I want a pair of headphones that i can use unamped. Anything out there better than the m50's?
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 9/7/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/7/10
- productM-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphonestagged by System, 9/7/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 9/7/10
Related Forum Threads
- Searching for a closed all - rounder under $180 Last post on 6/17/12 at 6:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Good over ear headphones for under $200. What's the best? Last post on 1/27/13 at 9:31pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best bass heavy headphones Last post on 9/6/12 at 5:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- M audio q40 vs dt 770 pro 80 ohms Last post on 5/28/12 at 7:39pm in Headphones (full-size)
- 7 closed headphones vs Dynaudio BM15 monitors (SRH840, ATH-M50, ATH-A900, RH-300, Q40, HFI-680,... Last post on 1/25/13 at 7:08am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: Yesterday
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
best closed headphones for $300/unamped?post #1 of 179/7/10 at 2:05pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 179/7/10 at 2:12pmpost #3 of 179/7/10 at 2:18pm
Check out the M-audio Q40. Personally having owned both the M50 and M-audio Q40, I prefer the Q40. It's like the M50...on steroids. Just does everything a bit better IMO. Both phones are great un-amped.
Another great headphone under 300 that you can drive relatively well is the Denon D2000. I haven't heard the D2000s but they receive great praise on this site. Worth checking out for sure.post #4 of 179/7/10 at 2:21pmpost #5 of 179/7/10 at 2:24pm
What kind of sonic signature are you looking for?
How do you like your music... warm, cool, analytical, bassy, bright, etc.?
What are your source files, and how critical is your listening?
shanepost #6 of 179/7/10 at 2:28pmQuote:Originally Posted by eucariote
Used D5000. If you don't mind a headphone that leaks sound some and also lets everything in.
I dont know, but the D5000's require real amplification to get the most of them. I listened to them with an mp3 player and they loose some of the bass and fidelity..just some of my experience.post #7 of 179/7/10 at 4:48pmQuote:
True, they do improve a lot with good amplification (particularly their bass, which might be their weakest point). Still, among closed headphones that I compared, I liked them most out an ipod and portable amplifiers (and also over a Grado reputed to sound good out an ipod). My ears ranked them:
D5000 > SR225 > SRH840 > DT770 > K271
And to agree with your point, I also found that they improved with my tube amp more than most of those headphones:
DT770 > D5000 > SRH840 > SR225 > K271
Oh noes, I'm sounding like a Denon fanboy.
fwiw, I haven't heard an M50 and people who have heard a lot of closed headphones do like them a lot.
p.s. 500th post!post #8 of 179/7/10 at 6:47pmThread Starterpost #9 of 179/7/10 at 6:51pmpost #10 of 179/7/10 at 7:02pm
What equipment will you be plugging these headphones into?post #11 of 179/7/10 at 9:29pmpost #12 of 179/7/10 at 11:05pm
The HFI-780 is an okay pick for you. I had them for quite a while and I listen to mostly rock. They were okay only if you can handle the harsh treble for a while until it "burns in." If you can't wait a couple of hundred hours I suggest not getting them. By the way the velour earpads for the 780s are a real good investment. Comfort levels go from mehh to yeah!post #13 of 179/7/10 at 11:12pmpost #14 of 179/7/10 at 11:23pmpost #15 of 172/2/14 at 10:39amQuote:
Oh lawd, I had to laugh at this. I listen to trance aswell, and I absolutely hated these, not only did they sound harsh, but I couldn't wear them for more than half an hour before nearly crying at the pain of the headband. It digs into your head and just hurts to wear.
- best closed headphones for $300/unamped?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold 1 minute ago
- › Can I Simply SEE The DSD Files On A Super Audio CD From My PC's CD... 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth! 2 minutes ago
- › The Zishan dsd's corner 2 minutes ago
- › A Bit of Music and a Bit of Fun 3 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 3 minutes ago
- › RHA Dacamp L1, CL1 Ceramic & CL750 Review Tour – Applications Open! 4 minutes ago
- › The Dishonesty of Sighted Listening Tests 5 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 5 minutes ago
- › Don't be shy, contact us directly with problems with your FiiO! 5 minutes ago
- › Super Dolphin 6BA by Hisoundfi
- › AAW Nebula One Titanium Diaphragm In-Ear Monitor by HiFiChris
- › Soundaware Esther by tassardar
- › Cayin i5 by ngoshawk
- › MEE audio M9B Bluetooth Wireless Noise-Isolating In-Ear Stereo... by B9Scrambler
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by Takeanidea
- › Parasound Zpre zone preamplifier by snellemin
- › Campfire Audio Vega by Jackpot77
- › EarSonics Velvet by SeeSax
- › Tony Bennett TBSE1 Signature Edition Headphone - Black/Silver by DJ The Rocket
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear