers and found them rather impressive for just $99. While making a nice budget speaker is...
This is my first review, so please bear with me if I'm not particularly clear. 1) This is a headphones that takes time to appreciate 2) 1/2 star for the sound quality, 4&1/2 star for getting...
The AH-D7100's immediately became my go-to headphones for daily use since the day I purchased them three weeks ago. They sound much fuller compared to my Beyerdynamic T5P's and produce high sound...
You get what you see. Nothing extra. CNT or "Carbon nano tube" diaphrams/drivers were developed by the Chinese (I studied this) and J.V.C was the first to mass produce it in their...
I could not recommend these headphones more, they sound better than anything else i have had the opportunity to listen to for more than five minutes. They take the best parts of the headphones i...
Amp to drive my Hifiman HE-5'spost #1 of 189/8/10 at 7:37pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 189/8/10 at 8:20pm
i'd recommend the schiit asgard solid state amp for the HE-5. the two have great synergy
and the current to drive it effortlessly. it's cheaper than a lot of portable amps
available but outperforms it's price of $249. you also have a 15 day refund policy.
can't beat that.post #3 of 189/8/10 at 9:36pmThread Starterpost #4 of 189/14/10 at 8:52pm
I love my HE5's. I like the LD MK IV SE for that warm feeling, but for slam & PRAT I prefer it balanced our of the Audio-gd Roc.
Planning on a Woo2 soon!
Under rated headphones.post #5 of 189/15/10 at 5:48amQuote:
Woo2 is OTL best suited for high impedance cans, Look at the 6SE for the HE5post #6 of 189/18/10 at 12:04pm
takezo, I am just curious if you still have that SP extreme? If so, any chance you tried those HE5s on that amp? I know skylab likes these cans with WA6, but I guess asgard is another option. I am looking for something of an upgrade to both my hd650 and he5le (or sidegrade for the former) from my ppx3 if there is a such thingpost #7 of 189/18/10 at 2:50pm
I will second the Asgard recommendation. It is fabulous on my HE-5LEs, and has enough power that it ought to drive the HE-5s well.
An interesting option if you want to recable the HE-5s balanced might be the iBasso Toucan portable amp. Been reported to work well with the HE-5LE, which is less demanding of an amp, but if it still has a good deal of headroom with the HE-5LE it might be a good fit with the HE-5.
And hybrid amps have repeatedly been mentioned as good matches for the HE-5 and HE-5LE. If you don't want to put out the cash for the EF-5, then maybe look at the Indeed G2. Sounded great with my HE-5LEs, with PLENTY of headroom left on the volume dial. Sold exclusively on eBay, they are an upgraded version of the Bravo amps, with better parts and greater tube rolling flexibility.post #8 of 189/19/10 at 9:53pm
I feel that the EF5 is a good match for the HE-5, and would not rule that out at all. I don't own anything cheaper that will drive the HE-5 (or HE-5 LE) as well as the EF5. (I haven't heard the HE-5 on Asgard that was recommended above)post #9 of 1810/2/10 at 9:20ampost #10 of 1810/3/10 at 8:22am
Yes, that has been tried by a number of members here. Don't recall offhand exactly who, but on the HE-6 thread, a number of people also wrote about the improvement that going from a speaker amp's terminal had. I hope to try this soon, as soon as I get around to ordering an adaptor from the terminals to 4-pin XLR for my HE-5LEs. As the HE-5s are more demanding of an amp you may see even more benefit for them....post #11 of 1810/3/10 at 1:01pm
Thanks. Can you let me know where to order an adapter from? (My googles didn't result in anything useful).
I'll try it with my Ming DA 84C Integrated tube amp. I hope the impedance (25ohms?) is not going to be a problem.post #12 of 1810/3/10 at 7:35pmpost #13 of 1810/5/10 at 11:43am
I've ordered one of these from J&R (Amazon):
Qty Model Product Description
1 HOS YPR257 HOSA YPR-257 1/4" TRS (F) to Dual RCAI plan to replace/remove the RCA connectors and attach banana plugs.post #14 of 1810/5/10 at 11:53amQuote:
Larry do you know how much power the EF5 puts out and how musical and detailed is the amp. Is it a contender for the LCD2post #15 of 1810/5/10 at 12:09pmQuote:Originally Posted by MikoLayer
takezo, I am just curious if you still have that SP extreme? If so, any chance you tried those HE5s on that amp? I know skylab likes these cans with WA6, but I guess asgard is another option. I am looking for something of an upgrade to both my hd650 and he5le (or sidegrade for the former) from my ppx3 if there is a such thing " class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="" width="" />
hi, sorry but i don't have the mpx3 slam se anymore. but from memory, it drove the denons d5000 effortlessly with the
6bl7 tubes in the output position, so i'm thinking it will drive the he-5 with plenty of headroom in terms of gain/volume.
whether the he-5 sounds great thru the mpx3 is another matter; unfortunately i don't have it anymore. (sorry for
the late response)
- Amp to drive my Hifiman HE-5's
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- HiFiMAN HE-5No reviews yet.
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Amp/DAC for the LCD-X --- just to nail it, I already did my research 2 minutes ago
- › cmoyBB v2.03R rechargeable 9v model 2 minutes ago
- › Great Modern Classical Recordings 2 minutes ago
- › Official 2014 SoCal Head-Fi Meet, March 22, 2014, Westin South... 2 minutes ago
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 2 minutes ago
- › Comparisons: 13 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around 3 minutes ago
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude