Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Need Your Help Please! Ultrasone Pro900 vs. ATH-ES10 for me?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need Your Help Please! Ultrasone Pro900 vs. ATH-ES10 for me?

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 

Hello Headfi'ers,

 

I need to make a decision fairly soon on this. I like to have a good amount of punch in the mids (not recessed) and I like sharp crispy highs as well.  I do not like the warm sound that is typical on the Sennheisers (except the HD-25).  Something like the ATH-ES7 but I wouldn't mind even more bass.  I like to listen to electronic/trance/dance and sometimes live concert/orchestra recordings, so I like a large soundstage.

 

I had my mind set on the Pro900 for the last few weeks.  I tried them for only a little while so far and I was quite impressed but most of the reason I am interested in them is based on my reading on here.

 

I have not tried the ES10 yet but there are a few good comments on here but some that also make me think twice (not big sound stage and mids or highs may be a little recessed or warmer but I may be wrong on this).

 

Thank you in advance for any of your input!

post #2 of 23

I haven't tried the 900s so I can't comment on them. If you like orchestral music, the ES-10's are phenomenal. I have tried them for a brief period of time and I was blown away by their sense of space and imaging of instruments. Sorry I can't decide for you but I know I'll be getting the ES10's soon. :D 

post #3 of 23
Thread Starter 

Thanks for this information.  Do you recall what the mids and highs were like?  I like crisp, sharp and clear in all parts.  I like clear separation in the sounds.

 

Aside from my specific requests, any other comments are welcome.

 

Thanks!

post #4 of 23

Hi, I feel qualified to reply in that I own both the Pro 900 and the ES10. However, I am not so good at describing what I hear so I'll do my best.

 

To me they both sound great and I'm enjoying both of them for what I use them for. I use the Pro900 at home and the ES10 portably. I'd say the Pro900 probably wins out overall and if they were as sexy as the es10's I'd probably wear them out in public. It's worth noting that I've sort of Kee's modded my Pro900s as before I did I found the highs to be quite harsh and piercing on some songs.

 

Comparing the sound, I'd say the es10's have more forward mids whilst the Pro900 is more laid back. The Pro900 soundstage seems more open and wider to me. I think the highs are better on the Pro900 but before the Kee's mod they were painful for me, the es10 highs are still nice. Both are very good for bass with similar impact, but I'd say the Pro900 has more and extends deeper.

 

I listen to mainly electronic music with some other stuff thrown in, but no orchestral music.

 

For me they are both nice to have, but if I was to choose only one based on sound and not looks I'd probably choose the Pro900. I think considering how they will be used is important as the es10 to me are as close as I can get to the pro900 in a portable package as I'd not walk around outside with the pro900 on my head.

 

Hope this has been helpful in some way!


Edited by shamrock134 - 9/8/10 at 12:03pm
post #5 of 23
Thread Starter 

Hello Shamrock,

 

Thanks for your great information!  I didn't think I would get any response from someone that actually owns (or has owned) both of these HPs.  I bet you are the only one on here.

 

I am pretty new to this hobby still so I am not fully aware of what all the terms mean.  What does it mean when you say that the ES10's mids are more forward?  I gather that it means more aggressive since you say that the Pro900's mids are more laid back.  Am I right?

 

You are making it really hard for me to decide.  If only I had extra (side) money, then I would join your club and go for both.  But that would get me into a lot of trouble, but maybe it would be worth it???

 

On a side note, I am reading that a lot of members on here like the ES10 and highly recommend it but not many of them go into too much detail in describing their sound signature (or maybe I missed them).

 

Thanks!

post #6 of 23

I'm not sure I understand what I mean either! I'm not very good at doing comparisons. By the time I've listened to one headphone, taken it off and put the other one on I've forgotten what the first sounded like!

 

To me it sounded like the vocals (which i assume are mids?) were more upfront on the es10 compared to the pro900, where they were slightly in the background compared to the highs and lows. The sound was overall more in your head with the es10, while the pro900 sounded a bit more spacious for closed cans.

 

Will you be using mainly at home or on the go? Comfort wise, both seem very comfortable to me although the es10 probably wins as it is so light you barely notice it's there.

post #7 of 23

^

 

Which in your opnion has the better tonality? and the tighter bass response? 

post #8 of 23

I also own both, well owned because I sadly just sold my ES10. For portable use the ES10 definitely, but if you own an amp and plan to use them at home the Pro 900 will be a better choice. The bass on the ES10 really impressed me, I thought it reached a tiny bit lower that the Pro and was definitely more pronounced . The ES10 also sounded more upfront and in your face with slightly less recessed mid. The Pro won in the details department by a small margin and the great head stage if you get their S-Logic. My only grip with the ES10 was that my ears used to get quite hot after long listening session. I thought the bass was a bit tighter and more controlled on the Pro but the ES10's bass was phenomenal and more fun.

post #9 of 23

^^

 

I agree with pretty much all of that, to me though it sounds like the Pro900 has more sub-bass although now that I think about it I did uncover another bass hole in the Pro so maybe thats why mine has more/deeper bass lol!

 

As much as I love the ES10 I can't help feel a little bit robbed. For the high price (£320 gbp) it'd be nice if the pads were genuine leather and not pleather and the cable doesn't seem very robust.


Edited by shamrock134 - 9/9/10 at 3:38pm
post #10 of 23
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphyxiation View Post

...If you like orchestral music, the ES-10's are phenomenal. I have tried them for a brief period of time and I was blown away by their sense of space and imaging of instruments. Sorry I can't decide for you but I know I'll be getting the ES10's soon. :D 


I wouldn't say that I listen to orchestral music a lot, but it's kind of that more like the nice headphone effect that makes you listen to things that you otherwise would not normally listen to.  If the HP has a very large sound stage and very good separation of the instruments, it just makes you want to listen to that stuff.  How soon will you be getting yours?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock134 View Post

...Will you be using mainly at home or on the go? Comfort wise, both seem very comfortable to me although the es10 probably wins as it is so light you barely notice it's there.


I would mostly be wearing them on the go.  How do the two compare in isolation?  I thought I read that the ES10 was so-so in sound isolation.  Do you agree?  I can't recall what I heard about the Pro900.  Is the Pro900 much heavier than the ES10?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpunk View Post

I also own both, well owned because I sadly just sold my ES10. For portable use the ES10 definitely, but if you own an amp and plan to use them at home the Pro 900 will be a better choice.

...and the great head stage if you get their S-Logic...

Holy cowsss!  Another member that own(ed) both.  And you are in London too.  I'm in London until next Tuesday night.  It's too bad that you sold your ES10.  It would have been cool to meet up with you and be able to test out both HP at once.  It would be kind of like a mini meet.

 

What do you mean "great stage if you get their S-Logic"?  I thought all Pro900 would have the S-Logic, or do you mean that you get S-Logic sound only if you can get the HP positioned properly on your head.  So if you don't get it positioned right, you don't get the S-Logic sound?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock134 View Post

^^

 

I agree with pretty much all of that, to me though it sounds like the Pro900 has more sub-bass although now that I think about it I did uncover another bass hole in the Pro so maybe thats why mine has more/deeper bass lol!

OK, I'm going to call you out again.  What is sub-bass?

 

I am very very tempted to buy both of these HP now (thanks to you guys).  Silly to be asking you guys this question, but do you think that I will be wasting my money by getting both if they are so similar?

 

Now I have to figure out a way to come up with some extra funds without my wife finding out about their 'true' cost.

post #11 of 23

The Pro 900 is quite a lot heavier than the ES10 but isolation is also quite a lot better. The isolation of the ES10 was actually quite poor and you will have to have them blasting to be able to use them on public transport.

Positioning with the Pro 900 is very important as very small changes affect the soundstage/ tonal balance a lot. My first two weeks were very frustrating as I was not sure how those were supposed to sound. Many people also don't adapt or just dislike the S-Logic presentation. I though that was marketing crap but now  I absolutely love it, it seems to bring together the advantages of both  closed and open cans.

post #12 of 23

By sub-bass I mean the low frequency bass that is felt more than heard, very important in the electronic genres I listen to! (DnB, dubstep)

 

I can't really comment on the isolation of the Pro900 as I've not used it outside, but indoors in a quiet room it seems fine lol. I cycle to work with the ES10 on and at the volumes i listen to (probably too loud!), I can still hear cars driving past.

 

For portable usage I'd say go with the ES10, unless you aren't bothered wearing the far larger Pro900 outside. Also, a portable amp would probably be needed to get the best out of the Pro900.

 

Although it cost me the best part of £600 for both I'm happy with my purchases. Both have their roles and both sound good for my tastes. The Pro900 I find are excellent for games and movies as well as music.

post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpunk View Post

The Pro 900 is quite a lot heavier than the ES10 but isolation is also quite a lot better. The isolation of the ES10 was actually quite poor and you will have to have them blasting to be able to use them on public transport.

Positioning with the Pro 900 is very important as very small changes affect the soundstage/ tonal balance a lot. My first two weeks were very frustrating as I was not sure how those were supposed to sound. Many people also don't adapt or just dislike the S-Logic presentation. I though that was marketing crap but now  I absolutely love it, it seems to bring together the advantages of both  closed and open cans.

 


i cant believe es10 had bad isolation,( wait i can believe but thought otherrwise). does this also mean the esw10 have poor isolation as well..  i also read that the low end left you wanting?

anyway they look very comfortable and i love portable phones that isolate well, thus far i have been unimpressed with virtually every phone i have tried including edition 8 isolation which is totally over rated imo. i was geared toward the new t5p but have read some bad reviews.  imo there is a lack of portable closed phones that isolate as well as have a rich sound.

   i havent tried pro, but i thought the hfi isolation was also lacking, hopefully pro is much better, but damn those esw10 look so comfortable, too bad their isolation probably sucks,  one of the mian reasons i was considering them for travel:(


Edited by RockinCannoisseur - 9/10/10 at 7:42am
post #14 of 23
Thread Starter 

So I am now a new member of the ATH-ES10 Fan Appreciation Club. LOL.  I was in London on a business trip and managed to arrange a transaction with a Head-Fi member (anadin).  The transaction went fairly smoothly, but if you plan to do a face to face transaction with him, make sure that he doesn't go out drinking the night before.

 

So I got them from him on Sunday afternoon and I've been listening to them when I have the chance (and when my wife is not around ).  I am pretty tired from the jetlag so I'm going to have to keep this short.  These headphones really do sound quite amazing and are all of the good things mentioned above and on this board.  They are very light, very good bass (and as Shamrock says 'sub-bass', especially with the Trance music), very nice forward mids, and the highs are just right for others (but I am quite a highs freak as I generally set my EQ on my Touch to "Treble Booster").

 

The isolation is like what others have said but maybe not quite as bad.  Perhaps I set myself up to hear even more outside noise, so maybe that's what you guys should do too.

 

All in all, these HP are keepers.  At least until I get to try out the Pro900.  I have a hunch that I will be keeping both when I get my hands on them too.

 

Cheers.

post #15 of 23

I'm actually thinking to buy the ES10 when next I'm in Japan, so this thread is very helpful as I am also an Ultrasone Head who loves the Pro 900. Thanks guys.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Need Your Help Please! Ultrasone Pro900 vs. ATH-ES10 for me?