New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tube dampers

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 

I am looking into buying some tube dampers for my Woo Audio WA5-LE. Does anybody have any experience and preference between the HAL-O from Audio Connection and  the Ultrasonic RX from  Herbie's Audio Labs?

It seem lik ethe main difference is hte contact are of the pads om the tubes where the HAL-O are wider.

 

Thanks.

post #2 of 20

From my post in the Woo Audio amp thread...

 

I've owned the HAL-O's in the past and currently use the UltraSonic's for the power tubes of my WA2.  The HAL-O's are an easier fit because they're made of a flexible polymer and the actual dampers don't slide as much on the tubes since they're made out of a clear rubber material.  The UltraSonic's are nice, but they can be difficult to install on bottle shaped tubes.  The rings can be bent to reduce the tension, but the dampers are a harder material and tend to slide more.

 

I think they're definitely worth buying if you plan on tube rolling.  I have a noisy pair of 6AS7G's and the dampers certainly help.  I haven't tried them on the my preamp and rectifier tubes, but plan on doing so in the future.

post #3 of 20

I have Herbies on my Woo. Really like them.

post #4 of 20
Thread Starter 

Thanks guys. I already placed an order for 3 different sets (2 each) of the Herbie's Rx dampers for my WA5-LE.

post #5 of 20

Hey,my ultrasonic Rx-9 tubes dampers just arrived,want to ask what position will yield good result?Thanks

post #6 of 20

I use mine with the opening pointing towards me.  I highly doubt that the horizontal positioning will affect sound quality.

post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaddy View Post

I use mine with the opening pointing towards me.  I highly doubt that the horizontal positioning will affect sound quality.



Sorry,i think you got my question wrongly..i am asking which part of the tube,either top,bottom or middle part of the tubes to place the damper will work best..thanks

post #8 of 20

I'm guessing you didn't read the instructions that were included?  They should be positioned 1/3rd of the way down from the top of the tube, unless it's a bottle-shaped tube, in which case it'll go around the fattest part of the tube.

post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaddy View Post

I'm guessing you didn't read the instructions that were included?  They should be positioned 1/3rd of the way down from the top of the tube, unless it's a bottle-shaped tube, in which case it'll go around the fattest part of the tube.



Oh,it come in a small zip lock bag only with no instruction sadly.Thanks for the informations,i will try it out then..

post #10 of 20

i'm sure some anally predisposed purists will argue that there is a difference bw dampers but i've always felt that  damper is a damper is a damper ... as for placement of dampers that can matter in some instances depending on the type of tube, if the tubes are microphonic, and the band of audio spectrum one would like to tame ... generally start in the middle and move it up or down til you find the sweet spot

post #11 of 20

I have some  tubes damper from Herbi´s and it is nice.

The dampers change the sound because the tube now has not vibration.

Sometimes it is beter or not like you like the sound

post #12 of 20

has anyone tried the new HAL-O III tube dampers by Herbie's Audio Lab? Would they be that much better than their RX line?

 

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/haloiii.htm

post #13 of 20

bump

post #14 of 20

Only by testing them in your setup would you know if they are better. Every circuit and tube is different. Some tubes and circuits are more susceptible to vibration and dampeners/various dampeners will have varied results.  Herbie offers a money back guarantee so there is no risk in ordering them and giving them a try. If they dont make a difference send them back and get your money back.

post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingStyles View Post

Only by testing them in your setup would you know if they are better. Every circuit and tube is different. Some tubes and circuits are more susceptible to vibration and dampeners/various dampeners will have varied results.  Herbie offers a money back guarantee so there is no risk in ordering them and giving them a try. If they dont make a difference send them back and get your money back.


Thanks for the info.

 


Edited by Ahzari - 1/22/12 at 3:11am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: