I vastly prefer the T1 to the HD800 by quite a bit. It just seems to fit my tastes much better than the HD800, though I will still buy a HD800 down the road.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 3/8/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-AD2000tagged by System, 3/8/12
- brandBeyerdynamictagged by System, 9/7/10
- productbeyerdynamic Tesla T1tagged by System, 9/7/10
- productGrado HP-1000tagged by System, 3/8/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/7/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 9/7/10
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 9/7/10
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 9/7/10
- productSPL Auditortagged by System, 12/7/11
Related Forum Threads
- Which headphone should I take for Metal Music? Last post on 11/14/11 at 4:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
- This may sound silly but... Last post on 9/4/10 at 9:29pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread Last post on Yesterday at 7:09 pm in High-end Audio Forum
- HD800 or T1 balanced? Last post on 8/16/10 at 5:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New headphones as good or better than the HD800 and T1 to hit the market soon? Last post on 8/20/10 at 5:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 7/28/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 7/31/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Name- DUNU TITAN 1 Manufacturar- Dunu-topsound, a chinese company. Price- 115$, I got them for around 169SGD from Lend me ur ears, Singapore. Description- First, some note about me. I am a 25...
I was offered to review these for Brainwavz and I agreed. I am not affiliated with the company, and have no bias towards or against them. This review will be my unbiased opinion on...
BEYERDYNAMIC iDX 160 iE INTRO If you're reading this you must be a Head-Fi member or just looking at reviews for a new pair of headphones or iem’s. Let me introduce myself, my name is Adam...
Table of Contents Introduction Features and Ergonomics Sound Quality With IEMS With full-size headphones Comparisons to other audio gear For whom is this player good...
Introduction: There seems to be quite a bit of discussion and disagreements regarding HIFIMAN’s (HFM) newest headphone, the HE400S. Some have praised the HE400S as being a giant slayer while other...
Review: Beyerdynamic T1 vs Sennheiser HD800 - Page 8post #106 of 1109/24/10 at 3:45pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #107 of 1109/24/10 at 4:02pmQuote:The T1s are great headphones but more forgiving than the HD800s. The Sennheisers almost NEED tubes to shine, but then they reward with a very fine, fatigue-free sound that is very realistic and natural with great vocals and a very deep warm unbloated bass. The T1s also respond well to better upstream gear, but they also work well with lesser equipment and solid-state amps.
I use both my T1s and HD800s with tubes and solid state - a Darkvoice 337SE, Meier Prehead, Ray Samuels HR-2 and SPL Auditor. I get the same results whether using tubes or solid state, and prefer both with solid state.Quote:I would say the T1s are more like Harbeth or other British-sound speakers, that, by design, work well with lots of sources. (But the T1s actually sound better than Harbeth speakers to me in terms of detail retrieval and truth-in-tonality.)
As a Harbeth SHL5 owner, I also don't agree with this.
Edited by Ross - 9/24/10 at 4:08pmpost #108 of 11010/11/10 at 12:31amThread Starter
Amp Comparison: Rockhopper M3 vs SPL Auditor, w/ Sennheiser HD800
Music used for this comparison:
- Eva Cassidy - Songbird - "Autumn Leaves"
- Julia Fischer - Bach Concertos - Concerto for two violins in D minor - "I. Vivace", "III. Allegro"
- Katie Melua - Piece by Piece - "Shy Boy"
- Laika - Sounds of the Satellites - "Almost Sleeping"
- Priscilla Ahn - A Good Day - "Dream"
- Trifonic - Emergence - "Transgenic"
- Zero 7 - When It Falls - "Home"
Between these two amps for the HD800 specifically, I thought the M3 was the better amp and that the SPL was flat out not very good for it. I also ended up concluding that the SPL and T1 paired well together while the M3 and HD800 also paired well together - and that these are probably the ideal pairs from the equipment that I own.
When paired with the SPL, the HD800 consistently revealed a less-than-desirable quality that was sort of hard to pin down exactly - I can't really find the words to express it, but it almost felt like an artificial, synthetic type of sound, most noticeable around vocals and full-range instruments. It almost made music sound like it was being waveguide MIDI-synthesized, not particularly "real" or "physical." I considered this a detraction from the music - but will add that this wasn't an issue on the T1, just the HD800. In contrast there were no such issues on the M3, which had a nice full mid-range, nothing "synthetic" about it. The M3 brought proper body and fullness to instruments and vocals and made them sound "existential" while the SPL tended to make things sound almost "ghostly" in contrast. It could be said that the SPL had a thin, disembodied mid-range compared to the fuller, rich mid-range of the M3, and since the HD800's sound lacks mid-range to an extent (IMO at least), I thought the M3 filled in for this weakness nicely. It definitely added some much-needed balance to the violins on the Julia Fischer CD as they sounded too wispy on the SPL, with not enough substance, but they sounded more natural on the M3 and the "character" of sound from a wooden source (as in, a violin) was correctly conveyed only on the M3.
In the aspect of treble, the SPL's highlighting of details like guitar plucks and sliding made the HD800 sound more treble-tilted than usual, but it wasn't too bad. Some people would probably find it too grating though, and in my case, I thought the resulting treble was not really pleasant to listen to (and I personally like treble in general). Conversely, the SPL had a relative bass sinkhole to match and didn't really help out the HD800 in that aspect. It mostly simply lacked a heavy bass presence in general. The M3, on the other hand, had strong & deep bass, with good impact and power, allowing the HD800 to really assert its bass power. The SPL simply held back too much and did not produce what I thought was a satisfactory level of bass quantity.
Finally, the HD800 clearly showed the soundstage differences between the two amps and revealed a facade behind the SPL - it tended to sound more like it was translating "air" as literal displacement of every layer in the music. Or in other words, the SPL seemed to push everything backwards for the illusion of a deeper soundstage instead of accurately depicting the size. This double-expansion of soundstage with the HD800 (as I also think the HD800 has a larger-than-necessary soundstage) made for distracting listening sessions where it just seemed too over-the-top. Fortunately the M3 recovered a much more accurate soundstage in comparison, smaller in overall depth but it actually seemed to have more width, with a better lateral left-right span that really accentuated the positions of musical elements panned hard left or right.
If I had to sum up the "sound" of each amp, I would describe the SPL Auditor as "pure, colorless, ghostly, synthetic" and the M3 as "vivid, physical, tactile."
Edited by Asr - 10/11/10 at 12:34ampost #109 of 11010/11/10 at 2:56pm
As a Harbeth SHL5 owner, I prefer my PS1000s and my T1s to my speakers.
I never thought I'd say this because I've been a speaker guy
all my life but the newest crop of phones in the last year or 2 have been a breakthrough I believe.
Edited by rgs9200m - 10/11/10 at 2:58pm
- Review: Beyerdynamic T1 vs Sennheiser HD800
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › V-MODA CROSSFADE WIRELESS: Exclusive Pre-Sale $150 Voucher, Video,... 44 seconds ago
- › Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp 44 seconds ago
- › Aune X1S 32bit DSD DAC worldwide review tour ------reviewers... 1 minute ago
- › Bose SoundTrue vs ATH-M50x 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread 4 minutes ago
- › Ibasso DX80 8 minutes ago
- › 🇬🇧 CanJam London 2015 Impressions Thread! August 29-30, 2015! 8 minutes ago
- › The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Ultrasone Signature DJ 9 minutes ago
- › Melodious MX-U8 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip 11 minutes ago
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by areek
- › Brainwavz Jive by jasonb
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by acain
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by chowmein83
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by Cotnijoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by ClieOS
- › Shozy Lancea mini dac amplifier 24bit/192khz for Android/iOS/PC/iPhone by peter123
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by muxamed
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by Bansaku
- › Astell&Kern AK380 Ultimate High Fidelity Portable Music Player by piercer
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2